PDA

View Full Version : Good Ted Cox Summary

havelj
06-23-2006, 08:13 AM
The Daily Herald's TV/Radio critic, Ted Cox, has a nice summary of this overblown issue this week:

"There should be no need for fair warning about the language used in the male-dominated environment of the baseball dugout or locker room.
Guillen speaks in that argot, and that word is not out of place there. Neither are various four-letter verbs or their seven-letter gerunds."

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=cox&id=201883

TornLabrum
06-23-2006, 11:10 AM
The Daily Herald's TV/Radio critic, Ted Cox, has a nice summary of this overblown issue this week:

"There should be no need for fair warning about the language used in the male-dominated environment of the baseball dugout or locker room.
Guillen speaks in that argot, and that word is not out of place there. Neither are various four-letter verbs or their seven-letter gerunds."

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/beatwriters.asp?column=cox&id=201883

I guess means there are no homosexuals baseball or that if there are, none of them are, nor should they be, offended because, after all, that is just the argot used in that environment. Bull****. Ozzie was not speaking in private in the locker room (as if that justified ever using that term).

I can't think of anytime using derogatory slurs are acceptable. As for the "I'm from Venezuela excuse," he's been in this country for a quarter century. He should have figured out what is and is not acceptable public behavior by now.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 11:22 AM
I guess means there are no homosexuals baseball or that if there are, none of them are, nor should they be, offended because, after all, that is just the argot used in that environment. Bull****. Ozzie was not speaking in private in the locker room (as if that justified ever using that term).

I can't think of anytime using derogatory slurs are acceptable.

Is does happen though, right? Does it make it any better if it's said behind closed doors? Maybe it will be weeded out eventually, but until then most of us are taught where the argot is inappropriate.

skottyj242
06-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Good aritcle.