PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone earned more, yet worked less than this guy?

Baby Fisk
06-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Wood's season might be done. Wow, just wow.

linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060621cubswood,1,1197196.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines)

If Wood's season is finished, his Cubs career may be over as well. The Cubs have a $13.5 million option for '07, but are likely to exercise a $3 million buyout and perhaps negotiate an incentive-laden deal with a low base.

Wood signed a $32 million contract in spring training of 2004. He has gone 12-15 with a 3.90 earned-run average since, throwing only 226 innings.

VA_GoGoSox
06-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I think Ryan Leaf left the NFL with a pretty sizable signing bonus for essentially doing nothing, but IIRC it was closer to 15 milllion.

MrRoboto83
06-22-2006, 12:36 PM
Wood was truely a one-hit wonder.

skottyj242
06-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Larry Brown.

Banix12
06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Well for now Larry Brown has made like $50 million bucks in the last year just for getting fired from the Pistons and Knicks.

maybe also any of the big name talent the Devil Rays acquired in the late 90's. Canseco, Vaughn, Alvarez, even Castilla. Those guys were largely worthless at the time.

At the time I don't think I can blame the cubs for giving him the contract. He was just coming off two years in 2002 and 2003 where he threw over 200 innings, had an ERA under 4 and struck out over 200 batters. Sometimes things just don't work out. I really don't think it's all wood's fault as some people make it out to be.

It just wasn't meant to be.

Lip Man 1
06-22-2006, 12:57 PM
ESPN radio reports that Larry Dolan the chairman of the board said he will not pay Brown the remaining 40 million dollars.

Lip

SOXPHILE
06-22-2006, 12:58 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/Chrisfarley.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chrisfarley.jpg)

"Ummm...Hey..Kerry...? Remember that time back in 1998...when you, like, struck out like..20 Astros ? Yeah...THAT WAS AWESOME !"

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
I still think that it would be a low-risk, high-reward gamble for the Sox to take a flyer on the guy if the Cubs decide not to re-sign him. As I wrote in a previous thread, I would shut him down for an entire year to work exclusively on rehabilitating, stretching and relaxing his entire body (not just his arm, elbow and shoulder). In October 2007 (just after the three-peat parade), I'd have him work with Coop to re-build his motion and mechanics, with an eye toward using him in a bullpen role in 2008.

After all, the Sox have had a track record of success with low-risk, high-reward guys coming off injuries and/or other problems over the years (Thome, Dye, Ellis Burks, Cal Eldred, Jenks, Thornton, etc.).

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2006, 01:05 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/81/Chrisfarley.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Chrisfarley.jpg)

"Ummm...Hey..Kerry...? Remember that time back in 1998...when you, like, struck out like..20 Astros ? Yeah...THAT WAS AWESOME !"

Can you believe that Chris Farley died the Christmas before Wood threw those 20 strikeouts?
:o:

SOXPHILE
06-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Can you believe that Chris Farley died the same year that Wood threw those 20 strikeouts?
:o:

Actually, I believe it was right before Christmas of 1997. Only 4 months before though ! Hard to believe it's been that long.

Frater Perdurabo
06-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Actually, I believe it was right before Christmas of 1997. Only 4 months before though ! Hard to believe it's been that long.

You're right. I originally had thought he died just before Christmas of 1997, but then I googled "Chris Farley obituary" and the first linked page said Dec. 18, 1998 was the date. So I went with that. That dang-blasted Google, they should be shut down! Next time I'll check more than one source. Anyway, Farley never got to see Kerry Woods' one day of greatness.

FWIW, the friend of a co-worker of mine at the time was at a nightclub somewhere in Chicago just two nights before Farley was found dead. Apparently Dennis Rodman was seen trying to wake Farley up after he passed out while seated at a table. Who knows what he had ingested. That very likely was just hours before he died.
:(:

The sad thing is that if Kerry Wood can't get healthy soon, he's gonna be living in a van down by the river!

fquaye149
06-22-2006, 01:43 PM
I still think that it would be a low-risk, high-reward gamble for the Sox to take a flyer on the guy if the Cubs decide not to re-sign him. As I wrote in a previous thread, I would shut him down for an entire year to work exclusively on rehabilitating, stretching and relaxing his entire body (not just his arm, elbow and shoulder). In October 2007 (just after the three-peat parade), I'd have him work with Coop to re-build his motion and mechanics, with an eye toward using him in a bullpen role in 2008.

After all, the Sox have had a track record of success with low-risk, high-reward guys coming off injuries and/or other problems over the years (Thome, Dye, Ellis Burks, Cal Eldred, Jenks, Thornton, etc.).
I feel like some team will sign him to a money contract. If we can get him to a minor league deal, why not, I guess.

My only hesitation is that he seems to be the kind of guy resistant to "suggestions." as in: he's a pig-headed ******* who won't change his mechanics despite the fact that his mechanics are what ****ing have landed him on the dl umpteen times.

Yeah Coop is great, perhaps even the best (besides Mazzone) but the fact is, you have to WANT to be helped, and with all the money Wood(S) has got in the bank...well you know.

SOXPHILE
06-22-2006, 01:48 PM
You're right. I originally had thought he died just before Christmas of 1997, but then I googled "Chris Farley obituary" and the first linked page said Dec. 18, 1998 was the date. So I went with that. That dang-blasted Google, they should be shut down! Next time I'll check more than one source. Anyway, Farley never got to see Kerry Woods' one day of greatness.

FWIW, the friend of a co-worker of mine at the time was at a nightclub somewhere in Chicago just two nights before Farley was found dead. Apparently Dennis Rodman was seen trying to wake Farley up after he passed out while seated at a table. Who knows what he had ingested. That very likely was just hours before he died.
:(:

The sad thing is that if Kerry Wood can't get healthy soon, he's gonna be living in a van down by the river!

Ha ha ! Actually, the reason I thought this was I had just bought and moved into a new house back in November of 1997, and I remember hearing about it not too long afterwords. I think it was a friday, because I was on my way to meet some friends from work to go out :gulp: , and they were talking about it on the radio.

QCIASOXFAN
06-22-2006, 02:30 PM
He truly is a waste of roster and cap space. It almost makes me feel kind of bad that he makes that much money and the rest of the team does not make **** besides Lee and Prior. Then again I realize that the Cubs management is truly pathetic.

WizardsofOzzie
06-22-2006, 02:54 PM
You just wait till we get Wood back!! What? He's not coming back this year? Hurt again? Well hey he struck out 20 guys once so he should keep working with Larry and the towel throwing drill. But you wait till we get Prior back!! And Lee, yeah then we are going to go on a 20 game win streak!! Where's my Old Style?

-A prediction of a cubs fan's brain process

Banix12
06-22-2006, 03:17 PM

He would be a good low-risk, high reward guy for some team but I think there are certainly other teams out there more desperate for starting pitching that would be willing to offer more than the White Sox would be willing to give. More than likely he'll be sitting out this season and some team will pick him up, I bet the cubs will at a lower rate. The Cubs love picking up injured pitchers

I really don't know if Wood is as uncoachable as some people on this board make him out to be.
- He stopped throwing the big overhand curveball after the Tommy John surgery to protect his arm. Instead favoring a slider.
- He willingly went to the bullpen last season when a lot of other pitchers would have raised a huge stink.

I don't really see those instances as evidence of a pig-headed pitcher.

As I recall, the cubs coaching staff really never made an issue of Wood's mechanics until a couple years ago, after the media started to really hammer them about it. Which I recall was started by a comment Steve Stone made.

The cubs seemed perfectly happy to let him use his bad mechanics as long as he could throw 94-97 MPH and strike out 230 batters a year.

And anyway, his bad mechanics netted him a contract that earned him like 13 million bucks this year. I see the point that bad mechanics have caused a lot of his recent and past troubles. I'm just saying that until maybe last season nobody ever really seemed to be trying to create a change or was willing to give him a good reason to.

TornLabrum
06-22-2006, 05:45 PM
In answer to the question in the title of this thread, I have two words: Jay Mariotti.

Norberto7
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I'll say he did more than Darren Dreifort....

http://mikesrants.baseballtoaster.com/archives/322892.html

In total, Dreifort only pitched in three of the five years in his elephantine contract, and in that span he went 8-15 in 86 games only 26 of which were starts, he threw 205.2 innings and had a 4.64 ERA. Basically, the Dodgers paid $55 M for what amounts to one bad year for a starter.

samram
06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Where do I sign up for one of these no work, big pay jobs?

jamokes
06-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Kerry Wood? Ex-cub factor, no thank you.

dickallen15
06-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Tim Thomas made a lot of money doing nothing this season. In the NBA if you get waived they give you your entire salary and the minimum you get with another team is extra. I remember BJ Armstrong endorsing these virtues several years ago.

StillMissOzzie
06-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Where's that guy with Tyson Chandler in his signature when you really need it?

SMO
:gulp:

JorgeFabregas
06-22-2006, 11:59 PM
ESPN radio reports that Larry Dolan the chairman of the board said he will not pay Brown the remaining 40 million dollars.

Lip
Does he have a choice? My understanding is that the team is obligated to make up the difference between any new contract he signs and his previous one. Furthermore, they have to pay all of it if he doesn't sign, right?

PatK
06-23-2006, 08:37 AM
He truly is a waste of roster and cap space. It almost makes me feel kind of bad that he makes that much money and the rest of the team does not make **** besides Lee and Prior. Then again I realize that the Cubs management is truly pathetic.

There's no cap in baseball.

SBSoxFan
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
There's no cap in baseball.

I actually thought he meant cap as in the one you wear on your head ... lol ... which would be appropriate too!