PDA

View Full Version : Will KW give Alfonsenca a look?

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 06:57 PM
I wouldn´t consider this any crazier than Nelson, Mike Jackson or Jose Paniagua, lol.

He's only two years removed from a very solid season, although I haven't watched him pitch this season with the Rangers.

I think KW and OG prefer to go with the veteran types over the youngsters, in general, but Ozzie seems to like Montero a lot...enough to push Politte tentatively to the minors.

I bet you would have about even LV odds of who would have the better 2nd half ERA in the majors, Politte or Alfonseca? Plus it would give El Duque a Spanish speaking buddy on the staff with Marte, El Duque and Vizcaino all gone.

ilsox7
06-19-2006, 07:01 PM
I wouldn´t consider this any crazier than Nelson, Mike Jackson or Jose Paniagua, lol.

He's only two years removed from a very solid season, although I haven't watched him pitch this season with the Rangers.

I think KW and OG prefer to go with the veteran types over the youngsters, in general, but Ozzie seems to like Montero a lot...enough to push Politte tentatively to the minors.

I bet you would have about even LV odds of who would have the better 2nd half ERA in the majors, Politte or Alfonseca? Plus it would give El Duque a Spanish speaking buddy on the staff with Marte, El Duque and Vizcaino all gone.

I am guessing you meant Jose. Freddy and Javy both speak Spanish as their first language.

Tragg
06-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Isn't he your basic arsonist? Is he better than a mediocre Cliff?
He's a grass is always greener player; just a nondescript mediocre reliever

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 07:07 PM
How I forgot about them, I don´t know.

It seems like Garcia is always by himself in the dugout, maybe that´s just my perception.

Who does Jose spend most of him time sitting by in the dugout now? Cooper, lol?

Well, the A´s picked up Sauerbeck today and they´ve won 10 in a row, everyone is looking to improve their pitching in any possible way....even if it´s the old change of scenery theory. Who knows, Mark Prior would probably start throwing 94-96 with the Sox. I wonder if he will ever get that velocity back or his career is now officially doomed in a James Baldwin, Mike Sirotka type of way.

oeo
06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Who does Jose spend most of him time sitting by in the dugout now? Cooper, lol?
I've seen him sitting next to a ton of different guys. Pablo, Cintron, Garcia, Vazquez, and even Brian (not sure if they were talking to each other, but it's possible). I don't think we need to add friends for Jose, he's always laughing and smiling in the dugout from what I've seen. Besides, Montero can be your equivalent to Alfonseca, we don't need him.

Well, the A´s picked up Sauerbeck today and they´ve won 10 in a row, everyone is looking to improve their pitching in any possible way....even if it´s the old change of scenery theory. Who knows, Mark Prior would probably start throwing 94-96 with the Sox. I wonder if he will ever get that velocity back or his career is now officially doomed in a James Baldwin, Mike Sirotka type of way.
Sauerbeck couldn't even stay in that atrocious Indians pen, I don't think that improved the A's at all. And Mark Prior is pretty screwed up, thanks to the Cubs, so no thanks.

Kenny just made a move last week, and got Riske, how is he not trying to improve?

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Well, who knows. At least Alfonseca was not broadcasting and released in the spring, like Nelson. Obviously the Cards knew the fastball was gone and his slider alone was not enough to get the job done at this level.

Ozuna is quickly becoming the favorite of many White Sox fans...it will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Reminds me of when I was younger and a Matt Merullo and Shawn Abner fan (never a Cory Snyder or Sax fan though). I also have fond memories of Paco and Warren The Deacon Newson cutting and slashing.

Tragg
06-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Our bullpen has actually stabilized...sure it would be nice to have a lock-down pitcher there, but you won't find them with a Saurbeck, Alphonseca nor probably a Riske. Those types of pitchers are good to fill a complete void (like if we had Jackson or Rick White in there)....we con't have a complete void.
A change of scenery for a Suarbeck et al could bring them back to their mediocre usual form....but that's not what we need.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Well, the worst thing that would happen is he picks him up and sends him to AAA as insurance (like Nomo and Redding), although I do think there´s a good chance he will end up with another MLB team on the active roster. Maybe not.

HebrewHammer
06-19-2006, 11:54 PM
:KW
"I will go up to the six-fingered man and say, "Hello. My name is Kenny Williams. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

No thank you.

PicktoCLick72
06-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Besides, I think there is a clubhouse rule of having a max of 10 fingers.

DSpivack
06-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Or he signs him, sends him Charlotte, and later trades him for a real reliever!

Domeshot17
06-20-2006, 01:45 AM
Besides, I think there is a clubhouse rule of having a max of 10 fingers.

the Rule was implemented after Jim Abbott left, freaked too many people out. That really hurt the abbot protege in spring training haha. (This should be teal, but my monitor freaked out and is in black and white I will edit later).

I still remember jokes about Alfonseca gicing high 6's when he was a member of the cubs

SOXfnNlansing
06-20-2006, 05:04 AM
no thank you to the ex flub players

Ol' No. 2
06-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Why are other teams' dreck better than our dreck?:?:

PaulDrake
06-20-2006, 09:55 AM
No this is not a good idea.

slavko
06-20-2006, 12:36 PM
Why are other teams' dreck better than our dreck?:?:

It's my old "other guys bozos" rule. Except "El Polpo" has descended to below bozo status.

caulfield12
06-20-2006, 01:31 PM
But wouldn't you rather have Alfonseca in Montero's role (or Politte's, if he continues to pitch the way he has)? That is more the question than whether he sucks or not.

Tragg
06-20-2006, 02:21 PM
But wouldn't you rather have Alfonseca in Montero's role (or Politte's, if he continues to pitch the way he has)? That is more the question than whether he sucks or not.

No I would not. What makes you think that Alfonseca is better than Politte?

Ol' No. 2
06-20-2006, 03:38 PM
No I would not. What makes you think that Alfonseca is better than Politte?Or Montero. Or Nelson? Or Rick White?

Jose.Contreras
06-20-2006, 03:58 PM

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Antonio Alfonseca is terrible, pathetic, and horrendous at pitching. Alfonseca throws meatball after meatball after meatball. And after he gives up a meatball he'll go right back and throw another lollipop down the middle. I wouldn't want him to be pitching in any game where we were not in front or behind by AT LEAST 8 runs. I am not exaggerating. Don't you remember him? When he was on the Cubs I think he had a Clause in his contract that said he MUST give up at ;east one run in every single appearance. Obviously I am kidding but he was soooooooooo bad out there I swear it seemed like he was getting paid to give up runs.

So, once again, I say NEVER EVER EVER EVER NEVR EVER EVER NNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE RRRRRRRRRRRR make this move. Thanks.

Palehose13
06-20-2006, 05:22 PM
I didn't even realize that Alf was still in baseball until he was released.

So that would be a "no" from me.

ondafarm
06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm sure that KW's pickups look totally random and that he's picking up any old broken down guy or serious head case and the White Sox turn him around, but I think that Cooper has been watching ballplayers for quite a few years and keeps an ongoing list of guys he thinks have problems he could resolve. Coop's judgement is perfect, ala Nelson, but he's pretty good at making that call. I think even Ozzie and KW are occasionaly amazed at who he identifies but I'll take Coop's judgement everytime. Getting useable innings out of Hermanson and Pollite and Jenks last year were things nobody expected. This year Jenks continued, Thornton has been a find and a couple other guys seem to be coming around.

As for Alf, I've heard no rumbles and the Sox normally would have jumped by now if they had something in mind. Still possible but doubt it. Just because you don't see the pattern (and neither do I) doesn't mean it's random.

BadBobbyJenks
06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Absolutely Not