PDA

View Full Version : Media's attacks on A.J. are getting annoying

swanson24
06-17-2006, 05:03 PM
In the newspapers, radio and television in Chicago sports A.j. Pierzynski is being attacked as an agitator with no guts to stand up for himself when other teams go after him. I do not understand this at all. The media is bringing up the two famous incidents of the 2006 season so far in which A.J. has been picked on during a game. The first incident being the Barret punch incident and the second being the Padilla bean ball game in Texas. The local mediots which have gone on to include even the somewhat respectable Bruce Levine at ESPN 1000 are saying that A.J. is not handling his business like a man on the field. They are calling him out for not punching Barret back and for not charging the mound against Padilla. These sports media morons would probably be calling out A.J. if he had actually thrown a punch or charged the mound by calling him a thug. Either way A.J. can't win the media once again is showing it's bias against the Sox.
I guess I just wanted to know how other Sox fans feel about this because I haven't heard anybody be it fans or media members defend A.J. Thanks for letting me vent and go White Sox!

southside rocks
06-17-2006, 05:19 PM
I had WSCR on in the car this afternoon and caught Matt Abattacola and Jason Goff -- undoubtedly two of the finer minds on the station roster -- saying that it was okay that Padilla hit AJ. Matt was going all off on how "stupid" the whole hit and retaliate thing is in baseball -- now there's a stinging critique, oh my -- but he did allow as how it didn't bother him much that AJ had gotten hit. Then he and Goff said that they were going to buy some Padilla jerseys and wear them.

Killingly funny stuff from two guys who have the combined IQ of a potato.

Here's the thing: why don't they do any ANALYSIS? Why is it all blame and more blame? Is it because they lack the ability to analyze?

Steve Stone's about the only thing worth listening to on that station. I don't have cable TV so I listen to the games with Farmer and Singleton, but I turn off the radio immediately after.

Long way of saying I share your frustration and disgust. The city has a WS Champion baseball team, but you wouldn't guess it from the coverage, IMO.

Brian26
06-17-2006, 06:31 PM
I had WSCR on in the car this afternoon and caught Matt Abattacola and Jason Goff -- undoubtedly two of the finer minds on the station roster -- saying that it was okay that Padilla hit AJ. Matt was going all off on how "stupid" the whole hit and retaliate thing is in baseball -- now there's a stinging critique, oh my -- but he did allow as how it didn't bother him much that AJ had gotten hit. Then he and Goff said that they were going to buy some Padilla jerseys and wear them.

I called into this show this afternoon at that time. You probably heard my call. I came on after the caller who said Tracey was "courageous" for not hitting Blalock even though Ozzie told him to. I said Tracey wasn't courageous at all, and the problem was that his control was so bad that he tried to hit Blalock twice and missed, and that's the reason Ozzie was mad. Abattacola seems like a scrubby-lover. He's quick to mention that reported story about AJ kneeing the SFGiants trainer in the groin. Yet, to this day none of us were there and really dont know what happened. What a couple of tools.

ws05champs
06-17-2006, 06:34 PM
I've had it with the Chicago sportsblab radio shows too. I think I'll be using my Sirius receiver in my car from now on.

southside rocks
06-17-2006, 09:04 PM
I called into this show this afternoon at that time. You probably heard my call. I came on after the caller who said Tracey was "courageous" for not hitting Blalock even though Ozzie told him to. I said Tracey wasn't courageous at all, and the problem was that his control was so bad that he tried to hit Blalock twice and missed, and that's the reason Ozzie was mad. Abattacola seems like a scrubby-lover. He's quick to mention that reported story about AJ kneeing the SFGiants trainer in the groin. Yet, to this day none of us were there and really dont know what happened. What a couple of tools.

Yeah, I came out of the Dunkin Donuts with my iced coffee in time to hear your call, and I was saying "THANK YOU" very loudly at your comment -- there were a few other callers who made sense too, but they got brushed off really quickly also. Abattacola was getting into the "morality" of hitting batters, but I noticed that he never mentioned PADILLA'S morality.

Maybe when that stuff annoys me that much, I should call in. They don't get many female callers and I could probably say some really snotty things very sweetly, which would be fun. :rolleyes:

DickAllen72
06-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Ever notice how in all the recent A.J. "controversies" (dropped third strike, tag without the ball, sucker punch by Michelle, HBP twice) A.J. is the only one involved that did absolutely nothing wrong, and in fact did the exact correct thing yet he is the one the home town media attacks?

And if a baseball is a "deadly weapon" where is Mariotti's outrage at A.J. being hit twice with the deadly weapon???

If it's so wrong to retaliate by hitting a batter with a pitch, why is it no big deal that A.J. got drilled with two fastballs?

Why have the local media stopped talking about Michelle Barrett's criminal action yet continue to attack A.J. for not "charging the mound"?

These media types are all a crock of ****.

DSpivack
06-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I think I stopped listening to sports radio when I was 14.

Palehose13
06-17-2006, 11:57 PM
In the newspapers, radio and television in Chicago sports A.j. Pierzynski is being attacked as an agitator with no guts to stand up for himself when other teams go after him. I do not understand this at all. The media is bringing up the two famous incidents of the 2006 season so far in which A.J. has been picked on during a game. The first incident being the Barret punch incident and the second being the Padilla bean ball game in Texas. The local mediots which have gone on to include even the somewhat respectable Bruce Levine at ESPN 1000 are saying that A.J. is not handling his business like a man on the field. They are calling him out for not punching Barret back and for not charging the mound against Padilla. These sports media morons would probably be calling out A.J. if he had actually thrown a punch or charged the mound by calling him a thug. Either way A.J. can't win the media once again is showing it's bias against the Sox.
I guess I just wanted to know how other Sox fans feel about this because I haven't heard anybody be it fans or media members defend A.J. Thanks for letting me vent and go White Sox!

Henry? Nah...lack of random capitalizations.

fusillirob1983
06-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Ever notice how in all the recent A.J. "controversies" (dropped third strike, tag without the ball, sucker punch by Michelle, HBP twice) A.J. is the only one involved that did absolutely nothing wrong, and in fact did the exact correct thing yet he is the one the home town media attacks?

And if a baseball is a "deadly weapon" where is Mariotti's outrage at A.J. being hit twice with the deadly weapon???

If it's so wrong to retaliate by hitting a batter with a pitch, why is it no big deal that A.J. got drilled with two fastballs?

Why have the local media stopped talking about Michelle Barrett's criminal action yet continue to attack A.J. for not "charging the mound"?

Exactly, he's an idiot for bringing up Tony Conigliaro. Tracey came so close to hitting the batter in the face.

SOXfnNlansing
06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
[quote=swanson24]The local mediots which have gone on to include even the somewhat respectable Bruce Levine at ESPN 1000quote]

:tealpolice:

Layla
06-18-2006, 05:15 AM
One thing I read after AJ got hit twice was that he said that yeah, he could have charged the mound. But he probably would have gotten suspended for five games. And how is his being out going to help the team? I thought that remark was true team spirit. Yes, he could have gotten his revenge, but then what?

Second, last night when Griffey had the dropped third strike in the bottom of the ninth, and AJ picked up the ball and tagged him. AJ is so aware of what is going on and what to do.

I can't help but feel that's the problem here. On one hand, you have Barrett, who is not that great on defense. Then you have AJ, who is just so damn good about calling pitches, knowing what's happening and what to do.

Let's face it, if the any other team had AJ right now, they would be thanking their lucky stars.

TDog
06-18-2006, 03:37 PM
I read a column by Tim Dahlberg, I think, a national bseball writer Saturday in which he said AJ is the second-most hated man in baseball by fans and his opponents "and only tolerated by his teammates."

The nice thing about sports journalism, apparently, is that you can make stuff up.

Unregistered
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I read a column by Tim Dahlberg, I think, a national bseball writer Saturday in which he said AJ is the second-most hated man in baseball by fans and his opponents "and only tolerated by his teammates."

The nice thing about sports journalism, apparently, is that you can make stuff up.
"If you play against A.J., you hate him,'' Guillen joked. "If you play with him, you hate him less.''

gaelhound
06-18-2006, 05:21 PM

Killingly funny stuff from two guys who have the combined IQ of a potato.

Here's the thing: why don't they do any ANALYSIS? Why is it all blame and more blame? Is it because they lack the ability to analyze?

Steve Stone's about the only thing worth listening to on that station. I don't have cable TV so I listen to the games with Farmer and Singleton, but I turn off the radio immediately after.

Long way of saying I share your frustration and disgust. The city has a WS Champion baseball team, but you wouldn't guess it from the coverage, IMO.One more insult to potato's and we will have a problem, you might want to take this talk to the roadhouse!

southside rocks
06-18-2006, 07:37 PM
One more insult to potato's and we will have a problem, you might want to take this talk to the roadhouse!

I apologize. You are absolutely right. A potato can be used to make a clock, which will keep accurate time. Clearly, a potato is *far* superior to the intellects of the two sports-radio jocks in question.

http://www.solidimages.com/3d/html/potatoclock.htm

soxwon
06-18-2006, 10:05 PM

Dont worry it will end
with the headline:
SOX WIN SECOND WORLD SERIES IN A ROW!!!

Dick Allen
06-18-2006, 10:26 PM
When talking about the local media, one of my favorite quotes from "Ball Four" always comes to mind: "Consider the source".

PatK
06-19-2006, 11:32 AM
That fat turd Jurko the other day went on another one of his long-winded (by which I mean he talks for 5 seconds before running out of breath) tirades about how AJ deserves all of this because he can't finish what he started.

He babbled incoherently about AJ and the Barret incident by having Pods tackle Barrett after the play, and that if he was a man, he'd have done it himself.

And he had no explanation for what he "started" to have Padilla plunk him twice.

Kudos to Carmen DeFalco who called out Jurko to bring up examples of what AJ started. With the Barrett incident, Carmen responded that AJ was being held by the umpire, to which Jurko weakly replied "Well he didn't seem like he was trying to hard to break free from the umpire". Carmen further took him to task by saying that AJ is no dummy and breaking away from the ump would have guaranteed a suspension and that he kept his cool.

Of course, Jurko had no explanation for what AJ "started" with Padilla, but that if he was a man, he'd have charged the mound. To which Carmen also replied that AJ knew he'd get suspended for doing so, and he knows he's too valuable to sit out 5-10 in a row.

Carmen then basically got Jurko to admit that he just doesn't like AJ because he's a Sox player with the ole' "you hate him if he isn't on your team" hogwash.

That's funny, because last time I checked, his ex-teammates on the Twins have had nothing bad to say about him, and the only teammate in San Fran I heard complaining about his was Brett Tomko, which lead to the "AJ is a bad apple" rumors.

Sorry Jerk, but your "I'm a fat blowhard Cubs fan that hates the Sox" routine veiled as an attempt to offer in depth analysis of baseball makes Harry Teinowitz look knowledgeable. And it cost you a listener.

Thome25
06-19-2006, 12:28 PM

Well said AJ took the high road by not retailiating against these morons and then he gets hammered for it?

He deserves credit for not doing what alot of us would have: Beating the snot outta Padilla and Barrett.

AJ just can't win he if he does the wrong thing in those situations then he gets blasted and if he does the right thing(which he did) then he still gets blasted.

The worst thing about that is he's taking a beating from the Chicago media. Which is wrong because that's the "home" media market.

Have they already forgotten that without AJ the White Sox don't win the World Series last year. He was a huge part of the championship run.

For that fact alone he should get some slack especially on Chicago.

southside rocks
06-19-2006, 12:57 PM
He babbled incoherently about AJ and the Barret incident by having Pods tackle Barrett after the play, and that if he was a man, he'd have done it himself.

What a moron -- did he even *watch* the video? As Barrett grabbed AJ, Pods was standing right behind them and the instant that Barrett let fly with his punch, Pods dropped his bat and went in to Barrett, with his head down -- which was a good thing, because Barrett took a swing at Pods! Podsednik wrestled Barrett to the ground and as he did so, Anderson came tearing up and took a huge swing at Barrett, this after Barrett had swung on both AJ and Pods.

AJ didn't "have Pods tackle Barrett" -- AJ was staggering backwards from Barrett's punch when Pods prevented Barrett from hitting anybody else.

Well, there's one radio show I will never listen to, and it might even merit an e-mail to the station telling them why.

vegyrex
06-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Paul Sullivan was dissing AJ on North's show this morning. :angry:

Sullivan is such an *ss monkey.

SBSoxFan
06-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Paul Sullivan was dissing AJ on North's show this morning. :angry:

Sullivan is such an *ss monkey.

So what. So was North. :angry:

MsSoxVixen22
06-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I've had it up to here with all the AJ bashing. I think alot of people are "hating" because AJ is smart. IMHO, it takes more man to NOT swing back or retailiate. Besides, we can't afford to have AJ suspended. I love AJ. I think he's one of the most agressive and smartest players out there. I would LOVE to see the media say what they do about AJ, to his face. No matter what AJ does he's under the microscope. A "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of thing. You know, if AJ DID sock Padilla and Barrett, they'd be calling him God knows what! I have to give AJ credit for dealing with all the **** that gets talked about him in this town! Oh how they forget, when the whole Cub brawl first happened, AJ tried to call Barrett and Barret wouldn't talk to him! I wish it would all stop. :(:

MsSoxVixen22
06-19-2006, 03:12 PM

Did you guys hear North saying that all the Sox fans in Cincy this weekend weren't really Sox fans, but Cub fans!!! :angry: *****!! I really really hate the Score. If the Sox weren't on there, I wouldn't be listening to it!

vegyrex
06-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Did you guys hear North saying that all the Sox fans in Cincy this weekend weren't really Sox fans, but Cub fans!!! :angry: *****!! I really really hate the Score. If the Sox weren't on there, I wouldn't be listening to it!

I have to admit that thought crossed my mind as well. But then you saw lots of people at the park wearing sox gear. I don't think cub fans would do that.

AJ said it seemed more like home game at Cincy. :smile:

PatK
06-19-2006, 04:47 PM

Of course I'm sure North's nuts shriveled up when AJ got on the show.

Someone needs to call that loudmouth punk out.

Droso5
06-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Well if you guys hated what North had to say you should have tuned into his show this morning with Pat Sullivan, famed Chicago Cubs beat writer. Pat had many awesome and in depth things to say about AJ not charging Padilla a few games back...some gems were "Well, he is mister Nacho Libre" (refering to him being a tough guy...I guess) "Well, he makes himself out to be 'mr. macho' and him not doing that (charging)was really weak" all attempts at North to tell 'Sullivan' that AJ was smart not to charge, his team needs him, 10 game suspensions are bad to a team in the pennant race etc, Sullivan had none of it.
In a cool Mike North moment, he replayed what Sullivan had to say to AJ when AJ did his interview, good stuff.

rookie
06-19-2006, 10:09 PM
I've had it up to here with all the AJ bashing. I think alot of people are "hating" because AJ is smart. IMHO, it takes more man to NOT swing back or retailiate. Besides, we can't afford to have AJ suspended. I love AJ. I think he's one of the most agressive and smartest players out there. I would LOVE to see the media say what they do about AJ, to his face. No matter what AJ does he's under the microscope. A "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of thing. You know, if AJ DID sock Padilla and Barrett, they'd be calling him God knows what! I have to give AJ credit for dealing with all the **** that gets talked about him in this town! Oh how they forget, when the whole Cub brawl first happened, AJ tried to call Barrett and Barret wouldn't talk to him! I wish it would all stop. :(:

Amen. I get so angry at all this AJ bs, I don't know how he and his family doesn't let it get to them. Thank goodness AJ is smart enough not to get himself suspended. That 2nd game in Cincy need his intelligence on that DP.

But at least Sox fans let him know that we love him. On Frank Thomas's 1st game back (the Monday after the Barrett brawl) everyone clapped louder when AJ came up to the plate.

When I let myself buy another Sox apparel item - it's going to have AJ's last name on the back (sorry I don't feel like spelling it).

harwar
06-20-2006, 06:43 AM
I watch a lot of games and almost all of the announcers from other teams were backing A.J. over the barrett incident(only the braves were ripping him) and most were commending him for NOT charging the mound after being hit by padilla a 2nd time.The fans all over baseball are booing A.J. because(like sheep) they think thats what they are supposed to do.
I believe that most of the media who are obvious cub fans just hate the White Sox so much that all they can do is attack them on the air because,dammitt,we just keep winning.
Also,i'm not at all surpirsed that paul sullivan attacked A.J.and called him gutless(i believe "wuss"is the word he used) for not charging the mound.That guy has been ripping the White Sox for years and only paid tribute temporarily for obvious reasons(to sell books).

SoxFanPrope
06-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Of all people, Mike Murphey the past two days has been saying that AJ should be the AL MVP. His argument is that while AJ does not have MVP-type numbers, he is the heart and soul of the team and that the team might not be where if AJ were not around.

MsSoxVixen22
06-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Of all people, Mike Murphey the past two days has been saying that AJ should be the AL MVP. His argument is that while AJ does not have MVP-type numbers, he is the heart and soul of the team and that the team might not be where if AJ were not around.

I agree 100%!

DickAllen72
06-20-2006, 04:50 PM

Other than the fact that he bleeds Cubbie Blue, Mike Murphy is probably the best baseball guy of all Chicago sports-talk radio hosts. Granted that's not saying much, but it is what it is.

southside rocks
06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
Other than the fact that he bleeds Cubbie Blue, Mike Murphy is probably the best baseball guy of all Chicago sports-talk radio hosts. Granted that's not saying much, but it is what it is.

Yeah, that's kind of like being the tallest of the seven dwarfs.

I agree about AJ; he's the sparkplug. I love the way he plays the game; I love his team spirit; and I love his willingness to talk and to be quoted. I even think that when AJ retires from baseball -- in 10 or 12 years -- he'd be a great sports radio jock. Could Chicago get so lucky? :D:

Scottiehaswheels
06-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I even think that when AJ retires from baseball -- in 10 or 12 years -- he'd be a great sports radio jock. Could Chicago get so lucky? :D:I'd love that idea as well but with half the town hating him I think it'd be extremely difficult for him to find work here... Plus I'm sure most retiring players would rather retire to say Florida/AZ/Cali instead of dealing with Chicago winters

miker
06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
I'd love that idea as well but with half the town hating him I think it'd be extremely difficult for him to find work here... Plus I'm sure most retiring players would rather retire to say Florida/AZ/Cali instead of dealing with Chicago winters
If you're as competitive as A.J. is, I imagine the world sports-blab radio would be a huge demotion.