PDA

View Full Version : What Would It Take For Jones

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Andru Jones has been on Kennys radar for a long time and we know Kenny must be thinking about Jones again as the Braves need to retool for the future. With some good young arms and a young Josh Fields that could take over for a aging Chipper do you think the Sox swing a trade for Adruew Jones?
OMG what a lineup:
Pods(Ozuna)
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Andruew
AJ
Crede
Uribe

Thome25
06-21-2006, 09:05 AM
I'd love to see Andruw Jones in a white sox uniform playing CF for us. If it isn't too expensive. I think BA, Josh Fields and a minor league pitcher gets us Jones.

Would I do it? yes Would KW do it? I hope so.

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 09:10 AM
I'd love to see Andruw Jones in a white sox uniform playing CF for us. If it isn't too expensive. I think BA, Josh Fields and a minor league pitcher gets us Jones.

Would I do it? yes Would KW do it? I hope so.

I would like to see us keep BA and give them Mack instead.

oeo
06-21-2006, 09:13 AM
We have a centerfielder and unless Kenny gets some offer that he can't pass up, Anderson is the guy.

Whitesox4ever
06-21-2006, 09:16 AM
Im thinking Atl would want B Mac and Anderson for Jones...

I would love to see Jones in a Sox uniform

Flight #24
06-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Jones makes $13M in '06 and $13.5 in '07. So he'd be leaving at the time that you'd be re-upping Buehrle/Garcia. You could also view him as a pseudo-replacement for Dye in '07 (i.e. instead of re-upping Dye at $6M, you have Jones at $13.5 and plug in Anderson/Fields in RF). Or you just figure that a short-term payroll bump is OK given the way they're following up on the title and the propects of another one.

Just a thought. IMO you wait a bit longer since Anderson seems to be coming out of his funk and at this point he's a better defender than Andruw. But it's almost certainly on KW's radar.

samram
06-21-2006, 09:38 AM

Uh, yeah, me too.:rolleyes:

kittle42
06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Andru Jones has been on Kennys radar for a long time and we know Kenny must be thinking about Jones again as the Braves need to retool for the future. With some good young arms and a young Josh Fields that could take over for a aging Chipper do you think the Sox swing a trade for Adruew Jones?

Try again.

kittle42
06-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Are you at all familiar with baseball? :cool:

southside rocks
06-21-2006, 09:41 AM
OMG what a lineup:
Pods(Ozuna)
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Andruew
AJ
Crede
Uribe

Replace Anderson with Jones? Um, dumb move for the future of the club ... and Jones has been called out more than once for dogging it on the field, I believe. Ozzie doesn't go for that. :mad:

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I would like to see us keep BA and give them Mack instead.Seems kind of steep. Maybe the Braves can throw in a prospect or two.:rolleyes:

caulfield12
06-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Okay, Jones is better than Anderson defensively. It's that simple.

Schuerholz will want McCarthy. KW would want to give him Lumsden or Broadway instead, to go with Fields and another prospect.

I am not sure that Schuerholz is certain that BA would play CF for the Braves for the next 5-7 years, any more than we are.

A better bet would be to take McCarthy and Fields, which is probably too high a price to pay, considering Jones' salary.

OTOH hand, even though he seems like he should be in his mid 30's, he's still a relatively young player because he came to the bigs at 19 or 20.

Flight #24
06-21-2006, 10:15 AM

Schuerholz will want McCarthy. KW would want to give him Lumsden or Broadway instead, to go with Fields and another prospect.

I am not sure that Schuerholz is certain that BA would play CF for the Braves for the next 5-7 years, any more than we are.

A better bet would be to take McCarthy and Fields, which is probably too high a price to pay, considering Jones' salary.

OTOH hand, even though he seems like he should be in his mid 30's, he's still a relatively young player because he came to the bigs at 19 or 20.

Jones has been a better defender, but so far this year, Anderson is the cream of the crop. That's based on watching games, and even on stathead commentary form guys like BP. Andruw's like Toriiiiiii, living off of his reputation to some extent. He's a very good defender, but he's not what he used to be or what Anderson is.

That said, he's a pretty superior offensive player and a very good defender. So he's better as a player. If Anderson can bat .250 from here on out, I'd probably say keep the prospects and the $$$ and forget it. But on balance, if BA's muddling around .200, it becomes much more of a tough decision, and one where I'd lean towards making the move that gets you significantly closer to a title this year & next. What drives that? 4 words: two thousand and 6.

Jjav829
06-21-2006, 11:17 AM
Replace Anderson with Jones? Um, dumb move for the future of the club ... and Jones has been called out more than once for dogging it on the field, I believe. Ozzie doesn't go for that. :mad:

Andruw was removed from the game once by Bobby Cox early on in his career for "dogging it on the field." Since then he has always busted his ass.

If the Braves are willing to trade Andruw, I'd be all for Kenny going after him. Andruw is still the best defensive centerfielder in the game IMO.

Jjav829
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM

Maybe we can throw in Pablo just to make it a little more even for the Braves. :?:

RKMeibalane
06-21-2006, 11:18 AM
OMG what a lineup:
Pods(Ozuna)
Gooch
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Andruew
AJ
Crede
Uribe

Who are Andru and Areuew Jones? :cool:

I want Mags back
06-21-2006, 11:50 AM
wow, how awesome would that be

Lip Man 1
06-21-2006, 12:34 PM
Here's a better idea. ESPN.com is reporting that John Smoltz has told the Braves that he'll agree to a trade if it will help the organization in the long run by bringing in talent.

If you want to dramatically improve the Sox get Smoltz and put him back in the bullpen. He can close or be a 'lights-out' 8th inning bridge to Jenks.

Lip

peeonwrigley
06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Here's a better idea. ESPN.com is reporting that John Smoltz has told the Braves that he'll agree to a trade if it will help the organization in the long run by bringing in talent.

If you want to dramatically improve the Sox get Smoltz and put him back in the bullpen. He can close or be a 'lights-out' 8th inning bridge to Jenks.

Lip

So putting it all together we've got Andruw and Smoltz coming in, and all we have to give up is Mackowiak, Broadway, and Fields? Sign me up.

Flight #24
06-21-2006, 12:40 PM

Lip

I doubt he'd want to be middle relief, more likely he bumps someone else there short term or bumps Jenks there.

But a huge advantage would be that Detroit doesn't get him. He's a MI native IIRC, and I think they'll be looking to bolster their rotation as Verlander approaches 150+IP, Rogers fades, and Maroth continues to be a ?.

chaerulez
06-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Lip

Somehow I doubt KW will want to pay 10 million a year to a set up man (unless his contract ends after this season).

caulfield12
06-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Here's the deal I would make...

Smoltz doesn't want to go to the bullpen again.

I would trade Garland and another prospect (not Fields, Sweeney or McCarthy) for Smoltz, knowing that we would pick up the option on Smoltz and have him through the 2007 season.

This gives the White Sox the best chance to win three World Series in a row.

All the JG fans will come out the woodwork and say it's insane to trade a signed, younger pitcher (much younger, only 26) for a veteran on his final legs.

But Smoltz still has his fastball and is all the all-time leader in post-season wins.

I don't think Schuerholz would touch Garcia, but he might be interested in Jon.

And it would be revenue neutral, pretty much.

You lose out on one extra year of Garland in 2008, but that's fine if we can trade it for Smoltz for two years. I have a feeling Garland will leave the next time the opportunity comes along, and he will still only be 29 or 30.

bluestar
06-21-2006, 02:34 PM
There is no way Smoltz would approve a trade to a team if he had any inkling they planned to put him in the bullpen.

I saw the interview on ESPN with Smoltz, and he specifically mentioned Detroit as a destination he would entertain (yes, Smoltz grew up in Detroit and was a lifelong Tigers fan). As a matter of fact, it was the only team he mentioned.

I don't know that Detroit will be looking for pitching help. I definitely do not think they are going to trade away much young talent. Rogers may not falter as the season goes on. Verlander may pitch well at 200+ innings. Maroth's injury has been a non-factor so far, as the callup that replaced him has a sub-3 ERA and is 3 - 0. Any team willing to trade a Smoltz or Bonds (another rumor ESPN has been circulating) is likely to ask for Zumaya or Rodney or maybe Miner in return. I think the Tigers would be foolish to trade their future to win this year. They are set up now to compete in this division for the next several years.

soxfan13
06-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Andruw was removed from the game once by Bobby Cox early on in his career for "dogging it on the field." Since then he has always busted his ass.

If the Braves are willing to trade Andruw, I'd be all for Kenny going after him. Andruw is still the best defensive centerfielder in the game IMO.

Was actually pulled from a game earlier this year, also for dogging it in the field

sullythered
06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Here's the deal I would make...

Smoltz doesn't want to go to the bullpen again.

I would trade Garland and another prospect (not Fields, Sweeney or McCarthy) for Smoltz, knowing that we would pick up the option on Smoltz and have him through the 2007 season.

This gives the White Sox the best chance to win three World Series in a row.

All the JG fans will come out the woodwork and say it's insane to trade a signed, younger pitcher (much younger, only 26) for a veteran on his final legs.

But Smoltz still has his fastball and is all the all-time leader in post-season wins.

I don't think Schuerholz would touch Garcia, but he might be interested in Jon.

And it would be revenue neutral, pretty much.

You lose out on one extra year of Garland in 2008, but that's fine if we can trade it for Smoltz for two years. I have a feeling Garland will leave the next time the opportunity comes along, and he will still only be 29 or 30.
JON GARLAND=NO TRADE CLAUSE!!!!!!!!

bennyw41
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Was actually pulled from a game earlier this year, also for dogging it in the field

Perhaps a change of scenery an dmanager will make him work harder.

QCIASOXFAN
06-21-2006, 03:36 PM
I think we would have to give up way to much for Jones or Crawford.

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
JON GARLAND=NO TRADE CLAUSE!!!!!!!!No!!! Where did you hear that????

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-21-2006, 04:30 PM
When I read this title, i was :o: because I thought you meant Jaque Jones :o::o:

Domeshot17
06-21-2006, 04:37 PM
If Andruw Jones was really on Kdubs Radar, he would have traded magglio for him few years ago when the braves offered it. He doesnt want Andruw. As Good as he is, he just isnt out kind of player. Neither is Manny. He is an amazing talent, but just not a guy KW wants.

As for Smoltz, Garland has a ntc. Unless you plan on moving Garland to the pen, or hold a gun to his head, why would he agree to go play for a team in turmoil?. Will Smoltz end up in the AL Central, yes. Will it be with us? NO. My Guess, he goes to the tigers for Rodney and Todd Jones or Nate Robertson, and Zumaya takes over closing.

caulfield12
06-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I forgot Garland couldn't be traded this season...or is it Contreras this season? Both, but one of them has a no trade clause beyond 2006, which I am assuming is Garland....or maybe restricted to a list of teams.

I would still look at Garland for Smoltz in the offseason.

Why would the Braves want Todd Jones? That would be the dumbest move in the history of baseball.

They would want Miner and Rodney, minimum.

samram
06-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I still say offer Mackowiak and maybe, just maybe, Fields for Andruw Jones.

TaylorStSox
06-21-2006, 06:45 PM
If Andruw Jones was really on Kdubs Radar, he would have traded magglio for him few years ago when the braves offered it. He doesnt want Andruw. As Good as he is, he just isnt out kind of player. Neither is Manny. He is an amazing talent, but just not a guy KW wants.

As for Smoltz, Garland has a ntc. Unless you plan on moving Garland to the pen, or hold a gun to his head, why would he agree to go play for a team in turmoil?. Will Smoltz end up in the AL Central, yes. Will it be with us? NO. My Guess, he goes to the tigers for Rodney and Todd Jones or Nate Robertson, and Zumaya takes over closing.

How do you know that KW turned that deal down? I remember that rumor and it turned out to be unfounded. KW would have been a fool to turn that deal down and he knows it.

Brian26
06-21-2006, 08:31 PM

Jones is awfully banged up, and the ESPN guys on Sunday night were talking about his future in the outfield. I'd say Jones from five years ago was better than Anderson is now defensively. Matching them up now, I'd give the edge to Anderson.

Sox-o-matic
06-24-2006, 02:08 AM

Lip

Hasn't Smoltz said the exact same thing for the last two years? It sounds to me like he's sick of going nowhere in the playoffs.

That said, I don't see how the Braves can ask and actually receive as much as some in this thread are saying. Smoltz, if traded to the AL, will get killed. A team like the Tigers would IMO be taking a giant step backwards if they were to deal Verlander/Zumaya or Granderson for a guy nearing the end of his career, so I really hope the Tigers do it.

Fuller_Schettman
06-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Any trade for used up Braves is just plain stupid. Especially if it involves moving one of our studs.

We have the CF for the next dozen years. His name is Brian Anderson.

Tragg
06-24-2006, 07:27 AM

Deal from strength, not weakness. That's what made the Thome trade so nice....dealing from strength and a good deal for both teams.

Do we want to be contenders for a while, or two year wonders? Giving up on hitters after 3 months, who have hit at every previously level, is a roadmap back down to mediocrity, aka cubdom.
We probably have the best team in baseball right now.
Jones has been used hard, played through injuries, etc. He's a fine player, but trading out best infield prospect and our best (only, really) young pitcher is not a good idea.
We need find tuning, not blockbusters.

The Braves want a bunch of young players for him. Let it NOT be us.

Tragg
06-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Any trade for used up Braves is just plain stupid. Especially if it involves moving one of our studs.

We have the CF for the next dozen years. His name is Brian Anderson.
Exactly. You said what I meant, but much more succinctly.