PDA

View Full Version : Gamesmenship?

Lip Man 1
06-19-2006, 11:51 PM
Interesting blurb in tonight's Mark Gonzales / Tribune story previewing the Sox / Cards series:

"The St. Louis Cardinals needn't worry about having to take cold showers at U.S. Cellular Field during their three-game interleague series with the White Sox that begins Tuesday night.

That happened to the National League Central leaders on their last trip to Chicago, when they visited Wrigley Field earlier this season."

Either that's 'gamesmenship' or The Urinal is falling apart even faster then folks are saying.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
06-20-2006, 01:21 AM
It was 35-40 degrees on Opening Day with wind chills below freezing. I was there and I remember reading about this the following day. Bush league.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060407cubsgamer,1,2505539.story?coll=cs-cubs-navigation

ComiskeyBrewer
06-20-2006, 02:07 AM
It was 35-40 degrees on Opening Day with wind chills below freezing. I was there and I remember reading about this the following day. Bush league.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060407cubsgamer,1,2505539.story?coll=cs-cubs-navigation

What do you expect? The cubs know they can't beat a decent team any other way.

Steelrod
06-20-2006, 08:27 AM
...maybe 'cause there's nothing "hot" at the Urinal!

McCuddy
06-20-2006, 09:35 AM
Actually, I liked the paragraph near the bottom...

Wrigley was a repository for booing last year. The atmosphere has undoubtedly changed the last few seasons because of higher expectations and a less forgiving fan base. But Friday's crowd reaction could be an indication that Barrett's plea for more support and less booing did not fall on deaf ears.

Nice to see THAT lasted.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 10:43 AM

I dont think its bush at all. Teams in all sports have been doing things like this for years. You dont want the visiting team being comfy.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I dont think its bush at all. Teams in all sports have been doing things like this for years. You dont want the visiting team being comfy.

The Sox used to freeze baseball. It's not that far an extension of the concept to start freezing visiting teams.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 10:58 AM
The Sox used to freeze baseball. It's not that far an extension of the concept to start freezing visiting teams.

Teams have done all sorts of things to make for a disadvantage to visiting teams. The White Sox years ago, when Ricky Henderson was a stud, would make the area at first base a mud puddle so Henderson couldnt get good jumps to steal bases:D:

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Teams have done all sorts of things to make for a disadvantage to visiting teams. The White Sox years ago, when Ricky Henderson was a stud, would make the area at first base a mud puddle so Henderson couldnt get good jumps to steal bases:D:

Don't forget "Lake Bossard" in front of home plate.

Ol' No. 2
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't forget "Lake Bossard" in front of home plate.The difference is, all those things affect both teams equally. I would think the league would take a dim view of deliberately turning off the hot water in the visitors' clubhouse.

fquaye149
06-20-2006, 11:11 AM
...maybe 'cause there's nothing "hot" at the Urinal!

:o:surely you're not forgetting da hot babes in da bleachers!!!!:whiner:

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
The difference is, all those things affect both teams equally. I would think the league would take a dim view of deliberately turning off the hot water in the visitors' clubhouse.

yeah if your team has a player that is stealing 100 bases a year. Which the Sox didnt. So its going to affect Rickys team alot more.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
The difference is, all those things affect both teams equally. I would think the league would take a dim view of deliberately turning off the hot water in the visitors' clubhouse.

There have also been stories of teams turning the AC off in the visiting clubhouses so players on those teams couldnt go cool down between innings on hot days.

Ol' No. 2
06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
yeah if your team has a player that is stealing 100 bases a year. Which the Sox didnt. So its going to affect Rickys team alot more.True, but both teams play on the same field. They don't use the same showers.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 11:32 AM
True, but both teams play on the same field. They don't use the same showers.

You dont know that LOL (I hope that came up in teal my monitors freaking out on me with color)

SouthSide_HitMen
06-20-2006, 01:45 PM

As someone who had their water heater break during the Thanksgiving Day Holiday and had to take cold showers in similar weather, I disagree. Letting the infield grass grow or watering down the basepaths or freezing baseballs is gamesmanship. Deliberately making people exposed to below freezing weather for the past 4 - 5 hours take 40 degree showers is inhumane.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 01:50 PM
As someone who had their water heater break during the Thanksgiving Day Holiday and had to take cold showers in similar weather, I disagree. Letting the infield grass grow or watering down the basepaths or freezing baseballs is gamesmanship. Deliberately making people exposed to below freezing weather for the past 4 - 5 hours take 40 degree showers is inhumane.

SHower at the hotel then. How is letting the grass grow longer or watering down basepaths or freezing baseballs, gamesmanship? Its saying to me we cant beat the other team fair and square.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-20-2006, 02:03 PM
SHower at the hotel then. How is letting the grass grow longer or watering down basepaths or freezing baseballs gamesmanship? Its saying to me we cant beat the other team fair and square.

The water was normal for the first few minutes and then "mysteriously" shut off. It is bush league period. What is next - a salmonella laden postgame spread? No electricity? A rat filled locker room? (oh wait that is already the standard at The Urinal).

The other techniques are part of being the home team - does your team prefer long or short grass in the infield, does your team run or bunt regularly, etc. which affect both teams equally. Roger Bossard and his family have altered Comiskey Park to benefit White Sox teams for generations which is why he receives one of the largest ovations when the entire team / staff is announced on Opening Day and in the playoffs & World Series.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 02:13 PM
The water was normal for the first few minutes and then "mysteriously" shut off. It is bush league period. What is next - a salmonella laden postgame spread?

The other techniques are part of being the home team - does your team prefer long or short grass in the infield, does your team run or bunt regularly, etc. which affect both teams equally. Roger Bossard and his family have altered Comiskey Park to benefit White Sox teams for generations which is why he receives one of the largest ovations when the entire team / staff is announced on Opening Day and in the playoffs & World Series.

So I guess we agree on one thing,that yes Bossard and his family are some of the best in the business and deserve all our accolades, and that leaving the water on a little too long just for certain three or four games a year is perfectly honest and fair to someone like Ricky Henderson and whatever team he was on. Yes, I also agree with you that it affects both teams but not if one team is a running team and the other is a hit + walk, then wait for a 3 run homer team

Ol' No. 2
06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
So I guess we agree on one thing,that yes Bossard and his family are some of the best in the business and deserve all our accolades, and that leaving the water on a little too long just for certain three or four games a year is perfectly honest and fair to someone like Ricky Henderson and whatever team he was on. Yes, I also agree with you that it affects both teams but not if one team is a running team and the other is a hit + walk, then wait for a 3 run homer teamYankee Stadium was built with a short RF porch specifically for Babe Ruth. As long as both teams play on the same field, it's home field advantage. If neither team is getting hot water, it's home field advantage. If the visitor's hot water is shut off and not the home team's it's bush league.

soxfan13
06-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Yankee Stadium was built with a short RF porch specifically for Babe Ruth. As long as both teams play on the same field, it's home field advantage. If neither team is getting hot water, it's home field advantage. If the visitor's hot water is shut off and not the home team's it's bush league.

Will someone please point and show me the proof that it was shut off intentionally and its not a case of an ancient building with plumbing problems.

Also back to the watering down the base paths. Do you guys really think they would make firstbase a swamp if Pods where on those teams that played Henderson? I would say no because it is of no advantage to do that then.

God it is really hurting my head trying to defend the FLUBBIES:gulp:

I dont disagree with everyone playing on the same terms, but I am old school on not making visiting teams feel at home. I will have to research this good but I do recall reading old time managers saying that with all these new stadiums being built the home lockers are a little tooo pampering to the players.

SBSoxFan
06-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I dont disagree with everyone playing on the same terms, but I am old school on not making visiting teams feel at home. I will have to research this good but I do recall reading old time managers saying that with all these new stadiums being built the home lockers are a little tooo pampering to the players.
Visiting locker rooms should be painted pink (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2174828)!

JohnTucker0814
06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
The one and only Hayden Fry Pink Locker Room... they even painted the "urinals" pink... how great is that. Gotta love Iowa!

SouthSide_HitMen
06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Will someone please point and show me the proof that it was shut off intentionally and its not a case of an ancient building with plumbing problems.

The team didn't mention anything about pluming issues in their article bragging about their "gamemanship" which is linked above. If it was a plumbing issue I would think the team would have mentioned it either in their newspaper or in a sincere apology to the Cardinals organization. None was forthcoming (at least publically).

daveeym
06-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Visiting locker rooms should be painted pink (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2174828)! Oh no you didn't. That's all I'll say along with the search button is your friend for learning the history of that story and this sight. :redneck