PDA

View Full Version : Cards- "They were stealing our signs"

Whitesox4ever
06-23-2006, 05:46 AM
From the STLTODAY

The White Sox were 40-for-88 with 15 extra-base hits and 33 runs the first two games. The outburst not only heightened suspicion that Mulder wasn't sound, but also that the White Sox dugout may have been exercising gamesmanship. During Wednesday's rout, the Cardinals dugout became convinced a center field camera was tipping pitches to the home team. Signs were changed after the fifth inning, and the White Sox went four for 36 with one extra-base hit and one run after the switch.

"Let's put it this way," one club source said. "They looked like they knew what was coming the first two nights. They looked like they had no idea tonight. You figure it out."
http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/images/spacer.gif

KRS1
06-23-2006, 06:12 AM
From the STLTODAY

The White Sox were 40-for-88 with 15 extra-base hits and 33 runs the first two games. The outburst not only heightened suspicion that Mulder wasn't sound, but also that the White Sox dugout may have been exercising gamesmanship. During Wednesday's rout, the Cardinals dugout became convinced a center field camera was tipping pitches to the home team. Signs were changed after the fifth inning, and the White Sox went four for 36 with one extra-base hit and one run after the switch.

"Let's put it this way," one club source said. "They looked like they knew what was coming the first two nights. They looked like they had no idea tonight. You figure it out."

Look at Mulder's ERA his last few times out, and consider Marquis is not nearly as good as some Cards fans think, couple that with the fact they werent facing a weak NL team as per usual, and I think the answer lies somewhere in there.

Run-on sentence? Maybe.

voodoochile
06-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Dave Duncan: These are some great grapes...

Larussa: No, they are too sour...:rolleyes:

Erik The Red
06-23-2006, 06:56 AM
couldn't resist :D:

soxruleEP
06-23-2006, 07:59 AM
From the STLTODAY

Reyes pitched better than Mulder and Marquis, that's what happened.

And they still won. You figure it out.

samram
06-23-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm really happy that I've never been one of those who rooted for the Cards just because they are the Cubs' rival. **** the Cardinals. Get someone out. Can't face the Pirates every night anymore, kids.

DrCrawdad
06-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Did the Sox cheated?

I don't believe the Sox cheated. St. Louis may feel cheated, but that does not mean the Sox cheat.

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2006, 08:48 AM
Wow, it's unbelievable what lengths people will go to just so they don't have to give credit to the Sox. :rolleyes:

jenn2080
06-23-2006, 08:54 AM
PURE CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

salty99
06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
This reminds of when Buehrle accused the Rangers of cheating last year with the light system in center field. So now the shoe's just on the other foot. I doubt anything was going on in both cases.

jdm2662
06-23-2006, 09:19 AM
This reminds of when Buehrle accused the Rangers of cheating last year with the light system in center field. So now the shoe's just on the other foot. I doubt anything was going on in both cases.

I said Buehrle was a moron when he said that, and I will say the same thing here. Unless you have concrete proof, quit your whinning.

DMarte708
06-23-2006, 09:20 AM
Wow, it's unbelievable what lengths people will go to just so they don't have to give credit to the Sox. :rolleyes:
Duncan had to feel his collar tightening a little bit after the first two games. A conspiracy theory sounds better than admitting, perhaps, his pitchers were simply ineffective.

Cardinals should be mad at themselves for spoiling an eight inning, 1 hit performance from a pitcher making his major league debut. Do they know how bad Garcia has been pitching lately?

PatK
06-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Cheating? Since when does the fact that you opponents leave the ball over the fat part of the plate and not pitch inside make you a cheater?

maurice
06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
Cards pitching sucked before the series with the Sox.
Sox hitting was hot before the series with the Cards.
The Sox typically kill fastball pitchers but have trouble with guys who throw good changeups.
You don't need to steal signs to know that Marquis is going to throw fastball strikes.
Mulder sucks now.
The Sox raked in several recent ROAD games.
The Sox raked when they had a runner on second and the Cards (presumably) changed the signs.
Therefore, stealing signs did not cause the Sox to destroy the Cards ****ty pitching.

Cards = :whiner:

QED

SoxFan78
06-23-2006, 10:12 AM
From the STLTODAY

The Sox did cheat before the games one and two. Ozzie was playing Contra on his NES in the clubhouse and before the game entered the code "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start". That gave a special power up to the Sox hitters.

Since Ozzie was not allowed in the clubhouse before the game on Thursday, he could not put in the code.

Iwritecode
06-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Cardinals should be mad at themselves for spoiling an eight inning, 1 hit performance from a pitcher making his major league debut.

I think they said that was his 4th major league start.

Iwritecode
06-23-2006, 10:27 AM
From the STLTODAY

So they waited until after the Sox had already scored 33 runs to change their signs? Then they're convinced that that was the problem? :rolleyes:

I also noticed that the 5th inning was when they finally changed pitchers. That's when Looper came in. Then Wainwright came in after him. Maybe, just maybe it's possible that the pitchers giving up all the runs just weren't effective and those two pitchers were?

spiffie
06-23-2006, 10:41 AM
The Sox hired the scoreboard guy from the Rangers.

Now we just need someone to accuse Mark of throwing a spitter to make the circle of accusations complete.

silenceofthehawk
06-23-2006, 10:56 AM

Didn't the Sox accuse the Rangers of the same thing last season?

Chicken Dinner
06-23-2006, 11:44 AM
You have a tendency to say things like that when your team ERA goes up 40 points in 2 games.

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Didn't the Sox accuse the Rangers of the same thing last season?

Yes but my comment stems from the constant crap coming from people ever since the World Series with A.J.'s dropped third strike call and other things, like calls that "went our way" and all kinds of b.s. As if the team doesn't deserve credit for just being one hell of a baseball team.

Mary Otti
06-23-2006, 12:26 PM
According to a Cardinals "club source" the Sox were pasting the Cards because the "centerfield camera" was capturing the Cards signs. It had nothing to do with the junk M & M were throwing, I guess.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/7AE552C9F6A6C9CB86257196004297D0?OpenDocument

JohnBasedowYoda
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Those big babies. Whenever a team gets humiliated they have to make an excuse.

I'm sure Tony won't let this fly.

russ99
06-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Nice excuse, guys... Kinda like your season last year. :tongue:

Uncle_Patrick
06-23-2006, 12:30 PM
I wonder who their source was? Dave Duncan? He seems to be in a cry baby-ish mood lately.

RSN33
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Not saying it did or did not happen, but if you look back at the game log and how many FIRST pitches were hit (for extra-base hits) in the second inning alone, as well as the numbers after the sign *change*, it's not all that far fetched.

However, if I'm the White Sox, I'm thinking "why didn't you change them when the game was 2 or 3-1 instead of 20!!"

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
I just want to know what "sign" or camera they were talking about??????

Shoeless_Jim
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
ha

that still doesnt explain why they only scored 11 runs in 3 games and only had a few hits last night,:dtroll:

McCuddy
06-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I don't have the box score in front of me, but at what point were substitutions made?

SouthSide2Ship
06-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Who else is sick of this stuff...We kicked their ass, get over it!!!

Was a camera tipping off White Sox to pitches?
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
06/23/2006

Mod edit: Copying/pasting copyrighted material gets you banned. Take a 3-day break.

WizardsofOzzie
06-23-2006, 12:43 PM
:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Once again, the media taking away from the fact that the cardnials (mainly Ponson) played really damn dirty!

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2006, 12:43 PM
"Let's put it this way," one Cardinals source said Thursday night. "They looked like they knew what was coming the first two nights. They looked like they had no idea tonight.

"You figure it out."

-- JOE STRAUSS

I figured it out. The first two nights your pitchers SUCKED. The third night your pitcher was ON.

Very simple.

EDIT: Whoops...sorry for the copy & paste of copyrighted info. Delete if needed!

Over By There
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
Part of the game. Get over it.

Jerko
06-23-2006, 12:44 PM
So, the Sox only know the Cardinals' signs, a team they haven't played in years???? LaRussa still using the same signs from 20 years ago? He's not smart enough to change them BEFORE the series starts if he's SO worried about it? Why did they score 13 runs the NIGHT AFTER the signs were changed? I guess EVERY home team should score 20 runs every game and be unbeaten. GMAB Cardinals. You're really a whiny bunch. :rolleyes: I guess you're used to having it easy in that **** league you play most of your games in.

Minnie Me
06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/b/babyhuey~~~_babyhueys_101b.jpgI'm still the biggest baby in Chicago, but them Cards ain't far behind.

rdwj
06-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I think that there might be something to that stealing signs thing. I was near the camera in question and saw the guy signaling "center cut 85 mph fastball" and "hanging curve ball"!

We should be ashamed of ourselves!

itsnotrequired
06-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I just want to know what "sign" or camera they were talking about??????

Probably the same one that the Rangers used to steal Buehrle's signs.

:rolleyes:

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Probably the same one that the Rangers used to steal Buehrle's signs.

:rolleyes:tsk tsk... The Rangers used lights.... guess we're not as evolved on the cheating evolution.... stuck in the 19th century and all

Rob190
06-23-2006, 12:50 PM
It's possible that the Cards were tipping their pitches, if so thats not cheating.

russ99
06-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I wonder who their source was? Dave Duncan? He seems to be in a cry baby-ish mood lately.

Maybe it's cause we beaned his kid!

spawn
06-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm just disappointed that that camera hasn't been used at every home game. We'd be undefeated, and scoring 12-20 runs a game! But no, we hold off until the Cards come to town. That's why we won the WS last year...Stealing signs!!!:rolleyes:

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Cry me a river.

oeo
06-23-2006, 01:02 PM
I'm sick of our opponents and the media trying to make a controversy out of everything. It's getting really old.

I guarantee there is another incident with HBPs, this weekend, with douchebag-Garner in the visiting dugout. Is there seriously a team out there that doesn't want to start ****?

WizardsofOzzie
06-23-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm sick of our opponents and the media trying to make a controversy out of everything. It's getting really old.

I guarantee there is another incident with HBPs, this weekend, with douchebag-Garner in the visiting dugout. Is there seriously a team out there that doesn't want to start ****?

Tampa Bay Devil Rays??

jenn2080
06-23-2006, 01:09 PM

Agree it is one thing after another after another. Instead of getting props for us winning and our fabulous team, we have to listen to what a bad guy AJ is, Brian Anderson being a piss poor center fielder and Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie. Shut the **** up already. Cant the world just all agree that we should hate the Yankees and that be that?

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2006, 01:09 PM
I guess that's the excuse now everytime a team gives up 10+ runs. "They were stealing signs". *****. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, you SUCKED that night?

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2006, 01:10 PM
Cant the world just all agree that we should hate the Yankees and that be that?And the Red Sox and the Cubs

WizardsofOzzie
06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
And Mulder gets placed on the DL. All that sign stealing made him strain his left shoulder!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260622104

bottom of the page

FedEx227
06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, what terrible people we are, taking his 85 mph fastballs deep.

Professional hitters absolutely can't hit 85 fastballs and hanging curve balls. Plus Joe Crede clearly knew his home run ball was going to be a wild slider in the dirt. *****

jenn2080
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
I guess that's the excuse now everytime a team gives up 10+ runs. "They were stealing signs". *****. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, you SUCKED that night?

oh and the night before too

JUribe1989
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
I thought it was a dumbass statement when Buehrle said it, and I think the same thing now.

SoxWillWin
06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
and we had someone in cincinnati helping us too.....

slobes
06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow I actually laughed when I read this. Mulder just sucked that first night, he didn't have any good stuff whatsoever. This is ridiculous.

PKalltheway
06-23-2006, 02:01 PM
and we had someone in cincinnati helping us too.....
Yeah, you're telling me. Seriously though, even though we didn't beat Cincinnati nearly as bad as we beat St. Louis (we still beat 'em pretty bad though), at least they acted like men and owned up to their beating. The Cardinals are acting like a bunch of five-year-olds. Grow up already. You just got swept by a better team. Period.:cool:

Dan Mega
06-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Paging St. Louis dugout...paging St. Louis dugout...your ride has arrived:
http://www.geocities.com/mr_patriots/waaabulance.bmp

TDog
06-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope the Tigers don't steal their signs this weekend.

Since the Padilla game, the Sox have absolutely kicked but, winning four on the road before sweeping the Cards at home.

To win a game with your offense a man reaching on an error and a solo home run is awesome. Any team can win if they score 20 runs. I can only think of one MLB team that ever lost scoring more than 20 runs, but I won't name it because this is the Clubhouse.

Chisox003
06-23-2006, 02:46 PM
I don't even consider stealing signs cheating to be honest.

Whatever it takes to win.

That said, this sounds like some sour grapes. :whiner:

I guess when you get your brains beat in during the first 2 games then can't even muster a lousy run (on the same night your star player returns) in the finale, excuses are to be expected.

Edit: Jenn why do you have the # of fights in your section...in your sig?

Dick Allen
06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
So they waited until after the Sox had already scored 33 runs to change their signs? Then they're convinced that that was the problem? :rolleyes:

I also noticed that the 5th inning was when they finally changed pitchers. That's when Looper came in. Then Wainwright came in after him. Maybe, just maybe it's possible that the pitchers giving up all the runs just weren't effective and those two pitchers were?Exactly, I think it correlated more with who was pitching than with stealing signs. Idiots. Does anyone also remember a few years back in St. Louis, in a game where a substitute umpire called a Cardinals batter safe when he was clearly out at first on what would have and should have been a game-ending double play? Big Frank turned to argue while the tying run scored, Frank was thrown out, and the Sox lost in extra innings. I'd say that falls more under the guise of "cheating".

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone else hoping the Tigs lay a thrashing on these guys in just one game to prove, its not cheating, its just the fact the NL sucks? I don't know who else they play in our division but the Tigs are prolly the only other team that could pound them like us right now.....

QCIASOXFAN
06-23-2006, 03:14 PM
I actually used to tolerate the Cards but after this **** those idiots. For some reason where I live there is a large fan base of Cardinals fans and I totally would root for them because I never had any problem with the Cards. There is no way in hell that team is going to the world series or for that matter even make the playoffs. I see the Astros heating up and taking that division and the Cards not making the wildcard.

fuzzy_patters
06-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Anyone else hoping the Tigs lay a thrashing on these guys in just one game to prove, its not cheating, its just the fact the NL sucks? I don't know who else they play in our division but the Tigs are prolly the only other team that could pound them like us right now.....

I would rather see KC kick their butts. It could happen. KC would at least be a middle of the road NL team.

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Hey to quote the late great Eddie Guerrero, "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying!" Also its not wrong til your caught. So if we were stealing signs keep doing it until we get caught, and then try better not to get caught.

pudge
06-23-2006, 04:45 PM
After the first night, I thought, "We might be stealing signs." After the second night I thought, "We're robbing them blind."

But ya know what, it's part of the game.

pudge
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, what terrible people we are, taking his 85 mph fastballs deep.

Professional hitters absolutely can't hit 85 fastballs and hanging curve balls. Plus Joe Crede clearly knew his home run ball was going to be a wild slider in the dirt. *****

Mulder did suck, but people, let me play devil's advocate, because based on my limited ball playing experience, stealing signs is *always* a part of the game. If a team manages to score 20 & 13 runs on back to back nights, I'd guess they had a clue what was coming. The way everybody in the lineup was jumping on every pitch, you just don't do that unless you know what's coming.

getonbckthr
06-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Around the Horn is gonna discuss the sign stealing.

The Wunsch
06-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Their 1B coach is pissy because his kid got hit. Instead of admitting that he's making up stuff about signs being stolen and calling Ozzie a liar.

If they really thought the Sox were steling their signs they would have changed something before we scored 33 freakin runs

fuzzy_patters
06-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Their 1B coach is pissy because his kid got hit. Instead of admitting that he's making up stuff about signs being stolen and calling Ozzie a liar.

If they really thought the Sox were steling their signs they would have changed something before we scored 33 freakin runs

Isn't Dave Duncan their pitching coach?

HotelWhiteSox
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
What little bitches, the Cardinals have been showing their true colors this past week. They faced some real competition and couldn't happen it. I love how everyone on Around the Horn was buying this, when Buehrle said it in Texas he was ripped and ridiculed, both in Chicago and around the country

FedEx227
06-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Mulder did suck, but people, let me play devil's advocate, because based on my limited ball playing experience, stealing signs is *always* a part of the game. If a team manages to score 20 & 13 runs on back to back nights, I'd guess they had a clue what was coming. The way everybody in the lineup was jumping on every pitch, you just don't do that unless you know what's coming.
That still isn't justifiable, it's not knowing whats coming as much as what was coming being piss-poor. Mulder was doing awful, look back at his past 3-4 starts. Plain and simple he wasn't fooling hitters with his stuff.

I'm sorry, but this "stealing signs" stuff is just overused in baseball. Does anybody have an idea how the White Sox could set up a system to steal signs with 35,000 people in a stadium, and 25 Cardinals and coaches watching?

The only notable way of stealing signs is by having a man on 2nd relay what the catcher is putting down, which doesn't explain more then half of the hits that were done without runners on 2nd.

This stealing signs stuff is joke, and as people have said, if they thought something was wrong, wouldn't they have changed something... you know...before we scored 33 runs.

Senerch23
06-23-2006, 05:28 PM
I just think the Sox probably would have let up at some point if they were stealing signs as they probably wouldn't want to make it too obvious if they were doing so. No reason to keep piling on the runs when you're up 10 if the reason you're scoring is the sign stealing. All-in-all, I don't buy it.

MarySwiss
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
What little bitches, the Cardinals have been showing their true colors this past week. They faced some real competition and couldn't happen it. I love how everyone on Around the Horn was buying this, when Buehrle said it in Texas he was ripped and ridiculed, both in Chicago and around the country

Well, yeah; but it's Around the Horn. And of course, you-know-who just had to mouth off about how the White Sox are models of integrity who wouldn't do such a thing or some such smarmy, sarcastic bull****.

JermaineDye05
06-23-2006, 05:31 PM
what a surprise Mariotti stirrin it up again saying sarcastically "oh the sox are a franchise of the highest integrity and class we've seen that"

then later gettin cut in the show and saying "im gonna go to the ballpark and flash some lights"

anyone else here up for seein Ozzie back on TNA with Mariotti, I would love to see Ozzie take a chair to him

MarySwiss
06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, here we go. The lead-off topic on PTI.

So after we kick the Astros' asses, we'll hear more of the same? Were we also stealing signs in Cincinnati when we swept them earlier this week 12-4, 8-6, 8-1? Sheesh! Why don't these mediots realize that the NL is vastly inferior and the Cards are a bunch of whiny little crybabies?

faneidde
06-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Can't believe no one has posted this, but we've got something coming from STL.
Hey, what happened to the falling poo tag? Well, that's what this is, pure crap. Whoever posted the whambulance, good stuff,\.

SoxEd
06-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Instead of getting props for us winning and our fabulous team, we have to listen to [mediots kvetching].
Cant the world just all agree that we should hate the Yankees and that be that?

I don't know how worthy-of-tinfoil the following rant is, but here goes anyway:

You think the East Coast Sports Network & its fellow-travellers in 'the meedja' wants to broadcast that the reigning American League (& World Series) Champion team is kicking some serious ass (including playing the best team in the NL off the park), when that reigning AL Champ is neither NYY nor BOS?

Especially when that outstanding team is a bunch of nobodies (because the mediot sheep can't be arsed to do their research about them) from an insignificant midwestern city like Chicago?

Especially when the succesful Chicagoan team is the wrong team in that city - the unfashionable one?

We all know that the 'best' teams in baseball, with the 'most' storied franchises, the 'best' fair-play ethic, and the most class, period, are the Red Sox and the Yankees.
(With an honourable mention to the Cubs, natch.)

Those bums in Chicago's American League team are low down, dirty, cheating, spolisports - they MUST be - or how else can one explain away heir evident superiority to BOS & NYY without looking like a bunch of overpaid numpties?

This half-assed 'theory' of mine doesn't even (really) disappear up its own fundament if 'the meedja' is giving loads of love to Detroit at the moment - that would just show that they do have something against our Sox.

And, if the sportsblabbers & print mediots are also ignoring the Tigers' best record in the bigs, then it further validates my accusation of bias against non-Eastern teams...

As for 'Around the Horn' going on about Ozzie;
That paragon of journalistic integrity Jay Moronotti being critical of, and sarcastic about, the White Sox?
:?:

You amaze me.

HotelWhiteSox
06-23-2006, 05:50 PM
Runs scored by the White Sox on the road in 2006:
4/7 @ KC - 7
4/10 @ Det - 5
4/13 @ Det - 13
4/25 @ Sea - 13
4/28 @ LAA - 8
4/30 @ LAA - 6
5/14 @ Min - 9
5/15 @ Min - 7
5/16 @ TB - 7
5/17 @ TB - 5
5/28 @ Tor - 7
5/29 @ Cle - 11
6/1 @ Cle - 8
6/12 @ Tex - 8
6/13 @ Tex - 5
6/15 @ Tex - 8
6/16 @ Cin - 12
6/17 @ Cin - 8
6/18 @ Cin - 8

:whiner:

oeo
06-23-2006, 05:56 PM
Runs scored by the White Sox on the road in 2006:
4/7 @ KC - 7
4/10 @ Det - 5
4/13 @ Det - 13
4/25 @ Sea - 13
4/28 @ LAA - 8
4/30 @ LAA - 6
5/14 @ Min - 9
5/15 @ Min - 7
5/16 @ TB - 7
5/17 @ TB - 5
5/28 @ Tor - 7
5/29 @ Cle - 11
6/1 @ Cle - 8
6/12 @ Tex - 8
6/13 @ Tex - 5
6/15 @ Tex - 8
6/16 @ Cin - 12
6/17 @ Cin - 8
6/18 @ Cin - 8

:whiner:

I had no idea they have scored that much on the road. How did they lose any games? Well, they shouldn't have lost many if our pitching was actually pitching all year.

MarySwiss
06-23-2006, 05:57 PM
I don't know how worthy-of-tinfoil the following rant is, but here goes anyway:

You think the East Coast Sports Network & its fellow-travellers in 'the meedja' wants to broadcast that the reigning American League (& World Series) Champion team is kicking some serious ass (including playing the best team in the NL off the park), when that reigning AL Champ is neither NYY nor BOS?

Especially when that outstanding team is a bunch of nobodies (because the mediot sheep can't be arsed to do their research about them) from an insignificant midwestern city like Chicago?

Especially when the succesful Chicagoan team is the wrong team in that city - the unfashionable one?

We all know that the 'best' teams in baseball, with the 'most' storied franchises, the 'best' fair-play ethic, and the most class, period, are the Red Sox and the Yankees.
(With an honourable mention to the Cubs, natch.)

Those bums in Chicago's American League team are low down, dirty, cheating, spolisports - they MUST be - or how else can one explain away heir evident superiority to BOS & NYY without looking like a bunch of overpaid numpties?

This half-assed 'theory' of mine doesn't even (really) disappear up its own fundament if 'the meedja' is giving loads of love to Detroit at the moment - that would just show that they do have something against our Sox.

And, if the sportsblabbers & print mediots are also ignoring the Tigers' best record in the bigs, then it further validates my accusation of bias against non-Eastern teams...

As for 'Around the Horn' going on about Ozzie;
That paragon of journalistic integrity Jay Moronotti being critical of, and sarcastic about, the White Sox?
:?:

You amaze me.

After a--sort of--careful perusal of this post, I see nothing to indicate that it is tinfoil-worthy.:cool:

samram
06-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Maybe this has already been said, but if the Cards thought this was happening, why not approach the umpire crew chief and say something while the Sox were parading around the bases? Sour grapes. Go back and play the Pirates and Cubs, asswipes.

thomas35forever
06-23-2006, 06:31 PM
"Stealing our signs" is the oldest complaint about baseball in the book. We did it in Texas last year. Other teams have done it I'm sure. There should be more original excuses in the game.

rightsox
06-23-2006, 06:54 PM
I'd be a lot more likely to believe it if Hawk and DJ hadn't both mentioned that Mulder was just throwing slow crap up to the plate. They were both sure that he was going to get taken out behind the woodshed the second time through the lineup.

If they were stealing signs how come the most they got in the first two innings was Gooch's 1B?

ugh...

Rob190
06-23-2006, 07:00 PM
So after the Tigers shell the cards pitching staff, are they going to whine about stealing signs?

DoItForDanPasqua
06-23-2006, 07:41 PM
So after the Tigers shell the cards pitching staff, are they going to whine about stealing signs?

3-0 Detroit, 2nd inning. The whole damn American League cheats.

WSox8404
06-23-2006, 07:44 PM

Yeah no kidding. Everyone knows the NL sucks except the teams from the NL. Oh well, whoever makes it to the World Series from the AL this year (and we all know it will be the Sox) is going to give a beatdown to whoever the NL representative is. That goes without saying IMO.

SoxEd
06-23-2006, 07:45 PM

Yup - those sunuvabitches actually hit our pitches!

Don't they know the AL is supposed to be the 'junior' circuit?

Where's their Respect?

Thome25
06-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Cheating? Come on!! That has to be the biggest bunch of sour grapes I've ever heard from a baseball team.

Could it have been the fact that the Cardinals just flat out got their butts kicked by a superior ball club.

Also, I don't know why Marquis got lit up but, as for Mulder could the reason why he got lit up have been the fact that he has a bum shoulder? He got put on the DL just recently. One of my co-workers has Mulder on his fantasy team and right before he gave up that 11-run inning he commented on the fact that Mulder has a high ERA and that he has been lit up a few times this season already.

Also, the reason why Reyes pitched so well isn't because the Cardinals changed their signs. He is a good young pitcher who has a low ERA in his first few starts.Now I know why Flubs fans hate the Cardinals so much. Count me in as one of the Cardinals haters as well.:angry:

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2006, 08:27 PM
3-0 Detroit, 2nd inning. The whole damn American League cheats.Two more in the 5th.

What's the sign for "meatball coming"?

samram
06-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Two more in the 5th.

What's the sign for "meatball coming"?
It seems to be assumed as long as a NL pitcher is on the mound.

Edit: 7-3 even with the NL's best pitcher on the mound.

Thome25
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I thought it was a dumbass statement when Buehrle said it, and I think the same thing now.

Maybe this is what people from the St. Louis area complain about.

Buehrle and his favorite baseball team both complaining about stealing signs?

Hmmmmmmmm?!

Mercy!
06-23-2006, 08:46 PM
According to a Cardinals "club source" the Sox were pasting the Cards because the "centerfield camera" was capturing the Cards signs. It had nothing to do with the junk M & M were throwing, I guess. Hey, Mary. Welcome aboard and all that. But how long do you really expect to hang here with that name?:o:

WSox597
06-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Tigers are sign stealing, too. 10 runs and still batting. LaRussa must be fuming.

I was hoping the Cards would get riled up and smoke the Tiggers. Of course, I hoped the Cubs would beat the Tigers too. Wish in one hand, etc.

Iguana775
06-23-2006, 11:29 PM
The Sox did cheat before the games one and two. Ozzie was playing Contra on his NES in the clubhouse and before the game entered the code "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start". That gave a special power up to the Sox hitters.

Since Ozzie was not allowed in the clubhouse before the game on Thursday, he could not put in the code.

*****!!!! Contra rules!!

TDog
06-24-2006, 12:00 AM
... Why don't these mediots realize that the NL is vastly inferior and the Cards are a bunch of whiny little crybabies?

How is that possible when even the Rockies have a winning record against the American League? And the preseason pick to win the AL Central, the Cleveland Indians have a losing record against the NL? Actually, at the moment the Indians are the only team in the Central to have a losing record against the NL, and only the Rockies, Mets and Brewers have winning records against the AL.

I'm rooting for the NL to win ever game not involving the White Sox, but as I proved growing up, my rooting teams doesn't help them win.

Jenks4Pres
06-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Gimme a break, St. Louis has a complex about Chicago! Go back to your small piece of crap hick city and never come back!

SOecks
06-24-2006, 12:31 AM
Gimme a break, St. Louis has a complex about Chicago! Go back to your small piece of crap hick city and never come back!

Easy there killer. They have some damn good fans who are about as loyal as they come. You could just as easily say Chicago has a complex about NY or Boston but I won't say that.

Banix12
06-24-2006, 03:55 AM
How is that possible when even the Rockies have a winning record against the American League? And the preseason pick to win the AL Central, the Cleveland Indians have a losing record against the NL? Actually, at the moment the Indians are the only team in the Central to have a losing record against the NL, and only the Rockies, Mets and Brewers have winning records against the AL.

I'm rooting for the NL to win ever game not involving the White Sox, but as I proved growing up, my rooting teams doesn't help them win.

I find the Indians thing interesting since as I recall last season it was an amazing run during interleague play that seemed to help propel them back into contention.

What a difference a year makes.

St. Louis team ERA for the month of June is 6.19 and teams are hitting .308 against the Cardinals over that period. Both the worst marks in the majors for the month.

Certianly not all of that is the white sox. Even if you take the sox series out of the equation I believe they are still pitching with a collective ERA around 5.00.

Realist
06-24-2006, 05:13 AM
From the STLTODAY

I love Mulder and he's a family friend. I wish him nothing but huge piles of successl, but the fact is: I was there and it was batting practice.

I was there on Thursday and the brand new type guy is the real deal. He throws strikes, but he's got a 17 mph vairance with a motion like butter.

Thank you for Mr. Thome, baseball gods. "his dinger left the park like a rocket" is the truth. I'm sorry Cleo's.

Start lubin' up only 2 more years away.

Sorry, Steven. I'm not buyin' it. Your apology and explanation stink of bull****.
You BS'ed me twice. I know you. don't hand me that crapl

wassagstdu
06-24-2006, 07:24 AM
Maybe the Cardinals were just messing with the Astros' heads. Seems to me it gives the Sox a big advantage if everyone comes into Comiskey (I'm referring to the parking lot across 35th street :wink: ) thinking the Sox have an unfair advantage. Of course the Cardinals would like to see the Sox do to the Astros exactly what they did to them, no?

harwar
06-24-2006, 08:53 AM
We'll see about Anthony Reyes.
Thursday may have been the game of his life,i mean,in and out,up and down with perfect command and control.
He has been up before and didn't look THAT good.
The kid makes one little mistake by a couple of inches to an extemely smart hitter and lost the game.
If it were anybody but the White Sox i would have been bummed.
It was far and away the best game i've seen all year.
Too bad i now have a strong dislike for the cards because of their,piece-of-****,pitching coach.

ChiSoxFan7
06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
personally it's just a team getting their bats hot for a few games. it happens all the time in baseball. granted we did it a little better than the norm but do you really expect less from a defending world series champ?:D: