PDA

View Full Version : New York, New York, New York

thomas35forever
06-20-2006, 01:15 PM
All right, we all know there's gonna be at least 4 Yankees starting for the AL in the all-star game. Now, there are 5 Mets in the lead for NL spots. What the hell is this??? This is an MLB All-Star Game, not a ****ing New York City All-Star Game!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

MUsoxfan
06-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, I can sorta see how there would be that many Mets on that All-Star team. They're in 1st place in a really bad NL.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, I can sorta see how there would be that many Mets on that All-Star team. They're in 1st place in a really bad NL.

Agreed. I don't mind seeing the Mets succeed. The Yankees, on the other hand...

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2006, 01:37 PM
The Sox play the Yankees right after the ASG. Leave um in and wear um down then go in and kick some ass!

QCIASOXFAN
06-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, I can sorta see how there would be that many Mets on that All-Star team. They're in 1st place in a really bad NL. I am kinda glad some Mets are actually getting in, they never send a lot of people to the game. I'm sure, Robinson Cano is like the leading vote getter for 2b? Give me a ****ing break!

MrX
06-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Sutcliffe and Thorne gave their AL picks last night and both of them, like most of the ESPN staff, apparently haven't watched any baseball outside of the AL East.

Vlad was the only player on Sutcliffe's list not from the AL East that I can remember, he even had Varitek as the catcher.

Thorne had Gooch at 2nd and Sutcliffe ripped the selection.

They both said Halladay should start.

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Sutcliffe and Thorne gave their AL picks last night and both of them, like most of the ESPN staff, apparently haven't watched any baseball outside of the AL East.

Vlad was the only player on Sutcliffe's list not from the AL East that I can remember, he even had Varitek as the catcher.

Was Sutcliffe sober?

oeo
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM

They don't get to make that decision, muahahahahah. :D:

JorgeFabregas
06-20-2006, 02:25 PM

Anyone who doesn't think Joe Mauer should be the starting catcher needs their head examined.

Lip Man 1
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Thomas:

The game is a popularity contest and a farce since the fans were allowed to have a vote again. It wasn't always like this.

Who cares. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Frankly I'd rather see all the Sox players get the three rest days (or in the Sox case four...since they are off I think that Thursday!)

Lip

paciorek1983
06-20-2006, 05:35 PM
All right, we all know there's gonna be at least 4 Yankees starting for the AL in the all-star game. Now, there are 5 Mets in the lead for NL spots. What the hell is this??? This is an MLB All-Star Game, not a ****ing New York City All-Star Game!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Maybe the votes should be weighted. A player from a small market team that gets a vote actually counts more for a player than a player from a big market team. It's riduculous how we see so many Yankees and Red Sox every year.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Maybe the votes should be weighted. A player from a small market team that gets a vote actually counts more for a player than a player from a big market team. It's riduculous how we see so many Yankees and Red Sox every year.

I just think there should be no more than one starter from each team- the expection being if a positon player and the game's starting pitcher are from the same team. Otherwise, no more than one per team.

Oblong
06-20-2006, 07:06 PM
I think the fan voting has gotten too silly and the league should come up with another way. I know they will never do it. I grew up in the 80s and I don't remember this kind of silliness going on with the fan voting. The starters, for the most part, deserved it.

Especially considering that home field in the World Series comes out of this. You can't let the fans vote a team onto the field for a game that determines something real.

Give the fans 1/3 of the vote, the players 1/3, and the managers,coaches, GMs 1/3 to decide the starters. Then let the manager pick the rest. I never had a problem with a manager picking his own guys though. That's a perk for winning.

But that's all wishful thinking. Selig doesn't want to 'take anything away' from the fans and he sure doesn't want to tick of Fox by getting rid of their "This time it counts" slogan.

Zisk77
06-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Since we have interleague play now, do we really need an All Star game?

mike detroit
06-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Since we have interleague play now, do we really need an All Star game?

good point. I still see a point to the game itself, but this whole deciding home field for the world series thing is ridiculous and stupid.

Thome25
06-25-2006, 09:03 AM
They need to change the voting system and take the fans out of the equation.

They should proabably have the all-star starters picked by their peers and then the reserves get picked by the coaching staffs.

Jurr
06-25-2006, 12:54 PM
Damn the midsummer classic. We're worried about the FALL classic, where I have sincere doubts that the New York market will be represented.

Chips
06-25-2006, 02:15 PM
I just think there should be no more than one starter from each team- the expection being if a positon player and the game's starting pitcher are from the same team. Otherwise, no more than one per team.
Why? The fans get to vote. If you want your players in there, vote for them.

Have the system changed where players and coaches pick all the players then.

SOXSINCE'70
06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
The Sox play the Yankees right after the ASG. Leave um in and wear um down then go in and kick some ass!

My sentiments exactly!! A tired Yankmees club could give the White Sox
their first sweep at "the Stadium":rolleyes: in 6 years.

Gavin
06-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Why? The fans get to vote. If you want your players in there, vote for them.

Have the system changed where players and coaches pick all the players then.

Exactly. If the system decides it should be determined by fans voting, then don't blame the fans, blame the system.

diamondhead
06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't mind if All-Star selections were taking out of the fans hands. At this point you'd really only be punishing the ballot box stuffers in New York & Boston.