PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee's "first" MLB walk-off HR

TDog
06-19-2006, 04:55 AM
Carlos Lee ended the Brewers game with a home run against the Indians Sunday. I was happy for him. I looked at the write-ups to see if it mentioned that Carlos Lee homered in his first MLB at bat in a game against the Indians. I'm pretty sure it was against the Indians anyway. Instead I found both AP and an Ohio newspaper referring to the today's HR as his "first" walk-off HR in the major leagues.

When you talk about game ending home runs for the Sox, a few spring to mind as most memorable. The Scott Podsednik home run in last year's World Series Those of us old enough to remember 1972 will recall the Dick Allen pinch hit home run in the second game of a June doubleheader. There was a Robin Ventura grand slam in 1990. There was last year's Joe Crede shot against the Tribe. I was at a 12-inning game against the Tigers in 2003 that Crede ended with a home run, so that was memorable.

But wouldn't a certain Carlos Lee grand slam against the Cubs on June 18, 2001, ending the game with 2 outs in the 10th be on every Sox fan's list?

The fact that two reporters got this wrong leaves to wonder if:

A) A PR guy with the Brewers provided the media with the wrong information and the reporters were too lazy to ask Carlos Lee if it was his first game-ending home run.

B) Carlos Lee told them it was his first game-ending home run, either forgetting that he once played for the Sox or refusing to acknowledge those years.

C) The Associated Press and the Akron newspaper do not recognize regular-season games between the White Sox and Cubs to be "major league games."

D) Some cheating was going on. (Someone sold those guys the wrong answers, one of them copied off he other's paper when his editor wasn't looking, that sort of thing.)

E) All of he above.

I'm sorry to go long here, and I really don't mean to be obsessing over it. But that one home run meant so much to Sox fans, and now it's like it didn't even mean anything to anyone else, including, perhaps, Carlos Lee.

If someone were to start a poll of favorite game ending home runs, Carlos Lee's certainly would be among the choices.

soxfanreggie
06-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Was at the game for Cecil Cooper bobblehead day with my friend (who is a Cubs-fan, he's not right in the head, although he has talked about jumping ship from the Cubs because he can't stand them anymore) and we were talking to some Brewers fans. My friend couldn't believe why we traded CLee until he watched Carlos fielding. He is one of the most lazy players out in the field. While he can hit, he shows no urgency in the field and will not hustle to catch a ball. If CLee would have made one of the catches he should have, he wouldn't have needed to hit the game winning homer. Always good to see the Indians lose though.

It was awesome when they showed the Cubs score then the Sox score :D: for all the jokes about the "downward spiral" of the Cubs-I will say though that I might have wanted the Cubs to win a game or two to knock the Tigers down some.

DumpJerry
06-19-2006, 07:16 AM
There was a Robin Ventura grand slam in 1990.
July 31, 1991. First season at new Comiskey.

FRANK FORT
06-19-2006, 07:57 AM
I think Carlos Lee hit his debut homer against Oakland. Anyone confirm or deny?

PaulDrake
06-19-2006, 08:11 AM
I think Carlos Lee hit his debut homer against Oakland. Anyone confirm or deny? That is correct. He hit it at home on 5-7-99 in the second inning, a solo shot off of Tom Candiotti.

MadetoOrta
06-19-2006, 09:39 AM
Didn't Carlos Lee hit a walkoff HR against Mariano Rivera too?

EastCoastSoxFan
06-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Didn't Carlos Lee hit a walkoff HR against Mariano Rivera too?I believe that was a game-tying home run, and then we manufactured the winning run that eventually scored on a broken-bat hit by Valenstache...

pearso66
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I believe that was a game-tying home run, and then we manufactured the winning run that eventually scored on a broken-bat hit by Valenstache...

That is correct. I was at that outstanding game, I believe it was Herbert Perry that scored the winning run.

Jurr
06-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Didn't Carlos Lee hit a walkoff HR against Mariano Rivera too?
No...that homer he hit off of Rivera tied the game, still my favorite game to ever attend as a Sox fan. Herbert Perry and Jose Valentin combined for the walkoff base hit magic. The crowd was ludicrous.

SOXPHILE
06-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Another homerun Lee hit that was memorable for me was in June of 2000 against the Yankees. This was right after the Sox swept 3 in Cleveland, and then took all 4 from the Yanks in New York, then came home and had to play 4 against the Indians, and 3 against the Yankees. They split the 4 games with Cleveland, and I went to the Friday night game against the Yankees. Sox were trailing by a run in the bottom of the 9th. Lee comes up and hits a game tying homerun off Rivera. They wound up winning when Valentin drove in Herbert Perry. Up till then, that was the loudest I've ever hear the park get.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Was at the game for Cecil Cooper bobblehead day with my friend (who is a Cubs-fan, he's not right in the head, although he has talked about jumping ship from the Cubs because he can't stand them anymore) and we were talking to some Brewers fans. My friend couldn't believe why we traded CLee until he watched Carlos fielding. He is one of the most lazy players out in the field. While he can hit, he shows no urgency in the field and will not hustle to catch a ball. If CLee would have made one of the catches he should have, he wouldn't have needed to hit the game winning homer. Always good to see the Indians lose though.

It was awesome when they showed the Cubs score then the Sox score :D: for all the jokes about the "downward spiral" of the Cubs-I will say though that I might have wanted the Cubs to win a game or two to knock the Tigers down some.

I was at the game too. Was your friend the Cubs fan in Cub Gear? My father saw that guy and said "that boy's in the wrong place, but maybe he wanted to see a team that can actually win 3 games in a row." Anyways, fun game. Definately a Father's Day to remember. Carlos is a horrible defender, that's why i won't miss him too much, if he is traded for a SP this year. Here's to the Brewers winning a few vs the Tigers!

soxwon
06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
But wouldn't a certain Carlos Lee grand slam against the Cubs on June 18, 2001, ending the game with 2 outs in the 10th be on every Sox fan's list?

The fact that two reporters got this wrong leaves to wonder if:

A
B) Carlos Lee told them it was his first game-ending home run, either forgetting that he once played for the Sox or refusing to acknowledge those years.

C) The Associated Press and the Akron newspaper do not recognize regular-season games between the White Sox and Cubs to be "major league games."

D) Some cheating was going on. (Someone sold those guys the wrong answers, one of them copied off he other's paper when his editor wasn't looking, that sort of thing.)

E) All of he above.

I'm sorry to go long here, and I really don't mean to be obsessing over it. But that one home run meant so much to Sox fans, and now it's like it didn't even mean anything to anyone else, including, perhaps, Carlos Lee.

If someone were to start a poll of favorite game ending home runs, Carlos Lee's certainly would be among the choices.

and to think he will be a CUB next year!!!!

TDog
06-20-2006, 03:40 AM
For the record, the Associated Press issued a correction Monday.