PDA

View Full Version : Paco 1996 vs Pablo 2006

Minnie Me
06-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Ten years ago we had an exciting utility guy who was giving the Sox surprising versitility off the bench and big hits.With Pablo hitting .438 do you remember Paco Martin in 1996? He also was a versitle multi-position utility player who got some key hits and batted .350 that year.
Paco did not play the outfield but filled in at ss,3rd and 2nd just like Ozuna.
I think Pablo is a better fielder than Paco was and will exceed Paco's 1996 season, making him the best Sox utility guy since Tony G. in 2001 who hit .303 in 145 AB's.

The key is to spot Pablo and resist over-using him.

Lyle Mouton
06-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Whoa i'd completely forgotten that name

good memories

I never thought of that comparison, but I can definately see it

Thome25
06-19-2006, 12:00 PM
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/norberto_martin_autograph.jpg

That's a great comparison. I loved Paco when he played for us but, I think right now Pablo is the superior player. And that's saying alot because in my opinion when Paco first came up, I thought he coulda been a starter at SS or 2b.:redface:

We all know that Paco turnout to be a pretty good utility player but, like I said, I think Pablo is far superior.

Garland_IS_God
06-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I loved Paco and as you can see he has the sweetest signature!

BainesHOF
06-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Let's get a couple things straight. Pablo is way better than Paco and Tony G. Offhand I can't think of anyone who has been a better bench player for us than Pablo.

cbrownson13
06-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Didn't he wear that goofy looking helmet that covered more of his face for a while?

For some reason I rememer him for the helmet.

caulfield12
06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I think he was hit in the face once with a pitch that season...he might even have had a broken or wired jaw. Can't remember for sure.

batmanZoSo
06-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Didn't he wear that goofy looking helmet that covered more of his face for a while?

For some reason I rememer him for the helmet.

Esteban Beltre wore that helmet too, probably for the same reason I'm not sure. He was on the 92 team, hit a homer in my first game at New Comiskey.

Fred Manrique
06-19-2006, 04:46 PM
I was a big Paco fan too, saw him playing in the minors sometime in the late nineties at an Indianapolis Indians game.

seventyseven
06-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I think he was hit in the face once with a pitch that season...he might even have had a broken or wired jaw. Can't remember for sure.

He actually deflected a bunt attempt into his face and broke his jaw. Never seen anything like it. He wore an extension shield after he returned.

soxinem1
06-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I was in Baltimore in 1994 and he hit a grand slam! I missed catching the ball by only a couple rows.

I always thought this guy would be a regular, and I believe he was supposed to be the starter in 1995, but got hurt in ST and became a utility guy.

They do have some similarities, but I think Ozuna is a bit faster, while Martin had a little more pop. Martin played only a few games in the OF, but was just as adventurous as Ozuna. Besides, they were both natural INF.

I liked watching them both at the plate, they both handled the bat similarly well. I did, however, think Paco was a little older than he was listed.