PDA

View Full Version : How can anyone compete with George

Paulwny
02-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Even with a payroll > $130 mil King George will make more $$$ then ever. All this, plus it doesn't included ticket sales. The last 2 paragraphs tell it all.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-yes082580487feb08.story?coll=ny%2Dbaseball%2Dheadl ines

Paulwny
02-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Oh Yea, I forgot, taxpayers of NY build me an $800 mil stadium so I can make more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

czalgosz
02-08-2002, 11:34 AM
I thought Bloomberg nixed that new stadium deal.

But the other owners can't compete with Steinbrenner, that's the whole point.

Paulwny
02-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I thought Bloomberg nixed that new stadium deal.

But the other owners can't compete with Steinbrenner, that's the whole point.

The stadiums are on hold because of 9-11 or construction would have started this year. Eventually the yankmees and mets will get their $800 mil play pens.

bringbackrobin
02-08-2002, 03:35 PM
I'm not so sure. Guliani seemed particularly obsessed about building stadiums, something Bloomberg (or the city council) doesn't seem to share. And its not like the Mets or Yankees can make a credible threat to move like, say, the Padres or White Sox could. I doubt that we'll see a billion dollar public stadium venture in New York any time soon.

Besides, it is difficult for New York City to campaign for federal relief if it is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on baseball teams.

Dadawg_77
02-08-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
I'm not so sure. Guliani seemed particularly obsessed about building stadiums, something Bloomberg (or the city council) doesn't seem to share. And its not like the Mets or Yankees can make a credible threat to move like, say, the Padres or White Sox could. I doubt that we'll see a billion dollar public stadium venture in New York any time soon.

Besides, it is difficult for New York City to campaign for federal relief if it is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on baseball teams.

From what I read, Bloomburg believes in the free market system strongly. One of his first acts in office was to stop 18 million dollar freebie to Bloomburg LTC from New York City. He is also trying to stop or restrict the deal with NYSE over the relocation of the NYSE, a deal that may end up costing the city billions.

Paulwny
02-08-2002, 03:52 PM
A few years ago George talked about the possibility of relocating to NJ if something wasn't done about the stadium.
The Giants and Jets are in NJ. The Buff. Bills are the only NFL team in NY State.

bringbackrobin
02-08-2002, 07:11 PM
But how many fans in Queens are going to make the hike over to New Jersey to see the Mets on a thursday afternoon? Getting New Yorkers to 8 Jets home games is a lot different than getting them to come out to 81 home Yankees games.

And not to bring hersay into the discussion, but I read the other day that the political climate in New Jersey would be very opposed to a major publicly funded stadium. If

Paulwny
02-08-2002, 07:15 PM
I don't think King George is the type to make idle threats.
In 2-3 yrs. he will have a new stadium.