PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Howard's Titantic Blast II

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Ryan Howard has done it again, folks. The Phillies slugging first baseman just unloaded off Mike Mussina in the bottom of the first inning of the Yankees-Phillies contest at Citizens Bank Ballpark. Howard connected on the first pitch and sent the ball flying into the third deck in RF. I'll update this post once the distance on the home run is determined.

Edit: 461 feet

HomeFish
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Somewhere in Florida, Joe Borchard is unimpressed.

caulfield12
06-20-2006, 07:01 PM
No matter what Thome does these three years, they definitely made the right (and only) move by shipping him to the Sox.

Not to mention that Haigwood or Gonzalez could develop into solid, middle of the rotation starters.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 07:25 PM
FYI: Howard homered in his second at-bat, this one a two-run shot to left-center to give the Phillies a 5-3 lead.

santo=dorf
06-20-2006, 07:31 PM
One of my buddy's friends put $900 or something for Howard to hit the most HR's in the MLB this season. I think it pays $30 Grand or something. :o:

caulfield12
06-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Looks like he got lucky with Pujols' injury then, as Albert would have been challenging 70 homers this season.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 07:39 PM
One of my buddy's friends put $900 or something for Howard to hit the most HR's in the MLB this season. I think it pays $30 Grand or something. :o:

I wouldn't be surprised. The dimensions in that park are perfect for someone like him. Maybe the Sox can get him once Thome retires.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 07:53 PM
The Yankees decided not to take their chances and intentionally walked "Playstation," as I'm calling him now, in his third plate appearance.

Jjav829
06-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Holy **** is Ryan Howard strong. The odd thing is that despite that monster shot to right field, almost all of his home runs at home have been opposite field shots.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Holy **** is Ryan Howard strong. The odd thing is that despite that monster shot to right field, almost all of his home runs at home have been opposite field shots.

A lot of people have complained about that, saying that he doesn't have the bat-speed to yank pitches into the RF seats, but if you ever watch his swing in slow-motion, it's actually extremely quick and compact for someone his size. Like a lot of young power-hitters, he probably just needs time to "learn" how to pull the ball. The dimensions at Citizens Bank Park favor right-handed hitters, so it's actually a good thing that Howard drives balls to LF and left-center with authority.

getonbckthr
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
I wouldn't be surprised. The dimensions in that park are perfect for someone like him. Maybe the Sox can get him once Thome retires.
For Ryan Sweeney and a couple pitchers?:D:

RKMeibalane
06-21-2006, 09:06 AM
After last night's game, Howard was asked about other home runs he's hit. He talked about one from Little League in a story from Philly.com:

Howard has been in the wow business for a while now. Asking him the other day to remember back to one of the early ones, he said he couldn't recall all of the details, seeing as how he was only about 12 years old at the time. But the game took place in a park that had an outfield fence.

The picture he painted was simple enough: "Behind the fence, there was a restaurant. But first there was a parking lot. There was probably about 30 yards of parking lot. And I hit a home run in the game.

"I hit it off of the Red Lobster,'' he said.

You mean in the parking lot?

"No, I hit it off of the Red Lobster - the building,'' Howard said.