PDA

View Full Version : 14 possible starters

doctor30th
02-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Over soxfest, it had been repeated that we have the advantage of having 14 possible starting pitchers. So I looked into it and this is my best guess.

Givens

Ritchie, Buehrle

Almost Guaranteed:

Parque, Garland

Most likely for final spot:

Wright, Biddle, Glover, Barcelo

Outside chance:

Guerrier (rhp), Rauch (rhp), Malone (lhp), Porizo (lhp), Majewski (rhp), Ulacia (lhp)

I decided to rank them in the order of who I think would be most likely to replace the player in front of them. (so if glover and biddle didn't make it, Wright would). Any other guesses?

1. Buehrle
2. Ritchie
3. Parque
4. Garland
5. Glover
6. Biddle
7. Wright
8. Barcelo
9. Guerrier
10. Porizo
11. Malone
12. Rauch
13. Majewski
14. Ulcia

doublem23
02-07-2002, 07:09 PM
I really don't like the idea of Lorenzo Barcelo starting....

Daver
02-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Barcelo is expected to replace Sean Lowe as the all purpose pitcher.I have my doubts on his ability to even make the team though.

But then again what the hell do I know? ©

doctor30th
02-07-2002, 07:24 PM
I pick barcelo, because if Glover, Biddle, and Wright don't perform, I would think Biddle would take the Sean Lowe role, and if Barcelo is healthy, he could take the 5th spot.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by doctor30th
I pick barcelo, because if Glover, Biddle, and Wright don't perform, I would think Biddle would take the Sean Lowe role, and if Barcelo is healthy, he could take the 5th spot.

I agree with Daver - what is this, his second or third surgery? If he's 100%, he's great, but I'm starting to think he'll never be 100% for an entire season.

MattSharp
02-07-2002, 08:15 PM
yep

duke of dorwood
02-07-2002, 09:08 PM
Where's Matt Ginter on that list?

cornball
02-07-2002, 09:19 PM
Sounds like Parque will be a little behind at the start of the season....from KW on radio this week..

ode to veeck
02-07-2002, 09:36 PM
14 now ... and maybe three after we see how many labrums don't fall off by may 1!

barcello as a starter, cmon, he doesn't have enough scar tissue, I mean shoulder tissue left to be a starter.

Seriously though, I'll be (really) happy to get some late innings from him a couple times a week--really critical to have someone (or two) play the role sean lowe did last year

back to the propeller heads ...

Daver
02-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

back to the propeller heads ...

I don't know that I like being referred to that way. :redneck

doctor30th
02-07-2002, 10:02 PM
I think Matt Ginter is better suited as a reliever. If you want to put a different list up feel free to, this is what I think. I put it up to get some different opinions on it and to get some others to post different lists.

Daver
02-07-2002, 10:07 PM
I think Matt Ginter is better suited as a reliever. If you want to put a different list up feel free to, this is what I think. I put it up to get some different opinions on it and to get some others to post different lists.

If anyone is more suited as a releiver it is Danny Wright,he has yet to prove he can throw more than four solid innings.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by daver

If anyone is more suited as a releiver it is Danny Wright,he has yet to prove he can throw more than four solid innings.

Wright had three excellent starts last season, three decent ones, and six terrible ones.

If he can learn control, he'll be an outstanding pitcher. It's not so much that he can't go deep in games, he just throws so many pitches trying to find the plate that he's exhausted by the 6th or 7th inning.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Chisox_cali
02-07-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Wright had three excellent starts last season, three decent ones, and six terrible ones.

If he can learn control, he'll be an outstanding pitcher. It's not so much that he can't go deep in games, he just throws so many pitches trying to find the plate that he's exhausted by the 6th or 7th inning.

It will be interesting to see what happens with him.

Didn't he have a no-no going for like 7 innings and something like 120 pitches at that point. I think someone got a double for the first hit and they took him out of there so fast....If I'm not mistaken didnt he do that in the same Devil Dogs series Buehrle pitched the 1 hitter?

GASHWOUND
02-07-2002, 10:18 PM
Over soxfest, it had been repeated that we have the advantage of having 14 possible starting pitchers. So I looked into it and this is my best guess.

Givens

Ritchie, Buehrle

Almost Guaranteed:

Parque, Garland

Outside chance:

Guerrier (rhp), Rauch (rhp), Malone (lhp), Porizo (lhp), Majewski (rhp), Ulacia (lhp)

I decided to rank them in the order of who I think would be most likely to replace the player in front of them. (so if glover and biddle didn't make it, Wright would). Any other guesses?

1. Buehrle
2. Ritchie
3. Parque
4. Garland
5. Glover
6. Biddle
7. Wright
8. Barcelo
9. Guerrier
10. Porizo
11. Malone
12. Rauch
13. Majewski
14. Ulcia

Hmmm, the order I would go is
Buehrle
Ritchie
Garland
Glover
Parque
Biddle

If the others HAVE to start or our better than the mentioned above, than there's a prob.

I know Parque will end up as a starter, but I think he's more reliabe in the pen. Garland I think will build on last year and have a 'break out year"
Glover has alot of potential to be both a starter and a dominant relief guy.
Barcelo WON'T be starting anytime soon. Not just cause of the surgery, but he's more suited for the pen.

BUT I don't see any TRUE dominant #1 starter up there. Buehrle still needs to prove he can do this every year and is not a "one hit wonder." So lets hope.

doublem23
02-07-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Didn't he have a no-no going for like 7 innings and something like 120 pitches at that point. I think someone got a double for the first hit and they took him out of there so fast....If I'm not mistaken didnt he do that in the same Devil Dogs series Buehrle pitched the 1 hitter?

Yeah... Wasn't that in the same set that Burly had that 1-hitter against Tampa Bay? Maybe....

I remember listening to Hawk during the game (it's one of the few games on WGN, meaning i can watch it in my room, away from my Cubbie family)... You can tell he so just wanted to say, "Danny Wright has a no-hitter going through so many innings," but he didn't want to jinxed it... It was almost like suppressed joy when someone finally got a hit :smile:

voodoochile
02-07-2002, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

Yeah... Wasn't that in the same set that Burly had that 1-hitter against Tampa Bay? Maybe....

I remember listening to Hawk during the game (it's one of the few games on WGN, meaning i can watch it in my room, away from my Cubbie family)... You can tell he so just wanted to say, "Danny Wright has a no-hitter going through so many innings," but he didn't want to jinxed it... It was almost like suppressed joy when someone finally got a hit :smile:

I was at the BurlyMon game. Great stuff. He was just mowing them down.

Wright had like 7 walks in the first 4 innings in that game that is why his pitch count was so high. Personally, I think he is going to be a stud if he can ever get his act together. He is strong, throws a heavy pitch with good movement and can throw 92+ late in games. He is my sleeper candidate for breakout season.

kermittheefrog
02-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

I was at the BurlyMon game. Great stuff. He was just mowing them down.

Wright had like 7 walks in the first 4 innings in that game that is why his pitch count was so high. Personally, I think he is going to be a stud if he can ever get his act together. He is strong, throws a heavy pitch with good movement and can throw 92+ late in games. He is my sleeper candidate for breakout season.

I was at the Buehrle game too. I stole some sweet seets a few rows back just next to the net. The moron next to me spent the whole game talking on a cell phone and when the crowd stood up for the final out the guy asks "what's going on?" and I tell him Buehrle is finishing up a one hitter and he asks who's Buehrle. I should have asked him if he was a Cubs fan....

Kilroy
02-08-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
...I should have asked him if he was a Cubs fan....

From what you said, I don't think you needed to ask that question. It was already answered...

hold2dibber
02-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I was at the Buehrle game too. I stole some sweet seets a few rows back just next to the net. The moron next to me spent the whole game talking on a cell phone and when the crowd stood up for the final out the guy asks "what's going on?" and I tell him Buehrle is finishing up a one hitter and he asks who's Buehrle. I should have asked him if he was a Cubs fan....

You're a better man than I, Kermit. I would have been hard pressed not to grab the cell phone and stomp it into pieces. I'd rather sit in the last row of the last section of the upper deck than next to such a moron. But one of the great things about going to Sox games is such morons are few and far between (as opposed to the minor league team in town).

hold2dibber
02-08-2002, 01:35 PM

Givens

Ritchie, Buehrle

Almost Guaranteed:

Parque, Garland

Outside chance:

1. Buehrle
2. Ritchie
3. Parque
4. Garland
5. Glover
6. Biddle
7. Wright
8. Barcelo
9. Guerrier
10. Porizo
11. Malone
12. Rauch
13. Majewski
14. Ulcia

When I look at that list, one of the first things that pops to mind is, "What the hell would they have done if they dealt Garland to the Angels for Erstad?" If they had made that deal, Parque has to start and two of Glover/Biddle/Wright (or maybe Ginter) are in the starting rotation. While I think all of those guys have potential, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see them making up 2/5's of my starting rotation at this point in their careers (Garland has shown much more, IMO, than the others thus far). It makes me think KW had a veteran starter in his sights to go after had the Garland/Erstad deal gone through.

czalgosz
02-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

When I look at that list, one of the first things that pops to mind is, "What the hell would they have done if they dealt Garland to the Angels for Erstad?" If they had made that deal, Parque has to start and two of Glover/Biddle/Wright (or maybe Ginter) are in the starting rotation. While I think all of those guys have potential, I sure as hell wouldn't want to see them making up 2/5's of my starting rotation at this point in their careers (Garland has shown much more, IMO, than the others thus far). It makes me think KW had a veteran starter in his sights to go after had the Garland/Erstad deal gone through.

Parque will probably be a starter anyway.

They definitely were going to give up way too much for one year of Darin Erstad, but I think both Glover and Biddle will have better seasons this year than Garland. Garland got very lucky on his ERA last season - he got hit a lot harder than his numbers show. While I do think he'll have a major-league average season, I think he'll disappoint a lot of people on this board.

Huisj
02-08-2002, 02:28 PM
The other start from Danny Wright that I remember besides that Devil Rays one was in Seattle when he battled Abbott for like 7 or 8 innings and left with the lead, but then Foulke blew it in the ninth. Anyways, he looked really stinking good that game, it was fun to watch . . . until the 9th at least.

that was the night after another sweet game where the mariners were up, and they brought in sasaki, and hawk was going on an on about how amazing it was that he had given up fewer walks+hits than total innings pitched--and sasaki preceeded to fall apart and give up a ton of runs, and the sox won.

that game ranked up with the game two years ago when the sox beat rivera in the ninth at comiskey on lee's leadoff homer and then valentin's bloop game winning single. those comebacks against good closers are so fun to watch.