PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Weekly's Hot 100

yyz
02-07-2002, 05:41 PM
Baseball Weekly has published the 50 hitters on its Hot 100. (The 50 pitchers come next week.)

The criteria are 1) no more than half a season in the majors and 2) likely to make an impact in 2002.

Borchard, Crede, Harris and Rowand make the list.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2002-02-06/2002-02-06-top-100-hitters.htm

On another note, the first game of spring training is 22 days away. I'm getting pretty fired up.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 05:47 PM
That will be interesting to see... out of those four (Borchard, Harris, Rowand, Crede) who will make the team first? Well, probably Rowand, but what I'm asking is, who do you think will be the first called up from the minors this year after ST? I think Harris.

beausox
02-07-2002, 05:56 PM
From what I have read at several places, Rowand may start off the year in AAA so he can play every day. I'm not totally sure I agree with it, but it might be best for him.

I would also pick Harris as the next to reach the majors. His versatility gives him the best opportunity, especially if Durham gets hurt.

Spiff
02-07-2002, 05:57 PM
On Crede:

He will battle veteran Jose Valentin for the starting job at third base. Though Valentin could wind up at third for the White Sox to start the season, they seem ready to give Crede a shot at the job. A Triple-A All-Star in 2001, the 23-year-old has been touted as their third baseman of the future for a while. He twice has won league MVP honors, despite missing a half-season with a broken foot at one point. Defensively he certainly is major league-ready.

So why do people still think he will flop? That is pretty damn impressive.

Randar68
02-07-2002, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
On Crede:

Because people open their mouths without factual basis or actual knowledge...

MattSharp
02-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00
On Crede:

He will battle veteran Jose Valentin for the starting job at third base. Though Valentin could wind up at third for the White Sox to start the season, they seem ready to give Crede a shot at the job. A Triple-A All-Star in 2001, the 23-year-old has been touted as their third baseman of the future for a while. He twice has won league MVP honors, despite missing a half-season with a broken foot at one point. Defensively he certainly is major league-ready.

Hes only 23? Wow. I thought he was a lot older....

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

Hes only 23? Wow. I thought he was a lot older....

He turns 24 at the end of April. He was drafted in '99 I believe.

Vsahajpal
02-07-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

He turns 24 at the end of April. He was drafted in '99 I believe.

Joe Crede was drafted in 1996.

czalgosz
02-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Joe Crede was drafted in 1996.

He was drafted at 18? That would mean that he spent 3 years in the low minors. I did not know that...

Vsahajpal
02-08-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

He was drafted at 18? That would mean that he spent 3 years in the low minors. I did not know that...

Yessir, out of Westphalia HS in Missouri. I wonder if he played against Buehrle...

He was MVP of the Carolina League 3 years ago. Are they waiting for him to reach Jason Lane status!?!

let him play!

RichH55
02-08-2002, 09:50 AM
What were Crede's numbers last year on the farm? IIRC he either regressed or didnt take it up a notch like you would hope, for whatevers thats worth...and I dont favor Crede getting playing time over Jose at 3b, yet another reason Royce has to go or be benched

irish rover
02-08-2002, 12:07 PM
I see only two cubs made it and and it looks like Corey "Cub fans think I'm the next Willie Mays" Patterson's light is beginning to flicker

Iwritecode
02-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by beausox
From what I have read at several places, Rowand may start off the year in AAA so he can play every day. I'm not totally sure I agree with it, but it might be best for him.

I would also pick Harris as the next to reach the majors. His versatility gives him the best opportunity, especially if Durham gets hurt.

Does anyone else think that they could have a scrimmage game between the AAA team and the major league team and it would be a pretty close battle?

The AAA outfield could be filled out with Rowand, Borchard and Harris. Crede at third, Hummel at second, Rauch pitching and Josh Paul catching. I'm not real sure about SS or 1B though...

czalgosz
02-08-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Does anyone else think that they could have a scrimmage game between the AAA team and the major league team and it would be a pretty close battle?

The AAA outfield could be filled out with Rowand, Borchard and Harris. Crede at third, Hummel at second, Rauch pitching and Josh Paul catching. I'm not real sure about SS or 1B though...

Shortstop would probably be Dellaero, and first base would be Eric Battersby (there's a reason you haven't heard of him). Don't forget pwer-hitting outfielder Mario Valenzuela - he's considered a sleeper prospect. He'll probably DH a lot for the Knights.

For the second year running, we'll be trotting out the best AAA team out there.

RichH55
02-08-2002, 08:32 PM
Looking it over...could be as many as 6 MLB guys for 2003 just position wise.....I think this year is still sort of a building year(not rebuilding), but in 2003 it might be the time to make a trade or signing to go for that championship juggular

beausox
02-09-2002, 12:13 AM
I may be mistaken, but a couple years ago, I think it was in 2000, the Twins played an exhitbtion game against their AAA team and their AAA team won. Todd Walker was playing in AAA at the time and he and Tom Kelly weren't getting along. he said he would rather play in AAA than play in the majors for the Twins. So they sent him to Colorado.