PDA

View Full Version : MarySwiss... This has to be you....

Scottiehaswheels
06-19-2006, 06:05 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060619&content_id=1513454&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

With Garland's ability to handle the bat, both on bunts and hitting the long ball, and the fact that he's a good athlete, is there any chance Ozzie could use him in center field if Brian Anderson continues to struggle? If Garland played every day, could he hit 20 home runs? Just wondering. I'm serious, sort of.
-- Mary, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Mary, in answer to your second question first, no! As for Garland playing center field or pinch-hitting, it would be a resounding no again. I will give props to Neal Cotts, who earlier this week picked Garland or Freddy Garcia as the first White Sox pitcher to launch an Interleague home run. In all seriousness, Garland's blast Sunday was just a great culmination to the real story brought about by his stellar eight-plus innings on the mound.

CLR01
06-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Whoever wrote that deserves to be hit repeatedly with a cast iron frying pan.

MarySwiss if that is you. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1330&d=1067553269

KRS1
06-19-2006, 08:37 PM
If I remember correctly, she lives in Chandler, but she could have used Scottsdale to hide her identity. Im almost positive this was a joke though, if not :o:.

Scottiehaswheels
06-19-2006, 08:38 PM
HA I think if that was her, she probably sent it in in teal which didn't translate to Merkin lol

Chips
06-19-2006, 08:42 PM
MarySwiss, lay off the :bong:, if that is you.

MarySwiss
06-19-2006, 08:46 PM
Whoever wrote that deserves to be hit repeatedly with a cast iron frying pan.

MarySwiss if that is you. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1330&d=1067553269

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! NO, it most emphatically was NOT me. This so-called fan is an embarrassment to all female fans everywhere. And thanks to you guys who know me better than that!!:wink:

BTW, if you do manage to track this pathetic, pitiful, sorry-excuse-for-a-Sox fan down, bring her to Chandler, and I will do the cast-iron frying pan bashing in person. No, wait! I prefer to just punch her lights out, woman to woman.

MarySwiss
06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
BTW, my e-mail to this guy:

Not a question, just a comment. You printed a question from someone who identifed herself as "Mary from Scottsdale." She suggested that Jon Garland play center field. I am a diehard Sox fan whose first name happens to be Mary and who lives in Chandler, Ariz. I am also a frequent contributor to WhiteSoxInteractive, and I am taking a lot of hits for this inane suggestion. Thanks a lot, pal!

Scottiehaswheels
06-19-2006, 08:58 PM
BTW, my e-mail to this guy:

Not a question, just a comment. You printed a question from someone who identifed herself as "Mary from Scottsdale." She suggested that Jon Garland play center field. I am a diehard Sox fan whose first name happens to be Mary and who lives in Chandler, Ariz. I am also a frequent contributor to WhiteSoxInteractive, and I am taking a lot of hits for this inane suggestion. Thanks a lot, pal!HAHAHA sorry Mary, just seemed like a question/response you might have sent in to Merkin jokingly and he thought you were serious enough to print it...

MarySwiss
06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
HAHAHA sorry Mary, just seemed like a question/response you might have sent in to Merkin jokingly and he thought you were serious enough to print it...

Okay, apology accepted. Kiss, kiss, hug, hug...and we are all friends again. :smile:

But just so you know for future reference, I have no faith at all in the ability of the media to understand subtle humor, and I would never submit a question that a mediot could use IN ANY WAY as further "proof" that women are vapid idiots who have no understanding of sports.

And this is one reason why I writhe in agony when "female fans" such as this one let it all hang out. If this was, in fact, a legitimate e-mail.

ChiSoxLifer
06-19-2006, 09:30 PM
With Garland's ability to handle the bat, both on bunts and hitting the long ball, and the fact that he's a good athlete, is there any chance Ozzie could use him in center field if Brian Anderson continues to struggle? If Garland played every day, could he hit 20 home runs? Just wondering. I'm serious, sort of.
-- Mary, Scottsdale, Ariz.
Mary, in answer to your second question first, no! As for Garland playing center field or pinch-hitting, it would be a resounding no again. I will give props to Neal Cotts, who earlier this week picked Garland or Freddy Garcia as the first White Sox pitcher to launch an Interleague home run. In all seriousness, Garland's blast Sunday was just a great culmination to the real story brought about by his stellar eight-plus innings on the mound.

Oh gawd, I hate ex-Cubs fans.

cbotnyse
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM
that cant be a serious question. is it?

its sounds like a couple of kids sittin around and :smokin: who came up with that question. :nuts: :kukoo: :nuts: :drunken:

MarySwiss I never thought that was you. :thumbsup:

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 09:56 PM

its sounds like a couple of kids sittin around and :smokin: who came up with that question. :nuts: :kukoo: :nuts: :drunken:

Probably the same yahoos that suggested this trade.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73253

MarySwiss
06-19-2006, 10:11 PM

MarySwiss I never thought that was you. :thumbsup:

Awww, thanks sweetie! :wink:

And I also sort of wondered about that question as well. When I sent my e-mail to that guy taking exception to the post, I had to provide my e-mail addy, which I did. So doesn't that mean that "Mary from Scottsdale" had to do so as well? OTOH, how hard is it to set up an account these days?

[begin rant]However, the more I think about this, the more it pisses me off! Yet another example of a clueless female fan, whether real or not. This is the same reason that it pissed me off that two of my favorite sports comedy movies--Major League I and II--just HAD to have the owner be a megabitch, clueless trophy wife. Yeah, 'cause THAT happens all the time in real life! C'mon guys, be honest; would those movies really have suffered all that much if the owner had been a clueless male? Seriously?

Okay (deep breath). I'm fine now (another deep breath). Really I am.[/end rant]

But DAMMITTTTT!!!!!! :angry: Why did it have to be "Mary"?

Edit: Meanwhile, I'll let you guys know if this clown responds to my e-mail. But if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath. Especially if that e-mail wasn't legit.

ondafarm
06-19-2006, 10:23 PM
BTW, if you do manage to track this pathetic, pitiful, sorry-excuse-for-a-Sox fan down, bring her to Chandler, and I will do the cast-iron frying pan bashing in person. No, wait! I prefer to just punch her lights out, woman to woman.

So we could call you a punch hitter?

Iwritecode
06-20-2006, 10:43 AM
This is the same reason that it pissed me off that two of my favorite sports comedy movies--Major League I and II--just HAD to have the owner be a megabitch, clueless trophy wife. Yeah, 'cause THAT happens all the time in real life! C'mon guys, be honest; would those movies really have suffered all that much if the owner had been a clueless male? Seriously?

Well, one scene wouldn't have been quite as funny...

Lou Brown: I'm sick of this nickle and dime stuff! I'm gonna get that bitch on the phone!
Rachel Phelps:You wanted to talk to the bitch?
Brown: Yes!
Rachel Phelps: Shouldn't you cover yourself with a towel Mr. Brown?
Brown: We're out of towels, and I'm too old to go diving into lockers.
Phelps: I can take it if you can.

:D:

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Well, one scene wouldn't have been quite as funny...

Lou Brown: I'm sick of this nickle and dime stuff! I'm gonna get that bitch on the phone!
Rachel Phelps:You wanted to talk to the bitch?
Brown: Yes!
Rachel Phelps: Shouldn't you cover yourself with a towel Mr. Brown?
Brown: We're out of towels, and I'm too old to go diving into lockers.
Phelps: I can take it if you can.

:D:

Actually, come to think of it, several scenes wouldn't have been as funny with a clueless guy owner. But I think what really bothered me is when she bought the team back from Dorn in the sequel. I know, quick profit, but she hated the team and said she had more than enough money, so it really made no sense. I just found her for the most part to be an annoying distraction in two otherwise very funny movies.

BTW, I still haven't gotten a response to my e-mail to that guy--and I'm still betting I don't.

LongLiveFisk
06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
That HAD to be a joke. :?:

Mercy!
06-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Good God! Did you see the other female contribution to the mail bag? How embarassing. From "Cassandra, Cicero"

What are your thoughts on "the wave?" I went to a home game in the Oakland series and there was a full wave around the ballpark. Do the White Sox appreciate the wave, or do they find it to be a distraction?
:whiner::whiner::whiner::angry::angry::angry:

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Good God! Did you see the other female contribution to the mail bag? How embarassing. From "Cassandra, Cicero"

:whiner::whiner::whiner::angry::angry::angry:

Okay, so whaddaya think? Do only clueless women write to him, or does he only print the ones that are from women who are clueless?

I mean, c'mon! Yeah, the Sox are in the middle of defending their championship, so they have all kinds of time to notice what a bunch of yahoos are doing in the stands. And even if they did notice it, why the hell would they "appreciate" it? Sheesh!

robiwho
06-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Okay, so whaddaya think? Do only clueless women write to him, or does he only print the ones that are from women who are clueless?

You've got to stop taking it personally, Mary. I'm sure none of the men here have ever felt that they were responsible for or represented by every man who ever asked a stupid question in the mailbag. For example, Ben from Sycamore asks, "Why don't the Sox have Pablo Ozuna start in center field? He's been hitting great and he could help our offense." Personally, I think the the wave question was better than that one. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Or how about the thread here titled, "Will KW give Alfonsenca a look?" (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73486)

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 02:47 PM
You've got to stop taking it personally, Mary. I'm sure none of the men here have ever felt that they were responsible for or represented by every man who ever asked a stupid question in the mailbag. For example, Ben from Sycamore asks, "Why don't the Sox have Pablo Ozuna start in center field? He's been hitting great and he could help our offense." Personally, I think the the wave question was better than that one. :rolleyes:

Well, of course I can't speak for Mercy, but I think her point was that it was embarrassing to see that, given there were only two questions from women, they were both inane. (And if that was her point, I completely agree.) And that was what formed the basis for my statement of exasperation.

And as far as what the men might feel, I think that under the right circumstances, some could feel the same way. I don't want to use any real, live WSI guy as an example, but say your name was Phil and you were from Toledo and some other guy named Phil from Toledo asked something stupid and people wondered if that Phil was you.
Not that I'm drawing any parallels or anything. :wink:

SoxEd
06-21-2006, 09:26 PM
You've got to stop taking it personally, Mary. I'm sure none of the men here have ever felt that they were responsible for or represented by every man who ever asked a stupid question in the mailbag.

To be fair to the female fans who find this whole issue annoying, I imagine that it probably makes them feel like a stay-at-home dad who only ever sees guys on shows about childcare when they are being paraded as inept/thoughtless or as being genetically incapable of being carers of children.

I think that a constant portrayal as 'eveyone of your gender is a numpty' would piss me right off too, if I were ever subjected to it.

i.e. I'm guessing that the offensive part of it is the perpetuation of a pejorative gender stereotype, not the mild joshing Mary has been subjected to on here as a result of the article.

I could be wrong though...

MarySwiss
06-21-2006, 09:55 PM
To be fair to the female fans who find this whole issue annoying, I imagine that it probably makes them feel like a stay-at-home dad who only ever sees guys on shows about childcare when they are being paraded as inept/thoughtless or as being genetically incapable of being carers of children.

I think that a constant portrayal as 'eveyone of your gender is a numpty' would piss me right off too, if I were ever subjected to it.

i.e. I'm guessing that the offensive part of it is the perpetuation of a pejorative gender stereotype, not the mild joshing Mary has been subjected to on here as a result of the article.

I could be wrong though...

IMO, you're not.