PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Disappointments...

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Cubs versus Indians, appropriately enough, tied 3-3

Do you guys see the Indians making any moves at the break if they fall any further behind?

The obvious one is to ditch Jason Johnson and put Carmona or Sowers in the starting rotation.

Do they look at dealing Byrd or Westbrook or keep them long-term? What about Wickman (who´s supposed to retire again this offseason).

They can´t do much with Peralta besides let him play through this. I suppose they could trade Boone to a contender, although Marte has not distinguished himself in AAA yet. Micheals really is more of a 4th OF and couldn´t get them much back if they wanted to deal him. Maybe Mota, although he too has been a disappointment.

They´re not going to deal Cabrera or Betancourt, of course.

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Blanco just hit a three run jack.

Man, what's gotten into that guy recently? Hitting machine.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Oops, just realized this should be in Talking Baseball instead.

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Oops, just realized this should be in Talking Baseball instead.

No, it shouldn't...

HotelWhiteSox
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
I called that Hafner home run.

Realized I hate both of these teams, hello Yankees/Phillies

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Cubs go up 8-4 on a 2 RBI double from Pierre.

...and with Walker up, Pierre is picked off.

:rolleyes:

Dan Mega
06-19-2006, 10:46 PM
It puts more distance from the Sox and Indians. I'll take it. Too bad they couldn't do this against the Tiggers.

oeo
06-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Blanco just hit a three run jack.

Man, what's gotten into that guy recently? Hitting machine.

He's upping his value so he can get out of there ASAP.

rookie
06-19-2006, 10:51 PM
Shouldn't Cleveland be better this year, with the hot way they almost ended the regular season last year? How do you come so close, and then not even really be close the next year. I hope that they don't expect to have a crazy September every year, just like we don't expect to win as many 1-run games and lead wire to wire, even though it was tons of fun!

oeo
06-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Shouldn't Cleveland be better this year, with the hot way they almost ended the regular season last year? How do you come so close, and then not even really be close the next year. I hope that they don't expect to have a crazy September every year, just like we don't expect to win as many 1-run games and lead wire to wire, even though it was tons of fun!

When you bring back a worse rotation and bullpen...

The "Executive of the Year" really screwed up. Just another reason Kenny should have won last year.

ilsox7
06-19-2006, 10:55 PM

They lost their best starter and depleted their bullpen. Not a formula for success.

Jose.Contreras
06-19-2006, 11:07 PM
Is Cleveland really THIS bad? I mean they trail the absolute joke of a baseball team, the Chico Cubs 12-4 AT HOME!?! This is the same Cub team that looked like they couldn't win a a pony "B" league game after their performance against the Tigers this past weekend. So what does this say about the Tribe? They are now gonna be 31-38 and 15 games behind Detroit for first and 13 behind the Sox in second. I know they came on super-Strong last season (and actually trailed by as many as 15 games at one point) but to me I think they are toast this season. No way do they even make a semi-threat at the playoffs this year. Don't get me wrong here, I love it. Losing to the Cubs this badly??? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Who knew the Tribe would be this horrendous but the Detroit Tigers would be 47-24 at this point of the season!?!? Damn-it. Why can't Detroit be a .500 ballclub like we all expected? Oh well. I guess we'll just pull away from them later on this year. I see the Sox winning 100 and the Tigers with 95. Clevelend.......finishes with 78 wins. :tongue:

Your thoughts?

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-19-2006, 11:09 PM
I was gunna make a "Hey cubs, thanks alot for saving all your runs for the Jndjans" thread but I decided not to.

jdm2662
06-19-2006, 11:16 PM
The difference between last year and this year is that the Indians pitched well. They just weren't hitting in the first half. Kevin Millwood won the ERA title, and he was rewarded with a 9-12 record. Their bullpen was pretty good as well. This year, no Millwood+pathetic bullpen=no run this year. They still have a great line-up, but it's hard to put up 8 runs a game on a consistant basis...

StockdaleForVeep
06-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Is Cleveland realtly THIS bad? I mean they trail the absolute joke of a baseball team, the Chico Cubs 12-4 AT HOME!?! This is the same Cub team that looked like they couldn't win a a pony "B" league game after their performance against the Tigers this past weekend. So what does this say about the Tribe? They are now gonna be 31-38 and 15 games behind Detroit for first and 13 behind the Sox in second. I know they came on super-Strong last season (and actually trailed by as many as 15 games at one point) but to me I think they are toast this season. No way do they even make a semi-threat at the playoffs this year. Don't get me wrong here, I love it. Losing to the Cubs this badly??? HAHAHAHAHAHA. Who knew the Tribe would be this horrendous but the Detroit Tigers would be 47-24 at this point of the season!?!? Damn-it. Why can't Detroit be a .500 ballclub like we all expected? Oh well. I guess we'll just pull away from them later on this year. I see the Sox winning 100 and the Tigers with 95. Clevelend.......finishes with 78 wins. :tongue:

Your thoughts?

Yeah and the marlins and devilrays are AAAA level teams, every team wins a game here and there

Scottiehaswheels
06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
if they come back with 9 in the 9th I don't know whether to just die laughing or cry?

Frankfan4life
06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Apparently, they haven't finished choking from last season. I just hope Cleveland continues to suck when we play them but I want them to play well against the Tiggers.

Meanwhile, they've come back to within 4 runs of the cubs.

Epark84
06-19-2006, 11:33 PM
the sox havent been great against them. sabathia and westbrook are untouchable for some reason when they pitch against us

oeo
06-19-2006, 11:36 PM
the sox havent been great against them. sabathia and westbrook are untouchable for some reason when they pitch against us

Sabathia is a real good pitcher, I can see that. Why we can't nail Westbrook is what confuses me...

Lip Man 1
06-19-2006, 11:43 PM
I just never understood all the 'love' directed towards the Indians. When you in essence trade Millwood / Elarton for Byrd / Johnson AND lose half of a good bullpen that's a significant downturn.

Pitching wins pennants. Cleveland lost a lot of theirs. They are now paying for their folly.

Lip

bluestar
06-19-2006, 11:48 PM
The Sox have had the misfortune of having to face their top three - Lee, Sabathia and Westbrook - almost every time they have played. Lee has struggled at times, but those three are usually tough. Once you get to Byrd and Johnson, though, they become a much easier team to beat. They basically traded Millwood and Elarton for Byrd and Johnson - a downgrade on both accounts, IMO. Cleveland does not have the pitching to make a run this year like they did last year.

JB98
06-20-2006, 12:12 AM
The Sox have had the misfortune of having to face their top three - Lee, Sabathia and Westbrook - almost every time they have played. Lee has struggled at times, but those three are usually tough. Once you get to Byrd and Johnson, though, they become a much easier team to beat. They basically traded Millwood and Elarton for Byrd and Johnson - a downgrade on both accounts, IMO. Cleveland does not have the pitching to make a run this year like they did last year.

No question. Minnesota is more likely to make a run than Cleveland. The Tribe is getting whipped by NL Central teams. In addition to Cleveland's decline in pitching, it doesn't seem like there are a lot of good feelings in that clubhouse. The Tribe just can't get its **** together this year. Fine by me. One less team to worry about.

QCIASOXFAN
06-20-2006, 12:16 AM
I agree, for some reason they are just not as good as they should be. That is alright with me though :tongue:

California Sox
06-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Johnson and Byrd are not long for that rotation. First up will be Jeremy Sowers, a Buerhle type who has been absolutely sick in AAA. That said, hard to imagine them leap-frogging three teams who are all playing well to get back into the race.

JB98
06-20-2006, 12:19 AM
Johnson and Byrd are not long for that rotation. First up will be Jeremy Sowers, a Buerhle type who has been absolutely sick in AAA. That said, hard to imagine them leap-frogging three teams who are all playing well to get back into the race.

Not with that middle-relief situation.

DSpivack
06-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Put some distance between us and them? Minny is doing that nicely--the Toons are a 4th place team.

MrX
06-20-2006, 12:48 AM
Don't forget they downgraded their outfield as well when they traded Crisp who always seemed to give the Sox problems.

MadetoOrta
06-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Don't forget they downgraded their outfield as well when they traded Crisp who always seemed to give the Sox problems.

No doubt. Coco Crisp was a pain in the arse!

QCIASOXFAN
06-20-2006, 02:25 AM
No doubt. Coco Crisp was a pain in the arse! I completely forgot about that bonehead move! I thought that getting rid of Millwood was retarded also.

dcb56
06-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Anyone think Eric Wedge's job may be in jeoprady?