PDA

View Full Version : Price for Crawford is going to be high

caulfield12
06-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Tampa Bay similarly is setting a high asking price for center fielder Carl Crawford. The Angels reportedly were told talks would have to start with 23-year-old right-hander Ervin Santana and a top prospect such as second baseman Howie Kendrick.

(This would be the equivalent of us trading them McCarthy and Sweeney. Too much.)

From Phil Rogers' Sunday column

Interesting note, he said there were a lot of White Sox people very interested in Cesar Izturis of the Dodgers, who will be coming off the DL recently. Hopefully, Juan waking up a little with the bat should quell those rumors.

tick53
06-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Tampa Bay similarly is setting a high asking price for center fielder Carl Crawford. The Angels reportedly were told talks would have to start with 23-year-old right-hander Ervin Santana and a top prospect such as second baseman Howie Kendrick.

Interesting note, he said there were a lot of White Sox people very interested in Cesar Izturis of the Dodgers, who will be coming off the DL recently. Hopefully, Juan waking up a little with the bat should quell those rumors.

Like Ozzie and Kenny say, pitching is everthing. Santana is pretty good pitcher and will continue to improve. I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on that deal just yet. Crawford is good, but again, the Angels would be giving up a lot. I heard that KW was interested in Izturis also, but why give up young
players when Alex Cintron is already here?

caulfield12
06-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Well, obviously they would have to find a taker for Uribe.

I think this is a long-term move, something that won't happen during the season. My guess is that the White Sox will also want to give some Valido time in the minors to determine if he has what it takes to be the starter or not.

The Sox have to mix in a Sweeney or Anderson here, a McCarthy, a Fields or Valido, to make this payroll thing logical over a 3-5 year span, as a season like 1984 or 2001 could damage their ability to sustain a $100 million payroll.

Crede_Fan
06-18-2006, 11:50 AM

(This would be the equivalent of us trading them McCarthy and Sweeney. Too much.)

I don't think it is too much for Crawford. With most of the Starters locked up (do you really think Mark or Freddy is not going to be extended?), theres not much room for Brandon. And Crawford is young and cheap.

Bump34
06-18-2006, 12:18 PM
He's not going anywhere!!!

CLR01
06-18-2006, 12:20 PM

No Devil Rays trolls. :wink:

:redneck

voodoochile
06-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Your brain says "no", but your heart says, "Yes, yes, yes...":D:

Flight #24
06-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Your brain says "no", but your heart says, "Yes, yes, yes...":D:

Actually, your heart probably says "no", but your brain should be saying "Won't win in the next 2 years, won't resign him, desperately need pitching and have Young/Baldelli waiting in the wings.......get as much as you can get for him!".

If indeed, they can get an equivalent to say McCarthy+Sweeney/Fields+possibly more, that's a move you HAVE to at least seriously consider if not jump on if you're the DRays. Unless you have some idea from management that they'll pay market rates for Crawford in a year or 2, in which case you should be looking at dealing Gomes/Baldelli or even Young to bring in some young pitching talent.

Not to worry, Willsy - things are looking up for the Rays, even if they DO deal CC!

Bump34
06-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Actually, your heart probably says "no", but your brain should be saying "Won't win in the next 2 years, won't resign him, desperately need pitching and have Young/Baldelli waiting in the wings.......get as much as you can get for him!".

If indeed, they can get an equivalent to say McCarthy+Sweeney/Fields+possibly more, that's a move you HAVE to at least seriously consider if not jump on if you're the DRays. Unless you have some idea from management that they'll pay market rates for Crawford in a year or 2, in which case you should be looking at dealing Gomes/Baldelli or even Young to bring in some young pitching talent.

Not to worry, Willsy - things are looking up for the Rays, even if they DO deal CC!

Couple of things... I know Crawford would help... the Sox... what about Baldelli??? Also... Crawford signed what is essentially a 6 year deal in April of '05...

jabrch
06-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Couple of things... I know Crawford would help... the Sox... what about Baldelli??? Also... Crawford signed what is essentially a 6 year deal in April of '05...

How is BalDLi's health? You see him more than we do. After missing last year, how's he moving in the 10 games he's played? I see his stats - but that's too small a sample size to have meaning. He has played 9 days in a row, so obvisouly someone thinks he's healthy.

If the price is right - sure. He doesn't take many walks. He's not a slugger, but he'd be useful in the bottom of the order. I wouldn't give up too much for him - but if the Rays are looking to move him, I guess he'd be worth a discussion.

Flight #24
06-18-2006, 08:30 PM

Wow, hadn't seen that before. That's an awesome signing for them, with salaries topping out at $11M in 2010? Freaking amazing. The guy's given up his first 4-odd years of FA for team option salaries that are around what top guys get now, but will likely be reasonably below that by the time he's earning them.

Based on that, I change my mind. Unless they're stupid or think they have 3 absolute other studs with more potential, Crawford ain't going anywhere. Young, very good, and signed at reasonable rates for a long while.

As for Balldelli, not much interest over here. I think he's a solid #2 or maybe #1 type of hitter. High avg / medium power and decent speed but low OBP. Kind of Iguchi-esque in my mind, but the Sox already have one of those and I don't know if you really want 2 of them in the lineup. Could possibly be a leadoff man if they let Pods go, but that OBP's kind of low for that.

Tragg
06-18-2006, 09:12 PM
He has a lifetime OBP of a lowly .324, although it's up this year. I think McCarthy plus a top prospect is a top price for any player.

Such deals are better conceived in the offseason anyway.

Jjav829
06-18-2006, 11:56 PM
He has a lifetime OBP of a lowly .324, although it's up this year. I think McCarthy plus a top prospect is a top price for any player.

Such deals are better conceived in the offseason anyway.

I'm envisioning a post circa 2030 from Tragg as Crawford is inducted into the HOF:

"I still don't see why everyone is so enamored with Carl Crawford." :tongue:

(No, I'm not saying Crawford is a HOFer in the making. Just exaggerating to make a point...)

Palehose13
06-19-2006, 08:53 AM
I'd love to have Carl Crawford. I wanted him in the past. And I think he is worth a high price, especially if he is signed for awhile.

Thome25
06-19-2006, 11:50 AM
First off this IS NOT a thread to bash Brian Anderson. BA has been pretty good lately and I hope he keeps it up so he can keep the CF job.

But, I just read a report that said the White Sox are one of about 5-6 teams that are interested in Carl Crawford from TB.

If that's the case then I hope KW makes a serious run at this guy. He's a perfect fit for us in CF, he can steal some bases, he has gotten better every year, can play LF too, and best of all he's only 24. (unlike the ancient Junior Griffey.)

So if your listening KW: GO OUT AND GET CARL CRAWFORD!!

Any thoughts? Anyone agree/disagree/not care?

ilsox7
06-19-2006, 11:51 AM
You may want to check the couple of threads in the proper forum on this topic.

Beautox
06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Crawfords contract.

deal for 2005 season worth 370K was renewed on 3/11/05- + he could earn 20K in bonuses for reaching 500PA- + signed 4-year deal worth 15.25M on 4/1/05 that superceded deal for 2005 season- + he receives a 500K signing bonus and salaries of 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006, 4M in 2007, and 5.25M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25M or a 2.5M buyout- + if the 2009 option is exercised, then a Team Option for 2010 worth 10M or a 1.25M buyout is added- + 2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators, including one for AL MVP votes- + as part of the deal, he will donate up to 400K to the Rays of Hope Foundation- + if traded, he receives a bonus worth up to 800K

Thome25
06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Crawfords contract.

deal for 2005 season worth 370K was renewed on 3/11/05- + he could earn 20K in bonuses for reaching 500PA- + signed 4-year deal worth 15.25M on 4/1/05 that superceded deal for 2005 season- + he receives a 500K signing bonus and salaries of 500K in 2005, 2.5M in 2006, 4M in 2007, and 5.25M in 2008- + the deal includes a Team Option for 2009 worth 8.25M or a 2.5M buyout- + if the 2009 option is exercised, then a Team Option for 2010 worth 10M or a 1.25M buyout is added- + 2010 option value could rise to 11.5M based on various escalators, including one for AL MVP votes- + as part of the deal, he will donate up to 400K to the Rays of Hope Foundation- + if traded, he receives a bonus worth up to 800K

If we have to give up a couple of pitching prospects, then have TB pay part of his salary.

Flight #24
06-19-2006, 12:24 PM
If we have to give up a couple of pitching prospects, then have TB pay part of his salary.

Ain't happening. This is a significantly below market contract that locks in CC for 5 years (including 2006), and in each year is substantially less than he'd be likely to make on the open market.

ilsox7
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Ain't happening. This is a significantly below market contract that locks in CC for 5 years (including 2006), and in each year is substantially less than he'd be likely to make on the open market.

Yep. His contract is one of the few in baseball that would actually increase his value in a trade.

Beautox
06-19-2006, 12:39 PM
yup, honestly id love to see Kenny acquire him, and let Brian go back down to AAA (i know hes amazing with his glove and is coming around with his bat) but just for a lil while, and then at seasons end and trade Scott.

Thome25
06-20-2006, 07:25 AM
yup, honestly id love to see Kenny acquire him, and let Brian go back down to AAA (i know hes amazing with his glove and is coming around with his bat) but just for a lil while, and then at seasons end and trade Scott.

If we acquired Crawford. I'd like to see us keep BA in the majors as a 4th oufielder type and dump Ross Gload.

beck72
06-20-2006, 10:56 AM
McCarthy wouldn't be part of any deal. That would be a non-starter. But Crawford would likely command Josh Fields, Lance Broadway and two pitchers from Heath Phillips, Sean Tracey and Charlie Haeger. Not saying I'd do it. But that would likely be the price.

DaleJRFan
06-20-2006, 11:05 AM

Scott Podsednik wouldn't need to be traded at the end of the season. His contract expires after 2006, so he could either be traded or non-tendered.

Why not include Pods in a deal for Crawford?

Pods + McCarthy + AA pitching prospect = Crawford?? Is that too crazy of an idea? I really don't like the concept of trading McCarthy. He is going to be very good as a starter, and he is going to be very good for a very long time. It makes no sense to trade him, no matter how good Carl Crawford is as a left fielder and lead-off man.

White Sox Randy
06-20-2006, 11:23 AM
1. I would not trade McCarthy. The best thing that the Sox have going is their 6-man rotation. Also, it will work out perfectly next year when Brandon moves in and we can get something really good back for one of our current 5 starters.

2. Crawford is one of those guys that a team would have to overpay for in order to get. That is not KW's m.o. - nor should it be. That is a desperation move. KW typically goes after guys when their value is down a bit when he can get a good deal. I don't see him making a deal for Crawford or any other stud that he would have to outbid 6-8 teams for.

Domeshot17
06-20-2006, 11:36 AM
McCarthy is the sticking point. If you can do it without losing him, then do it.

Think logically here, Crawford means your future OF will consist of him/sweeney/anderson/fields(if we resign crede)/speedy ass CF whos name I completely lost+pods and dye.

So say we send them Rogowski+one of Fields Sweeney or Owens(thats it!)+ Tracy+ Heager/Liotta/Broadway. That would idea and be solud for both teams.

thomas35forever
06-20-2006, 01:22 PM
If I remember correctly, the people on Baseball Tonight were saying that the Sox should go after Crawford a year ago around this time so they could have a quality bench. Trading for Crawford would finally fill the holes of Anderson's sluggish offense and possibly Mackowiak's mediocre defense.