PDA

View Full Version : ISO: Timo Perez and Geoff Blum game-used bats

BainesHOF
06-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm looking to complete my bat collection of the 2005 team. If anyone has either a Perez or Blum game-used Sox bat they'd be interested in selling or trading, please contact me at salukidave@comcast.net. Thanks, Dave.

slobes
06-21-2006, 12:45 PM
This is a cool collection, do you have every other position player?

salty99
06-21-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm going to have to see pictures of this sometime.

BainesHOF
06-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Yes, I do have the other position players, as well as a lot of stuff from past years. When I get my collection totally displayed I'd be happy to let anyone interested check it out in person. I'm aiming to have everything done by playoff time, but that might be too optimistic. We'll see.

salty99
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Where do you get all your stuff from?

BainesHOF
06-21-2006, 03:02 PM
The team's Garage/Yard Sales, eBay, memorabilia dealers, auctions and such. Vance Law once even gave me one of his bats. I have the starting lineups from the 1983, 1993, 2000 and now 2005 teams.

A quick story: I attended the team's first Garage Sale which was held after the 1983 season. Back then, the Garage Sale was a way for the team to get rid of leftover pennants, shirts and other souvenirs from the "Winning Ugly" season. It was held right in the Sox clubhouse. They had about a half dozen new Miguel Dilone bats in a corner they were selling for $20 apiece. The team had acquired him after Sept. 1 and I guess it figured he wasn't coming back. In any case, I saw the bats and asked a worker behind a table if there were any other bats for sale. He said, "Hold on, I think I saw some in back." He came out with bats of Fisk, Baines and Kittle. I bought 'em right away with the Fisk going for only $10 because it was cracked. A small crowd quickly gathered around me and some people were lucky enough to buy a few bats of other players like Law, Paciorek, etc. That was the start of my bat collection.

Brian26
06-21-2006, 09:28 PM
The team's Garage/Yard Sales, eBay, memorabilia dealers, auctions and such. Vance Law once even gave me one of his bats. I have the starting lineups from the 1983, 1993, 2000 and now 2005 teams.

A quick story: I attended the team's first Garage Sale which was held after the 1983 season. Back then, the Garage Sale was a way for the team to get rid of leftover pennants, shirts and other souvenirs from the "Winning Ugly" season. It was held right in the Sox clubhouse. They had about a half dozen new Miguel Dilone bats in a corner they were selling for $20 apiece. The team had acquired him after Sept. 1 and I guess it figured he wasn't coming back. In any case, I saw the bats and asked a worker behind a table if there were any other bats for sale. He said, "Hold on, I think I saw some in back." He came out with bats of Fisk, Baines and Kittle. I bought 'em right away with the Fisk going for only $10 because it was cracked. A small crowd quickly gathered around me and some people were lucky enough to buy a few bats of other players like Law, Paciorek, etc. That was the start of my bat collection.

That story is just outstanding. I actually remember Dilone with the Sox that year too. I think they only kept him for about two weeks. Can't wait to see that collection. How many are signed?

BainesHOF
06-22-2006, 12:21 AM
Most of the bats are signed.

To you collectors out there, on my way out of Wednesday's game I ran into a couple who won a Dye jersey. It didn't look to be game-used as it had a Set 6 tag. This year the Sox are not advertising the giveaway jerseys as a "shirt of their backs" thing as they used to do and they have never said they are game-used this year. I know some people here have said they're game-used, but I tend to think otherwise after looking at the Dye tag today. Does anyone know for sure?

Collectors know a game-used jersey is much more valuable. For instance; an autographed game-issued jersey of Dye is worth around $200. A game-used Dye jersey would be worth around $800.

If the Sox are not giving away game-used jerseys, then at least a couple hundred game-used jerseys are disappearing into the hands of those with connections within the organization because virtually no game-used jerseys have been available at the Garage/Yard Sales in the past year. I say hundreds because each player on the 25-man roster probably wears two sets of the four different jerseys (home white, road grey, home white sleeveless and black).

I'm still looking for a Sox game-used bat of Timo Perez and Geoff Blum in case anyone out there is willing to part with one. I can buy or possibly trade.