PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Brett Myers arrested for hitting wife in downtown Boston

Fenway
06-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Phillies pitcher Myers (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/06/23/phillies_ace_arrested_in_boston_on_domestic_violen ce_charge)
arrested in Boston (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/06/23/phillies_ace_arrested_in_boston_on_domestic_violen ce_charge)

Phillies ace Brett Myers was arrested Friday and charged with assaulting his wife on a downtown Boston street. He is scheduled to pitch at Fenway on Saturday. (AP, 10:31 a.m.)

SOXPHILE
06-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Phillies pitcher Myers (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/06/23/phillies_ace_arrested_in_boston_on_domestic_violen ce_charge)
arrested in Boston (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/06/23/phillies_ace_arrested_in_boston_on_domestic_violen ce_charge)

Phillies ace Brett Myers was arrested Friday and charged with assaulting his wife on a downtown Boston street. He is scheduled to pitch at Fenway on Saturday. (AP, 10:31 a.m.)

:barney&sham

Hey..things like that happen. He has our full support, right Barney ?"

goofymsfan
06-23-2006, 11:59 AM
What I thought was odd was that his wife posted his $200 bail. :rolleyes:

spiffie
06-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Somehow Jay Mariotti will find a way to blame this on Ozzie.

Fenway
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
What I thought was odd was that his wife posted his $200 bail. :rolleyes:

based on THIS report why was the bail only $200 YIKES

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2006/06/phillies_pitche.html

RKMeibalane
06-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Good grief! Meyers needs to be a suspended for this, and ordered to attend some sort of behavioral and/or marriage counseling.

WSox8404
06-23-2006, 07:30 PM
What a ****ing piece of ****. See now Bud why don't you do anything about this you jagbag. This is something to do something about now lets see how you respond. Not saying Ozzie didn't do anything wrong, but I cannot stand guys like this. They are the one of the lowest form of men on this planet. I would NEVER EVER hit a woman. Unless she was much larger than me and kicking my ass. Even then it would be odd. The saddest part of this is that she is going to go right back to this turd when he buys her a ring as a make up present. Good grief.

RKMeibalane
06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
What a ****ing piece of ****. See now Bud why don't you do anything about this you jagbag. This is something to do something about now lets see how you respond. Not saying Ozzie didn't do anything wrong, but I cannot stand guys like this. They are the one of the lowest form of men on this planet. I would NEVER EVER hit a woman. Unless she was much larger than me and kicking my ass. Even then it would be odd. The saddest part of this is that she is going to go right back to this turd when he buys her a ring as a make up present. Good grief.

:tool

"Uhh... uhh... uhh..."

shes
06-24-2006, 02:15 PM
But, but, but Ozzie called Jay a ***, that's so much worse!

Thome25
06-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Pitchers bat in the NL so if I was pitching I'd nail Myers EVERYTIME he came up to the plate against me.

While he was taking first base I'd yell "So you like to hit women huh?!" "Why don't you come out here and get a piece of someone your own size?":angry:

Or, Better yet if I was hitting against him I'd look for any excuse in the book to charge the mound and pound him into the dirt.

But that's just me.

beckett21
06-25-2006, 02:47 PM
I hate reading crap like this. What a piece of garbage.

That poor woman. :(:

Deebs14
06-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I hate reading crap like this. What a piece of garbage.

That poor woman. :(:

Same here, that guy deserves to get his ass kicked.

MadetoOrta
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
What an ass. Seriously, where's the media with this? If what Ozzie Guillen said warrants "sensitivity training" doesn't beating your wife require "anger management?"

Chips
06-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Good grief! Meyers needs to be a suspended for this, and ordered to attend some sort of behavioral and/or marriage counseling.

Why does MLB need to get invovled in off the field stuff?

Let the law and police punish Myers.

goofymsfan
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM

Agreed! Since this took place off the field MLB should not get involved. According to PhillyBurbs.com (http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/102-06252006-675311.html) he is to get counseling as a condition of his wife posting bail for him. Hopefully anger management will be a part of the counseling.

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2006, 08:53 PM
With the way the media is STILL all over Ozzie you wouldn't know this even happened!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Fenway
06-26-2006, 07:13 PM
With the way the media is STILL all over Ozzie you wouldn't know this even happened!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

at least the Boston and Philly media all over the Phillies for letting Myers start right after it happened

DAN SHAUGHNESSY (http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/shaughnessy)
Phillies should have stopped Myers's start (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/06/25/phillies_should_have_stopped_myerss_start)

Here's a toast to the fans who filled Fenway Park yesterday afternoon and booed an alleged wife-beater, Phillies starting pitcher Brett Myers. (Boston Globe)

Bill Conlin | Par for the coarse

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/14903175.htm
BEATING UP a woman on Boston's busy Boylston Street just as the bars are letting out is about the dumbest thing any human - or inhuman - being can do. So you asked yourself, "The stupid jackass did what?" After hearing news that Phillies righthander Brett Myers allegedly assaulted his wife, Kim, early Friday morning, the next question might have been:

"And he's still pitching tomorrow?"

TDog
06-27-2006, 04:38 AM
I work with a Phillies fan, and he is upset with Myers. He said Aaron Rowand should have busted Myers' face against a wall.

Thome25
06-27-2006, 11:19 AM

MLB needs to get involved in this stuff for the same reason they got involved in the Ozzie stuff.

When a player pulls stuff like this, it's bad for the individual, his club, and the game itself.

Do you think MLB wants to project the image of having a bunch of wife-beaters on the field and not at least try to do something about it?

Besides, we all know what a great job that the court system and law enforcement do in domestic situations like this one.

Fenway
06-27-2006, 06:31 PM
When a player pulls stuff like this, it's bad for the individual, his club, and the game itself.

Do you think MLB wants to project the image of having a bunch of wife-beaters on the field and not at least try to do something about it?

Myers himself has done the right thing it appears

PHILADELPHIA -- Phillies pitcher Brett Myers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6864) will take a leave of absence through the All-Star break, saying he has embarrassed his family and the team with his arrest on charges that he hit his wife in the face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2502132

Chips
06-27-2006, 07:57 PM
MLB needs to get involved in this stuff for the same reason they got involved in the Ozzie stuff.

Didn't the Ozzie comments take place during an interview with the press, whereas he was representing the White Sox and MLB at the time.

Why doesn't MLB fine and suspend everyone who breaks the law, like all the players who get DUI's etc.

They don't have any authority to medel in players personal affairs, IMO.

Besides, we all know what a great job that the court system and law enforcement do in domestic situations like this one

:rolleyes:And MLB is the exemplery authority on handling matters. They have such as great job with the steroids issue. I'll leave non baseball issues to the courts. Let MLB fix its own issues before they start suspending players for personal matters.

Thome25
06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Didn't the Ozzie comments take place during an interview with the press, whereas he was representing the White Sox and MLB at the time.

You ALWAYS represent the team you play for if you're in uniform in a press conference or not.

Why doesn't MLB fine and suspend everyone who breaks the law, like all the players who get DUI's etc.

Well they should. Todays players are setting an example for the sport they play in and the teams they play for. not to mention being role models (if they like it or not) to kids.

They don't have any authority to medel in players personal affairs, IMO.

[color=teal]

Sure they do. If I went out and beat my wife, started taking drugs, and drinking and driving and getting arrested for all of the above, I guarantee you I would be fired and or suspended by my employer. MLB has the same rights as any employer does to discipline it's employees for things that happen outside of work.

And MLB is the exemplery authority on handling matters. They have such as great job with the steroids issue. I'll leave non baseball issues to the courts. Let MLB fix its own issues before they start suspending players for personal matters.

Well if you leave it solely to the court system that's like putting a shotgun in a chimpanzee's hands and expecting him not to shoot anyone. Baseball cannot afford to have a bunch of idiots playing in a public spectacle and can and should act accordingly. PERIOD.

Chips
06-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Sure they do. If I went out and beat my wife, started taking drugs, and drinking and driving and getting arrested for all of the above, I guarantee you I would be fired and or suspended by my employer. MLB has the same rights as any employer does to discipline it's employees for things that happen outside of work.

I'm pretty sure the players and managers all get their paychecks from their respective teams.

For the rest of it, if beating your wife, the drugs, and DUI's affected your work work preformance, than your employer should fire you.

It happened away from the game, MLB has no right to get involved.

Fuller_Schettman
06-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Somehow Jay Mariotti will find a way to blame this on Ozzie.

Don't you mean "Jake Howard"? :wink:

TDog
06-28-2006, 05:10 AM
Didn't the Ozzie comments take place during an interview with the press, whereas he was representing the White Sox and MLB at the time. ...

Guillen said he believed he was talking off the record with reporters. Regardless ...

Guillen was disciplined because people believed his comments would offend people and, thus, damage people's affection or potential affection for the game of baseball. Proving guilt would be moot because he didn't convict a crime.

There was probable cause to believe Myers committed a crime. The low bail was probably due to the assertion by his attorney, and maybe even the victim, that he will return for further hearings. There may have been as many witnesses to his acrions as there were to Guillen's controversial statement. Because a crime is involved, a procedure is needed to determine if the commonwealth can suspend his civil rights, but the witness statements certainly should offend people and, thus, damage people's affection or potential affection for the game of baseball.

Ideally, baseball should place him on administrative leave (paid suspension) until the matter is cleared up and suspend him without pay if he is found guilty. I'm not sure if that would be allowed by the CBA, but if baseball columnists cared as much about Myers (according to multiple witnesses) beating a woman, it would reflect worse on baseball than anything Guillen has ever said.

In reality he will probably plead to a lesser charge (many people charged with domestic-violence assault end up agreeing to plead guilty to disorderly conduct) and some people will try to pretend it never happened.