PDA

View Full Version : Tigers watch 6/19/06

CHISOXFAN13
06-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Mid-six in Milwaukee and the game is scoreless.

Bonderman has 10 strikeouts, while Brewers starter Doug Davis has fanned seven.

CHISOXFAN13
06-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Two more strikeouts for Bonderman and they move to the seventh...

mccoydp
06-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Man, this is going to be interesting...

Roids Rodriguez w/fly-out in the top of the 7th.

Maggs up now...

mccoydp
06-19-2006, 08:46 PM
K for Maggs.

Davis with 8 Ks so far to Bonderman's 12.

mccoydp
06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Doug Davis about to screw it up...let's hope he doesn't.

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Shelton Ks and strands two.

Stretch time...

CHISOXFAN13
He gone!

Meat of the order coming up for the Brew Crew.

mccoydp
Continued from my previous post: Guess not. Good job to work out of a mess. Tigers had a good chance to score with Bonderman's twin brother up at bat.

Chips
06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
1-0

mccoydp
06-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Sweet! Prince Fielder with a HR!

1-0 Brew Crew!

Fuller_Schettman
06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I Love You, Alice B. Toklas!!!

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Are Lurch, Kevin Mench, Chris Shelton and the corpus-mortificating albino (Paul Bettany) from DaVinci Code all related in some type of Kevin Bacon-6 Degrees of Separation way?

What next, Gertrude Stein and William Carlos Williams poetry hour?

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Sweet! Prince Fielder with a HR!

1-0 Brew Crew!
Fielder is a beast.

Jenkins doubles. Bonderman getting hit around now.

Hitmen77
06-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Regarless of whether Tigers win or lose, it's amazing to see the contrast in them playing a pathetically bad team vs. playing a halfway decent team. This will be an interesting series between two good teams.

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 09:03 PM
After intentionally walking Clark, Bonderman throws a 5-pitch walk to pinch hitter Gabe Gross.

Bases juiced for Weeks...

CHISOXFAN13
06-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Milwaukee has a chance to bust this thing open. Weeks up with the bases loaded and two outs.

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
...and Weeks grounds out softly to Bonderman on the first offering.

:rolleyes:

CHISOXFAN13
06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Milwaukee has a chance to bust this thing open. Weeks up with the bases loaded and two outs.

So much for that.

SCarolina_Ron
06-19-2006, 09:11 PM
tied 1-1 errors!:angry:

mccoydp
06-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Well, ain't that the ****?

The Brewers missed a golden opportunity last inning to inflict some additional damage, but muffed it up.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
And so much for the lead.

Well, Davis' pitch count was over 100, and you have to PH for a pitcher at that point in the ballgame, the guy is not Jose Contreras, he has a 5 plus ERA.

mccoydp
06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Gotta keep this one tied this inning...we all know how the Tiggers are in late innings as of late.

Fuller_Schettman
06-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Regarless of whether Tigers win or lose, it's amazing to see the contrast in them playing a pathetically bad team vs. playing a halfway decent team. This will be an interesting series between two good teams.

They have to really be frustrated. They go 6-1 against two of the worst teams in baseball while the team chasing them has 7 games against a division leader and a league wild card leader and they don't gain a single game in the standings!

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 09:18 PM
White Sox are 5.5 games up now on the Yankees for the WC....thatīs reassuring too.

Hard to get pitching, so the Yankees will have to upgrade the outfield...hello C-Lee. That would be tough to take, him hitting bombs against the Sox. I guess itīs no worse than Magglio.

oeo
06-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Okay, Bonderman isn't this good, score some runs. Geesh.

And please, enough of the Wild Card talk. Talk about the Wild Card 2 months from now, not right now.

CHISOXFAN13
06-19-2006, 09:22 PM

Well he's done, so that's a good thing.

CHISOXFAN13
06-19-2006, 09:24 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry:

SCarolina_Ron
3-1 kitties:angry:

oeo
Well he's done, so that's a good thing.

Well, now that they're down by 2 runs, I don't see them making a comeback.

The Tigers are not that good, why can't any of these mediocre teams beat them?

santo=dorf
06-19-2006, 09:26 PM

And please, enough of the Wild Card talk. Talk about the Wild Card 2 months from now, not right now.
We're talking about the National League here.

Also, that Wild Card lead is really impressive for both the White Sox and the Tigers because usually a Wild Card team is lucky to win it at least 3 games ahead of the runner-up.

Fuller_Schettman
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Well, now that they're down by 2 runs, I don't see them making a comeback.

The Tigers are not that good, why can't any of these mediocre teams beat them?

Actually, they have come from behind to win in 20 of their 24 home wins...

oeo
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
I guess we're just going to have to slap them around ourselves. They're eventually going to lose some games to these mediocre clubs, and when they can't beat the good one's, they will fade. This has been a pretty easy stretch of 9 games for them.

SCarolina_Ron
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM

I agree it's much too early to talk wild card. The SOX are better than these guys and will take em head to head. I think there's 13 more games with them and I think we take at least 9-10 of 'em.

kittle42
06-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I am so damn tired of all this Tigers watch crap. It's too early in the season...the Sox need to concentrate on one thing - winning each game each day. Scoreboard watching is for Aug and Sept.

oeo
06-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I am so damn tired of all this Tigers watch crap. It's too early in the season...the Sox need to concentrate on one thing - winning each game each day. Scoreboard watching is for Aug and Sept.

True, but I've got nothing else to do. And a Tigers/Indians/Twins loss makes me happy no matter where they stand in the division.

SCarolina_Ron
06-19-2006, 09:58 PM

And off-days

Lip Man 1
06-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Detroit just doesn't lose to mediocre / bad teams. It's unbelieveable.

Lip

bluestar
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Detroit just doesn't lose to mediocre / bad teams. It's unbelieveable.

Lip

Exactly. That's the difference in the Tigers and Sox so far. The Tigers have beaten the sub-.500 teams consistently, and the Sox have appeared to be content to take 2 of 3, or in a few cases, 1 of 3.

JB98
06-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Exactly. That's the difference in the Tigers and Sox so far. The Tigers have beaten the sub-.500 teams consistently, and the Sox have appeared to be content to take 2 of 3, or in a few cases, 1 of 3.

Yet we are only one game behind them in the loss column. Unlike a lot of posters here, I do think Detroit is a serious postseason contender. Barring injuries, they aren't going to fade. However, I'm confident we can take them in head-to-head meetings, and that will be the difference.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Freakin Matt Wise is a Donkey. Brewers had this one, and Wise blows it. :angry:

ComiskeyBrewer
06-20-2006, 01:06 AM
And so much for the lead.

Well, Davis' pitch count was over 100, and you have to PH for a pitcher at that point in the ballgame, the guy is not Jose Contreras, he has a 5 plus ERA.

Thanks to this game his ERA is around 4.70. Had a tough year so far, and like always, a great outing by Davis goes for nothing.

QCIASOXFAN
06-20-2006, 01:33 AM
I was looking at the Tigers schedule and they have to visit the west coast in a couple of weeks, going to Oakland and Seattle before the break. I know Seattle blows but it can still be a tough place to play and Oakland is coming out of the woodwork like usual. I can see us in first by the break if we keep playing how we are.

WSox8404
06-20-2006, 03:32 AM
Is there a team out there that doesn't just want to ****ing roll over and die for the Tigers this year besides us? Jeez, unreal. I mean I can understand the Cubs because they just plain suck and couldn't beat a few college teams, but come on people. Somebody play some real baseball against them for once.

tebman
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Is there a team out there that doesn't just want to ****ing roll over and die for the Tigers this year besides us? Jeez, unreal. I mean I can understand the Cubs because they just plain suck and couldn't beat a few college teams, but come on people. Somebody play some real baseball against them for once.
I know what you mean and it makes me crazy too. The fact, though, is that the Tigers are simply a very good team so far this year. While it's true that all the breaks seem to go their way in a lot of games, I don't write off their opponents as pushovers.

About 20 years ago I went to a few of the old Chisox Club luncheons that were held downtown. Harrelson was the emcee and there were always a couple of Sox players and a player or two from the current visiting team as guest speakers. I think it was Mike Easler who was the out-of-town guest that day; he was asked if playing against a poor-performing team made his job any easier or changed his approach to the game. He understood the question and said, "No -- it's still major league." His went on to say that even the worst teams in any given season are still fierce competitors and can beat you at any time. The actual differences are slight between the best and the worst, and the difference is a combination of execution and luck.

The Tigers are executing well and they're lucky. But the Sox are too. This is going to be a great race this year (whether ESPN likes it or not :tongue:).

oeo
06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
I know what you mean and it makes me crazy too. The fact, though, is that the Tigers are simply a very good team so far this year. While it's true that all the breaks seem to go their way in a lot of games, I don't write off their opponents as pushovers.

About 20 years ago I went to a few of the old Chisox Club luncheons that were held downtown. Harrelson was the emcee and there were always a couple of Sox players and a player or two from the current visiting team as guest speakers. I think it was Mike Easler who was the out-of-town guest that day; he was asked if playing against a poor-performing team made his job any easier or changed his approach to the game. He understood the question and said, "No -- it's still major league." His went on to say that even the worst teams in any given season are still fierce competitors and can beat you at any time. The actual differences are slight between the best and the worst, and the difference is a combination of execution and luck.

The Tigers are executing well and they're lucky. But the Sox are too. This is going to be a great race this year (whether ESPN likes it or not :tongue:).
Of course you don't approach it differently. But you're going to get more hits off of bad pitching, and catch more breaks against bad teams because they're going to make a lot of mistakes. They've played their last 8 games against mediocre to bad teams. The Devil Rays should have taken at least 2/4, but they screwed up the first game. I just do not see the Tigers in it for the long run, they have a winning record because they are winning against these bad teams. How long are they going to be able to keep this near perfect record against these bad teams (only lost 1)? Eventually it's going to even out, and they're going to lose games against the bad teams and they're going to have to beat the good one's to stay in the race. I still think they will be out of contention by August.

CHISOXFAN13
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Thanks, dad. I love baseball, and I start scoreboard watching on Opening Day. Sorry that pisses you off. Yawn.

When the Sox don't play, I'm certainly going to pay attention to the main competition.

WinOrDyeTrying
06-20-2006, 12:27 PM
A lot of you are saying "just sit back, the Sox will take it eventually", but that doesnt cut it with me. I work in Detroit :(

oeo
06-20-2006, 12:30 PM
A lot of you are saying "just sit back, the Sox will take it eventually", but that doesnt cut it with me. I work in Detroit :(

Well, all you have to do is tell them to shut their mouths.

1. We're 5-1 against them.
2. They're only up by 2 games. And 1 game is because they have played 2 more games than us.

jenn2080
06-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks, dad. I love baseball, and I start scoreboard watching on Opening Day. Sorry that pisses you off. Yawn.

When the Sox don't play, I'm certainly going to pay attention to the main competition.

I agree. Im sorry but people talked alot of **** about the Sox falling off last year and look what happened. We won the WS. The Tigers have not fallen off yet so a Tigers watch is more appropriate then a bull **** Media watch about a team that isnt even gonna win 80 games this year.

rookie
06-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Anyone noticed how ESPN showed the Wild Card standings yesterday night. I thought that was a little crazy. The only teams that should be thinking about the WC are the ones that have no hope, and anyone in contention should only be thinking about the division.

Hitmen77
06-20-2006, 01:41 PM

The Sox only took 2 out of 3 vs. the Cubs while the Tigers swept them. But we had to face Zambrano and Maddux while the Tigers had to face two AAA quality starters and another starter whose arm is about to fall off. Yes, the Tigers have played excellent baseball, but sometimes it's hard to make a direct comparison between teams we each have faced.

Hitmen77
06-20-2006, 01:46 PM
.... and despite:
- our inability to rack up huge win totals against bottom tier teams,
- hitting rough patches with our starting pitching
- having two starters hitting below .200
- costly defensive blunders
- bullpen problems.

Despite all this, the Sox have a .638 winning percentage. My reaction is Wow! Yes, the Tigers have a great team, but I think the Sox really have the potential to really rack up alot of wins this year. If the Sox just play to their potential, they'll be in the playoffs regardless of what the Tigers do.

I think the starting pitching is coming around to what we expect from them. Uribe and Anderson are showing signs of getting on track offensively. We have every reason to expect great defense from the likes of Uribe, Anderson, Iguchi, and Crede. The bullpen may still be our weak spot, but it's stabilizing. I'm comfortable with Jenks, Cotts, Thornton, McCarthy, and Riske.

davenicholson
06-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Oh my dear God. I spent a lot of time in Detroit and its suburbs during the mid/late 1990s.:(: You have my deepest, most sincere sympathies.

bluestar
06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
The Sox only took 2 out of 3 vs. the Cubs while the Tigers swept them. But we had to face Zambrano and Maddux while the Tigers had to face two AAA quality starters and another starter whose arm is about to fall off. Yes, the Tigers have played excellent baseball, but sometimes it's hard to make a direct comparison between teams we each have faced.

Oh, hey, I completely agree with you that the Tigers have caught some breaks with their pitching matchups. Another example was when we had to face Lee, Sabathia, and Westbrook, and Detroit came in right behind us and faced Byrd, Johnson, and Lee. I think over the course of the season, those things will even out. At least I hope they do.

SBSoxFan
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Oh, hey, I completely agree with you that the Tigers have caught some breaks with their pitching matchups. Another example was when we had to face Lee, Sabathia, and Westbrook, and Detroit came in right behind us and faced Byrd, Johnson, and Lee. I think over the course of the season, those things will even out. At least I hope they do.

I don't think they do. The series aren't staggered properly for it to even out over the season. Ideally, in a 19 game series you should face #s 1-4 in the rotation 4 times each and #5 in the rotation 3 times. For example, however, Sabathia has made 4 starts against the Sox in 12 games so far. He'll get at least 1 more and possibly 2. And all it takes is 1 game to miss the playoffs.