PDA

View Full Version : Scott P and Rob M.

bigredrudy
06-19-2006, 03:33 PM
I think that Scott P may be on his way out. As everyone knows Scott had a tough second half last year. He was unable to steal bases. He seems to have regained some of his speed but still does not seem to be all that fast. He appears to have lost a step. And he will be eligible for arbitration next year. And, of course, he can't throw and misjudges fly balls with regularity. If Anderson does hit, I can envision Rob m and Pablo platooning in left field next year. No, I don't see Rob M as a centerfielder but Ozzie seems to like him in left. Rob M plays hard, runs the bases well and has some pop. And he is signed for the next three years. This latter point is important. Most likely this won't occur until next year but I think Scott P is on his way out.

TheOldRoman
06-19-2006, 03:37 PM
:threadsucks

HotelWhiteSox
06-19-2006, 03:39 PM
What about Sweeney or Fields for next year

For losing a step, he's still #3 in the AL in SB. Defense aside, he's still important as the leadoff man. Had a tough start, but missed spring training. I don't see them making that decision as quickly as you say if they don't have a legit leadoff replacement

PaulDrake
06-19-2006, 03:47 PM
I can't speak for Sox management, but I wouldn't want to pitch Scott Podsednik overboard just yet.

Mercy!
06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
I posted this in a different thread, but it's relevent here:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt19.html

"Podsednik's defense looks shaky to Ozzie"

champagne030
06-19-2006, 03:55 PM
Rob M plays hard, runs the bases well and has some pop.

Hasn't shown much pop this year and it looked like he had a piano on his back when he was incorrectly called out at the plate against the Jndians. I not trying to rip on him, but he's a utility infielder (1st, 2nd and 3rd). It's too many AB's for him to be in a platoon situation against righthanded pitchers and he's barely servicable in the corner outfield spots. BTW - Ozuna is even worse in the OF.

oeo
06-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I think that Scott P may be on his way out. As everyone knows Scott had a tough second half last year. He was unable to steal bases. He seems to have regained some of his speed but still does not seem to be all that fast. He appears to have lost a step. And he will be eligible for arbitration next year. And, of course, he can't throw and misjudges fly balls with regularity. If Anderson does hit, I can envision Rob m and Pablo platooning in left field next year. No, I don't see Rob M as a centerfielder but Ozzie seems to like him in left. Rob M plays hard, runs the bases well and has some pop. And he is signed for the next three years. This latter point is important. Most likely this won't occur until next year but I think Scott P is on his way out.

Yeah, Podsednik is terrible, and he's slow as molasses. Give me a break; who exactly do you want our leadoff hitter to be? He's slumped lately, but as he showed earlier in the year, if he gets hot, he lives on the basepaths. This thread does suck.

Ol' No. 2
06-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I think that Scott P may be on his way out. As everyone knows Scott had a tough second half last year. He was unable to steal bases. He seems to have regained some of his speed but still does not seem to be all that fast. He appears to have lost a step. And he will be eligible for arbitration next year. And, of course, he can't throw and misjudges fly balls with regularity. If Anderson does hit, I can envision Rob m and Pablo platooning in left field next year. No, I don't see Rob M as a centerfielder but Ozzie seems to like him in left. Rob M plays hard, runs the bases well and has some pop. And he is signed for the next three years. This latter point is important. Most likely this won't occur until next year but I think Scott P is on his way out.He looks like he's on his way out, all right. Right behind Jon Garland.:rolleyes:

White Sox Randy
06-19-2006, 03:59 PM
I still like Pods and I'm sure that he will help the Sox into the playoffs again this year.

However, it wouldn't surprise me to see him elsewhere NEXT year.

oeo
He looks like he's on his way out, all right. Right behind Jon Garland.:rolleyes:
Podsednik is obviously the guy who will be added to get the Garland/Rowand trade done.

I still like Pods and I'm sure that he will help the Sox into the playoffs again this year.

However, it wouldn't surprise me to see him elsewhere NEXT year.

If Kenny picks up a new leadoff hitter, I'm all for it (Hawk: where's this guy going to play, though?). We've already seen what a team is like (pre-2005), without an actual leadoff hitter. If there's no leadoff hitter, Pods stays.

WizardsofOzzie
:dumbass:

This comes from the guy who said Cintron wasn't worth Bajenaru, thinks Garland should be replaced by B-mac, said the following about Thome ""I am not impressed with Thome and I don't know why anyone else is either. He is certainly no Pujols.", predicted the sox to finish in 4th place in 2005 with a record of 78-84, and is on the "lets run BA out of town wagon. Jesus im happy you have nothing to do with making decisions for this team. Can you ban someone for repeatedly saying dumbass things??

Dan Mega
06-19-2006, 04:03 PM
He looks like he's on his way out, all right. Right behind Jon Garland.:rolleyes:

Did someone overhear Kenny at the airport on his cell again?

Chicken Dinner
06-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Obviously the dropped fly balls are a concern. His steals are down due to his OBP is down. He's still relatively cheap and decent lead off guys are hard to come by. It does look sometimes though that he has the wrong contact in the wrong eye.

Ol' No. 2
06-19-2006, 04:14 PM
It does look sometimes though that he has the wrong contact in the wrong eye.Wouldn't that mean he had the correct one in the correct eye?:wink:

balke
06-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone who doesn't play up to potential for half a season should be dropped immediately and traded for a bag of balls... ask Paul Konerko after his 03' season. People are entitled to their opinion, and they can speculate all they want about who's in and who's out, but if you cry wolf too many times you should be warned that you just sound stupid.

Scott's the fastest guy on a team that has a manager that loves speed, defense, and bunting. He's not the best CFer, but he's above average for a left fielder defensively.... LF being where he plays. I don't see him going anywhere at least for now. He's got too much value on a team that wins with pitching, defense, and "smartball". If he gets traded for Carl Crawford, maybe. Bottom line, an Ozzie led team is going to have a good base stealer. (I in no way believe Carl Crawford is coming to the Sox btw, not meant as a thread hijack).

SOXPHILE
06-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Is that you, Dan Bernstein ? I didn't know you posted here ! I know you don't like the guy and take every opportunity to rip him on your little show, but I didn't know you were taking your fight here as well. By the way, what DID he ever do that pissed you off so much ? Did he used to date your wife or something ?

Sox-o-matic
06-19-2006, 05:01 PM
I'd love to see Pods shipped out if we could get Ichiro, but... well, that's not very likely is it?

lizard6king6
06-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Im just going to ignore this, then again Im use to people kicking players when there down. He'll be fine and he is doing fine.

kittle42
06-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Can we retitle this thread "Let's be morons and overreact to everything?"

Mackowiak goes 0-4 yesterday instead of 4-4 and this genius idea is not even brought up.

JermaineDye05
06-19-2006, 05:10 PM
if we even got rid of pods who replaces him Fields? Sweeney? then theres the other question, who leads off? scotts the only true lead off hitter on this team I don't see KW and Ozzie getting rid of him just yet

Ol' No. 2
06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Let's see...Here we're discussing replacing Pods with Mackowiak. Another thread contains speculation about why JD didn't just make a U-turn and head back to 3B when Uribe popped up his bunt attempt. Over in WTS they're wondering about the 2008 roster, and there's a propellor-head argument about Carl Crawford's I-SOD.

Gotta love off-days.:nuts:

ilsox7
06-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Let's see...Here we're discussing replacing Pods with Mackowiak. Another thread contains speculation about why JD didn't just make a U-turn and head back to 3B when Uribe popped up his bunt attempt. Over in WTS they're wondering about the 2008 roster, and there's a propellor-head argument about Carl Crawford's I-SOD.

Gotta love off-days.:nuts:

I heard CC just got a new IPOD Nano and loves it.

Oh....I-SOD! :rolleyes:

Huisj
06-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Anyone who doesn't play up to potential for half a season should be dropped immediately and traded for a bag of balls... ask Paul Konerko after his 03' season. People are entitled to their opinion, and they can speculate all they want about who's in and who's out, but if you cry wolf too many times you should be warned that you just sound stupid.

Scott's the fastest guy on a team that has a manager that loves speed, defense, and bunting. He's not the best CFer, but he's above average for a left fielder defensively.... LF being where he plays. I don't see him going anywhere at least for now. He's got too much value on a team that wins with pitching, defense, and "smartball". If he gets traded for Carl Crawford, maybe. Bottom line, an Ozzie led team is going to have a good base stealer. (I in no way believe Carl Crawford is coming to the Sox btw, not meant as a thread hijack).

Podsednik's problems in the outfield seem to be that he doesn't finish plays well. He has good range while he's running after the ball because he's very fast, but it often seems like he slows up and tip-toes to the ball when he's almost to it, and this makes it seem like countless balls drop right in front of him that some other speedy outfielders would keep driving towards and catch. It's like he lacks some killer attack-the-ball instinct that really good outfielders seem to have.

Lip Man 1
06-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't think it's a question of 'dumping' Posednik. But (I think) he's eligible for salary arbitration after this season or perhaps is even a free agent. Given those circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if kenny was nosing around this off season.

Remember he's all but come right out and said one of the starting pitchers is going to be moved to give McCarthy a shot. If that's the case a pitcher for Ichiro deal could happen. (Notice I said could...)

Ichiro isn't happy in Seattle now that the wheels have fallin' off.

I think he can play a little outfield and solve the lead off situation.

Not saying it will happen but it's certainly a solid possibility.

Lip

MrRoboto83
06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
I don't think it's a question of 'dumping' Posednik. But (I think) he's eligible for salary arbitration after this season or perhaps is even a free agent. Given those circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if kenny was nosing around this off season.

Remember he's all but come right out and said one of the starting pitchers is going to be moved to give McCarthy a shot. If that's the case a pitcher for Ichiro deal could happen. (Notice I said could...)

Lip

I think that is an understatement. I would love to see Ichrio in a Sox uniform. You know Tadahito would like it to happen as well.

FanofBill
06-19-2006, 05:58 PM

Lip

Wouls Seattle do an Ichiro for Scott P. and John Garland trade? or they want more? Just a thought, don't crucify me though.

Tragg
06-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I think that Scott P may be on his way out. As everyone knows Scott had a tough second half last year. He was unable to steal bases. He seems to have regained some of his speed but still does not seem to be all that fast. Who do you have in mind for lead-off? Who can get on base at a .350 clip MINIMUM?
Rob M is a utility player; he could probably play a decent LF, but would be a disaster at lead-off

Malgar 12
06-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Wouls Seattle do an Ichiro for Scott P. and John Garland trade? or they want more? Just a thought, don't crucify me though.
I would guess they'd want Fields too....then they can quit pretending Beltre is a good player!:D:

hawkjt
06-19-2006, 06:28 PM
I noticed the other nite in cinncy Oz put Mack in center late replacing BA. Seems weird to me but thought maybe it was cuz oz was pissed about BA almost colliding with another outfielder again that nite.

Pods is a streaky hitter but when he is on , the sox are almost unbeatable.

Anyone at the game the other nite actually think that Pods should have gotten to the bloop hit that took the win away from Jose and scored two runs?

That seems to be the implication in the articles today, I just was not sure that pods could have gotten there.

ilsox7
06-19-2006, 06:29 PM
I noticed the other nite in cinncy Oz put Mack in center late replacing BA. Seems weird to me but thought maybe it was cuz oz was pissed about BA almost colliding with another outfielder again that nite.

Anyone at the game the other nite actually think that Pods should have gotten to the bloop hit that took the win away from Jose and scored two runs?

That seems to be the implication in the articles today, I just was not sure that pods could have gotten there.

It was a double-switch. Check the postgame thread for the long debate about it.

MarySwiss
06-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Hasn't shown much pop this year and it looked like he had a piano on his back when he was incorrectly called out at the plate against the Jndians. I not trying to rip on him, but he's a utility infielder (1st, 2nd and 3rd). It's too many AB's for him to be in a platoon situation against righthanded pitchers and he's barely servicable in the corner outfield spots. BTW - Ozuna is even worse in the OF.

Bingo!! Give this poster a Kewpie doll!

Why oh why do people keep trying to fix something that isn't broken? The Sox are SOLID. Rob, Alex, Chris, Pablo, Ross, et al., are excellent at what they do, which is provide strong backup for the starters. Yeah, yeah--Tigers this, Mets that, yadda, yadda, yadda. Would you trade the entire Sox team even up for either of those two teams? I sure as hell wouldn't. (And I'll bet ya most Tigers and Mets fans would make that deal in a flash.)

Edit: Whoops!

champagne030
06-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Ozzie had a brain fart and decided to make a double switch, and was more concerned who would bat in extra innings if our closer had blown a 3 run lead in the 9th.

I may need to go read the thread that I missed while at the games this weekend. I cannot believe people would actually be in favor of the double switch. With that kind of thinking maybe Jenks should've been saved for extra innings after someone else had blown the save. :kukoo:

rdwj
06-19-2006, 07:02 PM
I guess now that Anderson and Uribe are hitting a little and Garland is pitching well, the cry babies need SOMEONE to complain about. Scottie, It's your turn!!

bigredrudy
06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Scottie P is not that fast. There are many players in baseball who are faster than he is. He relies on technique to steal bases. I think Rob gets down to first base as fast as Podsednik. I do not think Ozzie is too fond of Podsednik. I got that impression quite awhile ago. He keeps platooning him and replacing him defensively. This is not a good sign. I think a platoon of Ozuna and Mackoviak at leadoff would be just fine.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 07:24 PM
In theory, yeah. But that puts all the pressure on Dye, Thome, Konerko and Crede to stay healthy.

Let´s say Dye goes down with an injury and you have to play Sweeney. How many homers are we going to get from that OF in an entire season, 15-20, tops?

And it also leaves us without a legit lead-off hitter. Ozuna is going to get overexposed.

And it makes our OF defense even worse with Ozuna out there than Pods, if that´s possible. Can we just get Kevin Reimer or Pete Incaviglia while we are at it, or maybe Manny?

And wasn´t Pods was on the state finalists in the 100M´s in high school (West Texas)? He is a sprinter without great quickness in getting reads or first steps, but he accelerates as well as anyone in baseball on the basepaths. He does take pitter-patter steps towards balls in foul territory, and doesn´t like to dive very much.

Chips
06-19-2006, 07:32 PM
This is one of the craziest threads I have ever read. Mackowiak and Pablo platooning in left is, just plain crazy.

champagne030
06-19-2006, 07:47 PM
I think Rob gets down to first base as fast as Podsednik....I think a platoon of Ozuna and Mackoviak at leadoff would be just fine.

:bong:

Please pass that me because that's some really, really good ****!

kittle42
06-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Scottie P is not that fast. There are many players in baseball who are faster than he is. He relies on technique to steal bases. I think Rob gets down to first base as fast as Podsednik. I do not think Ozzie is too fond of Podsednik. I got that impression quite awhile ago. He keeps platooning him and replacing him defensively. This is not a good sign. I think a platoon of Ozuna and Mackoviak at leadoff would be just fine.

Do you write for BP?

MarySwiss
06-19-2006, 08:08 PM
This is one of the craziest threads I have ever read. Mackowiak and Pablo platooning in left is, just plain crazy.

Agreed. Neither should play left--or center--or right on a regular basis. They are backup infielders. And very good ones. Backup outfielders? Not so much.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
OFers with HIGH OBP that might theoretically be available

Abreu...too expensive, already have Dye
Ichiro (GREAT, if the right deal comes along)
Gary Matthews Jr. (not enough of an SB threat)
JR Drew (too many injuries, high risk, not leadoff)
Brady Clark (BA has more upside)
Dave Roberts (as 4th OF, pinch-runner, sure)
Shawn Green (no thanks)
Carl Crawford (maybe, if right deal...see Ichiro above)
Alphonso Soriano (interesting, but not OG type of player)
Eric Byrnes (another version of Rowand-Anderson-Kotsay)
Randy Winn (good, not great)
Andruw Jones (intriguing)
Torii Hunter (intriguing)

PODS

Kotsay (maybe)
Finley (too old)
Wilkerson
G. Jenkins
Cameron (worth a look for only one season)
C. Patterson

A. ROWAND

Really, it would have to be Ichiro, Crawford, Soriano, A. Jones or Hunter....nothing else out there significantly improves the ballclub, as a replacement for BA this year or Pods next year.

I guess you can make arguments for Brian Giles, but he´s not a CFer, at least anymore. He was one of the most popular ideas this offseason if we didn´t sign Paulie. Wilkerson is a decent player but no All-Star.

Maybe if BA tanks the rest of this month, we look at bringing back Cameron.

Drew has averaged 114 GP per season over his career (misses a month and half, on average) and makes $11.4 million. Dye makes less than half that and is a much better power threat. No thanks.

Grzegorz
06-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Pods adds an element of speed at the top of the order. He's not going anywhere...

I love how this team is constituted; pitching, defense (granted no as good as last year), and speed.

After Pods is gone from this team, I want this formula followed; it's a winner. Fields and Sweeney are not lead-off guys.

I'd love to know if there is a prototypical lead-off man in the system. If not, I am sure KW will is looking for one.

goofymsfan
06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
I'd love to see Pods shipped out if we could get Ichiro, but... well, that's not very likely is it?

Yeah, I don't see the M's trading him anytime soon. Along with the youngsters Jose, Yuni, and JJ, he's been one of their only bright spots.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Itīs Jerry Owens or bust.

Ricardo Nanita and Sean Smith (Winston-Salem) have some of the characteristics.

Nanita simply doesnīt hit for enough power or have enough speed to play everyday in the majors.

We're going to have to look outside the organization for someone with speed and high OBP.

CLR01
06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
As everyone knows Scott had a tough second half last year. He was unable to steal bases.

He was ****ing injured.

champagne030
06-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Itīs Jerry Owens or bust.

Ricardo Nanita and Sean Smith (Winston-Salem) have some of the characteristics.

Nanita simply doesnīt hit for enough power or have enough speed to play everyday in the majors.

We're going to have to look outside the organization for someone with speed and high OBP.

What's your opinion of Byrnes' defense? I ask because he's probably not going to cost our entire minor league system and is a possible solution if BA still has an average below .180 five weeks from now (I still believe he'll be our CF of the future...). I thought Byrnes was decent defensively with Oakland, but maybe I'm way off base.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Why did we give up on Byrnes? We are paying over $13 Million dollars to four guys that have a total of 8 HR's and 41 RBI's! I for one laughed at Byrnes bad jumps on the ball and crazy catches. But I loved the energy he brought to the team. Something that is surely missing right now. Byrnes defense was bad you say? Yes...But Kotsay has one assist and two errors this year. Guess what Byrnes has? ONE ASSIST and ONE ERROR!
From an A´s board...

I guess Byrnes is one of those guys like AJ, Lastings Milledge or Ozuna that you love to have on your team but he´s annoying as heck on the opposing team.

He´s a very emotional player, that´s for sure. Something of a cross between BA and Pods, although closer to Pods (defensively) and pretty similar to Rowand (definitely a step down from 2004 Rowand) offensively.

He also is signed for more than $2 million this season. But the DBacks have Young stuck behind him now.

champagne030
06-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Why did we give up on Byrnes? We are paying over $13 Million dollars to four guys that have a total of 8 HR's and 41 RBI's! I for one laughed at Byrnes bad jumps on the ball and crazy catches. But I loved the energy he brought to the team. Something that is surely missing right now. Byrnes defense was bad you say? Yes...But Kotsay has one assist and two errors this year. Guess what Byrnes has? ONE ASSIST and ONE ERROR!
From an Aīs board...

I guess Byrnes is one of those guys like AJ, Lastings Milledge or Ozuna that you love to have on your team but heīs annoying as heck on the opposing team.

Heīs a very emotional player, thatīs for sure. Something of a cross between BA and Pods, although closer to Pods (defensively) and pretty similar to Rowand (definitely a step down from 2004 Rowand) offensively.

He also is signed for more than $2 million this season. But the DBacks have Young stuck behind him now.

I hope that wasn't in response to my post. I've never posted an opinion about Byrnes before my last question. Like I said in the previous post, unless he's a defensive liability I wouldn't mind getting him if BA cannot get his average into the .220 range.

gobears1987
06-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Wow, the original poster is pretty dumb. Scott had a bad 2nd half because he was playing with a pretty major injury. As for his errors early on, Singleton said that was because he had no spring training. According to Singleton, it takes time in Spring Training to get used to reading fly balls again. Scott missed most of ST due to the fact he was recovering from surgery.

:dumbass:

PicktoCLick72
06-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Sometimes I think we should require an IQ test before letting people become members.

thomas35forever
06-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Wow. You wanna give up on a guy who's among the AL leaders in stolen bases and triples? Why don't you look at his stats first? Also, I think you forgot about his second-half injury last year.:threadsucks

HebrewHammer
06-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Why did HomeFish create a second SN?

To read some posts on this site, you'd think the Sox were twenty games out instead of two. Get off the ledge people. We've seen a championship, we get to be normal fans now.

Tragg
06-19-2006, 11:32 PM
It´s Jerry Owens or bust.
He can play left field, but he can't bat lead off.
He's someone who would be good to trade.

QCIASOXFAN
06-20-2006, 12:12 AM
I think this thread is worse than the "Failed Squeeze" thread about Dye.

Thome25
06-20-2006, 07:41 AM

Lay off of Pods. He is too important to this team to be "on the way out" as you said.

He is among the league leaders in stolen bases right now. What more do you want? Granted, he hasn't been as good defensively so far but, give it time and he'll come around.

KW isn't suddenly going to become stupid overnight. (at least I hope not.) There's NO WAY he's going to ditch Pods for a Mackowiak/Ozuna platoon in LF. That situation would hurt this team more than you would know.

There's NO WAY we'd be better off with that platoon over Pods. Look at the stats, when Pods gets on base and has multiple-hit games our offense is unstoppable.

WizardsofOzzie
06-20-2006, 09:41 AM
The idiot who created this thread never has anything positive to say about anyone on our team it seems. He dosen't like garland or cintron and sees "nothing special about thome"

slobes
06-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Wasn't it just last year when we were all oozing with compliments about Pods? We were all "he's the best leadoff man in the game, we have to get him into the All Star game". There is no way that Scotty is "on the way out". He's still like third in the AL in SBs. He still gets in every pitcher's head when he gets on base.

DaleJRFan
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Pods may only be hitting 250 or whatever, but he is getting the job done with men on base. He can be counted on when in rbi and high-leverage situations. Pods isn't on his way out... but man, this thread sure does suck!

soxinem1
06-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I've said this a million times: Why do people try to microanalize and think these type of Steinbrenner tactics are even worth discussing? It's bad enough that a lot of fans want to put 30HR, 100RBI guys at every position and think they will perform to that plateau.

True, the guy has his limitations, but he is still a key cog in this offense, which last I checked, is pretty potent.

I think some of these stat heads look at box scores but do not realize that other intangeables win games too, things that do not get noticed unless you watch the team play.

And on a side note, if Podsednik is so slow, why is he third in steals and draw about 6-10 throws to first every time he gets on?

Sounds like a real scrub to me.....

russ99
06-20-2006, 11:59 AM
I posted this in a different thread, but it's relevent here:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-soxnt19.html

"Podsednik's defense looks shaky to Ozzie"

Pods has been struggling in the field, and this is a nice wake-up call by Oz to spur on his player. Especially the "taking at bats out to the field" part.

Pods is still a very important member of this team. Also, The guy had 2 hernia surgeries in the offseason, which takes time to get back to full strength.

I like when people count out Pods. That's usually when he gets another 3-steal game. He'll be another key for the Sox offense down the stretch.

BadBobbyJenks
06-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Wasn't it just last year when we were all oozing with compliments about Pods? We were all "he's the best leadoff man in the game, we have to get him into the All Star game". There is no way that Scotty is "on the way out". He's still like third in the AL in SBs. He still gets in every pitcher's head when he gets on base.

I am just amazed at how these threads appear when things are going well and these ****ing idiot dark clouds are unable to handle good things. Regardless of what records say, we are the best team in baseball with no gaping holes. Pods is streaky, where were these people when pods hitting 300 and leading the al in steals. Give me a ****ing break, Pods is the catalyst for our offense and we have "fans" wanting to run him out of town because of this slump....What a joke

Lay off the pipe, the clowns on here make it seem like we are hovering around .500 and the playoff chances are slipping by the day...Unbelievable

bigredrudy
06-20-2006, 01:10 PM
You all have your opinions but the facts don't support your conclusions. On at least two occasions Ozzie has publicly commented on Pod's poor defense. And Scott P has been thrown out 30 times attempting to steal in the last year and one half. Now let us look at some stats. Scott has an OPS against lefthanders of 453. He is one of the reasons that we have been losing to lefthanders. And he usually does not steal against lefthanders. Ozuna is very effective against lefthanders. He has an OPS of 1142 against them. And Ozuna's favorite bunt play is more effective against lefthanders because lefthanded pitchers tend to fall off toward the third base line. Against righthanders Rob M has an OPS of 889. To me Rob M hustles more than Scott as well. These numbers are the real reason Ozzie is platooning Scott. Actually Rob and Ozuna are almost the perfect platoon partners. Actually I was talking more about next year than this one. The Sox will be in a financial squeeze. Scott will be in his second year of arbitration. His salary will either double or most likely triple. -same with Crede- We need cheap players and we don't have any except Anderson and a couple of pitchers. Buerhle, Iguchi and Dye will be in the last year of their contract. Oh I forgot about Garcia. When you consider everything am I such a lunatic.

CLR01
06-20-2006, 01:52 PM
When you consider everything am I such a lunatic.

Lunatic is not the word I would use.

Go ahead and keep comparing Scotty's stats to a player who is playing out of his mind. Ozuna has better stats, more speed, better defense and probably hustles more than than both Konerko and Thome, I suppose the Sox should get rid of them too. The numbers don't lie.

Risk
06-20-2006, 02:01 PM
You all have your opinions but the facts don't support your conclusions. On at least two occasions Ozzie has publicly commented on Pod's poor defense. And Scott P has been thrown out 30 times attempting to steal in the last year and one half. Now let us look at some stats. Scott has an OPS against lefthanders of 453. He is one of the reasons that we have been losing to lefthanders. And he usually does not steal against lefthanders. Ozuna is very effective against lefthanders. He has an OPS of 1142 against them. And Ozuna's favorite bunt play is more effective against lefthanders because lefthanded pitchers tend to fall off toward the third base line. Against righthanders Rob M has an OPS of 889. To me Rob M hustles more than Scott as well. These numbers are the real reason Ozzie is platooning Scott. Actually Rob and Ozuna are almost the perfect platoon partners. Actually I was talking more about next year than this one. The Sox will be in a financial squeeze. Scott will be in his second year of arbitration. His salary will either double or most likely triple. -same with Crede- We need cheap players and we don't have any except Anderson and a couple of pitchers. Buerhle, Iguchi and Dye will be in the last year of their contract. Oh I forgot about Garcia. When you consider everything am I such a lunatic.

And the irrational of Scott Podsednik continues. So because Pods has been thrown out 30 times in the last year and a half (in that period of time he had 59 stolen bases in the 05' regular season, and has 21 this season) even after having two surgeries means that he should be replaced. That's ridiculous. Especially since we have no comparable lead off man (and don't get me started about starting Ozuna everyday b/c every fly hit out to LF when Pablo is playing there is an adventure) and even when he is not stealing bases, Podsednik is still drawing the pitcher's attention, increasing the chance of the pitcher throwing a mistake pitch to the following batters

Mackowiak taking Podsednik's position is also ridiculous as Rob is not an everyday player, is not a base stealing threat, and is barely adequate defensively in the outfield. Rob is a good player, but he is utlity man, just like he was with the Pirates. Period.

The idea that Podsednik is one of the reasons why the Sox can't beat LH pitching is incomplete. Look at the rest of the teams OPS against lefties. You will see that almost all of the everyday starters do not hit well against lefties.

Allthough I don't know the stats off the top of my head w/ re: to Podsednik's stolen base/attempts vs. lefties, can you honestly say that being 21 out of 28 (29?) is worse than being 5 out of 9 (Ozuna's SB/attempts)? Me neither.

Finally, and I hate to bring in the dreaded "A" word into the argument, but if you haven't noticed, winning the World Series has led to an increase in attendance, which therefore leads to an increase in revenue. KW has shown in the last year that when the money is there, he will spend it, and spend it wisely (Konerko, Contrearas, Garland). If you want to win championships, you have to spend money, but you also have to spend it wisely, just like KW has. Do you honestly think that cutting loose integral players of your championship team just so you can fill their positions with younger, cheaper players is going to help the Sox win championships? Give me a break. Jerry Krause tried that with the Bulls, and look how effective that was.

I like Pablo and Mackowiak, but this idea of them replacing Podsednik is just mind-numbingly stupid, so on that note, I'm done with this POS thread.

Risk

caulfield12
06-20-2006, 05:56 PM
One of the problems with that SB-CS stat is that the majority of his caught stealings happened last year in the second half when he was trying to come back from his injury and he just didn't have any confidence on the basepaths. I think his mark this year of around 75% is more indicative...although 80 or 85% would obviously be better.

Pods has a limited number of AB's against LHP...79 to be exact. Brian Anderson probably has double that number and we're not benching him.

Ozuna has 53 AB's against LHP.

It doesn't take much time for numbers with those AB's to turn around dramatically.

While we would all love for Ozuna to get 502 PA and beat Ted Williams, I sincerely doubt that will happen.

Ozuna is actually older than Pods, by a year and a half.

We all love what Pablo is doing, but it will come crashing down sooner or later, in Kevin Maas fashion.

tick53
06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
:pods: "Whud I do?":threadblows: