PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale prices

BainesHOF
06-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Just wondering what everyone else thought about Saturday's Yard Sale...

I'm an annual visitor to the Garage/Yard sale. I was surprised by how expensive the bats were this time, especially considering how reasonable the prices were at the Soxfest Garage Sale. The prices basically doubled. Konerko's bats were $500, and the ones they had available were bad with really bad cracks or pieces missing, and even bats of Crede and Podsednik were $350 apiece. For some reason an Ozuna bat ran $150 while Uribe was only $100. Even a Widger bat was $100.

I headed straight to the jerseys. Almost all of the jerseys were of the never-worn variety. I was able to find a nicely-used, Halfway-To-St. Patrick's Day green pinstriped uniform of Geoff Blum for $250. It was even autographed. Also bought a used, set 3 home jersey of El Duque for $250. I found a 2005 set 2 home jersey of Politte, but put it back because it showed absolute no use whatsoever. There were lots of 2005 home Rowands available marked set 16, 17, 18, 19, etc. that I took a pass on because of the use issue. I was really hoping to score a used 2005 jersey or two of a starter. They've all disappeared, at least as far as being available to the regular fan. I'm sure those within the organization have scarfed up all the really good memorabilia since the World Series.

I bought some 2005 programs for $1 and picked up some 2005 dugout lineup cards that went for $50 apiece, a steal in my opinion considering how rare and nice they look when displayed. Also bought an Iguchi cap and locker nameplate for $50 apiece, and got a nice-looking Vizcaino World Series locker nameplate for $50.

lizard6king6
06-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Wish I had that kind of money!!!! ButI figured the prices would go way up condisering last years success and all. Thats why I didnt even decide to go this year. Glad you found some cool things

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
I went to the ISU Redbirds garage sale back in 2001, and I thought a game-worn Tarise Bryson jersey that went for $225 was unreal...500 buckos for a Konerko BAT?! :o:

Brian26
06-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I went to the ISU Redbirds garage sale back in 2001, and I thought a game-worn Tarise Bryson jersey that went for $225 was unreal...500 buckos for a Konerko BAT?! :o:

If a game used Tarise Bryson jersey went for $225, then a PK jersey is worth about $20,000.

doublem23
06-19-2006, 10:45 AM
If a game used Tarise Bryson jersey went for $225, then a PK jersey is worth about $20,000.

Seriously.... Did Bryson lead the Redbirds to 7th place in the Valley? What a banner year that must have been for good ol' ISU.

Clembasbal
06-19-2006, 11:14 AM
The only reseanable price at the yard sale was the lineup cards...they were cool. Everything else was way overpriced and something I was not willing to pay.

My purpose of going there was to get a Scott Podsednik bat...it was $350 and just game used. I found an autographed one online that was half that price.

This is the first one I went to in about 5-7 years. The last one I went to had old crap...an actual yard sale IMO...I was able to pick up old school ~1970 pennants for about $1 each and there was much more...there wasn't anything close to that this time around.

Palehose13
06-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Wow. I guess the Frank Thomas bat that I got at Sox Fest for $50 was an absolute steal.

Tekijawa
06-19-2006, 11:19 AM

A friend of my brothers called him after they picked up his away Jersey for him at the ISU Garage Sale, he had the home jersey framed already, I don't know what they paid but, there was probably $250 dollars worth of lettering alone just to get Mazanowski across the back.

BainesHOF
06-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Wow. I guess the Frank Thomas bat that I got at Sox Fest for $50 was an absolute steal.

Yes, it was. Frank's bats started at something like $150 or $100 at Soxfest and probably were dropped to $50 to clear 'em out because they had so many. However, at this weekend's Garage Sale, they were back up to $300.

Lots of Frank jerseys were available at $750. However, none of them were used, making them way overpriced.

I understand there's a fine line with prices. The sale is for charity so that's a big positive. At the same time, it would be nice if prices went back to being more reasonable. Some of this year's prices were way beyond even the memorabilia market, especially the bats. I'd think the Sox would want the sale to be a positive P.R. event for the fans and not an opportunity to see how much money they can squeeze out of everyone.

Overall, the Garage/Yard Sales have been great. Hopefully the latest one was just a blip on the radar and future ones go back to being a little more reasonably priced.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-19-2006, 01:42 PM
How much were gloves? I went last year and all they had were catchers mitts but I wanted to pick up a regular glove. They said the prices were reasonable - around $50 IIRC but I may be wrong. Couldn't make it this year but whould like to pick up a glove and other odds and ends next year.

Thanks