PDA

View Full Version : Media coverage of Ozzie

caulfield12
06-21-2006, 06:02 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/red-062106-guillen,1,4402670.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

As predicted...or predictable, the feeding frenzy is just beginning

SOXfnNlansing
06-21-2006, 06:04 PM
:rolleyes: *yawn*

QCIASOXFAN
06-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Who saw this coming!

DickAllen72
06-21-2006, 06:10 PM
:whocares

pdimas
06-21-2006, 06:13 PM
It must be the guys who organized this:

http://www.chicagofreepress.com/oatb/Resources/oatbfullpagead06.jpeg

Juice16
06-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Who Cares

wsoxfan
06-21-2006, 06:54 PM
I agree, I don't think anyone really cares...

havelj
06-21-2006, 07:07 PM
:threadblows:

Palehose13
06-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I hate saying this, but it is nice to see Wrigley Field taking part in gay pride activities. It is unfortunate for gay sox fans...and yes, there are quite a few out there.

caulfield12
06-21-2006, 08:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2494929

Here we go...

DickAllen72
06-21-2006, 09:01 PM
How many threads are you going to start on this topic?? There are already three.

Big Freakin' Deal!!!

TheOldRoman
06-21-2006, 09:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2494929

Here we go...
Good, I was hoping to hear more lies and overgeneralizations from media imbeciles. Hitting a batter after yours are hit several times is NOT a part of the game. Shame on Ozzie.

HOW DARE HE INSULT A-ROD!!!:rolleyes:

daveeym
06-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I hate saying this, but it is nice to see Wrigley Field taking part in gay pride activities. It is unfortunate for gay sox fans...and yes, there are quite a few out there. Are the sox against this? Have they tried preventing this? Or would location have more to do with it?

QCIASOXFAN
06-21-2006, 09:12 PM
How many threads are you going to start on this topic?? There are already three.

Big Freakin' Deal!!! The real question is how many more of these stupid articles are we going to have to read.

soltrain21
06-21-2006, 09:53 PM
All I want to know is why everyone is making us out to be the bad guys in the bean ball wars. That is what is really pissing me off.

The Dude
06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
The coverage all over espn.com is unreal! I think this is more press for us than when the Sox won the World Series! They have a 10 question multiple choice deal on Ozzie, a cover story on him, and another poll about if you'd want him managing your favorite team! Not sure if this is posted in the Ozzie threads...sorry if it is!

Cover Story
http://espn.go.com/

10 question poll
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2235

Manager poll
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index?&lpos=globalnav&lid=gn_MLB_MLB

Un-****ing believable!!:angry:

oeo
06-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Now that basketball and hockey are over, there's not much to talk about. Oh well, this will all blow over in a few days.

ChiSoxLifer
06-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Now that basketball and hockey are over, there's not much to talk about. Oh well, this will all blow over in a few days.

After Oz says something else. I love Oz but I think he needs to hire a publicist.

oeo
06-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but this whole thing has become a joke. I'm sorry, but the man has already said that wasn't his intent and apologized. Sure, he should think before he says something again, but get over it. I'm so sick of this already, when will it end?

MrRoboto83
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Ozzie keeps the focus off the players, which is good, less pressure.

RadioheadRocks
06-21-2006, 11:02 PM
... meanwhile the Sox keep on winning...

chisoxmike
06-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Sorry if I'm offending anyone, but this whole thing has become a joke. I'm sorry, but the man has already said that wasn't his intent and apologized. Sure, he should think before he says something again, but get over it. I'm so sick of this already, when will it end?

yeah, i'm sorry... this is way overblown. honestly people, like it or not, agree with it or not, juvinile if you must say... but guys call eachother that word a lot and mean nothing by it. guys say it with having no hatred toward gays at all.

people just get way too offended over everything everone else says. i laughed when i read the story this morning in the sun-times, and when i got home, i was tired of it. hopefully it blows over by monday.

russ99
06-21-2006, 11:05 PM
It must be the guys who organized this:

http://www.chicagofreepress.com/oatb/Resources/oatbfullpagead06.jpeg

I guess those guys with the t-shirts outside the park are right! (at least for one day) :D:

Seriously, Ozzie needs to make a public apology, but not to Moronotti

chisoxmike
06-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Man, we really need to win the World Series this year, that would just piss everyone off.

LuvSox
06-21-2006, 11:23 PM
It'll make good filler on the 2006 dvd's.

TDog
06-21-2006, 11:29 PM
The column left out the biggest atrocity committed by Ozzie Guillen, which can never be forgiven by most people who make a living writing and talking about baseball.

Ozzie Guillen turned the White Sox into winners. Not just contenders, mind you, but a team that has been kicking sorry butts since 2005.

He isn't out of control. He's actually a kinder and gentler, non-alcoholic Billy Martin, whose dysfunctional character was celebrated. In Martin's first managerial job beat up one of his pitchers in a bar. I was spending that summer In Minneapolis. Twins fans told me that Dave Boswell deserved it.

Did anyone notice that after the incident involving Sean Tracey, the White Sox went on a winning streak -- not just winning, but destroying opponents who have good records this year?

If the White Sox fire Ozzie Guillen, and obviously many would love that, it just might be time for Joe Torre to retire. The Yankees are supposed to be the winner, in this game, after all.

TheDarkGundam
06-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Now that he's apologized, the story is already moving off all the TOP STORY things, and it always says he apologized in the title.
The "would you want Guillen to manage your team" poll is basically tied too.
I'd say this story is finally done, at least for everyone outside of The Moron.

HotelWhiteSox
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
There is also a poll on the front page, LMAO look at those results. Looks like the world hates the Moron too. Ozzie should've been smarter with his words, but it isn't this big of a story, I'm sure they want some press thinking someone will actually watch Around the Horn now. Just put it on ESPNEWS to see the highlights, spent like 5-10 min talking about Ozzie and then didn't even show the highlights

ESPN can go screw themselves too. Last night, the whole show was devoted to the Heat with constant interviews and pieces put together, which is great, deservedly so. I remember watching the replay after the Sox won the World Series. The highlights, a Stuart Scott joke about the Robert Taylor homes, and maybe a word from Brantley or someone

HomeFish
06-21-2006, 11:45 PM
I hate saying this, but it is nice to see Wrigley Field taking part in gay pride activities. It is unfortunate for gay sox fans...and yes, there are quite a few out there.

There was a lesbian choir that sang the national anthem before a game in 2003. There were scattered boos when they were introduced.

They sang exceptionally well and at the end the entire place was on their feet cheering.

mbwhitesox
06-21-2006, 11:57 PM
What surprises me is that people still seem to expect some sort of fair, unbiased coverage of the Sox from ESPN and the local media.

When has this EVER been the case? The media in general has never supported our team, and Ozzie has to be smarter than this in the future because the media is going to rip this team every chance it gets.

Meanwhile, this whole fiasco really seems to have affected the play of the team. Seven less runs than we scored last night, we must be cracking!

Viva Medias B's
06-22-2006, 12:00 AM
For informational purposes only, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann got into the act naming Ozzie Guillen today's "Worst Person in the World."

TheDarkGundam
06-22-2006, 12:14 AM
For informational purposes only, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann got into the act naming Ozzie Guillen today's "Worst Person in the World."
Wow. Not even close.
Olbermann is a HUGE idiot.

TheOldRoman
06-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Keith Olbermann is a piece of human excrement. He is pure garbage. Always has been, always will be. Nothing he says is the least bit relevant.

JB98
06-22-2006, 01:40 AM

He's wrong. I'm a far worse person than Ozzie. Olbermann should have heard what I called Sidney Ponson when he hit Ozuna with a pitch the other night.

FWIW, the Cubune's Mike Downey is giving odds that Ozzie will be out of a job by July. Geez. If I called somebody a *** at my office, I'd be required to attend sensitivity training, but I don't think I'd lose my job. This manufactured outrage is getting old quickly. Hyperbole galore.

peeonwrigley
06-22-2006, 01:49 AM
I just caught the late edition of Sportscenter a bit ago. Opened with game highlights of the beatdown, then segued into the Ozzie/Moron stuff. I thought it presented facts and quotes pretty fairly.

The main missing component was WHY the Sox organization has such a problem with the Moron.

chisoxfanatic
06-22-2006, 02:08 AM

Why don't we get Chuck Knablauch to bean Olbermann himself with a few "errant throws!"

Chisox003
06-22-2006, 02:12 AM
FWIW, the Cubune's Mike Downey is giving odds that Ozzie will be out of a job by July. Geez.
Out of a job?!

:rolling:

Where do I sign up for this wager?

CLR01
06-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Keith Olbermann is a piece of human excrement. He is pure garbage. Always has been, always will be. Nothing he says is the least bit relevant.

The only proof you need of that is the fact that he is on MSNBC.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-22-2006, 02:23 AM

If a tree falls in the forest.....

Glad they let the person who himself says inappropriate things back on the air to face his 211,000 nightly viewers (that is right 1 out of every 1,500 Americans) after his suspension.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/426477p-359629c.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/426803p-360015c.html

chaerulez
06-22-2006, 03:01 AM
All I want to know is why everyone is making us out to be the bad guys in the bean ball wars. That is what is really pissing me off.

I don't think the Sox are perceived as the villians in this. It was Ozzie's way of handling things. He shouldn't have shown up Tracey like that in the dugout, if anything Vazquez is as much to blame for not hitting anyone. Tracey did mess up by failing to do the job, but Ozzie could've talked to him in private about it. If Ozzie doesn't blow up in the dugout, I don't think it's being talked about. What I don't like is how the media is lumping in all the other Ozzie quotes from the past that have nothing to do with this.

I agree with him 100 percent on what he said about A-Rod. A-Rod was wavering between playing for the DR and USA. It's also partly MLB's fault because they pressured him to join the USA team and didn't set an actual deadline for him to make decisions. However, A-Rod knows how important baseball is in the DR and how much attention the people were paying to his choice and my latino friends basically told me what Ozzie meant by those comments, that A-Rod isn't a true DR national if he had to think about which team to play for.

Then they bring in Ozzie's comments about Showalter. Showalter is a huge jerk. If things aren't perfect in his little world, he flips out. Ozzie is only one of the few that was willing to stand up and tell Showalter to shut up and that he can't control everything and everyone. The only thing Ozzie needs to apologize for is the comment towards gays, and he shouldn't have made that comment that grouped in homosexuals with child molesters. Other than that, the media should lay off the other stuff he said because that stuff wasn't offensive at all.

caulfield12
06-22-2006, 08:18 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay22.html

As noted earlier, the Greenstein Tribune article might be the most interesting one out there.

I think some of those in the media who don't like Mariotti are using the fact that he's imposed himself so much into the story as a reason to target him and start airing all the dirty laundry about the relationship between the Sox, SunTimes, Reinsdorf and what has gone on behind the scenes in the clubhouse (or not gone on, as Ozzie has only seen him once in 13 years).

I think he made a mistake to say that the SunTimes cut a story he was going to write during the WS. How can you write such a controversial article when your hometown team is in the WS for the first time in 46 years? That's ridiculous. And accusing your own newspaper of being too pro-Sox or in bed with Reinsdorf? That's not a great strategy to continue your professional working relationship.

Calling for a two week suspension is one thing, but I think he is going to be the one that ends up losing, as OG definitely doesn't want to let this go, and, until KW or JR put Ozzie in his place, this thing will continue to fester. You know Harrelson won't be able to keep his mouth shut, either. Did the Hawk mention anything last night? I was listening to Rooney, actually.

jenn2080
06-22-2006, 08:47 AM
[quote=HomeFish]There was a lesbian choir that sang the national anthem before a game in 2003. There were scattered boos when they were introduced.

People are morons.

TornLabrum
06-22-2006, 09:37 AM
There was a lesbian choir that sang the national anthem before a game in 2003. There were scattered boos when they were introduced.

They sang exceptionally well and at the end the entire place was on their feet cheering.

Scattered boos? What? They thought lesbians can't sing?????

Vernam
06-22-2006, 10:28 AM
I just caught the late edition of Sportscenter a bit ago. Opened with game highlights of the beatdown, then segued into the Ozzie/Moron stuff. I thought it presented facts and quotes pretty fairly.

The main missing component was WHY the Sox organization has such a problem with the Moron.And I do think that's going to become more of an issue if this story drags on: Moronotti's conduct is simply an embarrassment to journalism, and he'd best be careful about trying to claim the moral high ground. Jerry Reinsdorf is widely respected within MLB, and his supporters know full well that he has suffered years of outright character assassination from that tool at the Sun-Times. I do not excuse Ozzie's comments, and he's paying an awful price for what he said. But when that blows over, the fact remains that he and Reinsdorf are basically decent people and that other guy is an abomination. The national media are clearly united in opposition to Ozzie's use of the word ***, but the Moronic One should not kid himself that anyone is ready to defend his honor.

Vernam

miker
06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
But when that blows over, the fact remains that he and Reinsdorf are basically decent people and that other guy is an abomination. The national media are clearly united in opposition to Ozzie's use of the word ***, but the Moronic One should not kid himself that anyone is ready to defend his honor.
Never underestimate the media's ability to stick up for (or is it suck up to?) each other. After all, they are the unbiased source of truth and justice...just ask one of them!

caulfield12
06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlrKAizV81xbPMAP45C0CQ05nYcB?slug=jp-gay062206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

rookie
06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
I agree with him 100 percent on what he said about A-Rod. A-Rod was wavering between playing for the DR and USA. It's also partly MLB's fault because they pressured him to join the USA team and didn't set an actual deadline for him to make decisions. However, A-Rod knows how important baseball is in the DR and how much attention the people were paying to his choice and my latino friends basically told me what Ozzie meant by those comments, that A-Rod isn't a true DR national if he had to think about which team to play for.

I personally think Ozzie's problem is more of cultural differences than anything. I might be generalizing here, but my latino friends don't get easily offended, by words that is. Actions yes, words no. I once was hearing one of my friends talk to someone on the phone, and I was suprised that she was talking to one of her best friends. The things they say to each other. It's fun now that I know, and has helped me not to take things so seriously.

It's hard enough for someone who is from a different culture, but who has grown up here, to follow all of the majority's cultural norms. I am imagine it's even harder for someone who wasn't born here, no matter how long they lived here. Ozzie made a mistake (which he admitted) and this isn't an excuse, but a reasoning behind it.

skottyj242
06-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Waste of time if you ask me.

SouthsideFathead
06-22-2006, 12:07 PM
that doesn't know squat about our team and manager...

Ozzie a coward? Hardly...Try saying that to his face

LINKY (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ao9Q91RrK.INf2PnnKAntmIRvLYF?slug=jp-gay062206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

skottyj242
06-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Check What's the Score.

SouthsideFathead
06-22-2006, 12:10 PM
damn...knew it had to be somewhere...

SouthsideFathead
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
just another writer that doesn't know the White Sox and their fans...

i dare him to call Ozzie a coward to his face.

Mickster
06-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Very interesting Yahoo Sports article
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AlrKAizV81xbPMAP45C0CQ05nYcB?slug=jp-gay062206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Are you getting off posting all of the Ozzie-bashing articles? Is it because you "called it"?

Palehose13
06-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Waste of time if you ask me.

I think it is an excellent article. I think most people should read it and see that, for the most part, the gay community is not up in arms and enraged...but still not happy about the comment.

This is an excellent part of the article:

Because I don't know, and I don't think the majority of the public knows, either. To truly know what a word means is to have experienced it. It means to have felt the intensity of hate and the chill of fear that accompanies every vile epithet. It means someone saying the word *** with a purpose, and make no mistake, however benign Guillen's was, there was a purpose.

For those of you that think this is no big deal, please think about the part I bolded.

samram
06-22-2006, 12:14 PM
just another writer that doesn't know the White Sox and their fans...

i dare him to call Ozzie a coward to his face.
It seems as if he watched the game with White Sox fans- he certainly knows those Sox fans and got a lot of their thoughts on the issue. I'm not sure what's wrong with the article.

SouthsideFathead
06-22-2006, 12:19 PM
It seems as if he watched the game with White Sox fans- he certainly knows those Sox fans and got a lot of their thoughts on the issue. I'm not sure what's wrong with the article.

did you read the last sentence?

Ozzie Guillen is the face of the White Sox. And he's not a ***. Just a coward.

Palehose13
06-22-2006, 12:21 PM
did you read the last sentence?

Other than the last sentence, I think it is a great article and should not be discredited because of it.

06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Man, let's just end this, no more posts on this, lets just get back to talking baseball and sweeping the Cards, catching the Tigers, hell I'll even talk about getting Ken Griffey Jr. again!

peeonwrigley
06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Other than the last sentence, I think it is a great article and should not be discredited because of it.

Its a good article, last sentence notwithstanding. Although, I do think the last sentence says a lot about the agenda the writer had going into the story. That, or he was not confident that his work was critical enough of Ozzie.

PatK
06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
So it's okay for the author to use it?

Palehose13
06-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Man, let's just end this, no more posts on this, lets just get back to talking baseball and sweeping the Cards, catching the Tigers, hell I'll even talk about getting Ken Griffey Jr. again!

I'm sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I feel that it is an important issue. You aren't mandated to take part in the discussion or read the articles.

Palehose13
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
So it's okay for the author to use it?

Use what? "***"? Are you serious about this question?

Chicken Dinner
06-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Here we go again.

samram
06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Its a good article, last sentence notwithstanding. Although, I do think the last sentence says a lot about the agenda the writer had going into the story. That, or he was not confident that his work was critical enough of Ozzie.

Well, I think another thing to take from this episode is it's just not worth going to war with the media, or members thereof. Even if it's a guy who's as big an ******* as Mariotti, they'll still defend him. Notice that no one has actually investigated these threats against him or asked him who made the threats (he's used the plural, I believe). I think Ozzie would be well-advised to just ignore that guy.

06-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm sorry if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I feel that it is an important issue. You aren't mandated to take part in the discussion or read the articles.

This doesn't make me feel uncomfortable at all, and I can see from your other posts that this really hit close to home with you, and thats fine, I'm just sick of it, we didn't beat the dead the horse, we slaughterted it, lets move on to other matters. Just my 2 cents.

Baby Fisk
06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Calling Ozzie a coward was pointless, but the rest of the article is fine. There are (gasp!) actual White Sox fans who are actually gay and are more disappointed that, of all the available zingers in the English language, Ozzie had to use the word "***".

First and foremost, he should have **** and ignored Mariotti. But if Ozzie can't resist, then he needs one of these:

http://www.whatihaveread.net/i/1040.jpg

Lip Man 1
06-22-2006, 01:02 PM
The entire situation in my opinion is a mountain out of a molehill.

And Miker I have heard from some media folks today who have applauded completely Greenstein's column and the way he wrote it.

The reality is that most of the Chicago media hate Mariott's guts as much as the fans do. Remember Mariotti has attacked and ripped his 'colleagues' in print and on the air over their beliefs.

Like I said his is an ego that's completely out of control.

Lip

shes
06-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Ok, this one got me a bit angry. Kreidler writes that last year in New York, Ozzie was "equating homosexuals with child molesters." For anyone who doesn't know or remember the exact comment Ozzie made and in what context, this reads as "Ozzie said all gay people are child molesters," which is a blatant lie. Kreidler knows exactly what he's doing by putting that kind of spin on Ozzie's comments and, in my opinion, loses all journalistic integrity for doing so. If you have to stoop to that level to make a point, you need to find another job.

Hitmen77
06-22-2006, 02:33 PM
This Tribune web blog has some pretty good responses from readers on the Mariotti/Duncan issues:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnistswischlist/2006/06/cardinals_coach.html

I think most of the responses are right on. Essentially they say that Ozzie was wrong to use the word and should tone down his rhetoric, but most still admire Ozzie while ackwowledging his poor judgment. Only a very few "I hate Ozzie" responses.

Most interesting to me is that most of the Cub fans posting here say they would take "Ozzie the liar" or "Ozzie the jerk" on the North Side anyday over Dusty the Pushover.

VA_GoGoSox
06-23-2006, 01:46 AM
Ozzie keeps the focus off the players, which is good, less pressure.

You really start to wonder if he does these things on purpose.

caulfield12
06-23-2006, 03:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/john_donovan/06/23/inside.baseball/index.html

One of the best, almost pro-Ozzie articles out there...good for John Donovan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=2496971

rookie
06-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Chicago Tribune Live today seemed to have Ozzie's back. Especially since Bernie Mack was on. It was pretty funny since Bernie Mack has about as much tact as Ozzie. They seemed to all agree with Rogers that you need to visit the clubhouse.