PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal Fans

ws05champs
06-21-2006, 01:08 PM
I was in the UD at last night's game and was surprised by all the fans wearing red. I heard so much about how great the Cardinal fans are that I was interested to see how they would compare to the fans of other visiting teams. There was some enthusiastic cheering when the Cardinals took the lead, but after that (for obvious reasons) I did not hear much from them - until the 9th inning.

They were going absolutely wild as the Cards scored their 4 pathetic runs. I turned to the Sox fan next to me and made some comment about a "Bronx cheer" and he said that those were real cheers, not Bronx cheers.

If the Sox had gone through such a butt kicking I would have been trying to dig a hole in the concrete and I'm sure many of my fellow Sox fans would be trying to boo the team off the field. But these Cardinal fans were still cheering their team on! No wonder Cubs fans hate the Cards. It must drive them nuts to have to listen to this - not that they don't deserve it. I can't imagine how bad Cards fans are if their team is winning.

Are Cards fans just plain nuts, were they probably drunk from 9 innings of the Sox did to them or is this the way "good fans" should be?:?:

jenn2080
06-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Maybe they just back their team no matter what .....win or lose....

FielderJones
06-21-2006, 01:11 PM
There was a Card fan in front of me, who felt the need to turn to me and call Rolen the best third baseman in baseball after making a semi-routine play in the bottom of the second. I told him I'd take Crede anyway. In the bottom of the third, after Joe doubled and homered in the same inning, I laughed at him and said we have a pretty good third baseman here too.

jenn2080
06-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe they just back their team no matter what .....win or lose....

good for them that they can do it. that is basically how it should be. sometimes you have those bull **** games where you look like you never played a day past AA but I guess you should still support them.

HomeFish
06-21-2006, 01:13 PM
My personal experience with Cardinal fans in St. Louis is that they either sit in complete silence or cheer. I call them Stepford Wives for a reason.

Jerko
06-21-2006, 01:15 PM
The ones in my section were ok, but what could they do after sitting through such a spanking? I'm sure if they get a lead tonight or tomorrow we'll have a little better view of the Cardinal fan.

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 02:53 PM
The three ladies in front of me actually applauded the Sox a couple of times, cheered when their guys did something good, and left after the 7th.

DSpivack
06-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, I certainly cheered a week or so ago when the Sox were scoring runs in 9th down 10-2.

skobabe8
06-21-2006, 07:27 PM
There was a Card fan in front of me, who felt the need to turn to me and call Rolen the best third baseman in baseball after making a semi-routine play in the bottom of the second. I told him I'd take Crede anyway. In the bottom of the third, after Joe doubled and homered in the same inning, I laughed at him and said we have a pretty good third baseman here too.

I know exactly what play you are talking about because as soon as Rolen picked the ball out of the dirt the Cardinal fans around us collectively went "OOOOOHHHHH" as if he was Hot Sauce on the And1 mix tape. I turned to Converted and said "I hope Joe has a spectacular night tonight." He did.

soxjim
06-21-2006, 09:34 PM
We sat next to 2 Cardinal fans. These 2 fans were very knowledgeable about the game. when we were leaving this particular couple said they liked the cell and SOX fans better than wrigley and their so called fans.

chisoxmike
06-21-2006, 09:40 PM
I thought the Cardinals fans were very strange.

They just sit there. Don't talk, don't cheer, and don't like it when you are yelling. When our guys got hit by Ponson they were giving people in my section looks when people were shouting clean abuse at him. Also, when Mulder was taken out they didn't even seem upset. I would GUARANTEE if a Sox pitcher got shelled like you would hear some boos and some abuse!

And when the Cardinals scored the BS runs in the 9th, they were standing up cheering with rally hats on.

Very strange group of people.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-21-2006, 10:03 PM
I thought the Cardinals fans were very strange.

They just sit there. Don't talk, don't cheer, and don't like it when you are yelling. When our guys got hit by Ponson they were giving people in my section looks when people were shouting clean abuse at him. Also, when Mulder was taken out they didn't even seem upset. I would GUARANTEE if a Sox pitcher got shelled like you would hear some boos and some abuse!

And when the Cardinals scored the BS runs in the 9th, they were standing up cheering with rally hats on.

Very strange group of people.

They are Southern and polite (in general). We are Politte. :redneck

I like going down to St. Louis for ballgames. I've been to 26 ballparks and their fans are one of the few who I consider knowledgeable, polite and people I'd like to go to the bar with afterwards to discuss baseball or something else.

RadioheadRocks
06-21-2006, 10:12 PM
My personal experience with Cardinal fans in St. Louis is that they either sit in complete silence or cheer. I call them Stepford Wives for a reason.

"I'll just DIE if I don't get this recipe! I'll just DIE if I don't get this recipe! I'll just DIE if I don't get this recipe! I'll just DIE if..." :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Mendoza Line
06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
My guess is, if you paid money to see a game and drove from St. Louis, you're looking for some redeeming quality in the embarassing performance from the Cardinals. It really sucks to spend a lot of money and see your team get destroyed, so Cards fans were just enjoying signs of life.

MrRoboto83
06-21-2006, 11:07 PM
There were 2 Cardinal fans sitting behind me tonight and they were very loud, annoying and drunk. One of them kept yelling Sox Suck, etc. etc. He was not paying any attention to the game, almost reminded me of a Cub fan. I know this is not like all the other Cardinal fans.

chisoxfanatic
06-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Odd tidbit: I saw a guy wearing a Cubs jacket and Cardinals hat. Very strange!

I'd say the Cardinals fans were very well-mannered...to the point that you'd think you were at a funeral if it were a St. Louis home game where very few "visiting" fans are at the game. It was a very quaint feeling to say the least!

But, at least they were congratulatory and were NOT rude, from what I experienced. We'll see if it's more of the same tomorrow.

chisoxmike
06-21-2006, 11:34 PM
No, they wern't rude at all. Some actually stuck up conversations with other sox fans about the sox. they wanted to know more about them.

i did see the guy with the cubs hat and cardinals shirt... actually a few people i saw with that.:?:

SouthSide_HitMen
06-22-2006, 12:38 AM

That would be a Cubs fan - the same idiots who came last year with Twins or Red Cubs or Mariners hats (whoever we were playing). The same idiots who bought Astros hats - their rival - in October of 2005.

No self respecting Cardinal fan would wear a Cubs hat. They hate the Cubs more than rational White Sox fans (and have more reason to as they are an actual NL rival).

HomeFish
06-22-2006, 12:46 AM
I saw quite a few people with split Cards/Sox gear.

swanson24
06-22-2006, 12:52 AM
I was at Wednesday's game sitting in section 113 and saw at least twenty five cardinals fans in the section. They cheered on their team the whole game regardless of the score. They seemed very classy and appreciative of their fans. I only saw two Cardinals fans who unfortunately for me were sitting nearby acting like clowns. They were yelling at some Sox fans during the first two innings as the Sox offense exploded by saying, "At this time last year you guys were all cheering for the Cubs." I didn't feel the need to say anything back becasue the butt kicking the Redbirds took Tuesday and Wednesday was painful enough for him. This made me laugh a little bit because it was such a jaded bitter fan comment. But other than these two clowns the rest of the Cardinals fans were supportive and polite.

StillMissOzzie
06-22-2006, 01:47 AM

i did see the guy with the cubs hat and cardinals shirt... actually a few people i saw with that.

Sounds to me like two different people!
1) Cubs jacket/Cards hat
2) Cubs hat/Cards shirt

However, both appear to me to be moron Cub fans infiltrating USCF just to cheer AGAINST the Sox. Too bad BOTH are going home unhappy.

SMO
:gulp:

Frankly Missing
06-22-2006, 05:40 AM
St Louis absolutely loves their Cards, and absolutely hates the Cubs.

I get no flack from fans here, they love anyone who dislikes the Cubs.

The hallways in the hospital where I work are plastered with homemade posters. It looks like a high school before the big homecoming game.

I hope we can finish this series with no more plunkings or anything else that might foster bad blood between the teams.

Thome25
06-22-2006, 06:54 AM
Maybe they were silent because they were in the opposing team's ballpark and they didn't want to get too obnoxious and stir up the natives?

I mean if I were a Cardinals fan (Thank God I'm NOT!!) I'd worry about possibly getting peanuts thrown at me and beer dumped on my head and that doesn't sound like fun.

Personally I think sitting in silence is the safer bet.

Besides, They were probably silent too because the Cards were getting their rear ends handed to them.

davenicholson
06-22-2006, 07:24 AM
...collectively went "OOOOOHHHHH" as if he was Hot Sauce on the And1 mix tape.
:?:

Maximo
06-22-2006, 07:54 AM
My best friend, whom I've known since college days, is a St.Louis resident and has been a huge Cardinal fan all of his life. I've had the opportunity to attend several Cardinal games over the years when we've visited his family down there.

I've come away with a healthy respect for Cardinal fans and have appreciated their mutual respect for Sox fans.

Got an e-mail from him this morning following the first two games. It was one word....."uncle".

Save McCuddy's
06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
I would vouch for Cards fans as well. Outside of considering the red Sunday jersey as a formal wear option, they are a fairly sane group.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-22-2006, 08:17 AM
I was in the UP Tuesday, and I was very surprised by the Card fans. I was shocked at how "cub-like" they were. Their team was down 18 runs and they started cheering in the 9th like they actually thought they could win. So overall a pretty clueless group. No wonder they like going to Wrigley so much, they really do fit right in with that mentality.

salty99
06-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Sounds to me like two different people!
1) Cubs jacket/Cards hat
2) Cubs hat/Cards shirt

However, both appear to me to be moron Cub fans infiltrating USCF just to cheer AGAINST the Sox. Too bad BOTH are going home unhappy.

SMO
:gulp:

What's even stranger was the guy in the row below me wearing a red White Sox hat and a red and white striped Cleveland Indians polo shirt.

LongLiveFisk
06-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Cards fans are like anyone else's fans: from the totally normal to the totally dopey. Some of you ran into the normal, some ran into the dopey, and most of you ran into everything in-between. :)

LauraJ14
06-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Maybe they were silent because they were in the opposing team's ballpark and they didn't want to get too obnoxious and stir up the natives?

I mean if I were a Cardinals fan (Thank God I'm NOT!!) I'd worry about possibly getting peanuts thrown at me and beer dumped on my head and that doesn't sound like fun.

Personally I think sitting in silence is the safer bet.

Besides, They were probably silent too because the Cards were getting their rear ends handed to them.

So is that what Sox fans do when opposing fans come to our park, throw peanuts and beer at them, swear and tell them their team stinks?
I was at the game last night and was appalled at some of the drunken White Sox fans who were yelling at Cardinals fans who did nothing but come to the game in a red jersey. I felt like I was at Wrigley.
I was just in Cincy and have been to Boston and St Louis to see the Sox play and I was treated just fine and actually had fun talking baseball with their fans.

TornLabrum
06-22-2006, 09:18 AM
There were 2 Cardinal fans sitting behind me tonight and they were very loud, annoying and drunk. One of them kept yelling Sox Suck, etc. etc. He was not paying any attention to the game, almost reminded me of a Cub fan. I know this is not like all the other Cardinal fans.

Knowing some of the "Cubs fans" I've seen in Red Sox or Twins attire, he probably was one.

itsnotrequired
06-22-2006, 09:57 AM
I was in the UP Tuesday, and I was very surprised by the Card fans. I was shocked at how "cub-like" they were. Their team was down 18 runs and they started cheering in the 9th like they actually thought they could win. So overall a pretty clueless group. No wonder they like going to Wrigley so much, they really do fit right in with that mentality.

A fan shouldn't cheer when their team is scoring runs?

:dunno:

I know I was cheering like mad when the Sox came charging back against the Indians in the 9th. True, the deficit wasn't as large but I sure as hell wasn't about to sit on my hands.

Lyle Mouton
06-22-2006, 10:03 AM
the Cardinal fans around us collectively went "OOOOOHHHHH" as if he was Hot Sauce on the And1 mix tape.

hahahah, i chuckled

TornLabrum
06-22-2006, 10:15 AM
That would be a Cubs fan - the same idiots who came last year with Twins or Red Cubs or Mariners hats (whoever we were playing). The same idiots who bought Astros hats - their rival - in October of 2005.

No self respecting Cardinal fan would wear a Cubs hat. They hate the Cubs more than rational White Sox fans (and have more reason to as they are an actual NL rival).

And conversely many moronic Cubs fans would wear Cardinals caps. But they don't care about the Sox, you know. We're the ones who are obsessed.

mcfish
06-22-2006, 01:13 PM
I was in the UP Tuesday, and I was very surprised by the Card fans. I was shocked at how "cub-like" they were. Their team was down 18 runs and they started cheering in the 9th like they actually thought they could win. So overall a pretty clueless group. No wonder they like going to Wrigley so much, they really do fit right in with that mentality.You think they're clueless for cheering for their team? How's that again? So the Sox are losing and you just stop cheering for them altogether? Seems to me like the clueless ones are not the Cardinal fans, but anyone who would stop cheering for their favorite team just because they are having a bad game.

SOecks
06-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Cards fan are different than Sox fans IMO, but they are definately some of the best fans in baseball bar none. It's so strange going down there and seeing what seems like 80% of the people wearing some sort of Cards gear at any given time. Pretty cool actually. I can't say a bad word about them.

BadgerChisox
06-23-2006, 12:02 AM
I had one jurk stand up the whole game. In front of an old lady, very Ignorant, classless, and thought nothing of it. But, There were also nice card fans, most actually. Enjoyable game, Especially since we won