PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Joy! It Still Counts!

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 02:08 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2492647)

What will it take to get Bud Selig and Donald Fehr deported?

SoxFan78
06-20-2006, 02:19 PM
It makes complete sense that the Boston Red Sox/ New York Yankees vs. The New York Mets should decide who gets home field advantage in the World Series!

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
Maybe it should be blacked out?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AhWVpUsJZ80ESutS9WWZud4RvLYF?slug=jp-blackouts061906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SOXPHILE
06-20-2006, 02:48 PM
http://www.nndb.com/people/226/000025151/bud_soda-crop.jpghttp://newsinfo.iu.edu/pub/libs/images/usr/281.jpg

"We are MORONS, tried and true ! Now we'll do our yell for you.....DUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!"

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 03:17 PM
http://www.nndb.com/people/226/000025151/bud_soda-crop.jpghttp://newsinfo.iu.edu/pub/libs/images/usr/281.jpg

"We are MORONS, tried and true ! Now we'll do our yell for you.....DUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!"

:rolling:

Where is that picture of Selig from?

Irishsox1
06-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Before it wasn't that much better with it switching back and forth every year. That ticked me off a lot more than the current system. The Yankees had home field advantage in 1996, 1998 & 2000, just because it was the American leagues turn. Under the old system, the White Sox would have opened the World Series in Houston....so, the change helped the Sox. I like the new system.

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Before it wasn't that much better with it switching back and forth every year. That ticked me off a lot more than the current system. The Yankees had home field advantage in 1996, 1998 & 2000, just because it was the American leagues turn. Under the old system, the White Sox would have opened the World Series in Houston....so, the change helped the Sox. I like the new system.

But the new system has the ASG alternated each year but the WS home field advantage is determined by an ASG that's home field is alternated every year???:kukoo:

Lip Man 1
06-20-2006, 03:35 PM
The All Popularity Contest is no longer alternated every season. Proud To Be Your Bud usurped that. The game is in Pittsburgh in 2006 and San Francisco in 2007. Bud is using the All Popularity Farce has a ploy to get teams to build new stadiums. (i.e. 'if you don't build it, the game won't come...)

Lip

Tekijawa
06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
the White Sox would have opened the World Series in Houston....so, the change helped the Sox. I like the new system.

Yeah, it would have been real bad for the team to win on home Turf, I'm sure Chicago would have burned down again if it had been held here...

I don't see how it helped the Sox??:?:

Chicken Dinner
06-20-2006, 03:46 PM
The All Popularity Contest is no longer alternated every season. Proud To Be Your Bud usurped that. The game is in Pittsburgh in 2006 and San Francisco in 2007. Bud is using the All Popularity Farce has a ploy to get teams to build new stadiums. (i.e. 'if you don't build it, the game won't come...)

Lip

Wow!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2005/m02/d08/c940943.jsp

TDog
06-20-2006, 03:55 PM

Lip

There are 16 NL teams and 14 AL teams. If the All-Star Game is alternated the teams in baseball, it should be in NL cities 8 out of 15 years and 16 out of 30 years.

And frankly, I'd like to see the Cubs blackmailed into building a new stadium.

I really don't see what the problem is with having the ASG determine which league has World Series home-field advantage. After the first three innings, players who belong thee are in the game anyway. It's less arbitrary than alternating, flipping a coin or going by best regular season record.

bluestar
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I would like to see MLB base home field advantage for the World Series on which league has the most wins in interleague play. Baseball has always valued the marathon over the sprint. It isn't right to base something as important as home field advantage in the World Series on the outcome of one otherwise meaningless game.

Baby Fisk
06-20-2006, 04:24 PM
How about if the team with the better regular season record got home advantage?

StockdaleForVeep
06-20-2006, 04:59 PM
:rolling:

Where is that picture of Selig from?

Hahaha, its like one of those incriminating file photo snapshots
like in simpsons of Moe walking from an outhouse barefoot and with drawstring pants

SoxFanPrope
06-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah, thank you. You have 162 regular season games to decide which team deserves 4 out of 7 games in the World Series at home. I've refused to watch any All-Star game since the tie. My own silent protest I suppose. Are you still supposed to have one player from each team on the All-Star roster? Yeah, a game being decided by a pinch-hitter from the Royals facing a relief pitcher from the Rockies is a great way to decide which league should have home field.

Bud should be set out to pasture on this one thing alone.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Yeah, thank you. You have 162 regular season games to decide which team deserves 4 out of 7 games in the World Series at home. I've refused to watch any All-Star game since the tie. My own silent protest I suppose. Are you still supposed to have one player from each team on the All-Star roster? Yeah, a game being decided by a pinch-hitter from the Royals facing a relief pitcher from the Rockies is a great way to decide which league should have home field.

Bud should be set out to pasture on this one thing alone.

There are so many things that Selig has done to screw up the game of baseball. If he wants to make things right, he needs to do the following:

1. Reduce interleague play to one series against a cross-town/regional rival, and one series against a team from the opposing league, who finished with the same divisional rank the previous season. You're probably saying to yourself, "But there are different numbers of teams in each league." This can be fixed, however.

2. Contract the Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Move the Brewers back to the American League. This way, each league has fourteen teams.

3. Use the old two-divison format, with each division having seven teams. Thus, during interleague, each first place team plays a first place team from the other league, based on the standings from the previous season, like they do in the NFL to determine part of the schedule.

Baby Fisk
06-20-2006, 05:49 PM
There are so many things that Selig has done to screw up the game of baseball. If he wants to make things right, he needs to do the following:

1. Reduce interleague play to one series against a cross-town/regional rival, and one series against a team from the opposing league, who finished with the same divisional rank the previous season. You're probably saying to yourself, "But there are different numbers of teams in each league." This can be fixed, however.

2. Contract the Florida Marlins and Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Move the Brewers back to the American League. This way, each league has fourteen teams.

3. Use the old two-divison format, with each division having seven teams. Thus, during interleague, each first place team plays a first place team from the other league, based on the standings from the previous season, like they do in the NFL to determine part of the schedule.
You reckless madman! Who will think of the fans?!

DSpivack
06-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Not only that, use the DH in the All-Star game in NL parks. But it's just so thrilling to see Chris Carpenter strike out Jose Contreras! Or vice-versa.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 05:55 PM
You reckless madman! Who will think of the fans?!

The funny thing is, the numbers from my schedule work out perfectly.

Observe...

Chicago White Sox 2007 Schedule Plan =

(19 x 6) = 114 games against division opponents

(6 x 7) = 42 games against non-division opponents

(3 x 2) = 6 games against interleague opponents

= 162 games

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Not only that, use the DH in the All-Star game in NL parks. But it's just so thrilling to see Chris Carpenter strike out Jose Contreras! Or vice-versa.

I think the DH should be used in both leagues, as several others have stated in the other thread. That way, Frank Thomas can come home and play for the Cubs!

santo=dorf
06-20-2006, 06:59 PM
....because the team playing in the weaker league (2005 Cardinals, soon to be 2006 Mets) would always get the advantage.

I like seeing them play for something, and like seeing the AL beat the crap out of the NL in interleague and the All-Star game.

The NBA and NFL all star games are 1,325,232,346,246 times worse than the MLB ASG.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 07:17 PM
....because the team playing in the weaker league (2005 Cardinals, soon to be 2006 Mets) would always get the advantage.

I like seeing them play for something, and like seeing the AL beat the crap out of the NL in interleague and the All-Star game.

The NBA and NFL all star games are 1,325,232,346,246 times worse than the MLB ASG.

You're assuming that the Mets will reach the WS. What Baby Fisk is suggesting is that the remaining team with the best record gets homefield. The White Sox would have gotten it last season, for example.

santo=dorf
06-20-2006, 07:36 PM
You're assuming that the Mets will reach the WS. What Baby Fisk is suggesting is that the remaining team with the best record gets homefield. The White Sox would have gotten it last season, for example.
True, but is it fair at this point in time to say a win in the AL is worth as much as a win in the NL? Numerically yes, but the team that took the harder road should be rewarded IMO.

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 07:37 PM
True, but is it fair at this point in time to say a win in the AL is worth as much as a win in the NL? Numerically yes, but the team that took the harder road should be rewarded IMO.

I can understand that, but it's impossible to determine something like that mathematically. I suppose a strength of a schedule rating could be used, but then people would find a way to complain about that, too.

batmanZoSo
06-20-2006, 07:41 PM

I agree with that in principle, but the current way seems to be working fine for our cause. The superior AL just has to win one game and home field is ours.

SoxFanPrope
06-20-2006, 08:07 PM
The funny thing is, the numbers from my schedule work out perfectly.

Observe...

Chicago White Sox 2007 Schedule Plan =

(19 x 6) = 114 games against division opponents

(6 x 7) = 42 games against non-division opponents

(3 x 2) = 6 games against interleague opponents

= 162 games
Yep, I'm sold. So much so I want to buy stock in it and misreport our earnings. Perhaps I just do not know the schedules but does Cleveland or Detroit have to play St. Louis? Or, to use an NL team for example. Let's say the Mets play the Devil Rays, Orioles, Yankees, Pirates, Rockies, and Marlins. The Phillies instead have to play the Sox, Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, Detroit, and Cleveland. There is really no idea of parity in the baseball the way there is in the NFL. I'm not opposed to scrapping interleague all together.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-20-2006, 08:17 PM
This is for the good of the man below, not the good of baseball. :(:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1100000/images/_1102560_murdoch300.jpg

santo=dorf
06-20-2006, 08:37 PM
I can understand that, but it's impossible to determine something like that mathematically. I suppose a strength of a schedule rating could be used, but then people would find a way to complain about that, too.
Why not just pit their best guys against our best guys in a one game show down with the winner getting the extra home game in the WS? :cool:

RKMeibalane
06-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Why not just pit their best guys against our best guys in a one game show down with the winner getting the extra home game in the WS? :cool:

:tool

"That's a great idea. We should have a game like that."

TDog
06-21-2006, 05:04 AM
I don't see why designating the All-Star Game to determine home-field advantage annoys people so much. Comparing apples with oranges to and going with the team with the best record would be arbitrary, but potentially more unjust (a point people made in the previous thread on this topic)

Stop trying to apply the things other sports do to baseball. I actually had someone tell me the World Series should be held in one neutral city like the Super Bowl. Of course, baseball obviously is better than football because more White Sox fans got to see World Series games in Chicago last year than Bears fans got to see of their team when they went to the Super Bowl. The Bears earned the trip to the Super Bowl with the best record, I understand, and they didn't even play the darn game in Chicago. It's not like the NFL is two leagues playing with different sets of rules.

Baseball's two major leagues are unequal. It is rare that they are equal, and even when they are, there is no way to measure that. A World Series Game 7 rarely comes up. I have no problem with resting World Series home-field advantage on the All-Star Game.

ewokpelts
06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Having it alternate between leagues each year is JUST AS STUPID as having the ASG winner determine home field advantage.

There.... I said it. I like it the way it is now. It makes managers stay focused on winning, and avoid the little league mistakes that gave us the debacle in 2002.(Even without "this one counts", I know ozzie would play to win).
This also forces jagbags like Bonds to actually , you know.....play the game for more than one at-bat.... I like the fact that starters(who are voted by the fans, btw) play more than one inning now.....

Gene

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't see why designating the All-Star Game to determine home-field advantage annoys people so much.

Well, let's see: It's an exhibition game in which the starting lineup is determined by fans who have the right to vote multiple times. Last I looked, eight of the starters (meaning the entire starting lineup except pitcher) for the American League were Yankees and Red Sox. That tells you something right there.

FedEx227
06-21-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, let's see: It's an exhibition game in which the starting lineup is determined by fans who have the right to vote multiple times. Last I looked, eight of the starters (meaning the entire starting lineup except pitcher) for the American League were Yankees and Red Sox. That tells you something right there.
And my exact thoughts come out.

If the game is important then you have to remove fan voting because it will continue to be Yanks/Red Sox vs. Cardinals/Mets.

Yet, if its a game of the fans and we're allowed to vote whoever we want. Why should the Yanks/Red Sox decide the fate of the entire AL.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Having the All Star Game determine home field advantage for the World Series is as ridiculous as having the home run derby or old timers game (when they had old timers games which I would rather see than the "futures" game, home run derby and in fact the All Star Game itself - it is a more interesting exhibition - at least to me) determine home field advantage. Heck, the sausage race in Milwaukee might as well determine it.

Here is what baseball people have to say about this debacle:

Bobby Cox..."It's still an exhibition game, any way you cut that. I agree with a lot the commissioner's office does, but I just don't think they should give that advantage."

"I'm still a believer that it shouldn't count," he (Paul Konerko) said. "We play 162 games that count. That's what should decide who gets home-field advantage." "Some guy from some last-place team shouldn't have to be worrying about giving up a home run and then lose the game and blow home-field advantage for his league," he said. "The TV ratings, the money -- basically, it comes down to the dollar. It rules the day."

Ozzie is the only one who publically defended Selig's scheme (probably in deference to his boss JR) in the piece (basically saying it is great for the fans and for the White Sox because they won home field last season).

Home field is too important to be left to the whims of an exhibition contest with participants selected by fan balloting, Japanese internet users, unworthy players selected by the "one per team rule", the "pretty much everyone is going to play" rule, etc.. No road team has won a World Series Game 7 since 1979 (losing 8 straight since). It should be awarded to the team with the best record or the league with the best interleague record. Home field should be determined by actual games, not exhibition games.

MLB has to secure two cities (hotels and other arrangements) prior to the final league championship game. If you award home field to the team with the best record you are expanding the possible scenarios by one additional city at most (and if the two best records are in the same league you are in the same boat as you are in now).

russ99
06-21-2006, 01:12 PM

And as Ozzie is the manager of that team, he can yank all those Red Cub/Yankmee chumps and play a real team as of the 3rd inning. If Contereras starts (he better!), the BOS/NY team shouldn't be far behind, unless there's some kind of Sammy Sosa laziness as in Houston 2 years ago.

Still, I'm gonna vote for the Sox 25 times on each of my considerable amount of e-mail accounts this weekend.

Max Power
06-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I would like to see MLB base home field advantage for the World Series on which league has the most wins in interleague play.

I like that idea. Sure, the AL should easily win the ASG, but anything can happen in one game. The AL beating the crap out of the NL during the season should count for something.