PDA

View Full Version : Boycott the Suntimes

caulfield12
06-22-2006, 09:01 AM
Courtney@suntimes.com or scourtney@suntimes.com

He is Mariotti's editor.

"We're a rival of the Chicago Tribune and it's fair game to rip both teams," Mariotti said during an interview with Sun-Times colleagues Brian Hanley and Mike Mulligan on WSCR-AM 670. "But when it's the Sox, suddenly we have little meetings at the paper and suddenly there are issues and suddenly there's a column pulled here or there during the World Series, interestingly enough.

"That's where I have a problem with the Sun-Times."

The response came after Hanley asked Mariotti whether the Sun-Times has supported him during his long feud with the Sox and club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

"I wouldn't be forthright and honest if I didn't tell you I have my own doubts about my paper and its relationship with the White Sox," Mariotti replied. "We've had discussions about it, so I'm not speaking out of school.

"If the Chicago Tribune, as we've all suspected through the years, isn't quite as critical of the Cubs as the Sun-Times, heck, the Sun-Times needs to treat every team equally."

Reached Wednesday, Sun-Times sports editor Stu Courtney declined to comment.

credefan24
06-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Maybe I am in the minority here, but who really cares what a newspaper has to say about the Sox, or what columnist writes what on any given day? I mean, all I care about is solid pitching, good defense, and timely hitting. All of this other stuff are just distractions from the main goal- repeating as World Champs.
If one paper is critical of a team, and another isn't, so what? How does this effect the Sox? Besides given sports talk radio hosts something to chat about?

I'm not ripping on the poster who started this thread, just asking what the big "to do" is over newspapers and all that?

Go Sox.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2006, 09:12 AM
If you really want to make a difference, start boycotting all the business that advertise in the Sun-Times. Use e-mail, the phone and personal visits to tell those businesses exactly why you do not want your hard-earned money to funnel into the pockets of a worthless steaming pile of swine excrement like Mariotti. THEN e-mail the Sun Times editors and tell them that you told all those businesses that you would not patronize them as long as they continue to advertise with the Sun-Times.

This is the only way to get their attention. If enough Sox fans do this, eventually the Sun Times would cave to public pressure and not renew the Moron's contract.

He gone
06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Maybe I am in the minority here, but who really cares what a newspaper has to say about the Sox, or what columnist writes what on any given day?
I must be in the same minority class too, because I don't care about that stuff either.

I don't read the Sun-times much and I really could care less what Jay (that piece of chit) says. He's Garbage :D:

Mod Edit: You got three days for evading the language filter.

AuroraSoxFan
06-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Hell with all that stuff. No need to give Mariotti, the Sun Times or any other mdia stiffs the time of day. That's exactly what they want anyway. Biggest concern as fans should be getting to where we belong (1st). No need to waste time/effort on any sideshow circus acts.

brucefan34
06-22-2006, 09:34 AM
You know how I see this whole thing is like in "The Natural" Ozzie as Roy Hobbs and Mariotti as Max Maercy, the "never-played-a-day-of-organized-ball" reporter who is just looking for a story. He can make you a hero or a goat but has no idea about the game or how it is to be played!

Ozzie just needs to go out and keep winning and winning and winning and pretty soon nobody is really going to care about Mariotti and the BS he writes.

People complain about Hawk being too much of a "homer"...Mariotti is the complete opposite. He will try to find anything and everything wrong with anything positive ANY team in Chicago does. I'll take a "homer" any day!

BeeBeeRichard
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
If one paper is critical of a team, and another isn't, so what? How does this effect the Sox? Besides given sports talk radio hosts something to chat about?

Over the course of years and decades, media bias and media laziness can contribute to a reduction in popularity of one franchise vs. another. While the media may only contribute slightly to such shifts (in the Sox case, the strike and the White Flag trade would be examples of the club/league being primarily at fault), the media does have the power to turn public opinion on some secondary issues (the upper deck, for example).

How could it affect Sox fans? If the sequence events of a) the Sox ownership change, b) the Cubs ownership change to the Tribune (boosting their own product has undoubtedly had a negative affect on the competition) and c) the supposed need for a new ballpark on the South Side had been different (along with other outside issues such as state of Illinois finances, administration, etc.), a move to Florida would have been a much more real possibility back in 1988.

jenn2080
06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Maybe I am in the minority here, but who really cares what a newspaper has to say about the Sox, or what columnist writes what on any given day? I mean, all I care about is solid pitching, good defense, and timely hitting. All of this other stuff are just distractions from the main goal- repeating as World Champs.

I'm not ripping on the poster who started this thread, just asking what the big "to do" is over newspapers and all that?

Go Sox.

Ive been saying this for a while now!

Jerko
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
This is starting to remind me of "announcer-gate" across town a couple years back. How stupid did those Cub players look calling the press box and bitching about what Stone said? Pretty damn stupid IMO. Ignore the freakin moron. He's gonna say what he's gonna say no matter what we do, so why give him the ammo? Ozzie said something stupid, albeit, not "national news" stupid IMO, and Moron goes running to his "big brothers" Around the Horn and made it worse. Focus on baseball from now on Oz.

Unregistered
06-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I love how Mariotti complains that he had some (undoubtedly negative) story about the Sox during their first World Series in almost 50 years and complains that it got pulled. As if there was ANYTHING to complain about during their playoff run last year. Sure enough, Mariotti would find something. It was probably some hard-hitting exposé on how Frank is probably miserable because he couldn't play in the World Series or how Geoff Blum got lucky and had no business even PH'ing in the World Series. Same old "rain on your parade" Mariotti bull****...

mark2olson
06-22-2006, 09:59 AM
This is starting to remind me of "announcer-gate" across town a couple years back. How stupid did those Cub players look calling the press box and bitching about what Stone said? Pretty damn stupid IMO. Ignore the freakin moron. He's gonna say what he's gonna say no matter what we do, so why give him the ammo? Ozzie said something stupid, albeit, not "national news" stupid IMO, and Moron goes running to his "big brothers" Around the Horn and made it worse. Focus on baseball from now on Oz.

Amen to that, Amen!!!!

LongLiveFisk
06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
I never read Mariotti. I think I'm a better person just for that alone.

fuzzy_patters
06-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Mariotti is kind of like the class clown. If everyone would ignore him, he would go away.

Heffalump
06-22-2006, 10:46 AM
The Sox should just issue an edict to ignore the Moron and any questions regarding him. This should be issued to Ozzie, Hawk, and everybody else.

That being said, what Ozzie said was wrong, even though what he really meant was clear. It is not something that should come out of the mouth of the leader of the World Champs.

Has everyone made a bigger issue out of this becuase it is Ozzie and the Sox? Of course!

In my opinion, Ozzie is a "big mouth" and this will not be the last time he gets himself in trouble. but what it all comes down to is that he is the BEST manager for the Sox (maybe in all of baseball) and that with him the Sox are winning and will continue to win.

If all the papers and reporters want to yammer on about this other stuff, then so be it. I will sit back and enjoy the Sox as they hammer the #$%& out of everyone in the AL (that means YOU, Detroit!)

GO SOX!!!

SweetnesSox
06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
why are there two e-mail links?? which one is it?

unclegary
06-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I've been listening to ESPN radio here in SoCal. Moronotti is on the ESPN television payroll. I've attempted to watch the show on multiple occassions and to say it stinks would be a huge understatement. I could only take about five minutes. Obviously they are Ozzie bashing and supporting their ESPN half-wit. Makes me want to puke. :angry:

06-22-2006, 11:08 AM
I never read Mariotti. I think I'm a better person just for that alone.

He's like a car accident, you don't want to look, but you do

Chez
06-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Well, don't expect this to die down soon. It's rare that reporters get to be the subject of the news rather simply report on it. The sports reporting industry will milk this story for days.

That said, I really could care less what the media thinks or says about Ozzie or the Sox. The games are what matter, not the opinions of those covering the games.

fado
06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
since I have posted here, but I thought I would share an email that I wrote to Stu, along with his response.

Hi John,
Thanks for taking the time to write....a very thoughtful letter, you make some good points.
Regards,
--Stu
Stu Courtney
Sports Editor
Chicago Sun-Times
Mr. Courtney,

I wanted to send you a note regarding the recent actions of Mr. Mariotti and the way this has been blown way out of proportion. In a recent column, which is most likely why Ozzie had some words to say about Mr. Mariotti, he wrote "has he (Guillen) officially lost his mind?" and "I'm worried about the man and you should be too." This on top of always calling him the "Blizzard of OZ" has cast a bad light on the manager who brought a World Series championship to the White Sox for the first time in 88 years. Mr. Mariotti has issues with Jerry Reinsdorf and in my opinion will disparage the organization anyway he possibly can.

This is not the first time that Mr. Mariotti has tried to cast a shadow over the organization, from ranting that the neighborhood is unsafe, calling US Cellular "ballmall" and grouping White Sox fans with the Ligue's that run out onto the field. I have noticed that whenever Mr. Mariotti can bring up the incidents regarding the people that ran on the field he always seems to neglect mentioning that the same things have happened at Wrigley Field as often as they have at US Cellular. Mr. Mariotti's vendetta against all things associated with Jerry Reinsdorf have put him in this position and for him to say that he is not safe in the clubhouse comes to no surprise to me considering everything negative he has said about the team, the organization, and it's stadium.

Guillen's comments were inappropriate and I will not defend what he said. But he has apologized to people who did take offense publicly, but not to Mr. Mariotti. I listened to some of the things that have been said by Mariotti, that he is not welcome there and that the White Sox have not pursued talking to him about his situation regarding clubhouse security. However, Scott Reifert has said that he has called and sent letters to him and they have not been responded to. I do not expect him to either. Mr. Mariotti likes to stir up controversy whenever he can especially when it concerns the White Sox, but the truth of the matter is most of what he says and writes about is false information, quotes taken out of context, or outright lies.

Paul Konerko said it best in an interview, "Playing for Ozzie has been nothing but good for everybody in this clubhouse, including myself. Playing for Ozzie is a walk in the park. I'll tell you what; we're not going to trade him for anybody else. He's our manager, and there's a lot of people that have been brought in expected to win, that were supposed to be the right guy. That's one thing you can't say about Ozzie, that he can't take the heat. He's right in the middle of it all day, and he's got the ring to show you he can do it.''

If that does not tell you something about the way his players feel for him then nothing ever will and I am sure that Mr. Mariotti will neglect to even look at this quote and continue to look through his narrow point of view regarding the White Sox. And in the column that I referenced to earlier, he mentions that maybe Guillen's players are tiring of his routine, but considering the above quote from Konerko, I would think not. I do understand that Mr. Mariotti is a columnist and that part of his job is to make comments and write his opinions regarding Chicago sports and their players, but I would think that his job would also be to go to these players and their venues and make sure that what he is writing is not flat out wrong.

I stopped reading his column along time ago not just because of his shallow view of the Sox, but also because I feel that he is an antagonist and that he writes what he does because it will generate controversy amongst his readers therefore increasing his readership thinking that everyone will read him to see what is he going to write about today. I think it has caused that exact opposite effect in that readers have decided that he is not worth reading and I think that can be backed by the abysmal ratings that he had in his 11 months on AM1000. I know that Mr. Mariotti feels that big-bad Jerry Reinsdorf had him thrown off the air, but I can read listener ratings charts and I think that had a lot more to do with it then a conspiracy theory.

Mr. Mariotti feels that Guillen should be suspended for two weeks for his comment. While I feel that the organization should do something about the situation I do not think any suspension is warranted. The comment was intended for one person, not a group of people and that is where the issue lies. Guillen was not showing homophobic tendencies, he was directing a comment at someone who is a thorn in the organization's side. In fact Guillen is attending the Gay Games and is supposed to attend the Gay Pride parade. However, I do think that it is time for Mr. Mariotti to take his circus act to a new city. He is not selling papers based upon his columns and like I mentioned before he most likely is not even being read by most people who purchase the Sun-Times. He says in today's column that he became what he didn't want to be "the news", I however, whole-heartedly disagree. This is what Mr. Mariotti lives for and why he is on a national show, to promote himself and not the paper that he is working for.

fquaye149
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
If you really want to make a difference, start boycotting all the business that advertise in the Sun-Times. Use e-mail, the phone and personal visits to tell those businesses exactly why you do not want your hard-earned money to funnel into the pockets of a worthless steaming pile of swine excrement like Mariotti. THEN e-mail the Sun Times editors and tell them that you told all those businesses that you would not patronize them as long as they continue to advertise with the Sun-Times.

This is the only way to get their attention. If enough Sox fans do this, eventually the Sun Times would cave to public pressure and not renew the Moron's contract.

No offense, but are you going to call up Giordano's Pizza (just for sake of example) and say "I would be eating at your pizza place but you advertise in the Sun-Times and Jay Mariotti, a sports columnist says a bunch of stupid things that annoy me"? I mean, if I were a business owner and I got that call, I'd probably treat it the same as if I were a museum curator and got a call from Carl Everett saying he wouldn't come to my museum b/c we had too many dinosaurs.

Sigh...Don't take it so seriously. He's a shock jock. That's all. If you get upset about him, you're letting him win. It's like liberals getting upset about Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter or conservatives getting upset about Al Franken and Jon Stewart. And that's politics! This is SPORTS. I mean...sigh, take a deep breath. Remember: IT'S THE MORON.

tebman
06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
He's a shock jock. That's all. If you get upset about him, you're letting him win. It's like liberals getting upset about Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter or conservatives getting upset about Al Franken and Jon Stewart. And that's politics! This is SPORTS. I mean...sigh, take a deep breath. Remember: IT'S THE MORON.

:thumbsup:

What he said. This has everything to do with self-promotion, and nothing to do with journalism or public discourse.

The Sun-Times will keep that hack on the payroll as long as he sells papers for them. As soon as that stops, he'll be out of there. He is a geek, in the original sideshow attention-grabbing meaning of the term:
Geek: A performer at a carnival who swallows various live animals and bugs. Sometimes this extends to biting off the heads of chickens. The Geek would usually perform in a "geek pit". This sense of the word dates back to the 1920s, and possibly comes from the 16th century word geck, originally of Low German origin.

The carnival will leave town eventually.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
No offense, but are you going to call up Giordano's Pizza (just for sake of example) and say "I would be eating at your pizza place but you advertise in the Sun-Times and Jay Mariotti, a sports columnist says a bunch of stupid things that annoy me"? I mean, if I were a business owner and I got that call, I'd probably treat it the same as if I were a museum curator and got a call from Carl Everett saying he wouldn't come to my museum b/c we had too many dinosaurs.

If one person did it, the owner/manager would laugh. If 10 people did it, they might get curious. If 500 people did it, the business (depending on how big it is) might move their ad dollars elsewhere. I personally don't care. I don't live in Chicago, don't read the Sun-Times and don't have ESPN, so I never have to encounter the Moron. I just made the suggestion for those people who want to take positive action that would have a chance of bringing about the changes they desire.

kwolf68
06-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Mod Edit: Political rant deleted. Take a week to read up on the rules here.

AngryCollins
06-22-2006, 02:17 PM

I'll have to stop going to the massage parlors by the airport?

fquaye149
06-22-2006, 02:17 PM
If one person did it, the owner/manager would laugh. If 10 people did it, they might get curious. If 500 people did it, the business (depending on how big it is) might move their ad dollars elsewhere. I personally don't care. I don't live in Chicago, don't read the Sun-Times and don't have ESPN, so I never have to encounter the Moron. I just made the suggestion for those people who want to take positive action that would have a chance of bringing about the changes they desire.
Yeah...and I mean, it's a little suspect for me to ask fans on a White Sox message board (and me with like 3000 posts myself) not to be so sports-sessed that they let their buying habits be shaped by which paper some fat ass windbag writes for...

but in effect that's kind of what i'm doing.

edit: oops: I guess I have 4,200 posts. Wow. I'm a dweeb ;-)

ChiSoxGirl
06-22-2006, 02:51 PM
I've been listening to ESPN radio here in SoCal. Moronotti is on the ESPN television payroll. I've attempted to watch the show on multiple occassions and to say it stinks would be a huge understatement. I could only take about five minutes. Obviously they are Ozzie bashing and supporting their ESPN half-wit. Makes me want to puke. :angry:

I put ESPN Radio on here at noon because that's when we get national programming on 1000, but Dan Patrick was talking NBA basketball when I tuned in, so I didn't give it a listen.

Locally, it's all over The Score. The way they're picking apart what Ozzie said in a press conference is unbelievable almost to the point it makes me laugh. It's just the media looking for something to not just talk about, but nit-pick and gripe about, too! On The Score early this afternoon, it was even to the point where the host was questioning whether or not Ozzie's demeanor and "behavior" is going to cost the Sox a chance at another World Championship! :?: :angry:

Edward
06-22-2006, 02:52 PM

IIRC he has something like a 10 year contract with the Sun-Times. I remember some WSI'er e-mailed him and his response was "Sorry, 10 year contract" or something to that effect. He's not going away any time soon. Complaining about him is just going to lead to more people reading his column. I think we're all better off just giving this idiot the silent treatment.

Banix12
06-22-2006, 02:58 PM
You know, I usually think a well thought out letter, stamp and all, is still a better response than emailing your complaints. I just think it says more.

I agree though with the guys who said ignore it.

The Teddy Greenstein article Caulfield is quoting is actually pretty interesting. You really get a feel in the quotes of Mariotti's paranoia and persecution complex.

My favorite lines were where he talked about his radio show and then Greenstein wrote the line that ESPN 1000 fired him because he was too difficult to work with.

Then I liked the line about Mariotti's complaint that the sox players have threatened him physically but he also admitted that none of these players are still on the team and have long since gone.

Hey Fado, that letter is waaay too long, try and keep it to a paragraph or two.

fado
06-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey Fado, that letter is waaay too long, try and keep it to a paragraph or two.

To be honest I was a little ticked off when I wrote it and thought that it would never be read, but I was surprised when I got a response. Sorry for the meanderings.

rdwj
06-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Mod edit: You know something? It would make our jobs a hell of a lot easier if you would refrain from quoting the entire discourse that got this guy banned for a week. You might want to consider that before you get banned.

You DO know the rules about political posts I assume? If not, you better read the rules or you'll end up being banned

Banix12
06-22-2006, 03:22 PM
To be honest I was a little ticked off when I wrote it and thought that it would never be read, but I was surprised when I got a response. Sorry for the meanderings.

No need to be sorry. I'm suprised it got read as well. I just have found that with these kinds of letters, since newspapers and radio guys get them a lot, it is best to keep them short and sweet. Name like 2-3 main points and send it.

fquaye149
06-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Mod edit: Political rants are inappropriate. Quoting them is nearly as bad.
cool out. I wasn't comparing them directly. This isn't the appropriate juncture, but you might as well recognize that some people agree with Ann Coulter and some people agree with Jon Stewart. It's the way the world works, for better or worse.

caracascat
06-22-2006, 05:14 PM
In light of Marroti always distorting the truth about the Sox and villifying them at every turn. We Sox fans should stand up boycott the Sun Times until they deep six him. Why pay for a paper that goes out of their way to coddle a Sox basher

twentywontowin
06-22-2006, 05:27 PM
That's a stellar idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

Palehose13
06-22-2006, 05:29 PM
No problem. I haven't bought a Sun Times or Tribune in years.

getonbckthr
06-22-2006, 05:54 PM
So don't read the Times, and don't read the Trib! How will I get my news

TornLabrum
06-22-2006, 05:59 PM

Neither have I. You think they'll notice our new boycott?

Jurr
06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm going to be buying that damn sun-times in October that's got AJ and the bunch celebrating their second title. Other than that, I'm game! Wait...I live in Memphis. I just read the papers on line. :tongue:

vernhillssoxfan
06-22-2006, 06:17 PM
So don't read the Times, and don't read the Trib! How will I get my news

I realize that is teal, but remember news is written by someone with and opinion therefore it is not news.

getonbckthr
06-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I realize that is teal, but remember news is written by someone with and opinion therefore it is not news.
did you just question the use and meaning of teal?
:sopranos would like to talk to you!!

MarySwiss
06-22-2006, 06:30 PM
:?:

CanBuehrleWait
06-22-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.paxtonphoto.com/People/Yogi%20Berra%20at%20Home.jpg"And it's cash... which is just as good as money"

cheeses_h_rice
06-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Did I suddenly get sucked into a time-space vortex and I'm now back in 2001?

:?:

vernhillssoxfan
06-22-2006, 07:08 PM
did you just question the use and meaning of teal?
:sopranos would like to talk to you!!
I have someone else I would like those guy's to visit first.

DaleJRFan
06-22-2006, 07:15 PM

Aside from buying the World Series editions, I'm right with you. I stopped buying the Trib & ST long ago.

TDog
06-22-2006, 08:06 PM
From what I read around here, I just assumed the Sun-Times had no interest in having Sox buy their paper in the first place.

lumpyspun
06-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm going to be buying that damn sun-times in October that's got AJ and the bunch celebrating their second title. Other than that, I'm game! Wait...I live in Memphis. I just read the papers on line. :tongue:

Reading their crap online is just as bad b/c they log everyone who visits it and make money from advertising based on hits on the site. So, do what I do...go to this site:

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/white-sox/

and read about our White Sox from the papers of the cities we are playing against. I would rather read a St. Louis paper talk about the Sox than a Chicago paper talk about the Sox...

White Sox Randy
06-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Courtney@suntimes.com or scourtney@suntimes.com

He is Mariotti's editor.

"We're a rival of the Chicago Tribune and it's fair game to rip both teams," Mariotti said during an interview with Sun-Times colleagues Brian Hanley and Mike Mulligan on WSCR-AM 670. "But when it's the Sox, suddenly we have little meetings at the paper and suddenly there are issues and suddenly there's a column pulled here or there during the World Series, interestingly enough.

"That's where I have a problem with the Sun-Times."

The response came after Hanley asked Mariotti whether the Sun-Times has supported him during his long feud with the Sox and club Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

"I wouldn't be forthright and honest if I didn't tell you I have my own doubts about my paper and its relationship with the White Sox," Mariotti replied. "We've had discussions about it, so I'm not speaking out of school.

"If the Chicago Tribune, as we've all suspected through the years, isn't quite as critical of the Cubs as the Sun-Times, heck, the Sun-Times needs to treat every team equally."

Reached Wednesday, Sun-Times sports editor Stu Courtney declined to comment.

I cancelled my Sun-Times subscription years ago. When they asked me why, I told them because they continue to publish the writings of Jay Idiotti.

So, I ordered the Tribune for a while. I eventually cancelled that. When they asked why, I said because your coverage of the White Sox is unacceptable.

Then, when the Sun-Times came out with the White Sox baseball promotion, I ordered it again.

Please tell me what I should do ?

Maybe I should just boycott the Trib, the Times, ESPN, FOX, MLB, WSI, the Flintstones, my dog.....

russ99
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Actually, The Sun-Times gives the Sox some really good unbiased coverage, except for Moronatti and his lackey story-boy Greg Couch.

Telander had a really good article about the slur mess, and understands both sides.

I certainly am not going to switch to the Cubune!

Chicken Dinner
06-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Actually, The Sun-Times gives the Sox some really good unbiased coverage, except for Moronatti and his lackey story-boy Greg Couch.

Telander had a really good article about the slur mess, and understands both sides.

I certainly am not going to switch to the Cubune!

I agree. There's nothing wrong with the "beat writers". It's the columnists that are at issue here. Maybe we just need a few well worded signs in the crowd at the games.

I want Mags back
06-23-2006, 12:15 PM
OH NO there not gonna get my $.35 every day. If sure they will go bankrupt now

MVP
06-23-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't buy the Sun-Times or the Tribune and I'm still able to keep up with what's going on with baseball, the Sox and the world. There's plenty of other media outlets out there and I don't feel that I need to settle for either the Tribune or the Sun-Times.

champagne030
06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
I agree. There's nothing wrong with the "beat writers". It's the columnists that are at issue here. Maybe we just need a few well worded signs in the crowd at the games.

Joe Cowley is a jagbag. Paul Sullivan still has issues with some associated with the Sox. Kiley, umm, need I say more?

Edit: Forgot Gonzales. He seems to not like the Sox, but maybe it's because he's had to visit McFails office and thus his style.

INSox56
06-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Joe Cowley is a jagbag. Paul Sullivan still has issues with some associated with the Sox. Kiley, umm, need I say more?

Edit: Forgot Gonzales. He seems to not like the Sox, but maybe it's because he's had to visit McFails office and thus his style.

Sullivan's irrelevant...he's the Cubs beat writer. Can't expect much when he spends like 100% of his day with the cubs.

Dick Allen
06-23-2006, 01:44 PM
As I said in another thread, Jay Mariotti is irrelevant. It's too bad Ozzie dignified him with a response. I've subscribed to the S-T for years but can count on one hand the number of times I've read his column.

AJTrenkle
06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
The .35cents is nothing but a decline in circulation can be very important. What is the Sun-Times circulation vs the Trib, Herald or SouthTown?