PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to agree with Kermit...

czalgosz
02-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Not that I ever want to see Rickey Henderson in a Sox uniform, but I was looking at his numbers last season, and they were pretty impressive. I decided to compare them to a guy who is some ways is very similar, but in other ways is his polar opposite - Ichiro Suzuki.

Suzuki - (2001) - 722 PAs, 242 H, 30 BBs, 127 R, 56 SBs, 14 CS
OBP - .381

That's very impressive. 722 Plate Appearances has got to be close to the record, as well. I decided to take Rickey Henderson's 2001 numbers and prorate them to 722 plate appearances.

Henderson - (2001) - 722 PAs, 135 H, 127 BBs, 110 R, 39 SBs, 11 CS
OBP - .366

Now, I'm not trying to say that Henderson is better than Suzuki. But I think these numbers show that they are at least pretty similar. Henderson is almost as effective as Suzuki in terms of what's important - scoring runs.

But, there definitely is a league bias against the base on balls, because they aren't as sexy as hits. So Ichiro gets an MVP award, and Henderson is looking for work.

Again, I'm NOT trying to say that the Sox should get Henderson, mainly because there's nowhere to put him and I don't like his additude. But Kermit definitely has a point when he says that Henderson is still a valuable player.

doublem23
02-08-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
But, there definitely is a league bias against the base on balls, because they aren't as sexy as hits. So Ichiro gets an MVP award, and Henderson is looking for work.

:ray
Of course there's a bias against something as useless as walks when you can swing for the fences.

Bmr31
02-08-2002, 07:34 PM
Not that I ever want to see Rickey Henderson in a Sox uniform, but I was looking at his numbers last season, and they were pretty impressive. I decided to compare them to a guy who is some ways is very similar, but in other ways is his polar opposite - Ichiro Suzuki.

OBP - .381

That's very impressive. 722 Plate Appearances has got to be close to the record, as well. I decided to take Rickey Henderson's 2001 numbers and prorate them to 722 plate appearances.

OBP - .366

Now, I'm not trying to say that Henderson is better than Suzuki. But I think these numbers show that they are at least pretty similar. Henderson is almost as effective as Suzuki in terms of what's important - scoring runs.

Again, I'm NOT trying to say that the Sox should get Henderson, mainly because there's nowhere to put him and I don't like his additude. But Kermit definitely has a point when he says that Henderson is still a valuable player.

numbers dont mean a great deal when one of the two players you are comparing is 98 years old............ :)

RichH55
02-08-2002, 08:52 PM

OBP - .381

OBP - .366

Speaking on Ricky's attitude, have you ever heard teammates complain about the guy, or do anything but praise him? Im under the impression he has always been a good teammate and a good ballplayer

ode to veeck
02-10-2002, 02:22 PM
i'm afraid I have to agree with BMR here, in spite of '01 numbers, he'd be the '02 version of Harold

RedPinStripes
02-10-2002, 04:36 PM
He's still a scumbag.

LongDistanceFan
02-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Speaking on Ricky's attitude, have you ever heard teammates complain about the guy, or do anything but praise him? Im under the impression he has always been a good teammate and a good ballplayer 2 yrs ago if my memory is correct......... it was in the playoff when NY met was there and something about him playing cards.......

then again he was on a west coast team and wouldn't take the sign from the 3b caoch and swung away............ a player who refuse to be mention said that his attitude in me and all me...

Cheryl
02-11-2002, 03:30 PM
I would have loved to seen Rickey in a Sox uniform even two years ago...but not now.

kermittheefrog
02-11-2002, 03:35 PM
I think now that we've got Lofton there is definitely no room for Rickey on the roster but it was a nice idea. I actually like this Lofton signing a little more than the idea of signing Henderson because Lofton can play center and probably has a little more charge left in his bat. I just thought Lofton wouldn't be so dirt cheap.