PDA

View Full Version : insight on the hawk?

blacksburgsoxfan
06-21-2006, 09:04 AM
i was searching the internet looking for a downloadable audio clip of hawk's home run call (i want to make it my ringtone) and i came across a number of boards where people were blasting the hawk's announcing.

i love hawk & dj, and all the catchphrases that hawk uses
my husband and i yell them out all game long... it makes watching so much fun

but it made me wonder, does anyone have any insight on why so many non-sox fans think he's one of the worst and most boring announcers in baseball (as one site put it)?

rdwj
06-21-2006, 09:17 AM
The main reason people don't like him is because he's a blatant homer. Another big complaint is that he calls the Sox the "Good Guys" and the opponents "Bad Guys".

Anyone that's as unique and recognizable as Hawk is going to have detractors. I bet most of them can't name more than 5 other announcers.

Oh, BTW - I'm a huge fan of Hawk

wdelaney72
06-21-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm not one of them, but you'll find plenty of people on this here site that despise Hawk. All you can say is "Loved, hated, but never ignored."

SouthSideSoxFan
06-21-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm a huge Sox fan... longtime White Sox season ticket holder... I travel to see the tream... I have spent most of my disposable income on the White Sox over the years...

And I can't stand Hawk. I think he's the worst announcer I've ever heard. I find him to be embarassingly bad.

I think he sounds like an idiot. I hate his calls that sound like a grammar school dropout. And I hate his rambling stories that have nothing to do with the game.

I turn down the sound on the TV when he really starts to grate on me. The Ed Farmer/Chris Singleton radio team is clearly in its early days and working out all kinds of problems, but I can handle listening to them 100x more easily than Hawk. During the playoffs last year when there were ESPN announcers, I was so relieved watching the away games because there was no Hawk. The ESPN announcers had their issues, but were a joy to listen to compared to Hawk.

If they got rid of Hawk, I'd do a dance of joy.

I realize that amongst Sox fans, I am in the minority on this. I think that might be because he's just more overtly a home team fan than other announcers.

MsSoxVixen22
06-21-2006, 09:31 AM
I love Hawk and DJ. Hawk is hilarious! And yeah when the Sox play bad, he shuts up. I guess I'd rather have him do that, then talk **** about the team. I guess Hawk is an acquired taste much like beer. :D:

Thome25
06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm a huge Sox fan... longtime White Sox season ticket holder... I travel to see the tream... I have spent most of my disposable income on the White Sox over the years...

And I can't stand Hawk. I think he's the worst announcer I've ever heard. I find him to be embarassingly bad.

I think he sounds like an idiot. I hate his calls that sound like a grammar school dropout. And I hate his rambling stories that have nothing to do with the game.

I turn down the sound on the TV when he really starts to grate on me. The Ed Farmer/Chris Singleton radio team is clearly in its early days and working out all kinds of problems, but I can handle listening to them 100x more easily than Hawk. During the playoffs last year when there were ESPN announcers, I was so relieved watching the away games because there was no Hawk. The ESPN announcers had their issues, but were a joy to listen to compared to Hawk.

I realize that amongst Sox fans, I am in the minority on this. I think that might be because he's just more overtly a home team fan than other announcers.

I love hawk. I guess people either love him or hate him. We like our announcers to be the same as our fans. BIASED:tongue:

MeteorsSox4367
06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
I vote with the pro-Hawk people. Like me, Hawk obviously loves baseball and the Sox. I just like the fact that he's passionate about my favorite team and he doesn't have one of those cookie-cutter broadcasting voices in an effort to sound like Al Michaels (see ESPN's Dave O'Brien).

Hawk's call on Crede's bomb to beat Cleveland last year is something that still gives me goosebumps.

In addition, Hawk also has to put up with DJ prefacing every statement with "He/they is/are gonna go ahead and..."

DJ - please, please, please come up with something new to say.

Thanks and Go Sox!!

chi_guy
06-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I love listening to Hawk 1000x more than Farmer and Singleton. I think those guys are the worst. But, I have a friend that travels all over the mid-west and he said that he thinks the White Sox radio announcers are the best. He said the other teams announcers leave too much dead air and really have nothing to say.

I was talking to a Cubs fan last year at North Aurora days and she absolutely hated Hawk.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2006, 11:36 AM
Hawks a homer and that doesn't go over well with other teams fans.

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2006, 11:45 AM

Yep, and these fans don't realize it until he makes a call against their team. I remember how funny the Red Sox fans thought he was when the Sox were bombarding the Yanks a couple yrs back but when he made those same calls against their team, they suddenly didn't find him so amusing anymore.

DachnoPiitu
06-21-2006, 12:22 PM
I love HAWK! :cool: YES!

If and when he says something stupid, I let it slide. If people hated me for saying stupid stuff, I'd be a very lonely SOX fan. By the end of the game HAWK always redeems himself with love for the game and personal reflection of the game he played years ago. I am very glad he is on my/our/SOX side.

AND Hawkisms are absolutely wonderful: heinie-birds being my fav.:tongue:

slobes
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I can see Hawk being either you love him or you him--nothing in between.

I of course love him. Lately he and DJ have been awesome.

VenturaSoxFan23
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
With it being summertime, I spend more time outside listening to the radio instead of vegging in front of the TV.

Hawk is good in small doses. I like his work. Most people who can't stand him usually point to his so-called "homer" quality; but any good announcer wants his team to win and gets fired up.

Now, if you want to talk about bad announcing, switch on TBS. Those Braves announcers will put you to sleep and have done so for the over 20 years I've watched their games. If they show any kind of emotion besides comatose, I've yet to hear it.

vegyrex
06-21-2006, 01:14 PM
I like Hawk. He's so much more interesting than other baseball announcers.

bayzbol44
06-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Bravo!!!! I agree with you 100%. :cool: :D:

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Now, if you want to talk about bad announcing, switch on TBS. Those Braves announcers will put you to sleep and have done so for the over 20 years I've watched their games. If they show any kind of emotion besides comatose, I've yet to hear it.

I tend to agree...I've never cared for Skip Caray's voice, that's for sure!

ws05champs
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
I really like Hawk's calls and enthusiasm but he drives me nuts when he goes on tangents that have nothing to do about what is going on in the game.

Rounding_Third
06-21-2006, 01:51 PM
I caught the last inning and a half of the Cards coverage. They were absolutely awful!!!! There were huge gaps of silence. They made Santo sound like Cosell. Their postgame was equally bad. They interviewed Crede on the field and couldn't even thank him for the interview. It was dissapointing that such a storied franchise was so weak in their coverage. Hawk & DJ may get on our nerves from time to time but they're entertaining.

stillz
06-21-2006, 01:55 PM

Hawk is funny, passionate and one-of-a-kind. For an older guy, his memory is still sharp, and he has more insight into the organization and its place in the game than all other Chicago sportcasters lumped together. All you haters have no sense of humor or history.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I caught the last inning and a half of the Cards coverage. They were absolutely awful!!!! There were huge gaps of silence. They made Santo sound like Cosell. Their postgame was equally bad. They interviewed Crede on the field and couldn't even thank him for the interview. It was dissapointing that such a storied franchise was so weak in their coverage. Hawk & DJ may get on our nerves from time to time but they're entertaining.

I'm sure that Hawk and DJ would have been equally poor if we were on the receiving end of an ass whooppin like that.

Corlose 15
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
I don't know how many of you guys have mlb.tv but it gives you a chance to hear other teams tv guys. Let me tell you, you may not like Hawk but at least he is excited about what happens in the game. Last time I checked a teams broadcaster is supposed to want his team to win. Some of these announcers are so unbearably boring that you can't stand listening to them, Hawk isn't.

Some of the snoozefest groups inlcude but aren't limited to DET, CLE, TOR, TEX, LAA, KC.

johnr1note
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Hawk was a breath of fresh air when he started announcing for the White Sox. His enthusiasm and knowledge of baseball, along with his unique personality, made his broadcasts unique and colorful.

I don't know the right way to say this, but I don't necessarily think he's aged well. That sounds cruel, and I don't mean to be, because I do like Hawk and generally enjoy his broadcasts. But he's sort of become a caricature of himself. The cliche's seem a little tired. "He gone," "Stretch," etc. were novel concepts the first 3,000 times they were used. Hawk is sort of resting on his laurels, it seems. On the other hand, he is so connected with the Sox on TV, its hard to imagine the broadcasts without him.

Justagirl
06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
http://www.heavethehawk.com/
I personally dont understand all the animosity toward him either. Misery loves company.

HomeFish
06-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I find it embarrassing when he yells "stretch" on balls hit to the warning track. Or "nobody's gonna get that one" on routine flyouts.

Chicken Dinner
06-21-2006, 02:31 PM
I find it embarrassing when he yells "stretch" on balls hit to the warning track. Or "nobody's gonna get that one" on routine flyouts.

That is a fact.......the "stretch" thing has to go.

rdwj
06-21-2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.heavethehawk.com/
I personally dont understand all the animosity toward him either. Misery loves company.

Just a sad, lonely group of "fans" that need something to complain about and others that hate anything White Sox. Notice that there aren't many posts even though the site has been around over a year.

Baby Fisk
06-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Does anyone else start snickering when Hawk is describing a player and says something like "That's a good lookin' young man."?

LongLiveFisk
06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Does anyone else start snickering when Hawk is describing a player and says something like "That's a good lookin' young man."?

Well, Steve Stone used to do that a lot too!

LauraJ14
06-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Hawk is funny, passionate and one-of-a-kind. For an older guy, his memory is still sharp, and he has more insight into the organization and its place in the game than all other Chicago sportcasters lumped together. All you haters have no sense of humor or history.

Maybe I would like Hawk better if his baseball stories weren't always about the Bo Sox. He has been with the White Sox organization for 20 years and he spends more time talking about Ted and Yaz than Sox players and White Sox history.
Some of the catch phrases have to go ( stretch, cinch it up etc.) I actually get excited to go to the ball park and not have to listen to the catch phrase announcing until all the people sitting around me start uttering them.

TheDarkGundam
06-21-2006, 03:03 PM
"No that there's anything wrong with that!"
"No, no of course not."

miker
06-21-2006, 05:44 PM
But Hawk's working for the White Sox, not the other team!

Wait, there I go putting logic into the discussion...I'll hang up now.

He's not perfect, but I still like the Hawk.

SOXandILLINI
06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
hawk can be grating at times, but he's entertaining... now d.j. is another story. he is flat out terrible. somebody please tell me what dramastic is please, or what supposably is. as someone who played the game, his insight is horrendous. i for one cannot understand how anyone enjoys d.j. but i guess thats what makes the world an interesting place. and as far as farmio and singleton, they also stink. john rooney did a nice job, and is missed.

Mr. White Sox
06-21-2006, 05:55 PM
I vote with the pro-Hawk people. Like me, Hawk obviously loves baseball and the Sox. I just like the fact that he's passionate about my favorite team and he doesn't have one of those cookie-cutter broadcasting voices in an effort to sound like Al Michaels (see ESPN's Dave O'Brien).

Hawk's call on Crede's bomb to beat Cleveland last year is something that still gives me goosebumps.

In addition, Hawk also has to put up with DJ prefacing every statement with "He/they is/are gonna go ahead and..."

DJ - please, please, please come up with something new to say.

Thanks and Go Sox!!

No question, MeteorsSox, no question.

comet2k
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
As someone mentioned earlier, the Braves announcers on TBS are dreadful. Ditto the Cubs' TV announcers.

Listen to anyone long enough and you'll get tired of hearing them. When that happens, try turning the sound off. You know baseball, so you know what's going on.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-21-2006, 07:03 PM
I wanna know why he was gone for a whole hour yesterday.

Also did anyone hear him grunt into the mic the other day? It was last week I think but there was a loud "errrummpph!" followed by a quiet "excuse me." DJ wisely kept talking.

I've also been hearing some paper shuffling, possibly some candy wrappers in there too.

michned
06-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I am one of those that is sort of on the fence when it comes to Hawk. I don't overly love or hate him. But, as was mentioned in this thread, I think he has become a caricature of himself but that's not necessarily a bad thing. He gets paid to be entertaining and most of the time he is.

I think the coolest thing about him is he reinvents himself constantly. He comes up with new catch phrases (didn't "He Gone!" replace "Grab Some Bench!" several years ago?). I used to roll my eyes at "Stretch!" and this year I use it everyday (because I just can't stop!). Most announcers will develop a style with a signature or two and that's it. Those will be the only catch phrases they use and are known for. I'd love to listen to a Hawk broadcast from 15-20 years ago and see how it compares to today.

faneidde
06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Hawk Harrelson...YES!

QCIASOXFAN
06-21-2006, 07:19 PM
I was dumbfounded a few years ago when my uncle (who lives in Chicago) told me that a lot of people don't like him at all. He told me a couple reasons, like using "he gone" and some of his other little catch phrases. I just could not get over the fact that people didint like the guy, I love sittin back and strappin it down!

Xx i am error xX
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
There are many times when I will almost not want to watch a game on Extra Innings or MLB.tv because it's not the Hawk Feed. It's good having both because when one's not Hawk, there's always a chance the other is. But I feel like it's bad luck watching a game with the other team's broadcaster. I really should move to Chicago. :tongue:

soxruleEP
06-21-2006, 09:07 PM
One of the reasons Hawk has so many catch phrases is he's been the announcer for so long that he has developed a variety of them. He never gets rid of one once he starts using them.

He definitely has to quit with the "stretch" business as he is now intoning it on every fly ball.

As to his stories always referring to Yaz and Williams: I would liken it to the guys who are constantly telling stories about when they were in college. Hawk was on the BoSox 1967 team that won the pennant. And he played with Yaz for a number of seasons. For those of us of a certain age, Yaz and Frank Robinson were the best players of our youth (Willie Mays and Hank Aaron were so good there was no sense including them in the discussion; you'd never choose any other player.). I imagine that if I were Hawk--a very good RBI man for a few seasons before he went crazy and decided to try to play pro golf--I would talk about Yaz quite a bit as well.

I guessI'm a Hawk man, but he does grate on me.

Hitmen77
06-21-2006, 09:44 PM
About a generation ago, there was another Sox announcer that had little respect from other fans. People thought he was a low class idiot. And yes, he called the Sox the "good guys" and the other team the "bad guys". Cub fans especially looked down on him. Of his name was Harry Caray.

Hawk has his faults, but I still think he's great. I think DJ's improving.

Daver
06-21-2006, 09:54 PM
If Ken Harrellson were to resign tommorrow, I would consider this season a success. He drives me nuts, and with The Combo of Farmer and Singleton on the radio side, I welcome national telecasts.

rdwj
06-21-2006, 10:36 PM
If Ken Harrellson were to resign tommorrow, I would consider this season a success.

Ya, better that than something silly like a world series.

TaylorStSox
06-21-2006, 10:39 PM
I can't stand him because he hasn't said anything original since the 90's. It's the same old crap about the same old people that, frankly, I don't give a **** about.

NardiWasHere
06-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Hawk has created a hybrid of color commentary and play by play. Its actually a brilliant way to announce the game. I always feel like I'm with some older knowledgable guy at a bar watching the game and having a fun time. I don't need constant descriptions of the game. Its television, I can see the action. He knows when to let the game speak for itself. How a Sox fan can sit back and say they dislike him or rather listen to a national broadcast is beyond me. I don't need Joe Buck telling me what color uniforms the teams are wearing.... (The white sox are in their grey away uniforms as the Kansas city royals sport their white home jerseys).... What I need is some entertainment, some insight, and someone who understands when to shut up and allow the viewer to experience the action on the field for themselves.

He's a legend.

IlliniSox4Life
06-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I love Hawk.

And at LEAST Hawk makes baseball more tolerable to those who aren't huge fans of watching the game on tv. I always hear people say they think baseball is boring and don't like towatch it, especially on TV. One of the great things about baseball for those of us in the know is the chatter during the games. The talking to friends and thinking some things out loud about your team. Remembering a story here or there and sharing it. Hawk is probably the best representation of that chatter I have heard from an announcer. Watching the game on TV with him is kinda like being in the stands and overhearing some guy in the row behind you talking. They have some interesting things to say, and they don't always make sense, but at least they share the passion. I think a lot of tv broadcasts lack that, and it is why it is hard for a lot of non diehards to watch baseball on tv.

rdwj
06-21-2006, 11:03 PM
Hawk has created a hybrid of color commentary and play by play. Its actually a brilliant way to announce the game. I always feel like I'm with some older knowledgable guy at a bar watching the game and having a fun time. I don't need constant descriptions of the game. Its television, I can see the action. He knows when to let the game speak for itself. How a Sox fan can sit back and say they dislike him or rather listen to a national broadcast is beyond me. I don't need Joe Buck telling me what color uniforms the teams are wearing.... (The white sox are in their grey away uniforms as the Kansas city royals sport their white home jerseys).... What I need is some entertainment, some insight, and someone who understands when to shut up and allow the viewer to experience the action on the field for themselves.

He's a legend.

Totally agree. The Sox fans that don't are few and far between

CommanderPudge72
06-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Man, I don't need the announcers to call it down the line....Like Joe Buck is neutral. More than half the national feeds can't even get the players right....Taguchi?????? John Miller :rolleyes:

I want some analysis slated on the team that I watch for 162 games a year...I'd rather hear "Stretch" a million times over hearing where the name "Pronk" came from for Hafner.

Bottom line, our identity is based on attitude. We don't get the national coverage...we don't get even get the cover locally like we should...as defending champs we should be THE story...everynight.

I like that somebody speaks for the team....and since we are winning, bring the games on...as a Sox fan for 30 years, I have seen/heard many more things to worry about....this is time to ENJOY!!!!:gulp:

:walkoff:
"Take That, You Jags!!!!"

MrRoboto83
06-22-2006, 12:56 AM

I think old men of 60 or more tend to say these things.

PKalltheway
06-22-2006, 01:03 AM
The Hawk is sooo awesome! I honestly don't see how some Sox fans hate him! It's even more fun listening to him when the White Sox deliever a clutch win! Remember "Jooooee Creeedeee!!" Just imagine how exciting the final call of the World Series last year would have been if he made it (not taking ANYTHING away from John Rooney's call since that was an AWESOME call).

WoodPierceLyons
06-23-2006, 12:56 AM
I love the Hawk. It is nice to follow along and know what is coming. I do miss Wimpy. No one here has stated how good that pairing was in the past. I also like the fact that he is a homer. You should have heard "hall of famer" Marty Brennamen the other day talking about his Reds. He was sooooo critical I actually felt bad for their players. Hawk would never do that and I am glad for it.

CubsDrool
06-23-2006, 01:51 AM
I have a fond remembrance of Wimpy too. I think D.J. is a great guy but he really does not have the chemistry with Hawk that Wimpy did. Those two were the best ever. I hear that Wimpy is wanting to get back too. Would be nice if they could find something else for D.J. to do. Hawk is awesome in my book and I love that he is a homer. I don't know how many of you attended Soxfest, but Hawk was the most approachable guy there. I have run into him on road trips and he always stops to talk with fans and is genuinely interested in talking to Sox fans. My only regret is that he has not punched out the idiot at the Sun Times.

Hitmen77
06-23-2006, 08:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that if the Sox got rid of Hawk and he was picked up by the Cubs, we'd suddenly hear everyone fawn over how "great" he his and how stupid the Sox were for letting him go. Then we Sox fans would spend years of bitterness over letting him go while the other team built another statue.

I think the main reason that people who aren't Sox fans don't like Hawk is because he is a White Sox announcer. Don't be fooled by their hypocricy - don't believe for a second that fans from other teams wouldn't suddenly be shouting the likes of "He Gone!" if he became their announcer.

Like I said earlier, people outside of the Sox fanbase had no respect for Harry Caray in the 70s. He was seen as a boorish, lowbrow, unprofessional who appealed to low brow Sox fans. Sound familiar? The one distinction I have to draw though is that Harry was not a company mouthpiece when he was with the Sox, whereas Hawk totally is.

Baby Fisk
06-23-2006, 09:10 AM
I think old men of 60 or more tend to say these things.
I wan't implying anything negative, it's just jarring when he suddenly says that. DJ's reaction is usually an awkward "uh... yeah..." :D:

LongLiveFisk
06-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Like I said earlier, people outside of the Sox fanbase had no respect for Harry Caray in the 70s. He was seen as a boorish, lowbrow, unprofessional who appealed to low brow Sox fans. Sound familiar? The one distinction I have to draw though is that Harry was not a company mouthpiece when he was with the Sox, whereas Hawk totally is.

This is true. I loved Harry in the 70s, although I was a little kid. Funny how he became "loveable" when he went to the North side though.

ChiWavDave
06-23-2006, 10:26 AM
I guess you could put me in the neither category. Hawk is OK, I don't mind the homerism or the catchphrases or even the BoSox stories, and while growing up in the south as a braves fan, I fully agree that he is far more entertaining than that snorefest.

However, what I can't stand is the bitterness, and churlishness. Whether he is ranting about Marriotti (Heinybird) or his long gaps of silence when he is pouting about something or is mad at DJ its unprofessional and embarrassing. If you listen to DJ when he does the fox games he is 100% better then when hes on with Hawk. As the lead dog in the booth, thats 100% hawks fault.

So I guess I am one of the minority who neither loves nor hates him...

JohnBasedowYoda
06-23-2006, 10:28 AM
If Ken Harrellson were to resign tommorrow, I would consider this season a success. He drives me nuts, and with The Combo of Farmer and Singleton on the radio side, I welcome national telecasts.

Can you imagine the white bread, factory stamped, loser that's going to replace hawk? If Rooney turned into Singleton I shudder to think who's going to replace Hawk.

MILTMAY5
06-23-2006, 10:47 AM

He's a legend.I think Hawk is much like Harry Caray was on the south side, he won't be appreciated until he's gone. Then Sox fans will sit around crying about how much they miss him. Long live the Hawk!