PDA

View Full Version : Mac, Jurko, Harry Column

Lip Man 1
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
I didn't know one of them was fired by the Sun-Times for 'covering' a White Sox game from a bar?

What in the name of God, has my business fallin into?????

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/202sd9.htm

Unfriggin- believeable!

Lip

jdm2662
06-20-2006, 03:44 PM
They way it is right now, I might actually listen to sports radio. I happen to enjoy Silverman and Defalco. Silverman can get annoying, but the way he put up with the Moron, he has my respect. I also like Carmen alot. He actually seems to have a knowledge on sports, and sounds proffesional. The main thing is Silverman and Carmen don't let their bias get in the way of good baseball talk. How can you not like that. Jurko can go. He's just another ex-football player that knows nothing other than football. At least McMichael is entertaining. I also enjoy Jeff Dickerson and JHood at night. I wish I can do my job in a bar. That be great... The way the dope Boars is, I can't imagine how bad both McNeil and Boars where. I never listened to sports radio until 2000...

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2006, 03:50 PM
The act had to have occured almost 20 years ago Lip. Mc Neil was probably in his early 20's acting as a stringer for a 3rd rate newspaper. It isn't justified but it is no big deal.

This was a hatchet job. You would think the reporter would have at least grudgingly identified MJH as the most popular sports talk show in this city.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 04:06 PM
The act had to have occured almost 20 years ago Lip. Mc Neil was probably in his early 20's acting as a stringer for a 3rd rate newspaper. It isn't justified but it is no big deal.

This was a hatchet job. You would think the reporter would have at least grudgingly identified MJH as the most popular sports talk show in this city.

And looking at last quarter's ratings, that would make them the World's tallest midget.

TDog
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM

From what I have read about this show and its hosts, if this is the most popular sports talk show in the city, it reflects poorly on people who listen to sports talk radio in Chicago.

The article didn't say he was a stringer -- someone paid to cover an event when that regular staff cannot (the Times would have stringers, for example, covering high school basketball games). It says he was a staff writer, someone paid a wage to do a job. If that is true, a violation of this nature, no matter how long ago, demonstrates a dishonesty and lack of integrity that should permanently mark him in the media business.

The Times has a circulation of more than 100,000. Reporters covering games from saloon would make it a third-rate paper, but such actions can't be excused by labeling the newspaper third rate.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 04:22 PM
I used to get the Times (now I guess the NWI Times) when I lived in Hammond. Granted this probably would have been 5-10 years before McNeil worked there, but it's sports coverage of the Chicago teams was pretty bad then. McNeil's coverage of games from a saloon probably wasn't much worse than the work of his predecessors.

That being said, the novelty has worn off most sportsblab radio for me. I'll listen to get a take on a particular story, but other than that, forget it.

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2006, 04:33 PM
From what I have read about this show and its hosts, if this is the most popular sports talk show in the city, it reflects poorly on people who listen to sports talk radio in Chicago.

The article didn't say he was a stringer -- someone paid to cover an event when that regular staff cannot (the Times would have stringers, for example, covering high school basketball games). It says he was a staff writer, someone paid a wage to do a job. If that is true, a violation of this nature, no matter how long ago, demonstrates a dishonesty and lack of integrity that should permanently mark him in the media business.

The Times has a circulation of more than 100,000. Reporters covering games from saloon would make it a third-rate paper, but such actions can't be excused by labeling the newspaper third rate.

I know it didn't state he was a stringer. I was considering that an internship for Chet was a step up from his "reporter" job in thinking that the story just might have overstated Mc Neil's position.

I know many on this board feel that sports radio is beneath them. I, on the other hand, enjoy it and think it is a fun diversion during my drive home.

spawn
06-20-2006, 05:29 PM

Well, considering the other sports talk shows there are in this city, that's really not saying much. Personally I agree with his column. Personally I enjoy listening to Silvy and Carmen a lot more than MJH. Mac is a little too ego driven for my taste, and Harry just plain sucks. Jurko is the only reason to listen in IMHO.

paciorek1983
06-20-2006, 06:30 PM
To me, Mac seems to have anger issues or something. I get the impression the he has a hard time getting along with people, ase on his record with Coppock, the Score and now his show on MVP.

For a while, I liked the MJH show and was ok with Mac landing another gig when the show first started, but I can do without him now. Drive-time sportsblab is a hard listen nowadays. I can't stand the two boobs on SCR.

Flight #24
06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, considering the other sports talk shows there are in this city, that's really not saying much. Personally I agree with his column. Personally I enjoy listening to Silvy and Carmen a lot more than MJH. Mac is a little too ego driven for my taste, and Harry just plain sucks. Jurko is the only reason to listen in IMHO.

Yeah, really those are the only 2 hosts in this town on either station that aren't so fricking full of themselves that they actually sit around and talk sports. I haven't listened to Salisbury much, but when S&C were the morning hosts, that was the one time I'd chime into talk radio and turn off the MP3s.

Now - nada but the occasional Sox game.

wdelaney72
06-21-2006, 09:36 AM
To me, Mac seems to have anger issues or something.

In reality he does. I believe Mac has admitted this on the air.

Nothing against Carmen and Silverman, but they just don't have the on-air charisma that Mac does. I think Mac is incredibly arrogant, full of himself, and by all counts appears to be an absolute tool, but he's is a very engaging radio personality, and I've always enjoyed him on the radio.

I'm not a Harry Teinowitz fan, and have always concluded that he must have naked pictures of some radio executive to have made it this long, but in this situation, he was absolutely right on. He deserves his suspension, though, becuase it was hardly the time or place to bring the item up for discussion.

Jeff Schwartz's recent creation / hiring of Rosenbloom and Salisbury shows he's completely clueless about radio, so I'm sure he'll stay the course and keep Mac and Harry together on the same show, so they can eventually self destruct. The tension between Harry and Mac / Jurko is REALLY getting old.

34 Inch Stick
06-21-2006, 11:55 AM
To me, Mac seems to have anger issues or something. .

This statement reminds me of the scene in Stripes where John Candy says "you may have noticed, I have a slight weight problem"

PatK
06-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Jurko can go too.

He knows football and NASCAR, that's it.

I don't need any more White Sox analysis from a guy that is a Flub fan and admitted White Sox hater.

iamkoza
06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
i dont get why more people don't like B&B on the score, who reallyneeds to hear "expert" opinions on sports everytime you drive home? Personally i already have my views on most everything, and knowing that these radio hosts know little more than i, i really could care less what they think. i do enjoy a more light hearted sports talk, more so than repeating the same thing over and over, especially on topics that I don;t need advice from radio idiots.

BeeBeeRichard
06-21-2006, 02:17 PM
I'll thankfully not be near a radio at 3 p.m. today, but I would be willing to bet that if McMoron is allowed on the air today he will play the toupee card on this column's author. As if making fun of someone's appearance will really move the ball forward.

DaleJRFan
Jurko can go too.

He knows football and NASCAR, that's it.

I don't need any more White Sox analysis from a guy that is a Flub fan and admitted White Sox hater.

He may know football, but I can tell you, he doesn't know JACK**** about NASCAR. He is nothing more than a casual NASCAR fan who happens to have a radio show.

TornLabrum
i dont get why more people don't like B&B on the score, who reallyneeds to hear "expert" opinions on sports everytime you drive home? Personally i already have my views on most everything, and knowing that these radio hosts know little more than i, i really could care less what they think. i do enjoy a more light hearted sports talk, more so than repeating the same thing over and over, especially on topics that I don;t need advice from radio idiots.

Here's one reason I don't like B&B:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3172

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Here's one reason I don't like B&B:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3172
Oh no not that "article" again. It just won't die.

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Oh no not that "article" again. It just won't die.

Not with all the free plugs you keep giving it.

PatK
06-21-2006, 04:54 PM
He may know football, but I can tell you, he doesn't know JACK**** about NASCAR. He is nothing more than a casual NASCAR fan who happens to have a radio show.

I stand corrected!