PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else hear Reinsdorf's comment on Marriotti?

Harry Chappas
06-22-2006, 10:21 PM
After saying all the right things with respect to Ozzie's controversial description of Marriotti, he said something along the lines of 'I don't blame Ozzie for going after that piece of garbage (Marriotti).' I love it. How often does the chairman of two professional sports franchises call a local "journalist" a piece of garbage? I figured Reinsdorf would stay above the fray, but he pulled an "Ozzie" and spoke his mind.

The other interesting thing I got out of Marriotti's column today was that he all but admitted he has an axe to grind with the Sox. Kind of tough for him to be objective, but I guess objectivity isn't a requirement for a columnist.

Apologies if this has already been covered. I was travelling so I'm just getting caught up.

rdwj
06-22-2006, 10:26 PM
That's great - good to hear the chairman tell it like it is

dickallen15
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
He called him a pissant last year.

Lyle Mouton
06-22-2006, 10:29 PM
He called him a pissant last year.

hahahah, thats way better

samram
06-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Well, there's no point in JR staying out of it. It's not like his feelings about that guy aren't well documented anyway.

HotelWhiteSox
06-22-2006, 10:55 PM
You know you're hated when the White Sox and Cubs team up to tell your employer that they hate you ( http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2006/soxcubs.pdf )

I heard this Reinsdorf comment by the way, it was great

Grobber33
06-22-2006, 11:37 PM
I have the key Jerry Reinsdorf Quotes in my 'Friday Thoughts' collum at
www.grobber.com (http://www.grobber.com) right now.
Mark Grote of WBBM got the exclusive.I got them from him here in the Press Box.

HotelWhiteSox
06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
Mark Grote of WBBM got the exclusive.I got them from him here in the Press Box.

In answer to your poll question, my favorite Ozzie 'off beat' moment was winning the World Series. It sure as hell wasn't the norm in this city before he started managing

vegyrex
06-22-2006, 11:54 PM
You know you're hated when the White Sox and Cubs team up to tell your employer that they hate you ( http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/downloads/y2006/soxcubs.pdf )

The fans of both teams might hate each other but they do agree about Mariotti: They hate him more!! :D:

dugwood31
06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Reinsdorf should stay out of it. Ozzie should keep his mouth shut -- as soon as we start losing, and we will start losing eventually, his crap is going to get old real fast.

This year, we have a pennant to win. This is turning into a sideshow and I'm tired of it.:angry:

Variable2
06-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Reinsdorf should stay out of it. Ozzie should keep his mouth shut -- as soon as we start losing, and we will start losing eventually, his crap is going to get old real fast.

This year, we have a pennant to win. This is turning into a sideshow and I'm tired of it.:angry:

See this is what I don't get. That already happened. Last year during the second half and the year before that. Last year the Indians erased a 15 game lead by playing out of their minds, and Ozzie stayed the same and was able to pull the team through that. If he can get through that, I m sure we will be able to get through this season without him being a distraction. I guess people like you just don't get it.

HotelWhiteSox
06-23-2006, 02:12 AM
See this is what I don't get. That already happened. Last year during the second half and the year before that. Last year the Indians erased a 15 game lead by playing out of their minds, and Ozzie stayed the same and was able to pull the team through that. If he can get through that, I m sure we will be able to get through this season without him being a distraction. I guess people like you just don't get it.

Exactly, last year's "I'll quit if we get to the World Series" thing was genius. My main concern is the on the field play. The off the field comments and controversies are between the parties involved and offended, I'll let them sort it out while the Sox continue to steamroll

RadioheadRocks
06-23-2006, 02:28 AM

... meanwhile the White Sox have won 9 of their last 10 and are only 1/2 game back from the Tigers.

MUsoxfan
06-23-2006, 02:33 AM

We don't want to offend any of the garbage or pissants in this world

Vernam
06-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Mark Grote of WBBM got the exclusive.I got them from him here in the Press Box.Is that a Doric collum or a Corinthian collum? :cool: How do you feel about Morrisey calling Moronotti "the First Blogger?" Wouldn't that be you? Is that how Moronotti's columns would look without an editor's taking a pass at them ?:rolleyes:

Vernam

Tragg
06-23-2006, 06:30 AM
Eventually, someone will research HIS writing and ask why he laces Reinsdorf, Williams, Ozzie and Dusty Baker with invective; calls people who live in middle-class Bridgeport "scum"; but somehow says nothing about Jim Hendry (who assembled that collection of northside oafs).

TornLabrum
06-23-2006, 07:30 AM
... meanwhile the White Sox have won 9 of their last 10 and are only 1/2 game back from the Tigers.

And none of the attention is focused on them. It's all focused on Ozzie. The Sox on-field play is once again under the radar, even as kicked the ever-loving crap out of the Cards in two games and then swept the series.

TornLabrum
06-23-2006, 07:31 AM
We don't want to offend any of the garbage or pissants in this world

Oh, and here's part of what Jerry Reinsdorf said, "What he thinks or says is of no moment to me right now."

That sentence is the definition of pissant.

MadetoOrta
06-23-2006, 07:51 AM
And none of the attention is focused on them. It's all focused on Ozzie. The Sox on-field play is once again under the radar, even as kicked the ever-loving crap out of the Cards in two games and then swept the series.

I'm not sure that isn't a good thing. The guys don't have to hear the constant "why aren't you gaining on Detroit?", "can you repeat?" etc ... I heard Michael Jordan comment about how he loved it when Rodman received all the media attention. He could just go about doing his business. There might be a method to Ozzie's madness.

TornLabrum
06-23-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm not sure that isn't a good thing. The guys don't have to hear the constant "why aren't you gaining on Detroit?", "can you repeat?" etc ... I heard Michael Jordan comment about how he loved it when Rodman received all the media attention. He could just go about doing his business. There might be a method to Ozzie's madness.

I wouldn't doubt that the attack on Mariotti was planned. I think the aftermath of the *** comment was more than he bargained for.

jenn2080
06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Listening to the Score right now and they are kind of defending Ozzie.

SOecks
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Listening to the Score right now and they are kind of defending Ozzie.

I expect this trend to continue now that the initial media feeding frenzy is over with. Plus there was that great article by Nadel interviewing Ozzie's gay hairstylist who defended Ozzie and the word he used by confirming how it's used in Venezuela. Here's a quote from the article. I hope the language filter takes care of the bad words.

"Anybody who really knows Ozzie knows he's special," Quiros said. "I'm from Puerto Rico and he's from Venezuela. We use words like '****' and '***' pretty often to describe people in jokes or putdowns. It's no big deal. Ozzie is a public figure, so that factors into the equation, but what he said about that writer didn't offend me or anybody I know."

spiffie
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
This whole thing makes me wonder what would happen if Reinsdorf, Hendry, Ted Phillips, and whomever runs the Hawks got together and said that as long as the Sun-Times is employing such a blatantly unfair and libelous columnist as the Moron they will not be giving press credentials any longer to Sun-Times reporters. I'm sure the S-T loves the attention right now, but how much would they be willing to give up to protect him?

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 10:19 AM
Reinsdorf said Guillen's choice of words were "terrible,but you have to separate that from the issue of the person he was talking about,,and that person is indeed a piece of garbage,and I understand why Ozzie was frustrated."

Nice to know your boss has your back!

Scottiehaswheels
06-23-2006, 11:03 AM
This whole thing makes me wonder what would happen if Reinsdorf, Hendry, Ted Phillips, and whomever runs the Hawks got together and said that as long as the Sun-Times is employing such a blatantly unfair and libelous columnist as the Moron they will not be giving press credentials any longer to Sun-Times reporters. I'm sure the S-T loves the attention right now, but how much would they be willing to give up to protect him?only problem I have with that is joe cowley(sp?) is the only non total hack job in chicago...

Thomes Forearm
06-23-2006, 11:10 AM
Nice to know your boss has your back!

The thing to think about with Jerry is that The Moron has been jacking his 2 franchises around since he started writing for the Sun-Grimes. Im young, but i remember my dad discussing how Jay berated Jordan and his gambling and how he was a bad role model and that Jordan only cares for himself. fast forward to post-Jordan, when Mike becomes part-owner and player for the W Wizards, The Moron didnt stop writing about how foolish the Bulls were for letting him go.

He also loved to criticize Da Coach and his coaching ability, citing that he's too hard and needs to relate to his players better. again, fastforward a few years and The Moron is writing about how badly we need Da Coach and his tenacious coaching style to bring the back the fierce Bear teams of yesteryear.

I started a Cubune boycott two years ago, and started a Sun-Crimes boycott last week after Jays rant over the Tracey incident. It's not as easy to find the Southtown and the NYTimes is a buck a pop, but it's better than knowing my money is going to two of the most poorly run newspapers in the nation.

samram
06-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I started a Cubune boycott two years ago, and started a Sun-Crimes boycott last week after Jays rant over the Tracey incident. It's not as easy to find the Southtown and the NYTimes is a buck a pop, but it's better than knowing my money is going to two of the most poorly run newspapers in the nation.

Good call. The Sun-Times is bird cage liner at best- assuming the birds would actually find that paper worthy of their ****, which is questionable. The Cubune isn't worth the time either. I go with the WSJ and it's got more on the front page in one day than either of the two Chicago dailies has in total for a week.

SOXfnNlansing
06-29-2006, 07:51 PM
here's the audio link to the interview

http://wbbm780.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=74900

fquaye149
06-30-2006, 12:52 AM
only problem I have with that is joe cowley(sp?) is the only non total hack job in chicago...

you talking about tailgunner joe?