PDA

View Full Version : Usa Today Is Appalingly Stupid

Gavin
06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Go to usatoday.com and scroll down to the sports headlines.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
This from the guy who guaranteed Steve Spurrier would win a super bowl with the Redskins. :rolleyes:

Gavin
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
It's now a "racial slur". I guess that sells better.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 11:25 AM
don't forget repeated slur. :rolleyes:

Gavin
06-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Honestly, how do these people even have jobs. I know that the USA Today is like the MTV of News but seriously...

LuvSox
06-23-2006, 11:34 AM
It's just piling on now, bandwagon bashing. **** all of them.

lumpyspun
06-23-2006, 11:36 AM
One of the dudes on ESPN last night called it a "homophobic slur". That use of the term makes absolutely no sense. The slur was not homophobic. The slur may mean that someone who uses it might be homophobic, but the term itself can't be described as homophobic. I might be nitpicking, but I just hate ESPN.

SOecks
06-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I can't find what you're referring to. Can you provide a link? I'm going to write this person and copy his bosses/editor. Calling this repeated racial slurs is inexcusable. Such BS.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 11:54 AM
I can't find what you're referring to. Can you provide a link? I'm going to write this person and copy his bosses/editor. Calling this repeated racial slurs is inexcusable. Such BS.

I think this is it

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/saraceno/2006-06-22-saraceno_x.htm

I already emailed Jon. Except I didn't see where he referred to it as a racial slur. He did, however, say it was a repeated slur, which seems inaccurate.

Gavin
06-23-2006, 11:55 AM
I've attached a screenshot.

TornLabrum
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
The term "racial slur" did not occur in the article. So once again, the blame (as it often does in Chicago newspapers) goes to the moron who writes the headlines.

SOecks
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
The term "racial slur" did not occur in the article. So once again, the blame (as it often does in Chicago newspapers) goes to the moron who writes the headlines.

Good point. I just sent a long email to the writers of both articles, the editor, and editor in chief regarding the headline and content of their writing. Even if those two guys didn't write the headline, it is linked to their articles so they are responsible to have it fixed as well. I doubt I'll hear back but will post it if I do.

Dancin' Homer
06-24-2006, 11:29 AM
USA Today: the news in easily digestable pie chart form.

Palehose13
06-24-2006, 12:12 PM
don't forget repeated slur. :rolleyes:

This isn't the first time Ozzie has publicly insulted someone by calling them a homosexual, so yes...I consider it repeated. Of course it isn't racial, but it is a slur. It's funny that the people who don't find the slur offensive are nitpicking and are offended by the people that do find it offensive. Talk about a double standard...

The fact that one uses references to homosexuality as insults, is offensive to the gay community. It is insinuating that gays are inferior and second-class citizens.

Look, I know that some of you guys are too dense to get it or are just unwilling to try. Most of you are calling for this story to die, yet you keep posting about it. Go figure...

SBSoxFan
06-24-2006, 12:49 PM
This isn't the first time Ozzie has publicly insulted someone by calling them a homosexual, so yes...I consider it repeated. Of course it isn't racial, but it is a slur. It's funny that the people who don't find the slur offensive are nitpicking and are offended by the people that do find it offensive. Talk about a double standard...
Completely different situations. The first was a joke in reference to a friend who was in earshot at the time; the second was vile and meant to be mean. So, I don't consider it a repeat. Are people who say/write similar or worse things in private better than those who say it in public?

The double standard is everywhere. If it weren't reporters and a lot of people here wouldn't be calling for Ozzie's head; the objection would be a little more restraint. I am, however, glad so many reporters took the time to come off their high horses to share their vitriol.

I'm convinced Ozzie's been stereotyped because an uneducated loudmouth from some third world country has had success as a manager, and in 2 years won baseballs most coveted prize. Something that many well-to-do men haven't been able to accomplish, ever. People are jealous plain and simple, and the only way they can build themselves up is to tear another down. I can start the list of those who are jealous: Jay Moriartti, Buck Showalter, Dave Duncan, and Phil Garner.

As much as some people like to spin the baseball world around an axis connected by the Red Sox and Yankees, and as much as some people like to complain about that setup, it appears some feel that situation is better then having an unpolished foreigner meeting with success.

Finally, I find the word inappropriate. In the interest of full discloser, however, I would state that I don't find it as offensive as a racial slur. I simply cannot fully empathize with all groups because, as a white American with Polish and Macedonian ancestry, I can only completely understand (the very little IMO) what that group faces. However, we are all connected by virtue of our humanity, and that is enough for me. It does seem to me that some people (and I'm not directing this at you PaleHose13) are sitting around looking for any chance to be offended. Although it doesn't apply here, I would call that nitpicking too.

Palehose13
06-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Completely different situations. The first was a joke in reference to a friend who was in earshot at the time; the second was vile and meant to be mean. So, I don't consider it a repeat. Are people who say/write similar or worse things in private better than those who say it in public?

The double standard is everywhere. If it weren't reporters and a lot of people here wouldn't be calling for Ozzie's head; the objection would be a little more restraint. I am, however, glad so many reporters took the time to come off their high horses to share their vitriol.

I'm convinced Ozzie's been stereotyped because an uneducated loudmouth from some third world country has had success as a manager, and in 2 years won baseballs most coveted prize. Something that many well-to-do men haven't been able to accomplish, ever. People are jealous plain and simple, and the only way they can build themselves up is to tear another down. I can start the list of those who are jealous: Jay Moriartti, Buck Showalter, Dave Duncan, and Phil Garner.

As much as some people like to spin the baseball world around an axis connected by the Red Sox and Yankees, and as much as some people like to complain about that setup, it appears some feel that situation is better then having an unpolished foreigner meeting with success.

Finally, I find the word inappropriate. In the interest of full discloser, however, I would state that I don't find it as offensive as a racial slur. I simply cannot fully empathize with all groups because, as a white American with Polish and Macedonian ancestry, I can only completely understand (the very little IMO) what that group faces. However, we are all connected by virtue of our humanity, and that is enough for me. It does seem to me that some people (and I'm not directing this at you PaleHose13) are sitting around looking for any chance to be offended. Although it doesn't apply here, I would call that nitpicking too.

But the first one was done in front of reporters. Look, my friends an coworkers often say "You never know what is going to come out of her mouth" to me. I guess I can be crass and sexualize situations or just plain tell it like it is using words most people say under their breath. But I do that when I know I can, and yes, I do get interviewed often and I have reporters in my workplace very often (See Advocate issue 6/20/06, I am quoted several times in a feature article about our school). Ozzie just needs to realize that he can't say certain things near reporters.

I am sure that people are jealous of Ozzie, but he has stuck his foot recently in his mouth too much for my liking...and I love the guy. IMO, he can "tell t like it is" as much as he wants, he just needs to use some different words.

My mention of the double standard is for the posters here. I don't have a high opinion of the media and in this manner it is obvious that they use Guillen for headlines. It's too bad that Ozzie can't see it.

I'm sorry that you think that insulting homosexuals is a lesser offense than insulting any other minority. That seems to be the status quo in society and it is a shame, but by now I am expecting it...and that, IMO, is truly sad and disheartening.

SBSoxFan
06-24-2006, 01:38 PM
But the first one was done in front of reporters. Look, my friends an coworkers often say "You never know what is going to come out of her mouth" to me. I guess I can be crass and sexualize situations or just plain tell it like it is using words most people say under their breath. But I do that when I know I can, and yes, I do get interviewed often and I have reporters in my workplace very often (See Advocate issue 6/20/06, I am quoted several times in a feature article about our school). Ozzie just needs to realize that he can't say certain things near reporters.

I am sure that people are jealous of Ozzie, but he has stuck his foot recently in his mouth too much for my liking...and I love the guy. IMO, he can "tell t like it is" as much as he wants, he just needs to use some different words.
I'm in agreement with you there.

I'm sorry that you think that insulting homosexuals is a lesser offense than insulting any other minority. That seems to be the status quo in society and it is a shame, but by now I am expecting it...and that, IMO, is truly sad and disheartening.
The key question is minority by birth or minority by choice. I'm not up on the "research", and not convinced either way. I can see a person getting grief over a lifestlye choice, but to insult someone because they are (insert your nationality here), makes no sense to me.

However, now that I think about it more, that's not the issue either is it? What if Ozzie would have called what's-his-name a chain smoker, an alcoholic, a druggy, or a fat slob? I guess that wouldn't have been so incendiary. Should it have been?

SouthSide_HitMen
06-24-2006, 02:39 PM
Best article of the week.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/chi-0606220176jun22,1,5237070.column?coll=chi-news-col

As a sports fan, I must address some terrible, insensitive comments made recently.

I don't care who makes such comments. Even if they were uttered, impulsively, by a beloved baseball manager who has transformed his team into winners through his sheer guts and guile and baseball brilliance.

I can't stay silent. So I might as well tell you....

soxruleEP
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm in agreement with you there.

The key question is minority by birth or minority by choice. I'm not up on the "research", and not convinced either way. I can see a person getting grief over a lifestlye choice, but to insult someone because they are (insert your nationality here), makes no sense to me.

Homosexuality is not a choice.

The misguided idea that people can choose who they are sexually attracted to is one of the problems that leads to the attitude about gays and lesbians among certain heterosexuals.

Why anyone should care what another person does in this short time we have on Earth to assuage our loneliness is beyond me.

WizardsofOzzie
06-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Thread is starting to look roadhouse bound:?:

BRDSR
06-24-2006, 04:59 PM
I might be nitpicking, but I just hate ESPN.

As long as we're nitpicking, Lou Pienella said on the Fox Broadcast today that the whole right side was wide open for Thome.

Lou, a baseball field is directionally described from the vantage point of the hitter. The whole right side was closed. The whole left side was open. Maybe this was one of the lacking fundamentals keeping the Devil Rays out of the post-season.

Palehose13
06-24-2006, 05:44 PM

However, now that I think about it more, that's not the issue either is it? What if Ozzie would have called what's-his-name a chain smoker, an alcoholic, a druggy, or a fat slob? I guess that wouldn't have been so incendiary. Should it have been?

EP already hit on it, but seriously, homosexuality is not a choice. Being attracted to women is so natural for me as it is to you, and as much as I love talking to you guys as soon as I think about anything more...it makes me want to vomit.

Honestly, if it was a choice, I would choose to be straight. Trust me, I tried. Over and over and over and...it just wasn't happening or at least I knew that I would never really be happy.

I know that this is a huge roadblock for people mentally and I don't know any other way to describe it than telling them to try to be gay for awhile. If you really are straight, I bet you can't do it. I bet it would disgust you. I know it is hard to fathom, but heterosexual disgusts me just as much as homosexual sex (ok, well, two guys...) disgusts you*.

*most of the "you's" in that post are meant to be a general "you" and not directed only to SBSoxFan.

miker
06-27-2006, 01:56 PM
USA Today is insensitive to what used to be the honorable discipline known as "journalism"...

TDog
06-27-2006, 04:23 PM
... I'm sorry that you think that insulting homosexuals is a lesser offense than insulting any other minority. That seems to be the status quo in society and it is a shame, but by now I am expecting it...and that, IMO, is truly sad and disheartening.

I agree with your points and sympathize. The hypocrisy I see, and perhaps a degree of mitigation for Ozzie Guillen, is that the bigotry at issue is institutionalized in America to the degree that politicians believe they can be elected by further institutionalizing it. You even have a mainstream political/religious movement trying to prove that the idea that homosexuality is choice people make, and a wrong one.

The slur at question is tossed freely about in MLB clubhouses without consequence. Among ballplayers, homosexuals are the objects of jokes. There have been gay major league players -- and some good ones -- but there has never been an openly gay major league player.

For people to react as they have against Ozzie Guillen in this context while not reacting to the bigger bigotry is hypocritical.

That is what I have a problem with.

SOecks
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Mike Dodd responded to my email with the note below. I'm glad, I wasn't expecting a response.

Eric,
Thank you for your e-mail.
I did not see the headline on my story in usatoday.com, but I agree
with you that "racial slur" is a very inaccurate description. I can
assure you there was no attempt to add drama to an already sensitive
issue. We take great care to report the story accurately and in full
context. Although I don't know who wrote the headline you mentioned on
the website, I'm sure it was an honest error. I checked this morning and
the headline is no longer posted.
I covered Guillen's media session on Wednesday and think my story
accurately reflected his apology. I don't think my story portrayed him
as hating gays. If there is something other than the website headline
you mentioned that you feel reflects that, please let me know.

---------------------------
Mike Dodd
USA Today Sports
Chicago Bureau
(312) 321-7757

TornLabrum
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
EP already hit on it, but seriously, homosexuality is not a choice. Being attracted to women is so natural for me as it is to you, and as much as I love talking to you guys as soon as I think about anything more...it makes me want to vomit.

Honestly, if it was a choice, I would choose to be straight. Trust me, I tried. Over and over and over and...it just wasn't happening or at least I knew that I would never really be happy.

I know that this is a huge roadblock for people mentally and I don't know any other way to describe it than telling them to try to be gay for awhile. If you really are straight, I bet you can't do it. I bet it would disgust you. I know it is hard to fathom, but heterosexual disgusts me just as much as homosexual sex (ok, well, two guys...) disgusts you*.

*most of the "you's" in that post are meant to be a general "you" and not directed only to SBSoxFan.

Maybe I can help you another way. I didn't choose to be straight. I was just naturally attracted to girls. I'm wondering if any one can answer this: Tell me the exact moment you chose your sexual preference.