PDA

View Full Version : WTH is up with the parking at Sox Park?

theoakwoody
06-23-2006, 01:42 AM
Is there seriously not enough parking around the stadium when the Sox sell out. Okay so I admit I got to the stadium at 7:00 so I was late but I didn't get to my seat till 8:00 because they had cars routed to the Illinois Institue of Technology Parking lots on 31st and State. I mean was this how it was back in '91 when everyone and their mom wanted to see the new stadium and had to park 18 blocks away and get bussed in?

I was at the Tigers game a couple weeks ago and got there around 7:00 and we parked in one of the closer lots. There was a reported 37K in the stadium at that game and 39K tonight so I don't see how it could have made that much of a difference. Did a car bomb go off or was one of the lots taken hostage by Cardinal fans until Kenny trades them hometown hero Mark Buehrle for Mark Mulder straight up?

Maybe this is just me not wanting to accept the fact that the Cell is the place to be and that I can't just waltz in anytime I want and sit where I want and obviously park where I want. Seriously though, did anyone else go to the game tonight and have parking issues. I got to the game in the bottom of the 4th and unfortunately missed JD's amazing catch.

Deuce
06-23-2006, 01:47 AM
Lots of Cards fans made the drive to watch the game. As such, there were more cars in the lot, versus Sox fans who take the train, bus or another form of transportation. Detroit fans barely attend their own home games, so I doubt many were driving down to Chi-town... especially since Detroit sucks against good teams.

Deuce

ewokpelts
06-23-2006, 02:10 AM
the dan ryan's messed up, and we're world champs..deal with it....

shaunburnette
06-23-2006, 02:14 AM
I am coming into Chicago this weekend and going to the Saturday 12:20 game. Anyone suggust a good route coming from the South and smart place to park? Time to arrive?

chisoxmike
06-23-2006, 02:29 AM
Deal with it. Don't bitch about parking and leave late and get there at 7, of course parking will be horrible. The Dan Ryan blows even more than it used to and we sell out just about every game. LEAVE EARLY. Or take the PT.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-23-2006, 02:30 AM
agree with chisoxmike. LEAVE EARLY.

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2006, 02:54 AM
So let me get this straight: You arrived for two seperate night games at 7:00pm and you are griping about the parking.

1) Didn't you learn ANYTHING after the first time?
2) Is the train an option?
3) Are you a ****ing moron?

SMO
:gulp:

spiffie
06-23-2006, 03:50 AM
On a different but related note, can I just say the folks directing traffic after the game seem determined to make life as difficult as humanly possible for anyone who is not attempting to get on the Dan Ryan. I live in the city right near LSD, so I take that to and from games. A couple of weekends ago they had so many detours, road blocks, and one-way directing traffic cops that I ended up having to go over a mile south of the south lots in order to finally start going east. I am not asking for much, just one street on the south end where people can make lefts and go east without being directed towards the endless Ryan detours.

Vernam
06-23-2006, 04:33 AM
I am coming into Chicago this weekend and going to the Saturday 12:20 game. Anyone suggust a good route coming from the South and smart place to park? Time to arrive?Park in Chinatown, take the El to US Cellular. Grab a nice meal at Won Kow afterward while others sit in traffic.

Vernam

jenn2080
06-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Park in Chinatown, take the El to US Cellular. Grab a nice meal at Won Kow afterward while others sit in traffic.

Vernam

im with you and chisoxmike. YOu should not complain when you leave and get there 5 min till game time. However my bro parks in Chinatown the lot next to the El and it is 8 bucks. There is always parking there and he never has any problem.

jdm2662
06-23-2006, 10:22 AM
The only time I complained about parking was on opening day. I felt it was legit since we got there three hours before the game, told we could park in a certain lot, waited for 30 mins, and then told otherwise. This, however, is not legit. You should expect this arriving five mins before a sell-out game.

To answer your question, yes, I've been to some games prior to this year when they sold out and had no problems parking. I got there nice and early to make sure I got a spot. I don't fool around when I know parking is limited. Parking is my biggest gripes about the city (there are many others, but this is the icing on the cake). If it means leaving three hours early, so be it. I want a spot.

Iwritecode
06-23-2006, 10:31 AM
Maybe this is just me not wanting to accept the fact that the Cell is the place to be and that I can't just waltz in anytime I want and sit where I want and obviously park where I want.

Yep.

I've learned to just head straight for the IIT parking lots. Even if it's an hour before the game. The walk isn't really that much farther and it's nice and easy to get into and out of.

theoakwoody
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Wow,

I guess I am an ****ing moron. Mod edit: Yes, you are. That language filter violation cost you a week off.

I work in the suburbs and I couldn't get out of work early so that's why I'm late. The tickets fell into my lap at the last second and last time I arrived around the same time and got to my seat by the first pitch so whatever.

Thanks for the insight on the extra cars from all the cardinal fans. I guess that makes sense but I've never experienced that. Like I said, even back in '91 when they used to sell out you could still find a spot in one of the closer lots without a problem. I guess St. Louis would be the only scenario where that would happen considering Milwaukee, Detroit, and Cincinatti fans aren't as die hard as the Cardinal Nation. So in closing, I guess I can show up late as long as the Sox aren't playing the Cardinals.

SoxFan78
06-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Wow,

I guess I am an ****ing moron.

I work in the suburbs and I couldn't get out of work early so that's why I'm late. The tickets fell into my lap at the last second and last time I arrived around the same time and got to my seat by the first pitch so whatever.

Thanks for the insight on the extra cars from all the cardinal fans. I guess that makes sense but I've never experienced that. Like I said, even back in '91 when they used to sell out you could still find a spot in one of the closer lots without a problem. I guess St. Louis would be the only scenario where that would happen considering Milwaukee, Detroit, and Cincinatti fans aren't as die hard as the Cardinal Nation. So in closing, I guess I can show up late as long as the Sox aren't playing the Cardinals.
If you get tickets last minute, and work in the burbs, either go to the Rosemont or Forest park blue line and take the train in. Plenty of parking and no rush hour.

ewokpelts
06-23-2006, 11:01 AM
there's always canaryville....

Gene

dickallen15
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
Get a parking pass and park on the street for free.

ewokpelts
06-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Get a parking pass and park on the street for free.even with a parking pass in my window, i've noticed some bridgeport residents blatantly trying to sell me a parking space in fron of thier house....
isnt it illegal to sell parking spaces on a public throuroughfare?

Gene

Wimpy
06-23-2006, 12:08 PM
Get a parking pass and park on the street for free.

I've seen Bridgeport residents trying to sell their guest parking passes. Has anyone ever bought one and parked on the street?

I got to the stadium lot at 6:50 against the Tigers because my buddy was so late picking me up.:angry: Anyway, we got directed to the IIT lot and we only missed the top of the 1st. The walk isn't even that far. It is probably the same distance as some of the stadium's lots.

rookie
06-23-2006, 12:36 PM
And don't forget to buy parking passes in advance. Sounds like you couldn't do it this time, but for future games it makes all the difference. You can buy them at the park.

itsnotrequired
06-23-2006, 01:10 PM
And don't forget to buy parking passes in advance. Sounds like you couldn't do it this time, but for future games it makes all the difference. You can buy them at the park.

You can also buy passes online.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/858064

dickallen15
06-23-2006, 02:57 PM
even with a parking pass in my window, i've noticed some bridgeport residents blatantly trying to sell me a parking space in fron of thier house....

Gene

Its illegal to sell them. We happen to know someone in the neighborhood and get one every year. You could always go to Shinnock's or Jimbo's and get one that would be good for the day. Its easier to find street parking around Shinnock's these days.

Rocky Soprano
06-23-2006, 03:03 PM
What if you have a 2006 U.S. Cellular Field Resident Parking Permit (city sticker)?

Does that mean you can park on the street anywhere around the park and not get towed?

IspepAloc
06-23-2006, 03:12 PM
How would one get to the EL coming from Aurora. I'm completely new at this and have been taking the DR every time. Usually its not bad and I park in Lot L, but other times it sucks. My usual route is 55 north to 90/94. I tried Ashland, but that didn't really cut down any of the time. Thanks for your input in advance.

stacksedwards
06-23-2006, 03:29 PM
get there when gates open park in lot f or L or buy a red pass online. have a few cold sodies or beers. No traffic no mes nothing.

Or just quit your job and sleep in the lot and make money selling street wise.

Which by the way features better writers then a certain jean jacket wearing columnist in this town. see marotti circa 92

Pulaski
06-23-2006, 04:43 PM
Is there seriously not enough parking around the stadium when the Sox sell out. Okay so I admit I got to the stadium at 7:00 so I was late but I didn't get to my seat till 8:00 because they had cars routed to the Illinois Institue of Technology Parking lots on 31st and State. I mean was this how it was back in '91 when everyone and their mom wanted to see the new stadium and had to park 18 blocks away and get bussed in?

I was at the Tigers game a couple weeks ago and got there around 7:00 and we parked in one of the closer lots. There was a reported 37K in the stadium at that game and 39K tonight so I don't see how it could have made that much of a difference. Did a car bomb go off or was one of the lots taken hostage by Cardinal fans until Kenny trades them hometown hero Mark Buehrle for Mark Mulder straight up?

Maybe this is just me not wanting to accept the fact that the Cell is the place to be and that I can't just waltz in anytime I want and sit where I want and obviously park where I want. Seriously though, did anyone else go to the game tonight and have parking issues. I got to the game in the bottom of the 4th and unfortunately missed JD's amazing catch.

No, there is not enough parking spaces for evey seat in the house. Park on Halsted and walk, park in Chinatown and take the L. Park at IIT. Most of hte lots are coupon lots. Buy a parking coupon on ebay, craigslist, stubhub or ticketmaster and get there early.

The Red Line was packed for every Cards game. The Green Line is also available and only two blocks east of the red line.

ewokpelts
06-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Its illegal to sell them. We happen to know someone in the neighborhood and get one every year. You could always go to Shinnock's or Jimbo's and get one that would be good for the day. Its easier to find street parking around Shinnock's these days.i know...but these not so reputable people still try and make me pay for parking...AND I HAVE A PASS IN MY WINDOW!

ewokpelts
06-23-2006, 04:49 PM
What if you have a 2006 U.S. Cellular Field Resident Parking Permit (city sticker)?

Does that mean you can park on the street anywhere around the park and not get towed?you still risk getting your tires slashed by the understanding residents who've moved in the last few years

comet2k
06-23-2006, 05:02 PM
You can also buy passes online.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/858064

I bought a pass to lots F and L from TicketMaster for Wednesday's game and my order got screwed up. I didn't receive the game tickets or the parking pass in the mail, and it took weeks to get it straightened out.

When they finally arrived, they forgot to include the green pass you hang from the mirror. I only had a ticket-size pass to show them, and a couple of people at the lot didn't think it was legit. Arrived at the park around 6, didn't get to my seat until 6:50.

That's the last time I order anything through TicketMaster if I can help it.

Sox of White
06-23-2006, 05:28 PM
I always park on Michigan, unless it is during school, then I walk from IIT. But it is definitely not 18 blocks away.

Cat Thief
06-23-2006, 05:36 PM
you still risk getting your tires slashed by the understanding residents who've moved in the last few years

No offense, but thats ****ing bull**** and I hate it when people portray the neighborhood that way.

I have been using a pass for as long as I can remember. Most residents say Go Sox or enjoy the game. Last night I parked in front of a guys house and he asked me if I wanted to use his broom for the game. Not once have I had a bad experience.

rookie
06-23-2006, 08:03 PM
How would one get to the EL coming from Aurora. I'm completely new at this and have been taking the DR every time. Usually its not bad and I park in Lot L, but other times it sucks. My usual route is 55 north to 90/94. I tried Ashland, but that didn't really cut down any of the time. Thanks for your input in advance.

You have to take the Metra into Union Station and then walk to the red line.

There's a Pace Bus that leaves from Bolingbrook which sounds like a good deal.

You're right though about Ashland. It's just as fast taking the DanRyan since you're only in traffic for a little while before you get off at the first exit.

ewokpelts
06-24-2006, 12:51 AM
No offense, but thats ****ing bull**** and I hate it when people portray the neighborhood that way.

I have been using a pass for as long as I can remember. Most residents say Go Sox or enjoy the game. Last night I parked in front of a guys house and he asked me if I wanted to use his broom for the game. Not once have I had a bad experience.
chairs in the street
people blocking spaces unless you buy or rent a pass from them...on a public though way
and most of it happening where all teh new houses have been built....

it's gotten so bad, channel 7's been investigating this for a while

an dlet's not forget the nasty note written on my brother's car saying "dont park in our neighborhood"...and he lives there!

Gene

Cat Thief
06-24-2006, 09:31 AM
chairs in the street
people blocking spaces unless you buy or rent a pass from them...on a public though way
and most of it happening where all teh new houses have been built....

it's gotten so bad, channel 7's been investigating this for a while

an dlet's not forget the nasty note written on my brother's car saying "dont park in our neighborhood"...and he lives there!

Gene

I'm not going to argue with you, I just think you are exaggerating. Perhaps I just have had good luck.

Lyle Mouton
06-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Get there earlier

the end

Palehose13
06-24-2006, 12:16 PM
So if you didn't get it from everyone else...leave early. If you don't plan right, you have no one to blame but yourself. I live in Milwaukee and leave 5-6 hours before going to a game and I think everyone know it doesn't usually take 5-6 hours to get to Chicago from Milwaukee. Also, I now cut down Peterson and hit LSD to get to the park. Forget about 94 through the city and then the Ryan...

chisoxmike
06-24-2006, 04:59 PM
You can also park in a garage in the South Loop for something like $8 like I do, or at night, park on the street for free and take the Red Line to game.

jabrch
06-24-2006, 08:47 PM
even with a parking pass in my window, i've noticed some bridgeport residents blatantly trying to sell me a parking space in fron of thier house....

Gene

Sure it is illegal...but what's the option? Want to drive over their cones and leave your car in front of their house for 3 hours while nobody is watching it? The truth is that if you have a parking pass you can find SOMETHING on the street as late as game time - you just might have a little bit of a walk.

sox_fan_forever
06-24-2006, 10:20 PM
My family also knows someone who lives in the neighborhood and they've been giving us a pass for several years now. It works out great and we haven't experienced any problems.

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2006, 12:29 AM

I too have never had any problems whatsoever. I think that's because 90% of the time I park where no houses are (i.e. the 3400 block of S. Wells), so there wouldn't be any residents "shooing" me away. As long as you have the neighborhood sticker with the current City of Chicago vehicle sticker, you won't have a cop ticket your car.

Just a friendly offer for those of you who I know here, you may park near my place for free, and we can go in my car and park very close to the ballpark. I usually leave at 6 for games.

DumpJerry
06-25-2006, 01:12 AM
I too have never had any problems whatsoever. I think that's because 90% of the time I park where no houses are (i.e. the 3400 block of S. Wells), so there wouldn't be any residents "shooing" me away. As long as you have the neighborhood sticker with the current City of Chicago vehicle sticker, you won't have a cop ticket your car.

Just a friendly offer for those of you who I know here, you may park near my place for free, and we can go in my car and park very close to the ballpark. I usually leave at 6 for games.
Don't you live a few blocks from Gate 5?

I would not want to leave your house at 6 for a 12:05 game, BTW.:wink:

chisoxfanatic
06-25-2006, 01:27 AM
I don't drive to day games...Just night games. :wink:

ewokpelts
06-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Sure it is illegal...but what's the option? Want to drive over their cones and leave your car in front of their house for 3 hours while nobody is watching it? The truth is that if you have a parking pass you can find SOMETHING on the street as late as game time - you just might have a little bit of a walk.um...i wasnt talking about cones....

you take a cone spot...you lose a window....

i'm talking about a guy trying to direct me into a spot so he can charge me

....big diff.....

Gene

jabrch
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Same thing to me - neighborhood folks holding spots for $... Cones or not... I just park at 38th and Wallace or Union and walk - no worries.

um...i wasnt talking about cones....

you take a cone spot...you lose a window....

i'm talking about a guy trying to direct me into a spot so he can charge me

....big diff.....

Gene

JimmyJoe
06-25-2006, 01:12 PM

Does that mean you can park on the street anywhere around the park and not get towed?

You can only get away with this if you have a valid city sticker on your window.

Foulke You
06-26-2006, 03:15 AM
Park in Chinatown, take the El to US Cellular. Grab a nice meal at Won Kow afterward while others sit in traffic.

Vernam
Won Kow rocks! I'm glad I'm not the only Sox fan who hits that place up for a post game meal.:cool: