PDA

View Full Version : How will this affect

Daver
02-07-2002, 07:10 PM
The CBA negotiation process?

Union seeks damages

By Hal Bodley and Rod Beaton, USA TODAY

The attempt to eliminate the Minnesota Twins and Montreal Expos this season could wind up costing baseball owners money.

The players union is pressing ahead with its grievance that owners violated the labor agreement when they voted Nov. 6 to fold two teams. The union said Wednesday that it will seek damages.

Agents say it has been harder to find jobs for players than in previous offseasons because of the uncertainty caused by contraction, which has been postponed a year, and a possible dispersal draft.

"It affected every single free agent this year," said Tommy Tanzer, whose clients include John Burkett and Sterling Hitchcock.

Rob Manfred, the owners' chief labor lawyer, dismissed talk of damage to the market. "Players have signed this winter just as they have every other winter," he said.

The sides agreed to recess the case until Feb. 26 and set a schedule of 10 hearings through April 10

doublem23
02-07-2002, 07:12 PM
and there's another shot in the proverbial foot :(:

pearso66
02-07-2002, 09:13 PM
we need someone to assassinate bud selig. that guy is a moron, and he wont step down anytime soon

PaleHoseGeorge
02-07-2002, 09:36 PM
This seems like the union is trying to save face with its rank and file. Sure, they might get damages awarded from the owners, but the bigger issue for the MLBPA is how poorly the free agents are doing in this winter's signings.

I noticed the union hasn't done anything rash, like breaking off negotiations over the CBA. They know doing a deal with the owners is in their own best interests, too. I doubt much will come of their move to get damages for contraction. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a judge awards them damages just the same.

This contraction idea of the owners is loaded with pitfalls.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
we need someone to assassinate bud selig. that guy is a moron, and he wont step down anytime soon

The sad thing is, if Selig is removed as commissioner, then the owners will just put another puppet like say Sandy Alderson to do the job. The days of the independent commissioner's office are over. The commissioner's office is a mouthpiece of the owners and will be until there's no such thing as MLB.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I noticed the union hasn't done anything rash, like breaking off negotiations over the CBA. They know doing a deal with the owners is in their own best interests, too. I doubt much will come of their move to get damages for contraction. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a judge awards them damages just the same.

You are undoubtedly correct, George, but I wonder how much talk of contraction really hurt free agents. I mean, how many free-agents were the Expos and Twins really going to sign, even without the threat of contraction? And contraction certainly didn't prevent any other team from signing players.

Really, the lack of a CBA was what prevented most teams from going out and spending money. Until they know what the deal is going to be for next season and beyond, they're not going to go nuts (unless, of course, they are the Yankees, and can afford to take tens of millions in losses, because their TV money is guaranteed!) Why should the Padres, for instance, make a run at signing a couple free agents when there might be a strike or lockout? Then you are just throwing away money.

Daver
02-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

You are undoubtedly correct, George, but I wonder how much talk of contraction really hurt free agents. I mean, how many free-agents were the Expos and Twins really going to sign, even without the threat of contraction? And contraction certainly didn't prevent any other team from signing players.

Really, the lack of a CBA was what prevented most teams from going out and spending money. Until they know what the deal is going to be for next season and beyond, they're not going to go nuts (unless, of course, they are the Yankees, and can afford to take tens of millions in losses, because their TV money is guaranteed!) Why should the Padres, for instance, make a run at signing a couple free agents when there might be a strike or lockout? Then you are just throwing away money.

The owners are guaranteed their TV money from FOX,whether they play or not.FOX is really stupid.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by daver

The owners are guaranteed their TV money from FOX,whether they play or not.FOX is really stupid.

I really doubt there will be a strike or lockout this time around. It would kill whatever goodwill still exists between the fans and MLB. And you can bet that they will have a heck of a time setting up a national TV contract after that...

:boston

With Karl Ravetch, I'm Peter Gammons, bringing you the 2005 World Series, live here on ESPN2!

FarWestChicago
02-07-2002, 10:02 PM
With Karl Ravetch, I'm Peter Gammons, bringing you the 2005 World Series, live here on ESPN2! Isn't that an upgrade from Fox Family? :smile:

Daver
02-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Isn't that an upgrade from Fox Family? :smile:

Yeah,but are we supposed to be keeping track?

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Isn't that an upgrade from Fox Family? :smile:

You know, I don't get Fox Family in San Francisco. I'm pretty sure that in SF at least, they ran all the games on regular Fox. Was it different down in Silicon Valley?

FarWestChicago
02-07-2002, 10:11 PM

You know, I don't get Fox Family in San Francisco. I'm pretty sure that in SF at least, they ran all the games on regular Fox. Was it different down in Silicon Valley? Yeah, I had all sorts of games on Fox Family. I didn't know I got it until I found a playoff game on it. :smile:

doctor30th
02-07-2002, 10:18 PM
now there won't be any games on fox family because it doesn't exist. Fox sold Fox family to ABC creating ABC family. Sorta sucks, it takes away a few other games we could see outher than sox games.

doctor30th
02-07-2002, 10:19 PM
and because Fox has the contract with baseball and not ABC, games arent' going to be on it.

Sorry, forgot that in the last post.

Huisj
02-07-2002, 10:38 PM
i can't hardly even see any sox games on tv until I get home in may, because my cable that comes with the dorm room i'm in doesn't have wgn (for what it's worth anyway). Then when I get home I get WGN, but that's still not too many games. so for christmas i got myself a super sweet grundig world traveler radio so that I can pick up am 1000 really good from here and listen to sox games on the radio. it's sweet, i can't wait till spring training to start making use of it.

9 more days!!! yippie

well if they don't have labor crap to delay it. that would really make this semester a drag.