PDA

View Full Version : Nice work, Hal...

gbacci
06-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Thanks for your work on this weekís front page, I think itís an important piece, especially with all the ďHanger controversyĒ lately. I often get emails asking me why I care about what the media says. While itís important to keep it all in perspective (we really donít need more than one Henry running around), we have to accept that people are influenced by what they hear. My friends were bombarding me with emails about how Ozzie is out of control and is equivalent to Larry Bowa or Bobby Valentine. I didnít know what the heck they were talking about, but now I see where they got their opinions. The mediaís hype often times becomes the publicís reality.

On a different note, this reminds me of the Bullsí second run in the Ď90s when Boers and McNeal had a show and spent all day, every day, ripping on the Bulls. They hated Phil Jackson, they hated Rodman, they hated Scottie. They even thought Michael was too egotistical. While it may have been true that the Bulls had egos, nobody cared at the time. The rest of the city was celebrating while these guys were stewing in their jealousy and acting like complete babies.

Itís no shock people will want to tear Ozzie down as fast as possible, especially since heís successful and on the south side. Iím not saying the media is evil or corrupt, Iím simply saying I appreciate articles like Halís that help keep the universe in balance.

SBSoxFan
06-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Considering that Randy Johnson will miss his next scheduled start for hitting a batter ...

except Johnson didn't hit anyone with a pitch. But Hal might think he did because that's what the "sportsblabbers" were telling us the next morning. I know that's what I thought.

Maybe it's just time to stop talking. It seems to be working for the cubs who stopped two post-game interviews, most recently being that of Prior's on Sunday. Who is this guy, the president? No one is complaining about that.

You lie or you don't say anything apparently you get a pass. You tell the truth you get lambasted. The only people who are morons are the ones who rip Ozzie for his actions and responses to that night in Texas, and, in the same breath, rip AJ for NOT charging the mound, which is to say most every sportsblabber.

Minnie Me
06-20-2006, 09:45 AM
I disagree with this column and give teacher Hal a "D" for his weak effort which rips the radio media an always too easy a target.
Better topics are in abundance as the Sox chase the Tigers thru this exciting season.

itsnotrequired
06-20-2006, 09:52 AM
I disagree with this column and give teacher Hal a "D" for his weak effort which rips the radio media an always too easy a target.
Better topics are in abundance as the Sox chase the Tigers thru this exciting season.

:rolleyes:

I also give him a "D" for not mentioning Pablo even once in his column.

tebman
06-20-2006, 09:57 AM
:rolleyes:

I also give him a "D" for not mentioning Pablo even once in his column.
...and for not saying anything about bearing Pablo's children. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 09:58 AM

So if you think you can do better, write your own column. I quit!

thepaulbowski
06-20-2006, 10:11 AM

Why don't you go ahead and write a column then.

Or would you just rather bitch about what somebody else wrote. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Minnie is probably unaware that a major theme of "Fallen Arches" has been the stupidity of the sportsblab media in Chicago. Minnie may also be unaware of how big a media story the Tracey thing was.

DumpJerry
06-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I guess you missed the part about how Hal is related to Willie Harris by marriage. Oh well, I guess you're not invited to the bbq during the Red Sox series.......

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Heck, I was gonna thank gbacci for his compliments but now that I have two D's and people trying to take advantage of my relationship with cousin Willie...well....Thanks for nothin'!

Hitmen77
06-20-2006, 10:29 AM

I give your post a D for its weak effort to rip on a good discussion of a topical issue. :redneck

I think it was a very good article. I agree with Guy that this isn't the same as the constant ranting against the media that was met with a crackdown on this site a few weeks ago. I find it amazing that some jerk on the Rangers drills AJ twice without any reprecussions and the result is the Sox get warned not to do anything and Ozzie is painted as the bad guy. It's the same logic that led people to say that "in a way" Barrett was right for punching Pierzynski.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I give your post a D for its weak effort to rip on a good discussion of a topical issue. :redneck

I think it was a very good article. I agree with Guy that this isn't the same as the constant ranting against the media that was met with a crackdown on this site a few weeks ago. I find it amazing that some jerk on the Rangers drills AJ twice without any reprecussions and the result is the Sox get warned not to do anything and Ozzie is painted as the bad guy. It's the same logic that led people to say that "in a way" Barrett was right for punching Pierzynski.

The D doesn't bother me. In the tradition of Dr. Leonard McCoy, "I'm a science teacher, not an English teacher!"

34 Inch Stick
06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
I have two D's !

I could think of worse things than having double D's...unless they are on your own body.

Baby Fisk
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Nyls Had Wiles
by Minnie Me

I am displeased with the effort shown by Jermaine Die this season. Why canít Kenneth Willams acquire a player like Nyls Nyman? He played for the Soxks from 1974 to 1977 and could hit, throw, field, run, and comb his hair nicely. He also had very nice shoulders. Itís time for this team to end the German Diet and gorge itself on Norwegian Beef.

Why does everyone hate mee?

itsnotrequired
06-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Nyls Had Wiles
by Minnie Me

I am displeased with the effort shown by Jermaine Die this season. Why canít Kenneth Willams acquire a player like Nyls Nyman? He played for the Soxks from 1974 to 1977 and could hit, throw, field, run, and comb his hair nicely. He also had very nice shoulders. Itís time for this team to end the German Diet and gorge itself on Norwegian Beef.

:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao:

Oh man, I'm dying over here...

tebman
06-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Nyls Had Wiles
by Minnie Me

:rolling:

POTW! :thumbsup:

:rolling:

Minnie Me
06-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Minnie is probably unaware that a major theme of "Fallen Arches" has been the stupidity of the sportsblab media in Chicago. Minnie may also be unaware of how big a media story the Tracey thing was.

If Hal's column is "part of the media" then he is contributing to this story being a "big thing". This then becomes part of a self-fufilling prophecy in which Hal's columns eventually eat themselves.

And yes a column comparing the exciting utilityman play of Paco Martin in 1996 and the stellar play of Pablo Ozuna in 2006 would be greatly preferred to a column from someone who is trying to "teach" his "flock" his version of what is right and wrong about sports infotainment radio. Of course sports radio is often stupid as are some of my posts can be. Choose to listen or read and make your own conclusions, hey teacher, leave those kids alone.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 11:04 AM
If Hal's column is "part of the media" then he is contributing to this story being a "big thing". This then becomes part of a self-fufilling prophecy in which Hal's columns eventually eat themselves.

And yes a column comparing the exciting utilityman play of Paco Martin in 1996 and the stellar play of Pablo Ozuna in 2006 would be greatly preferred to a column from someone who is trying to "teach" his "flock" his version of what is right and wrong about sports infotainment radio. Of course sports radio is often stupid as are some of my posts can be. Choose to listen or read and make your own conclusions, hey teacher, leave those kids alone.

Well, apparently I did something right because the column got a response from you and others. That what I try to do by writing the column. Make people think. BTW, I'm not trying to teach anybody anything. I'm presenting a point of view that is different from what is being spewed on the flagship station of the Chicago White Sox by their afternoon drive team.

As PHG is fond of saying, if you think you can do better and don't mind writing for free, write a column yourself comparing Paco to Pablo or any other subject your heart desires. I'll even give you his email address here when you're finished so you can send it to him.

And here's the advice I give to people here: "If you don't like my columns, don't read them."

itsnotrequired
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Well, apparently I did something right because the column got a response from you and others. That what I try to do by writing the column. Make people think. BTW, I'm not trying to teach anybody anything. I'm presenting a point of view that is different from what is being spewed on the flagship station of the Chicago White Sox by their afternoon drive team.

As PHG is fond of saying, if you think you can do better and don't mind writing for free, write a column yourself comparing Paco to Pablo or any other subject your heart desires. I'll even give you his email address here when you're finished so you can send it to him.

And here's the advice I give to people here: "If you don't like my columns, don't read them."

Jay Mariotti, is that you?

:wink:

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Gotta be honest, Hal; I haven't gotten around to reading it yet--damn work!!--but I sure as hell will soon, given all the press you've gotten!

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Gotta be honest, Hal; I haven't gotten around to reading it yet--damn work!!--but I sure as hell will soon, given all the press you've gotten!

Not to mention how I've kept the thread alove. Self publicity can be a good thing. :redneck

Minnie Me
06-20-2006, 11:19 AM

"trying to make people think"---"I'm not trying to teach anybody anything" :
These statements are contradictory in their nature and if a high school teacher isn't trying to teach anybody anything no wonder we are falling behind the rest of the world in physics and math.

tebman
06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
...no wonder we are falling behind the rest of the world in physics and math.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~cross/BBBat.jpg

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
"trying to make people think"---"I'm not trying to teach anybody anything" :
These statements are contradictory in their nature and if a high school teacher isn't trying to teach anybody anything no wonder we are falling behind the rest of the world in physics and math.

My job and my column are two different things. My column is for trying to make people think in order to form opinions, not to teach anything.

In my science classes I try to teach facts and also to make people think in a somewhat different way (how to analyze and interpret experimental data, for example), not to form opinions.

Apparently you are unable to distinguish between teaching school and writing a column for a web site. My opinions on Boers and Bernstein have nothing to do with how I teach my classes, and vice versa. Got it?

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 11:26 AM
http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/%7Ecross/BBBat.jpg

ROTFLMAO!

Minnie Me
06-20-2006, 11:41 AM
My job and my column are two different things. My column is for trying to make people think in order to form opinions, not to teach anything.

In my science classes I try to teach facts and also to make people think in a somewhat different way (how to analyze and interpret experimental data, for example), not to form opinions.

Apparently you are unable to distinguish between teaching school and writing a column for a web site. My opinions on Boers and Bernstein have nothing to do with how I teach my classes, and vice versa. Got it?

OK now I understand.

voodoochile
06-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Hey, I read the article because of this thread. I normally do anyway, but it alerted me to he new week's worth of articles. I enjoyed the article greatly, as usual.

Great work, Hal. Sometimes I think that not being able to listen to sports blab radio is one of the benefits of being hard of hearing. Your article makes it much easier to adopt that viewpoint.

Much ado about nothing, so of course it's a major brouhaha...

Minnie Me
06-20-2006, 11:51 AM
Nyls Had Wiles
by Minnie Me

Nyls Nyman hit .643 and had a perfect 1000% fielding percentage for the 1974 White Sox and he is still alive so be aware.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Nyls Nyman hit .643 and had a perfect 1000% fielding percentage for the 1974 White Sox and he is still alive so be aware.

A 1000% fielding average? Incredible! That means for every 10 balls hit to him he made 100 plays without an error! We need this guy!

DaleJRFan
06-20-2006, 11:58 AM

What the .... :?:

Hal Vickery could write about what color the wallpaper is in his kitchen and it would be vastly superior to anything in local (and national for the matter) newspapers.

DaleJRFan
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM

That is the longest run-on sentence I have ever seen on WSI.

Minnie Me gets an F.

miker
06-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Heck, I was gonna thank gbacci for his compliments but now that I have two D's and people trying to take advantage of my relationship with cousin Willie...well....Thanks for nothin'!
No good deed goes unpunished!

gbacci
06-20-2006, 12:22 PM

I'd like to chime in. Cerainly there's some value in an article on Pablo, as he's been a great story - but he's also fluff. As for the self fulfilling prophecy - if you ignore how much influence the media has, you're simply being foolish, in my humble opinion. Hal's column did exactly what it was supposed to do, spark debate and point out the way the media is attempting to alter history. The fact that the national media treated the Sox world series with all the excitement of a Marlins championship just proves the point. The fact that we as Sox fans are constantly asked if we're bandwagon jumpers proves the point. Like I said before, I'm not advocating Hangar-like behavior. I simply enjoy it when Sox fans' voices are heard.

Hal, next time around I'm going to insult your article and maybe that'll get you more compliments. :cool:

Minnie Me
06-20-2006, 12:26 PM
I'd like to chime in. Cerainly there's some value in an article on Pablo, as he's been a great story - but he's also fluff. As for the self fulfilling prophecy - if you ignore how much influence the media has, you're simply being foolish, in my humble opinion. Hal's column did exactly what it was supposed to do, spark debate and point out the way the media is attempting to alter history. The fact that the national media treated the Sox world series with all the excitement of a Marlins championship just proves the point. The fact that we as Sox fans are constantly asked if we're bandwagon jumpers proves the point. Like I said before, I'm not advocating Hangar-like behavior. I simply enjoy it when Sox fans' voices are heard.

Hal, next time around I'm going to insult your article and maybe that'll get you more compliments. :cool:

Just Win Baby

LuvSox
06-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Nyls Had Wiles
by Minnie Me

:kneeslap:

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks...both for the past compliment and for the future insult. :D:

The point was that there are a lot of people listening to B&B. I occasionally see them quoted around here, and there are lots of posts in radio threads that talk about how they are the best the sportsblab radio in Chicago has to offer.

So what did they offer on the Tracey "incident"? In order of decreasing stupidity, I heard:

1) Ozzie is a goof who is losing his team.

2) A.J. was the intelligent one.

3) Retalliation for your guys getting hit detracts from the ultimate goal of winning the World Series.

I've never heard such a load of crap in my life, and this is what a lot of WSI readers are listening to every afternoon. I thought they might be interested in a bit different perspective.

When I come back on July 2, I'll get right on that feature about Pablo.

hold2dibber
06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Nyls Had Wiles
by Minnie Me

Ha! Awesome stuff! This has to rank as one of the funniest quotes on WSI ever.

CLR01
06-20-2006, 02:56 PM

The last thing the main page needs is a love letter to Willie harris.

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 04:23 PM

Okay, Hal. So now that I've read the piece, I must say I feel a bit of a letdown. I was expecting a good ol' fashioned rip job, and I'm afraid I just cannot agree that reporting what radio announcers said and disagreeing with them constitutes one.

To my mind, this is just a solid editorial.

itsnotrequired
06-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Okay, Hal. So now that I've read the piece, I must say I feel a bit of a letdown. I was expecting a good ol' fashioned rip job, and I'm afraid I just cannot agree that reporting what radio announcers said and disagreeing with them constitutes one.

To my mind, this is just a solid editorial.

Isn't that Hal's MO? I thought the big rips were reserved for PHG.

TornLabrum
06-20-2006, 04:38 PM

Yup. I don't rip. I prefer to hoist them by their own petard (whatever the hell that means).

Baby Fisk
06-20-2006, 04:59 PM
PHG is like Vesuvius. Everything's la-dee-da one moment, then BLAMMO! :cool:

tebman
06-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Yup. I don't rip. I prefer to hoist them by their own petard (whatever the hell that means).
I prefer to quote the immortal Horsemaster: "Take the wheels off your lunchbox, Braino, and let's all call a dog."
(whatever the hell that means). :tongue:

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 05:10 PM

Yeah, but Minnie Me said he ripped the media. That's what I get for being such a trusting soul!

soxruleEP
06-20-2006, 05:59 PM

At the risk of missing what you intended as irony and coming off as hopelessly pedantic (which is certainly one of my faults), that is--as TL undoubtedly knows--a line from Hamlet.

It refers to the "miner", an army specialist of Willie's (Shakespeare, not Harris) time whose job it was to handle gunpowder. To be "hoist with [one's] own petard" meant that one was lifted off the ground (or, blowed up real good) by one's own bomb.

MarySwiss
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
At the risk of missing what you intended as irony and coming off as hopelessly pedantic (which is certainly one of my faults), that is--as TL undoubtedly knows--a line from Hamlet.

It refers to the "miner", an army specialist of Willie's (Shakespeare, not Harris) time whose job it was to handle gunpowder. To be "hoist with [one's] own petard" meant that one was lifted off the ground (or, blowed up real good) by one's own bomb.

I'm pretty sure Hal intended that as irony, but that doesn't necessarily make you "pedantic." Not everyone knows everything, so explaining a reference that not all would understand also might be labeled "helpful."

During March Madness, I was in a pool where one of the participants referred to the "Battling Bastards of Bastogne." (Okay, so I get into pools with some erudite folk.) Anyway, I had to go look that reference up, even though I write Social Studies content. I knew it had something to do with WWII, but couldn't recall what, exactly.

And now I know. Unimportant? Probably. But it can't hurt!

voodoochile
06-21-2006, 12:55 AM

Thank you. I have always wondered what that meant. I figured it was some old time expression for underwear or something meaning you were getting a cosmic wedgie for saying something stupid. I always wanted to know what it meant and where it came from... :gulp:

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 01:54 AM
Yeah, but Minnie Me said he ripped the media. That's what I get for being such a trusting soul!

Minnie Me things anything that isn't a fluff piece about Paco and Pablo is a rip of the media.

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 01:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Hal intended that as irony, but that doesn't necessarily make you "pedantic." Not everyone knows everything, so explaining a reference that not all would understand also might be labeled "helpful."

During March Madness, I was in a pool where one of the participants referred to the "Battling Bastards of Bastogne." (Okay, so I get into pools with some erudite folk.) Anyway, I had to go look that reference up, even though I write Social Studies content. I knew it had something to do with WWII, but couldn't recall what, exactly.

And now I know. Unimportant? Probably. But it can't hurt!

You should know that just from watching the movie Battleground, which was all about the Battling Bastards of Bastogne, and even mentions it in the introduction iirc.

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 01:40 PM
Minnie Me things anything that isn't a fluff piece about Paco and Pablo is a rip of the media.

I things that Paco and Pablo is the big story. Pablo the first hitter in over a hundred years to be hitting over .438 with at least 80 AB's. But if you would rather rail against sportsblab radio aud nausem then I guess you want to travel back to 1972 when Chet Coppack was the only sports radio in Chicago.
This is just what I thing and just my opinion. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express what I thing.

voodoochile
06-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I things that Paco and Pablo is the big story. Pablo the first hitter in over a hundred years to be hitting over .438 with at least 80 AB's. But if you would rather rail against sportsblab radio aud nausem then I guess you want to travel back to 1972 when Chet Coppack was the only sports radio in Chicago.
This is just what I thing and just my opinion. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to express what I thing.

You know WSI does accept submissions for front page publication from the posters. If it's at all worth reading it will at least get posted under the Sox fans Sound Off headline and might earn it's own headline.

Feel free to write the article you are talking about and then submit it to George. Maybe it gets published, maybe not, but the site is ALWAYS looking for more material.

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 02:01 PM
You know WSI does accept submissions for front page publication from the posters. If it's at all worth reading it will at least get posted under the Sox fans Sound Off headline and might earn it's own headline.

Feel free to write the article you are talking about and then submit it to George. Maybe it gets published, maybe not, but the site is ALWAYS looking for more material.

Minnie Me thanks you for your kind invite to participate in this site. I love the White Sox and will take this matter under serious consideration. I do appreciate the sweat and hard work involved in creating this website.

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Minnie Me thanks you for your kind invite to participate in this site. I love the White Sox and will take this matter under serious consideration. I do appreciate the sweat and hard work involved in creating this website.

And remember you'll get paid just as much as I do.

voodoochile
06-21-2006, 02:05 PM

No, sorry, Hal. You came on board when there was a wage freeze. All new writers get 100% more salary than you do.

FielderJones
06-21-2006, 02:08 PM
So if you think you can do better, write your own column. I quit!

There isn't enough computing power in the state of Illinois, and that includes the NCSA (http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/) at UIUC, to run the spell checker and grammar checker needed to clean up a Minnie Me article.

MarySwiss
06-21-2006, 02:11 PM
You should know that just from watching the movie Battleground, which was all about the Battling Bastards of Bastogne, and even mentions it in the introduction iirc.

Except I never saw Battleground. :smile:

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 02:46 PM

Try the private sector if you are greedy for doe re minne me.

Minnie Me
06-21-2006, 02:50 PM
There isn't enough computing power in the state of Illinois, and that includes the NCSA (http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/) at UIUC, to run the spell checker and grammar checker needed to clean up a Minnie Me article.

Not sure waht a spill cheeker is but I love playing cheeckers (not to good at chest though)

And in other news the winning word is:
URSPRACHE

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Except I never saw Battleground. :smile:

Van Johnson, George Murphy (with false teeth), James Whitmore, even had the guy that played the Henry Mitchell on the Dennis the Menace TV series. Directed by William Wellman. MGM 1949(?). One of the best war movies ever made. All about the Battle of the Bulge as seen by a platoon in the 101st Airborne division.

TornLabrum
06-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Try the private sector if you are greedy for doe re minne me.

I'm not into deer.

TheVulture
06-21-2006, 03:55 PM

Two D's!? I was going to give you an F+!:(:

MarySwiss
06-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Van Johnson, George Murphy (with false teeth), James Whitmore, even had the guy that played the Henry Mitchell on the Dennis the Menace TV series. Directed by William Wellman. MGM 1949(?). One of the best war movies ever made. All about the Battle of the Bulge as seen by a platoon in the 101st Airborne division.

Thanks, Hal. I wonder how I missed it? I love old movies, including old war movies.