PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams can not be done or....

cornball
02-08-2002, 10:57 PM
he is playing both sides of the fence.

For instance: Crede and Rowand are major league ready right now, but are not championship ready. He has also said look at the championship teams they all have experience. (this was said a few times this week on the radio as recently as tonight on AM 1000)

Well all this is true, however is Garland, Wright, Biddle,Glover or whoever are your last three starters......are they championship ready?

All mentioned have great potential, however it leads me to believe he is not done. He is going for it this year is what he said.

With the Dodgers recent signing it may lead to something.

RichH55
02-08-2002, 11:05 PM
Well He was trying to make one of those juggular type deals with Erstad earlier this offseason......Ritchie should be an upgrade....I really think 2003 is the year to go for it....11-15 million extra on the budget, another couple of kids should develop, emergence of LTP, and with that extra payroll pocket and the logjam of quality youth you should be able to pry a quality major league player from somewhere and help put your team over the hump....I think KW is going to be a gambling type of GM for his tenure here(for better or worse)....Given time he should be a fine GM, but there will be growing pains(Clayton)...I think along the same lines as Schueler...of course Im an optimist, but he seems like he will tinker and go for it when he can

cornball
02-08-2002, 11:47 PM
2003 will be interesting considering contraction possiblities and Durham, Clayton, Alomar most likely gone.....but remember championship players is what he said.

I like most of KW deals ...I like the chances he has taken.

Daver
02-08-2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by cornball
2003 will be interesting considering contraction possiblities and Durham, Clayton, Alomar most likely gone.....but remember championship players is what he said.

I like most of KW deals ...I like the chances he has taken.

I am willing to take wagers on contraction actually happening in 2003.

beausox
02-09-2002, 12:07 AM
Whether or not contraction happens in 2003 (I bet Montreal ends up relocating to either DC or Vegas), 03 would be our best shot at the whole thing. We will have extra money to spend in a deep free agent pool, our top prospects will be major league ready, and we should know how some of our other players fit into our plan.

However we must not be rash or count on 2003. Our goal should be to win every year. We have a good shot this year. Also we should not spend money just to spend money. We did that with Alomar and look what happened, were stuck with him. We need to sign quality guys to fill our biggest holes, we should never depend on Free agents to give us our base to build on, that base should always come from the system, which it has.

I stand by KW, except for the Clayton deal (we didn't need another SS, plus it cost us Myette) and signing Alomar he has done well. He got Osuna for nothing, got two young pitchers for Baldwin, a good prospect for Singleton, a good pitche rfor two young guys (that may be the one I'm least fond of), the David Wells deal turned out to be a push, he got a decent pitcher for Perry, and of course HE TURNED SCOTT EYRE INTO GARY GLOVER. I'm just glad neither McPHail or Ed Lynch is anywhere near our bullclub. I would love to have Schueler and Dane Evans back, but Roland Hemond and Ken Williams have done pretty well overall.

Daver
02-09-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by beausox
I would love to have Schueler and Dane Evans back, but Roland Hemond and Ken Williams have done pretty well overall.

Dan Evans is the laughingstock of the left coast right now,and Ron Schueler did nothing in his last three years on the job.Would you want Dan Evans making deals with the Sox farm system based on what he has done in LA?

bringbackrobin
02-09-2002, 03:04 AM
The General Managers job is not an either or thing. Neither Dan Evans nor KW were right for the job.

We could do a lot worse than KW, but that hardly counts as an endorsement.

Daver
02-09-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
The General Managers job is not an either or thing. Neither Dan Evans nor KW were right for the job.

We could do a lot worse than KW, but that hardly counts as an endorsement.

Can you offer a name of someone that was better qualified?

bc2k
02-09-2002, 04:51 AM
I am glad KW is our GM. At the time he made his trades, I agreed with all of them. The only move I don't like is not trading for Osuna, but signing him before he made one pitch. That contract belonged to Sean Lowe. We all talk about his cajones in trades, but I also respect him for calling a press conference just to defend himself and call out Toronto's GM. Forgive me, but I forgot that gm's name. But I have a feeling some intelligent wsi member will let me know.

cornball
02-09-2002, 08:56 AM
KW has done a great job in my opinion. The farm system is the backbone. There are so many prospects it is impossible to keep them all.

KW is talking championship!

Management and fans alike have always talked about winning and being competitive. It is refreshing to hear this type of talk.

Champions are not won by prospects or rookies....so who will he trade for in the coming weeks to be on the starting staff?

voodoochile
02-09-2002, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by daver

Dan Evans is the laughingstock of the left coast right now,and Ron Schueler did nothing in his last three years on the job.Would you want Dan Evans making deals with the Sox farm system based on what he has done in LA?

Now Now, let's be fair... He did manage to drink several cases of scotch...

:)

MarqSox
02-09-2002, 01:19 PM

Dan Evans is the laughingstock of the left coast right now,and Ron Schueler did nothing in his last three years on the job.

Well, Schueler did nothing, save building a team with the best record in baseball in 2000...

Tragg
02-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I am glad KW is our GM. At the time he made his trades, I agreed with all of them. The only move I don't like is not trading for Osuna, but signing him before he made one pitch. That contract belonged to Sean Lowe. We all talk about his cajones in trades, but I also respect him for calling a press conference just to defend himself and call out Toronto's GM. Forgive me, but I forgot that gm's name. But I have a feeling some intelligent wsi member will let me know.

KW has not seriously addressed any of our weaknesses - shortstop, catcher, left handed relief, a general shortage of left handed bats, and center field.

Oh, he's made a stop gap move or two, most of which were poor (trading minor league talent for a stiff like clayton, e.g.). But in the end, we are no better than we were 2 years ago, our farm system isn't as strong, and our good players are 2 years older.

Yes, he hasn't ruined us, but he hasn't helped us either.

cornball
02-09-2002, 05:42 PM
I think KW has addressed alot of our needs and i think he will continue too. Sure not all of the moves have worked, but he is in a great position. A surplus of talent is certain spots on the field to deal from if needed plus prospects.

The thing this team needs right now is starting pitching....pitching wins in league.

If he can pull off another major league starter we will be tough and pray they catch the ball....hahaha

doublem23
02-09-2002, 07:06 PM
and Ron Schueler did nothing in his last three years on the job.

:manos :bionic
Ahem

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 03:18 AM
:KW
"Quite honestly, this whole thing is starting to piss me off"

RichH55
02-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

KW has not seriously addressed any of our weaknesses - shortstop, catcher, left handed relief, a general shortage of left handed bats, and center field.

Oh, he's made a stop gap move or two, most of which were poor (trading minor league talent for a stiff like clayton, e.g.). But in the end, we are no better than we were 2 years ago, our farm system isn't as strong, and our good players are 2 years older.

Yes, he hasn't ruined us, but he hasn't helped us either.

SS :manos
No Issues

CF :kenny
Stopgap til LTP(who should ease any doubts about CF for a long time)

C is a sieve but its weak league wide

Im not fretting about Myette being gone, the problem is that Royce is still here....Overall Id say its too early to tell on KW...though im in the optimists camp generally

bjmarte
02-11-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

No Issues

C is a sieve but its weak league wide

Im not fretting about Myette being gone, the problem is that Royce is still here....Overall Id say its too early to tell on KW...though im in the optimists camp generally

This pretty well describes how I feel precisely. I think this is becoming a trend. I am as surprised as anyone is.

Tragg
02-11-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

No Issues

I'm probably about to embarass myself, but who is LTP.

Oh, and fraid so, their are a lot of ss issues.

Daver
02-11-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

I'm probably about to embarass myself, but who is LTP.

Oh, and fraid so, their are a lot of ss issues.

LTP=Joe Borchard.

FarWestChicago
02-11-2002, 08:50 PM

LTP=Joe Borchard. Daver, you're supposed to give the link. You know, the old give a man a fish or teach him to fish thing. :smile:

Daver
02-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Daver, you're supposed to give the link. You know, the old give a man a fish or teach him to fish thing. :smile:

I get paid to fish.:redneck