PDA

View Full Version : For those who are in Cincy....

paciorek1983
06-17-2006, 08:56 AM
How do you like Great American Ballpark? Comparisons?

Are you meeting alot of other Sox fans there?

cbrownson13
06-17-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm not there, but I was last weekend when they played the Cubs. (It was free tickets and a road trip so I took my Cubs fan buddies up on it)

I strongly disliked the ballpark. To me it seemed like a very large minor league stadium. It just didn't have a professional feel to it for me. The scenery beyond the rightfield stands is kind of nice with the river and the hills.

People complained about new Comiskey being very concrete, this is just as bad. Plus it's $6.00 for a domestic beer!

itsnotrequired
06-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Plus it's $6.00 for a domestic beer!

Um, have you been to The Cell yet this year?

:?:

JohnBasedowYoda
06-17-2006, 10:46 AM

That man has no compassion for you or your food and drink tracker.

daveeym
06-17-2006, 11:17 AM
To me it seemed like a very large minor league stadium. It just didn't have a professional feel to it for me. The scenery beyond the rightfield stands is kind of nice with the river and the hills.

I was there over memorial day weekend and thought the exact same thing. I liked the park but it definitely has the feel of a large minor league stadium. From the "jumbotron" to the layout of the stadium, the announcer, the giveaways between innings etc.

cbrownson13
06-17-2006, 12:07 PM

Yeah. I didn't realize it was up to $6.00. I thought it was still at the 5.25. Which I guess basically is the same thing anyways.

Chips
06-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah. I didn't realize it was up to $6.00. I thought it was still at the 5.25. Which I guess basically is the same thing anyways.

It's $6.50 at Soldier Field, I fully expect it to be $7 this season.

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2006, 12:11 PM
So glad I don't drink beer!!!

itsnotrequired
06-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Chips, kick her off the team...

Chips
06-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Chips, kick her off the team...

Ahh, she's a base coach. But she is ON NOTICE.

C-Dawg
06-18-2006, 05:30 PM
I equate GABP with Jacobs Field. Change the seats to green and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. Same white-painted steel and concrete, same roof, etc. I'm really liking the dark "industrial" look of the black and grey steel at the Cell MUCH more than white, and of course our roof is much better.

Other than that, its nice. Really nice ushers; they didn't mind me walking all over the park snapping pics (I'll post a few tomorrow). Fans seemed cool and knowledgeable, really into the game. I was only there for the Saturday game, and it was so tense I was soaked with sweat after the game! I was exhausted! So glad the Sox rallied and won because it would have been such a let down had they lost.

Chisox003
06-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Very nice park, tons of Sox fans.

Good time

jabrch
06-18-2006, 05:47 PM
It's $6.50 at Soldier Field, I fully expect it to be $7 this season.

Did you see what they did to Season Parking at Soldier Field?

Up to $100? ***?

jenn2080
06-18-2006, 07:14 PM
I just got back from Cincy a bit ago and it was awesome. There were TONS of Sox fans. There was a Paulie chant going in the first inning of the Friday game. Walking down the street people were giving high fives and go sox all over. I met tons of cool people. The Reds fans were for the most part very cool. Saturday they were a bit angry...cant blame them....my favorite was a chant over the lets go white sox....the reds fans chanted go back to chicago.

The park is pretty cool. Not one of my favorites but I liked. All and all good times.

HartmanSox
06-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I equate GABP with Jacobs Field. Change the seats to green and you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. Same white-painted steel and concrete, same roof, etc. I'm really liking the dark "industrial" look of the black and grey steel at the Cell MUCH more than white, and of course our roof is much better.

Other than that, its nice. Really nice ushers; they didn't mind me walking all over the park snapping pics (I'll post a few tomorrow). Fans seemed cool and knowledgeable, really into the game. I was only there for the Saturday game, and it was so tense I was soaked with sweat after the game! I was exhausted! So glad the Sox rallied and won because it would have been such a let down had they lost.

Considering the budget for Great American Ballpark, I'd say they did the best they could, but I agree that it has a minor league feel. It also feels too open.

And I don't see a comparison with Jacobs Field. Jacobs Field is much much better IMO.

MushMouth
06-18-2006, 08:07 PM
The Ballpark is very nice - Great open view onto the Ohio River, no truly bad seats. Fairly easy to get around the park. Might have been some excessive gimmickry, but I didn't think of it as a big minor league park. Good park for the Reds... I'd guess at least 5k-8k Sox fans on Saturday, despite the Reds fan sitting next to me saying there were at least 10k (of the 40k capacity)! Great atmosphere.

Great weekend.

DumpJerry
06-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Just got back. Was at Friday's and Saturday's games. Great experience! There were so many Sox fans there, it felt like we were at a home game. Teh amount of noise for the Sox was really good, I'm sure the players really appreciated it.

I'll be at Baltimore for the enod of July series-looking forward to it!

Pics will be posted soon.

bayzbol44
06-18-2006, 08:17 PM
My trip went very well. The ballpark is nice. The ballpark tour should be a must. I wish the website would have given you more information on your tickets. For example, the $215 tickets behind home plate gave you all you can eat and drink. The food in that section also included a buffet. The seats in sections 122-126 included access to the Club Level. Club level is a very nice eating and drinking section. The Reds fans were very nice. The city is a bit weird. You have upper class stores with homeless people living in the streets right in front.

On Friday I drank martinis at Havana Martini Club just a few tables away from Ozzie, Freddy and their wives. I saw Jermaine Dye and a woman in the street getting a taxi. I also saw Ozzie's older kid with some lovely ladies out on Friday night.

On Saturday night I ate a late dinner and drank at a table next to Juan Uribe at Champps (in the Hyatt Regency).

MarySwiss
06-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Just got back. Was at Friday's and Saturday's games. Great experience! There were so many Sox fans there, it felt like we were at a home game. Teh amount of noise for the Sox was really good, I'm sure the players really appreciated it.

Looking forward to the pics, guy! Based on what I saw, it looked like a pretty nice venue. BTW, all three days, you Sox fans out there could be clearly heard and, in some cases, seen. Despite the crappy Cinci feed.

whitesoxwilkes
06-18-2006, 08:22 PM

I'll be in Multibore as well. Details to follow.

DumpJerry
06-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Looking forward to the pics, guy! Based on what I saw, it looked like a pretty nice venue. BTW, all three days, you Sox fans out there could be clearly heard and, in some cases, seen. Despite the crappy Cinci feed.
The ballpark is nice. I wish my Cub fan friends were there to shut them up about the "Ball Mall" crap they give me about Comiskey. The GABP makes Comiskey look like Wrigley-pre lights era. I'm not criticizing GABP, but it has a lot of activities behind the stands for kids (kind of like the Fundamentals Deck) and a sound stage were a band plays during the game and has a concert afterwards.

The Hall of Fame shop has a giant World Series trophy in it.

The sightlines and views of the river make it worth going to a doubleheader, BTW.

If you're there on a hot sunny day, stay away from the outfield, you will die there.

D. TODD
06-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Sox fans were everywhere, and the park is nice. It's not one of my favorites, but it's a nice ballpark. The food selections were a little weak though. All in all it was a good weekend, plus I got to see the Sox pull out victories Friday & Saturday.:gulp: The Reds hall of Fame connected to the park was nice as well, and it only cost 5 bucks if you had a ticket to the game. They had the 1919 world series featured since the Sox were in town.

MarySwiss
06-18-2006, 08:45 PM
The ballpark is nice. I wish my Cub fan friends were there to shut them up about the "Ball Mall" crap they give me about Comiskey. The GABP makes Comiskey look like Wrigley-pre lights era. I'm not criticizing GABP, but it has a lot of activities behind the stands for kids (kind of like the Fundamentals Deck) and a sound stage were a band plays during the game and has a concert afterwards.

The Hall of Fame shop has a giant World Series trophy in it.

The sightlines and views of the river make it worth going to a doubleheader, BTW.

If you're there on a hot sunny day, stay away from the outfield, you will die there.

Sweet boy, I live in Arizona! :tongue:

C-Dawg
06-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Sweet boy, I live in Arizona!

Yeah but that's a dry heat! I sweated about 30 gallons during that Saturday night game at GABP - it was that muggy.

:cool:

C-Dawg
06-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Oh, did anyone else notice that the Reds mascot "Gapper" looks a lot like onetime Sox mascot Ribbie? Maybe he's found new employment...

DumpJerry
06-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Yeah but that's a dry heat! I sweated about 30 gallons during that Saturday night game at GABP - it was that muggy.

:cool:
I did, too. However it was while Jenks was in there!

The Dude
06-18-2006, 10:07 PM

I feel sorry for you!:tongue:

chisoxfanatic
06-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I feel sorry for you!:tongue:

I don't feel sorry for me. It tastes worse than iced tea, IMHO.

Chips
06-18-2006, 10:26 PM

If by worse, you mean better, then yes.

soxstarter
06-18-2006, 10:39 PM
The atmosphere Saturday night was great. I needed that humidity and Jenks to help me sweat off a few pounds but the fan base was so much fun. My oldest daughter (age 9) really loved it too.

I do think DumpJerry forgot to mention the "code of conduct" advertised at Great American Stadium. "No public displays of affection." Yet somehow the kissing cam was still in use???

I guess Great American Traditions just cannot be stopped.

DumpJerry
06-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Ice tea is GREAT! For something to taste worse than that, it's still pretty good.

Of course, there are so many varieties of "ice tea" one cannot make a blanket generalization about it without defining what type of "ice tea" is being mentioned.

It's my understanding that ice tea does a gret job of killing germs, BTW.

ohiosoxfan12
06-18-2006, 11:09 PM
Yeah the ballpark is a little small, but it makes for more homers, which are always fun. I like it better than Jacobs field, plus the fans aren't as arrogant. Were the tailgaters towards the stairs from White Sox interactive? I got there and went to Gate D, but only saw a few people, so we set-up there. On our way to the field, i saw everyone else, i'm assuming it was you guys.

DumpJerry
06-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah the ballpark is a little small, but it makes for more homers, which are always fun. I like it better than Jacobs field, plus the fans aren't as arrogant. Were the tailgaters towards the stairs from White Sox interactive? I got there and went to Gate D, but only saw a few people, so we set-up there. On our way to the field, i saw everyone else, i'm assuming it was you guys.
I asked stadium personnel who were guiding fans outside the park where Lot D was located and got blank stares and was told that it might be "over there" in the direction of the Bengal's stadium and down below the street level......

chisoxfan83
06-19-2006, 04:50 AM
The park was nice but for capacity being 42-43k fans just seemed small. Didn't get around to trying alot of the food as the girlfriend and I went to rockbottom and montgomery inn boat house which was great. It was great with all the sox fans down there. Saturday night after the game they were doing the go go white sox chant down the streets, in the hotels etc. Seemed anywhere you went you ran in sox fans. Stayed at the Westin, we were getting on the elevator when the door opens who walks out but AJ which was really cool. Saturday night went to that Havana martini to meet up with some people we met at the game and who was at the bar but BA and Paulie. (Rob Mack came later) Went over talked with them for a little bit. For the most part people were just starring at them(besides all the women going to BA) you had some just going up to shake their hand but when they got up to leave they got a standing ovation as they walked out. All in all a great trip and it doesn't hurt either that the Westin forgot to charge us for the Valet parking for 2 nights@ $24 :bandance:

bayzbol44
06-19-2006, 08:02 AM
The park was nice but for capacity being 42-43k fans just seemed small. Didn't get around to trying alot of the food as the girlfriend and I went to rockbottom and montgomery inn boat house which was great. It was great with all the sox fans down there. Saturday night after the game they were doing the go go white sox chant down the streets, in the hotels etc. Seemed anywhere you went you ran in sox fans. Stayed at the Westin, we were getting on the elevator when the door opens who walks out but AJ which was really cool. Saturday night went to that Havana martini to meet up with some people we met at the game and who was at the bar but BA and Paulie. (Rob Mack came later) Went over talked with them for a little bit. For the most part people were just starring at them(besides all the women going to BA) you had some just going up to shake their hand but when they got up to leave they got a standing ovation as they walked out. All in all a great trip and it doesn't hurt either that the Westin forgot to charge us for the Valet parking for 2 nights@ $24 :bandance:

Damn, I walked by Havana that night and it didn't seem like anyone was in there. The night before Ozzie and Freddy were there and sitting in the back room, so I thought if any players were going to be there, they would be back there. I guess Paulie and BA like to stay with the people at the bar. Very nice! Damn me!

LauraJ14
06-19-2006, 09:08 AM
The ballpark tour was worth the $10, our guide went about 45 minutes over the time we we supposed to go. It was cool to sit in the dugouts and walk on the field.
The 7th inning stretch was lame as it seemed nobody sang, just listened to the band singing it. The ballpark was okay, although the angled seats to home plate were nice. I see that that there food prices were just as high as at the Cell.
It was great to see so many Sox fans at the game. We were pretty loud cheering and the Reds fans around us were pretty nice about us invading their city.
It was a great trip and the Sox won all 3 games, that was the best part!

anotherDCsoxfan
06-19-2006, 09:18 AM

Damn, $6 is cheap in my book.
Was paying $6.50 this weekend watching the Nationals take 2/3 from the Yankees.
Guess they have to make money some how here in DC -- sad when the team is already losing support and it's only the second year.

Is there a full survey of beer prices posted anywhere?

itsnotrequired
06-19-2006, 09:38 AM

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_mlb2006.cfm

White Sox Randy
06-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Considering the budget for Great American Ballpark, I'd say they did the best they could, but I agree that it has a minor league feel. It also feels too open.

And I don't see a comparison with Jacobs Field. Jacobs Field is much much better IMO.

I agree about Jacobs field. That is my favorite park so far.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I loved that ballpark.

There were 39K Saturday night and yet NO LINES all night for any concessions or bathrooms. It can handle large crowds far better than the Cell. What's great is they have a walkway around the walkway. Imagine if we had a another walkway around the park where the exit ramps are. So it's great, the outer walkway has additional concessions and bathrooms to handle large crowds.

Yes, it has a minor league feel to it. I thought that was a big, big positive. I enjoy that far more than the feel you get at a Wrigley Field. And you can totally do a one day trip for a Sunday afternoon game if you wanted to.

ChiSox Fan 68
06-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Got back in town from Cinci late last night. We had a GREAT time. The Sox fans completely took over the city – it was unreal. We weren’t at the Westin for more than 5 minutes before we ran into our first Sox player – Jose Contreras was in the elevator! We went to Game Day before the game on Saturday and met a ton of Sox fans, include Skottyj242 (nice to meet you!). The tailgate party was really fun, once we found it in Lot D under the bridge. I really liked the park a lot but I’m sure the atmosphere made it extra special. The cheers for Paulie, the Let’s Go White Sox – we’ve seen the Sox on the road in 5 other cities and have never seen the massive Sox fan showing that we did in Cinci. After the game we went back to the Westin to the lobby bar. One of Ozzie’s kids was working the crowd. Contreras came through to many cheers. We saw Mackowiak sprinting through the lobby. After many many beers, we called it a night. In the elevator up to the room, we ran into Greg Walker. He made fun of my Donn Pall jersey and then we got a picture with him.

Sunday we had a 3:55 flight so we watched the first part of the game at Rock Bottom. Unfortunately, our flight was delayed two hours so we could have gone to the game. I’m really bummed we missed such as awesome game, and Garland’s home run (they didn’t even have the game on at the airport bar!). The only good thing about being delayed is we saw the Sox charter flight leave. Their plane was at the gate next to ours. They bussed the team onto the tarmac and we had a good view of them all in their suits, getting on the flight to Chicago.

We’re headed to Toronto the first weekend of August and are seriously contemplating Pittsburg next week for a day.

daveeym
06-19-2006, 11:14 AM
Yes, it has a minor league feel to it. I thought that was a big, big positive. I enjoy that far more than the feel you get at a Wrigley Field. And you can totally do a one day trip for a Sunday afternoon game if you wanted to. I liked the park but the minor league feel just made it seem odd. I woudln't want it as our park. But all in all a good ballpark. You feel right on top of the field and the accessibility is nice.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-19-2006, 12:45 PM

That is crazy talk - Beer, Ice Tea (unsweetened) and water are the only three cold beverages I consume.

Rounding_Third
06-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Went to Friday's and Saturday's games. Atmosphere was fantastic. Cinci fans are friendly and knowlegable fans. Had a great time Friday afternoon watching the Cubs/Tigers game at Gameday Bar with some Reds fans and trash talking the Cubs. Cinci people went out of their way to help us with advice for best post game experience over the river - more than we could use but was right on and very appreciated! One even wrote an itinerary on a napkin. Liked GABP - very roomy with 40k fans. Good seats and great Reds fans!!!! Good variety of beer! Sox fans were awesome!

jongarlandlover
06-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I was there on Friday and Saturday. There were tons of Sox fans there and the Reds fans were, in general, pretty nice. I was sitting by tons of Sox fans so we were cheering almost constantly. :tongue:

I got Jon's autograph on a ball that Javy tossed me, so that was pretty cool. And we went to the Westin and Jim Thome and his family walked in the restaurant where we were eating breakfast, so we got his autograph on my hat after he came out and I got a picture with him. :D:

WizardsofOzzie
06-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Damn, $6 is cheap in my book.
Was paying $6.50 this weekend watching the Nationals take 2/3 from the Yankees.
Guess they have to make money some how here in DC -- sad when the team is already losing support and it's only the second year.

Lucky me that when i went to a vendor and got 2 beers, she forgot to charge me for the 2nd one. Never had i been so happy to pay $3 for a beer in my life :smile:

Scottiehaswheels
06-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Well just thought I'd give my recap of the series... Friday, left the GF's a bit late and we showed up just after the slam by Crede, walking into the park was interesting to hear the cheers of the crowd which was a lot of Sox fans... Sat by a nice group of both Reds/Sox fans in section 114 about 5 rows off the field... Reds fans were very complimentary of our team...

Saturday, ran into Pdimas/Skottyj at RedFish(awesome seafood joint I go to everytime I go to Cincy) Sat in section 113 about 5 rows up from Jenn2080 and her bro... GF's kid was given a ball (again!!! he must be lucky) by a fellow Sox fan that caught it during BP...

Sunday again sat in 113... Checked out the Reds HOF exhibit which was pretty cool.... They had a wall dedicated to showing how many hits Pete Rose had... The wall was 3 stories tall, baseballs were spaced about 3-4" apart and the wall was at least 20' wide... Impressive to say the least... The 1919 exhibit was little more than a video and a couple plaques so I was kind of disappointed in that... They did have the final out ball on display as well as some game used equipment from that series which was interesting.

Some observations..... Good food at the ballpark, lots of different things to choose from... Sox fans out in force although some were obvious first time road trippers and were acting pretty damn arrogant... :(:

Overall nice atmosphere, great series

jenn2080
06-20-2006, 10:09 AM
I put some up here but here is the link to my pics from the weekend

http://jphoto.fookazoo.com/album66