PDA

View Full Version : Gathright to Royals

rowand33
06-20-2006, 07:26 PM
From rotoworld:

Royals acquired outfielder Joey Gathright and infielder Fernando Cortez from the Devil Rays for LHP J.P. Howell.
Gathright may be the fastest player in baseball, but he's yet to prove he can hit at the major league level and he's also overrated defensively. He'll have to improve a lot just to be an average regular in center field, and it's hard to imagine him becoming something more than that. With David DeJesus already entrenched, the Royals needed Howell more. We're guessing the Royals will keep Gathright in Triple-A for now and then make him a regular after either Reggie Sanders or Emil Brown is traded. Maybe this will cause them to put Justin Huber back at first base, which is where he belongs. Jun. 20 - 6:28 pm et

Scottiehaswheels
06-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Just to have his speed off the bench I'd think we could have put something together for him better than Howell

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 07:33 PM
I was just about to say, "And he instantly becomes the best player on their team."

JB98
06-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Just to have his speed off the bench I'd think we could have put something together for him better than Howell

Gathright sucks. He can't play for the Devil Rays. Why would you want him on the Sox? As long as Pablo Ozuna is alive, I'm satisfied with our speed off the bench. The Sox have the best bench in baseball. We need no upgrades there.

Scottiehaswheels
06-20-2006, 07:55 PM
Gathright sucks. He can't play for the Devil Rays. Why would you want him on the Sox? As long as Pablo Ozuna is alive, I'm satisfied with our speed off the bench. The Sox have the best bench in baseball. We need no upgrades there.And on the days Pods/Ozuna are already in the field? I'm not saying to put him on our 25 man roster... Throw him in AAA and see what happens, he wasn't this bad last year so it could just be a sophomore slump...

Banix12
06-20-2006, 07:56 PM
This could turn out pretty good for the Devil Rays. If I remember Howell last year he had decent stuff but he mostly needed more seasoning in the minors and he needed to develop another pitch for his arsenal. He was the Royals 2004 first round draft pick. I'm a bit suprised they gave up on him so fast after rushing him (way too fast) to the major leagues last season.

JB98
06-20-2006, 08:44 PM
And on the days Pods/Ozuna are already in the field? I'm not saying to put him on our 25 man roster... Throw him in AAA and see what happens, he wasn't this bad last year so it could just be a sophomore slump...

Sorry, Gathright is a piece of crap. If you want more speed off the bench, we can just call up Jerry Owens.

champagne030
06-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Gathright sucks. He can't play for the Devil Rays. Why would you want him on the Sox? As long as Pablo Ozuna is alive, I'm satisfied with our speed off the bench. The Sox have the best bench in baseball. We need no upgrades there.

I'm not saying that I want Gathright, but we do not have a bench player that's not a major defensive liability in CF. I certainly wouldn't be upset if we got a defensive OF (who was primarily a CF) and lost Gload.

Tragg
06-20-2006, 11:14 PM
We've got several outfielders that will be ML ready in 1 or 2 years with as much, or more, promise than this guy.

Mr. N Paul Todd
06-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Gathright does not just plain suck. He is absolutely LOADED with potential. Hell, how many SB has he racked up in his minimum MLB time? With the right coaches this kid could go extremely far.

Banix12
06-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Gathright does not just plain suck. He is absolutely LOADED with potential. Hell, how many SB has he racked up in his minimum MLB time? With the right coaches this kid could go extremely far.

Well he is with the Royals' coaches now so throw that idea out the window.

If anybody can kill a career, they can.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Nice deal for the Royals. They need talent...period. Gathright has it, maybe he can't or won't develop it but for what they gave up, that's a risk worth taking.

Lip

santo=dorf
06-20-2006, 11:42 PM
Building your team around with players looking only at their stolen base totals is one way to run your franchise into the ground, even if you are the Royals.

Career line of .244/.312/.291. Pass.

DaleJRFan
06-20-2006, 11:43 PM
What's this do with TB's outfield situation? No more Crawford trade talk?

Banix12
06-21-2006, 12:00 AM

Pretty much nothing has changed I would think. Gathright wasn't going to be playing for Tampa again anytime soon now that Baldelli is healthy. Gathright wasn't even on the Major League roster anymore.

If they want to trade Crawford, they'll trade him. The Gathright deal has no bearing on his situation.

Tragg
06-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Move that OBP up to .350+, then stolen bases would be meaningful. He looks like another swing at everything type of hitter.

Jjav829
06-21-2006, 12:58 AM

Nothing. The Crawford talk has more to do with the Rays already having Baldelli and Gomes (even though he's really a DH) and having Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes on the way. Plus the speculation is that B.J. Upton's future may be in the outfield.

California Sox
06-21-2006, 01:10 AM
Nothing. The Crawford talk has more to do with the Rays already having Baldelli and Gomes (even though he's really a DH) and having Delmon Young and Elijah Dukes on the way. Plus the speculation is that B.J. Upton's future may be in the outfield.

Plus, Josh Hamilton is trying to be a TV movie. He supposedly was very impressive in BP.

rowand33
06-21-2006, 06:19 AM
I'll tell you this much...

if the royals got gathright for a pitching prospect, apparently the pitcher lost it because the thing the Royals need most is pitching.

I would have LOVED for Gathright to be down in Charlotte. He's the fasted player in the major leagues, and he has a ton of offensive potential. Think of him as Scotty Pods before last season.

FedEx227
06-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah just as Jjav said...
They still have an absolute log-jam at the OF position with Rocco Baldelli, Carl Crawford, Jonny Gomes, Delmon Young, Damon Hollins, soon-to-be BJ Upton, and Elijah Dukes.

Think of him as Scotty Pods before last season.

Think again. As much as I like Gathright and the Rays, hes just not THAT good. He was brought along as a project, he barely played baseball at any point during his life. Hell a scout discovered him jumping over cars. Unfortunately, all he is right now is speed, while Pods wasn't lighting the ball up early in his career, he still was much further along then Gathright.

Banix12
06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll tell you this much...

if the royals got gathright for a pitching prospect, apparently the pitcher lost it because the thing the Royals need most is pitching.

I would have LOVED for Gathright to be down in Charlotte. He's the fasted player in the major leagues, and he has a ton of offensive potential. Think of him as Scotty Pods before last season.

The thing Tampa needs most is pitching as well, Kansas City actually needs everything.

Howell is a guy who basically got his career mismanaged by the Royals in an act of desperation. He was the 2004 1st round pick and was pitching in the majors by mid-2005 despite barely throwing 50 innings above A-ball. Left Hander, doesn't throw really hard but showed good command in college and a decent arsenal.

He's only 23 and there is still plenty of ability there.

Gathright has probably the most interesting potential here but Howell might be the better prospect.

Deebs14
06-21-2006, 02:38 PM
Elijah Dukes on the way.

Not if he keeps acting like an ass.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/261735.html