PDA

View Full Version : Here's why KW is looking smart with 6 starters...

caulfield12
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
2006 OFFSEASON
Free Agents/Potential Free Agents (options)
Tony Armas, RHP - Was
Randy Wolf, LHP - Phi
Jason Jennings, RHP - Col
Tim Redding, RHP - ChiA
Arbitration Eligibles
Horacio Ramirez, LHP - ATL
Chris Young, RHP - SD
Brett Myers, RHP - Phi
John Patterson, RHP - Was
Others
Dave Bush, RHP - Mil
Oliver Perez, LHP - Pit

Bats -Free Agents
Carlos Lee, OF - Mil
Aubrey Huff, OF/DH - TB
Jermaine Dye, OF - ChA (the Sox will take the option, barring injury)
Arbitration Eligibles
Aaron Rowand, OF (T-Opt) - Phi
Austin Kearns, OF - Cin
Others
Ken Griffey, Jr., OF - Cin
J.D. Drew, OF - LAD (why would anyone give this guy big money?)
Elijah Dukes, OF - TB (AAA)
Gabe Gross, OF - Mil

Got this from one of the M's websites. The guy was really high on Elijah Dukes, but the consensus was that he was a huge character issue problem waiting to happen....the D-Rays aren't going to be able to get as much for Crawford or Gathright as they would like, because everyone knows they're overloaded with outfielders. Baldelli won't be traded IMO, until he re-establishes his full value. Probably not, even then, as he's one of the most popular D-Rays. Plus they have their AAA hothead to find PT for.

caulfield12
06-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka

Will KW fight with the rest of MLB to make a bid for this guy? He's going to cost a ton, and the White Sox usually don't have after this type of high profile, unproven big leaguer against the likes of the Yanks, Mets, Angels, M's, Dodgers, etc, in a all-out bidding war.

They would have to deal Garland and Garcia to afford him.

But they would have the best rotation in baseball history with him...

Contreras
Matsuzaka
Buehrle
Vazquez
McCarthy (these last two are probably interchangeable, with McCarthy seeming to have more upside at this point in his career)

gf2020
06-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Why isn't Zito on the list?

caulfield12
06-17-2006, 05:43 PM
http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_calltothebullpen/45/20060525/top_25_free_agents_of_the_upcoming_winter/

I have no idea where that guy got his list, but this one is much better. I laughed when it said the Royals might actually have a shot at Mulder.

Mulder or Pettitte would be intriguing as replacements for Buehrle, if it comes to that. Andy is getting a little old to gamble huge money on, though. Don't think so, but maybe we would look at Glavine as well, although the Mets look to keep their team together if they go anywhere in the post-season.

Baez, Dotel and LaTroy Hawkins will see their names come up a lot as teams look for relief help in June and July.

If Dotel is healthy, he changes the balance of power in the AL East, as Farnsworth has been inconsistent and Proctor their best set-up man. Don't see the Yankees dealing him obviously, but he would be someone to watch in the offseason.

Malgar 12
06-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka

Will KW fight with the rest of MLB to make a bid for this guy? He's going to cost a ton, and the White Sox usually don't have after this type of high profile, unproven big leaguer against the likes of the Yanks, Mets, Angels, M's, Dodgers, etc, in a all-out bidding war.

They would have to deal Garland and Garcia to afford him.

But they would have the best rotation in baseball history with him...

Contreras
Matsuzaka
Buehrle
Vazquez
McCarthy (these last two are probably interchangeable, with McCarthy seeming to have more upside at this point in his career)

Assuming he's not related to Kaz Matusui that is. No thanks. The Sox are better of saving that money to re-sign Buehrle.

Vernam
06-17-2006, 11:22 PM
Daisuke Matsuzaka

Will KW fight with the rest of MLB to make a bid for this guy? He's going to cost a ton, and the White Sox usually don't have after this type of high profile, unproven big leaguer against the likes of the Yanks, Mets, Angels, M's, Dodgers, etc, in a all-out bidding war.Nah, let's be patient. Let the Yankees screw up his delivery for a year or two. When they give up, we trade some non-entity for him while NY keeps paying half his salary. Coop turns the guy around and he starts in the '08 All Star game. :wink:

Vernam

DrGiggles
06-18-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_calltothebullpen/45/20060525/top_25_free_agents_of_the_upcoming_winter/

I have no idea where that guy got his list, but this one is much better. I laughed when it said the Royals might actually have a shot at Mulder.

Mulder or Pettitte would be intriguing as replacements for Buehrle, if it comes to that. Andy is getting a little old to gamble huge money on, though. Don't think so, but maybe we would look at Glavine as well, although the Mets look to keep their team together if they go anywhere in the post-season.

Baez, Dotel and LaTroy Hawkins will see their names come up a lot as teams look for relief help in June and July.

If Dotel is healthy, he changes the balance of power in the AL East, as Farnsworth has been inconsistent and Proctor their best set-up man. Don't see the Yankees dealing him obviously, but he would be someone to watch in the offseason.

I didn't see the White Sox listed as suitors for anyone on that list, maybe I missed it. I guess we are just the best team who needs no one. :smile: