PDA

View Full Version : Jason Johnson, he gone!

Banix12
06-20-2006, 07:37 PM
I guess getting clobbered by the cubs last night was the last straw...

The Indians' patience with Johnson finally ran out following the club's 12-8 loss to the Chicago Cubs on Monday. The right-hander, signed as a free agent in the offseason, allowed six runs -- three earned -- and six hits in five innings to drop to 3-8.

Since opening the season 2-0, Johnson is 1-8 with a 7.38 ERA in his last 10 starts. Cleveland is 4-10 in his outings. The team has 10 days to trade or release him.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9517155

He'll resurface somewhere soon enough. I could see the Reds taking a look.

JB98
06-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Too bad. I was hoping the Tribe would keep trotting him out there until they fall 20 games behind. Now, they might replace him with someone halfway decent.

caulfield12
06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
There just went $4 million out of a $56 million dollar budget out the door. They got cheap with Elarton, Millwood and Howry and are now paying the consequences. That and the ill-advised Crisp trade and signing Peralta to such a deal after only one season. But they still have Hafner, Martinez and Sizemore, and that makes them a perennial threat.

Nice job, GM of the year.

Sowers or Carmona will take his spot and audition for the rest of the season for the 2007 rotation.

Banix12
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
There just went $4 million out of a $56 million dollar budget out the door. They got cheap with Elarton, Millwood and Howry and are now paying the consequences. That and the ill-advised Crisp trade and signing Peralta to such a deal after only one season. But they still have Hafner, Martinez and Sizemore, and that makes them a perennial threat.

Nice job, GM of the year.

Sowers or Carmona will take his spot and audition for the rest of the season for the 2007 rotation.

Elarton was and is meat and was nowhere near worth the two year deal the Royals gave him. Indians didn't get cheap. Royals overpaid for a guy who is walking more guys than he is striking out.

They may have gotten a bit cheap on Millwood but realistically they couldn't devote that much of the payroll to one player. Especially one coming off a career year who in prior years posted ERAs over 4.00.

Howry, same as Elarton, the Cubs offered a rediculously huge contract and overpaid beyond what the Indians could reasonably give to a middle reliever.

The Crisp trade. The Indians got back one of the better prospects in baseball for a guy who is hitting .278 and then replaced him fairly well with Jason Michaels in the Rhodes trade. The other guys the Indians traded aren't even on the Red Sox anymore. I don't think the Crisp trade made any real major damage to the Indians and it may help them down the road.

Tragg
06-21-2006, 12:02 AM
You can make a solid justification for not signing Milwood et al; the problem is, that they didn't go out and replace them with much of anything. They just signed a couple of inferior versions of Howry and Milwood. Did they try to sign, say, Rogers (whom I really don't like that much, but he's a solid pitcher).

Williams could have easily justified not re-signing Konerko; eventually, you have to move forward, instead of getting prospects and more prospects. And I bet had Williams not re-signed Konerko, he would have made some compensating moves.

Marte is certainly a well-hyped prospect. The Braves spent a lot of energy proclaiming how great he was. But there is a time for prospects and a time for warriors. The Braves need to take a step or two back (and probably will) so they can move 5 steps forward. The Indians, it seemed to me, were ready to enter move forward...they keep retreating with prospects.

You can keep trading back for prospects, but

Banix12
06-21-2006, 12:15 AM
You can make a solid justification for not signing Milwood et al; the problem is, that they didn't go out and replace them with much of anything. They just signed a couple of inferior versions of Howry and Milwood. Did they try to sign, say, Rogers (whom I really don't like that much, but he's a solid pitcher).

Williams could have easily justified not re-signing Konerko; eventually, you have to move forward, instead of getting prospects and more prospects. And I bet had Williams not re-signed Konerko, he would have made some compensating moves.

Marte is certainly a well-hyped prospect. But there is a time for prospects and a time for warriors. The Braves need to take a step or two back (and probably will) so they can move 5 steps forward. The Indians, it seemed to me, were ready to enter move forward...they keep retreating with prospects.

You can keep trading back for prospects, but

Well you make a good point. He really didn't replace them with much at all. Especially in the starting rotation. It seems his plan was hoping the three young starters would take steps forward to fill the Millwood hole and throw Byrd and Johnson in the back. The bullpen, Mota in particular, has been horribly dissapointing in picking up the slack from what was a great pen last year.

I really didn't mind the Marte acquisition. I know he was just a prospect but the Indians are going to need something at 3b soon. Boone is not long for the team and before the season Casey Blake wasn't anywhere near the hitter he has shown so far this season and is almost in his mid-30's. Blake was probably considered a stopgap at best.

Marte's a power hitting corner infielder in his early 20's, definitely worth the risk for a team that really can't afford to bring in big free agents.

Ol' No. 2
06-21-2006, 10:31 AM

Marte is certainly a well-hyped prospect. The Braves spent a lot of energy proclaiming how great he was. But there is a time for prospects and a time for warriors. The Braves need to take a step or two back (and probably will) so they can move 5 steps forward. The Indians, it seemed to me, were ready to enter move forward...they keep retreating with prospects.

You can keep trading back for prospects, butThey also traded away Riske and Rhodes and got back Mota, who's been meat so far. Big loss in the bullpen on top of losing Howry. Take a look at those bullpen ERA's.:o:

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cle

SoxSpeed22
06-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Rhodes is a solid reliever and they traded him for a prospect who's not doing that good, Cleveland fans tell you he can't play. Not to mention Fernando Cabrera and Rafael Bentancourt being busts. They traded a health risk for a health risk in the Riske-Mota deal. Overall, the deals haven't worked for them, which is good for us.

Flight #24
06-21-2006, 02:25 PM
And now Johnson's been sold to the BoSox. Improved D could help him, but short of jacking up his hair and sliding a new pitcher underneath, not much is going to help him enough to become a good pitcher.

(except maybe a bit o'that Coop magic!):bandance:

DumpJerry
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Come on, the Tribe's GM is the 2005 Executive of the Year. He's the best there is out there.

TDog
06-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Too bad. I was hoping the Tribe would keep trotting him out there until they fall 20 games behind. Now, they might replace him with someone halfway decent.

The best they may find is an inconsistent pitcher who has enough good starts to tease their fans. Unless they pull off an unexpected trade, they may not see much improvement.

caulfield12
06-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I would hardly say Betancourt is a bust. He has, by and large, been pretty tough on the White Sox with the exception of one game.

Mota was damaged goods when they got him, from what I hear.

They have to trade Boone, Belliard and Wickman and get the most they can in return for them. Wickman could screw them over and retire. They also might look at trading Byrd to a contender. They're also going to have to decide on Westbrook, if they can afford him long-term or not.

Let Marte play (even though he has been something of a disappointment in AAA so far), Sowers....Carmona should get some starts as well.

The problem is that they had the same margin of error the 2001-2004 White Sox enjoyed...which is not much (see Thomas-Ordonez 2004 injuries). One or two key players go down and there isn't a capable replacement like we now have on our depth chart.

The Peralta signing has also turned out to be a disaster.

I think Crisp is one of those peppy players like Granderson, Pods, Ozuna, Lastings Milledge, Figgins, Jose Reyes, Eckstein...that seems to have the ability to give his team a little extra burst of energy.

Michaels is nothing more than a 4th outfielder masquerading as a starter, and he CERTAINLY is no corner outfielder in the big leagues.

Fenway
06-21-2006, 08:27 PM
hard to believe in spring training people said the Red Sox had too many starters :(:

Johnson to start July 1 (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/06/johnson_to_star.html)
Red Sox manager Terry Francona announced that newly acquired starter Jason Johnson will start on July 1 at Florida against the Marlins, which is the next time the team will need a fifth starter. (AP Photo)

oeo
06-21-2006, 11:00 PM
He'll resurface somewhere soon enough. I could see the Reds taking a look.
Oh my. Like that's going to help an already atrocious pitching staff.

EDIT: Nevermind. Good luck fenway.

Banix12
06-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Oh my. Like that's going to help an already atrocious pitching staff.

Well I was off by a space and two letters, though at least I got the color right.

Fenway
06-30-2006, 08:32 PM

YUCK In his first start for Boston the Marlins are having batting practice, up 5-0 after 2. I expect a roster move tomorrow

13 in a row would have been nice but....

Tragg
06-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I see that Wickman lays another egg.

If he were our closer, I think I finally might finally be willing to part with young players in midseason to fix. (not that the Tribe should, in their situation(.

Soxfanspcu11
07-02-2006, 03:46 AM
I see that Wickman lays another egg.

If he were our closer, I think I finally might finally be willing to part with young players in midseason to fix. (not that the Tribe should, in their situation(.

:?:

Fenway
07-05-2006, 08:19 PM
I EXPECT Johnson to be on waivers by the 7th inning tonight as Tampa Bay is lighting him up.

This experiment was a failure Theo cut him loose.

Fenway
07-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Jason Johnson was optioned this afternoon to Class A Wilmington, Delaware of the Carolina League.

Chips
07-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Jason Johnson was optioned this afternoon to Class A Wilmington, Delaware of the Carolina League.

Wow, riding high one day, and a few months later, not riding so high anymore.

QCIASOXFAN
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Wow, riding high one day, and a few months later, not riding so high anymore. I don't think that is riding at all! Class A ball? Is he really that bad now that he slips that far?

Fenway
07-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't think that is riding at all! Class A ball? Is he really that bad now that he slips that far?

The Red Sox say it is because AAA and AA are also in a break and this way he can pitch Wednesday, but I highly doubt you will see him in a Boston uniform again with the Yankees only 3 behind Boston. His 2 outings with the Red Sox were brutal.

Ol' No. 2
07-10-2006, 08:28 PM
The Red Sox say it is because AAA and AA are also in a break and this way he can pitch Wednesday, but I highly doubt you will see him in a Boston uniform again with the Yankees only 3 behind Boston. His 2 outings with the Red Sox were brutal.What happens if he gets lit up in A ball?:o:

Chips
07-10-2006, 08:30 PM
What happens if he gets lit up in A ball?:o:

He will follow in the path of Scott Norwood and sell insurance.:smile:

Fenway
07-10-2006, 08:31 PM
What happens if he gets lit up in A ball?:o:

Then the Cubs pick him up on waivers :cool:

34 Inch Stick
07-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Now Cubs midwest can trade Maddux to Cubs east...and he will get lit up in the AL.