PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrites at WSCR?

CommanderPudge72
06-22-2006, 10:44 PM
First of all, let me say, this is not a flame thread. I would like to pose a serious question about slurs in light of the whole Ozzie comment.

This all started yesterday for me when Mully and Hanley had Marriotti on their show and Hanley was pretty irate and seemed to be offended by Ozzie's comments.

Hanley had mentioned that if such things were said in their workplace, he would expect the offenders to "take time off" or words to that effect.

They then proceeded to have Marriotti on and he spoke his mind about his safety and how he was persecuted by the Sox.

Question is, if Hanley is offended by such speech, are not the routines and drop-ins such "gay" frequently heard on B&B not the same thing?

They clearly use the word "gay" to refer to callers and things that they may not agree with or things they want to make fun of....

Should Hanley be as offended by his co-workers and his employer, for letting it go on for years, as by Ozzie's comments?

Seems to me, that you can't split hairs here...either you are offended by the comments that use homosexual terms in a negative context or you not.

Why persecute one and not the other?

If it is offensive in Ozzie's context, do you think it is offensive in B&B's?

I'd be curious to hear where people think the distinctions lie....

cbrownson13
06-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Although I have never heard Boers and Bernstein use the word gay, I could imagine that happening.

I was on my way to the game yesterday and they had a caller on B&B ask them if it was offensive the way they use the word "retard," which they use quite regularly to describe idiotic callers.

They pretty much dodged the question by joking about how they, themselves were retarted.

But I thought it was a good point to bring up.

CommanderPudge72
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I know they have at least one "drop-in" (from Homer Simpson, I think) that says "gay".... perhaps it is a sound effects man that plays it? But that is one I know for sure.

rdwj
06-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Although I have never heard Boers and Bernstein use the word gay, I could imagine that happening.

They don't actually "say" it, they have a Homer Simpson drop that they use (at least I think it's Homer).

They use it fairly often

HotelWhiteSox
06-22-2006, 11:12 PM
They don't actually "say" it, they have a Homer Simpson drop that they use (at least I think it's Homer).

They use it fairly often

They have at least 3, one is Homer. And I don't know their stance on this whole situation, but I heard like 5 minutes where they were ripping on Ozzie yesterday, so yes, they are hypocrites

peeonwrigley
06-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Half of their schtick is homoerotic humor. Bernstein made a sorry attempt to defend it today, by noting how all of sports is homoerotic, so they just have fun with it. But, in actuality, they spend a good portion of their show making gay jokes that have nothing to do with sports.

Not quite the same as calling someone a ***, but it still takes most of their credibility on this issue away.

Of course they have the inevitable "well we support gay rights, we're just having fun" moments if called on it. But that is pretty much as weak as Ozzie's defense.

I'm not saying what they do on their show is right or wrong, but I give their opinions no value in regards to this issue.

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2006, 12:11 AM

They use it fairly often

In other words they TOLERATE the use of that drop-in.

Hypocrites, pure and simple.

peeonwrigley
06-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Need I mention the "TB Diddlers" ad.

oeo
06-23-2006, 12:25 AM
I believe that if it was anyone other than Ozzie that said ***, it wouldn't have been made a big deal. To tell you the truth, I think it would have stayed among the reporters. It can't be the first time a word like that was used during an interview, but Ozzie is a huge target. They're just waiting for him to say something that will get him in trouble and make news for a couple of days. Couch sounds like a douchebag himself.

HotelWhiteSox
06-23-2006, 12:49 AM
They also have one of someone (Adam Sandler?) saying "You sound like a gay" whenever someone says something stupid.

McCuddy
06-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Hanley had mentioned that if such things were said in their workplace, he would expect the offenders to "take time off" or words to that effect.

These were the guys filling in for the guy that threw "Chinaman" in there a few weeks back, right? I don't recall North "taking time off" for that.

FRANK FORT
06-23-2006, 07:58 AM
The "You sound like a gay" is Champ from Anchorman. Keep in mind that the entire station, and I mean every host on there, made "Brokeback" jokes for at least six months straight. No pun intended.

SOXPHILE
06-23-2006, 09:32 AM
They do indeed use all those drops. In fact, the series of TB Diddler's "ads" always made me laugh the most. Alot of the jokes and soundrops they do about "gay", "retard", "dumb cracker", etc. I thought were funny. They pretty much make fun of everyone and everything. Equal opportunity offenders. Because I guess I have what could be called a warped, sick sense of humor, I don't mind it. In fact, some of the jokes that target my own race/creed/religon/social status etc. I find the funniest. What I don't like about those two, however, is how they suddenly get all self righteous and preachy when something is said or done they don't agree with. Ozzie was wrong for saying what he said. But please Bernstein, get the hell off the soapbox. Day in and day out, you and your crusty partner mock and ridicule all kinds of people, using all kinds of words that could be called "un-PC". You're not suddenly this beacon of integrity and virtue. You're a couple of phonies. Or, to use words you and Boers might appreciate more, you're a couple of "raging rectums".

Hawkeroo1980
06-23-2006, 09:40 AM
First of all, let me say, this is not a flame thread. I would like to pose a serious question about slurs in light of the whole Ozzie comment.

This all started yesterday for me when Mully and Hanley had Marriotti on their show and Hanley was pretty irate and seemed to be offended by Ozzie's comments.

They then proceeded to have Marriotti on and he spoke his mind about his safety and how he was persecuted by the Sox.

Question is, if Hanley is offended by such speech, are not the routines and drop-ins such "gay" frequently heard on B&B not the same thing?

They clearly use the word "gay" to refer to callers and things that they may not agree with or things they want to make fun of....

Should Hanley be as offended by his co-workers and his employer, for letting it go on for years, as by Ozzie's comments?

Seems to me, that you can't split hairs here...either you are offended by the comments that use homosexual terms in a negative context or you not.

Why persecute one and not the other?

If it is offensive in Ozzie's context, do you think it is offensive in B&B's?

I'd be curious to hear where people think the distinctions lie....

you're right...B&B use "gay" all the time.

Those windbags at the score are all the same........in my opinion, all it does is alienate fans from their station

TornLabrum
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Except for the Neanderthals such as some of those posting in this thread.

jdm2662
06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
you're right...B&B use "gay" all the time.

Those windbags at the score are all the same........in my opinion, all it does is alienate fans from their station

They've done a really good job of it, as evidenced by their pathetic ratings the last two or so years.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
I believe that if it was anyone other than Ozzie that said ***, it wouldn't have been made a big deal. To tell you the truth, I think it would have stayed among the reporters. It can't be the first time a word like that was used during an interview, but Ozzie is a huge target. They're just waiting for him to say something that will get him in trouble and make news for a couple of days. Couch sounds like a douchebag himself.

I agree completely. I'm becoming more and more convinced that because an uneducated, loud-mouth from some third world country won a world series people are looking for some way to tear him down. It's the only way they can feel good about themselves.

StillMissOzzie
06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Except for the Neanderthals such as some of those posting in this thread.

"We're sorry, we thought you guys were extinct."
"Next time, try doing a little research. I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."
"I don't have much of an appetite."

SMO
:D:

Uncle_Patrick
06-23-2006, 03:37 PM
"We're sorry, we thought you guys were extinct."
"Next time, try doing a little research. I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa."
"I don't have much of an appetite."

SMO
:D:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/wazoo75/geico_caveman.jpg

"Not cool!"

HotelWhiteSox
06-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Everytime I think of this, I remember more they use. Two different ones where someone yells "Gay!", "You sound like a gay", "You know how I know you're gay?". All used when someone says something stupid or they want to talk about something that has to do with homosexuality. The point is whether or not you think it's funny, the point is they ripped Ozzie while they've been doing the same thing for years. And the gay pride groups or any of these columnists have ever brought up any issue with a radio station in the #3 DMA doing this.