PDA

View Full Version : Why was Dye's "hit" ruled an error?

rdwj
06-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Seems like that should have been scored a hit to me. Did I miss something?

Daver
06-22-2006, 11:08 PM
Seems like that should have been scored a hit to me. Did I miss something?

The fielder caught it in his glove, and didn't hold on, that is an error, not a hit.

QCIASOXFAN
06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
The fielder caught it in his glove, and didn't hold on, that is an error, not a hit. He got over in time and it hit him right in the glove. It was a play that should have been made.

A.T. Money
06-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Error was the right call, but a case can be made to make it a hit because he left his feet. Now of course Taguchi didn't really need to jump, but it was up on the fence.

Just like when Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones didn't need to jump when they would "rob" us of hits. It just looked better.

voodoochile
06-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Error was the right call, but a case can be made to make it a hit because he left his feet. Now of course Taguchi didn't really need to jump, but it was up on the fence.

Just like when Torii Hunter and Jacque Jones didn't need to jump when they would "rob" us of hits. It just looked better.
If he doesn't jump, he probably catches it in the webbing instead of have it go off the heel of the glove.

oeo
06-22-2006, 11:16 PM
He got over in time and it hit him right in the glove. It was a play that should have been made.

Sure, it should have been made...if he takes the right route, it's an easy play. Instead he was running all over the place and it turned into a tough play, that went off the heal of his glove. I still think it could have gone either way.

Lyle Mouton
06-22-2006, 11:17 PM
yeah that was an easily catchable ball that he clearly did not need to jump for

rdwj
06-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Anyone else of the opinion that it's scored a hit if the game wasn't a no-hitter up until that point?

dickallen15
06-22-2006, 11:28 PM
No, he clearly dropped the ball.

Brian26
06-22-2006, 11:29 PM
The fielder caught it in his glove, and didn't hold on, that is an error, not a hit.

Yes. The centerfielder covered a lot of territory to get there, but, ultimately, the ball should have been caught. It was a three base error.

Clembasbal
06-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Having a ball hit your mitt, or not...does not determine if it is a hit or an error, that is one of the major fallacies of keeping score. I had to take classes on this stuff in order to keep score for money!

But I will agree that it should have been caught which is why it was an error

rdwj
06-22-2006, 11:48 PM
Having a ball hit your mitt, or not...does not determine if it is a hit or an error, that is one of the major fallacies of keeping score.

What is the actual rule, or is it open to interpretation?

Ol' No. 2
06-22-2006, 11:56 PM
What is the actual rule, or is it open to interpretation?There are guidelines, but it's open to some interpretation. If it hits you in the hand, it's going to be an error unless it's an exceptionally difficult play. This wasn't.

ondafarm
06-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Taguchi had a very long run to get to that one and he thought he had to jump for the ball. I don't think that was a simple play.

Had it not been a no-hitter up to that point, I think that would have been ruled a hit.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 09:45 AM
There are guidelines, but it's open to some interpretation. If it hits you in the hand, it's going to be an error unless it's an exceptionally difficult play. This wasn't.

No way! That means every ball that bounces off an outfielder's glove and over the fence is a 4-base error, not a homerun. I've never heard of that.

Should have been caught + tough play = base hit

soxfan13
06-23-2006, 09:57 AM
My opinion is it was clearly an error. The no-hitter arguement might be able to be made if it was in St. Louis but it wasnt.

McCuddy
06-23-2006, 09:58 AM
No way! That means every ball that bounces off an outfielder's glove and over the fence is a 4-base error, not a homerun. I've never heard of that.

Should have been caught + tough play = base hit

Never seen an over-the-fence called a 4-base error, but saw Ron LeFlore commit one at the old park. Gary Allenson of the Red Sox lofted a fly ball to deep center, and it bounced off LeFlore's cap and rolled away.

ondafarm
06-23-2006, 03:56 PM
My opinion is it was clearly an error. The no-hitter arguement might be able to be made if it was in St. Louis but it wasnt.

Most officials scorers are team-blind with regards to that, in my experience.

Taguchi was not attempting to make a routine play.

Subjunctively, had Dye's or Mack's glove flown open when they made their catches and the ball come out, by the definitions here those are errors. No way, any and all of those are hits or great plays when made. Dye's was a stupendous play, IMO.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Never seen an over-the-fence called a 4-base error, but saw Ron LeFlore commit one at the old park. Gary Allenson of the Red Sox lofted a fly ball to deep center, and it bounced off LeFlore's cap and rolled away.

I was at that game, sitting in centerfield!!!! LeFlore's eyes got as big as saucers as the ball was ready to bounce off his head.

Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen at a baseball game. The second funniest was a foul pop hitting a ball boy. I forget who hit it, but Tony Bernazard was chasing the ball down the first base line. The ball boy picked up his chair and started running ... towards the path of the ball. A few seconds later, conk, right on the head. Good times. :D:

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Most officials scorers are team-blind with regards to that, in my experience.

Taguchi was not attempting to make a routine play.

Subjunctively, had Dye's or Mack's glove flown open when they made their catches and the ball come out, by the definitions here those are errors. No way, any and all of those are hits or great plays when made. Dye's was a stupendous play, IMO.

:?: Is that what the roads are near the park that pass under the CTA lines?

flo-B-flo
06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
That was butchery plain and simple. Someone wrote it. He didnt have to jump. When he did, it hit him in the palm instead of the pocket. Edward Scissor hands couldn't have done it better.

FoulTerritory
06-24-2006, 01:15 PM
The play was a definite error imho. It can't be compared to dye's catch, which was amazing and very difficult. Other than the fact that So had to cover a lot of ground, the play wasn't that difficult. The ball hit the heel of his glove cause of a horribly timed unnecessary jump . . . . it wasn't like he was leaping against the wall and it snow coned out.

Chez
06-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Anyone else of the opinion that it's scored a hit if the game wasn't a no-hitter up until that point?

Absolutely agree. I think official scorers are more prone to rule a close call an error if it's the first possible hit after the 4th or 5th inning.

TheKittle
06-24-2006, 09:07 PM
This play is a prime example why defensive stats are midleading at best and worthless at worst. Many OF wouldn't even come close to making that play but because So has great range, he was charged with an error. Against many other OF's that would have been a hit.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2006, 09:39 PM
This play is a prime example why defensive stats are midleading at best and worthless at worst. Many OF wouldn't even come close to making that play but because So has great range, he was charged with an error. Against many other OF's that would have been a hit.He didn't have to go that far. He just misjudged where it was going to come down and jumped when he didn't have to. IMO, an average CF would make that catch most of the time, which makes it an error.