PDA

View Full Version : Riske Debut....

KRS1
06-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Impressive.

Still has the same stuff I remember him having against us, low 90s heater, snapping slider. Nice acquisition.

mccoydp
06-16-2006, 08:49 PM
20006 Riske=2005 Politte (??)

What I mean by the above is that he might be the answer to the void left by Cliff's troubles and subsequent absence.

Good stuff tonight. The bullpen has really settled down over the past four series.

SCarolina_Ron
06-16-2006, 08:50 PM
2 K's & a fly out in debut:bandance:

KRS1
06-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Good stuff tonight. The bullpen has really settled down over the past four series.

The difference is, Riske has a track record of success, so him having another good season would be considered the rule, not the exception. Some of his fastballs seemed a little flatter than usual, but most of them were still moving nicely.

IlliniSox4Life
06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Theres nothing RiSKY about him pitching!!!!! LOL HAHA ROFLCOPTER LMAO1111!!!1!1!!!!

Frankfan4life
06-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Great Sox debut by Riske. Nice 1-2-3 inning. At first I thought he was going to give up the DLOW but then he came back and got Dunn to K. Looks like another great pick up. Thanks KW!

mccoydp
06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
The difference is, Riske has a track record of success, so him having another good season would be considered the rule, not the exception. Some of his fastballs seemed a little flatter than usual, but most of them were still moving nicely.

Another great season from him would be oh so nice.

spawn
06-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Before we get too excited, let's remember: it's one appearance. A week from now, if he's giving up 3-4 runs in an appearance, everyone will be wanting his head on a platter...

zach074
06-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Theres nothing RiSKY about him pitching!!!!! LOL HAHA ROFLCOPTER LMAO1111!!!1!1!!!!

aw man i was hoping to be the first one to make a lame Risky joke.

sodfatherjunior
06-16-2006, 08:55 PM
[quote=mccoydp]20006 Riske=2005 Politte (??)

What I mean by the above is that he might be the answer to the void left by Cliff's troubles and subsequent absence.

quote]

Are you sure you're not comparing the two b/c of the fact that both of their last names can be a cheesy play on words.

Frankfan4life
06-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Before we get too excited, let's remember: it's one appearance. A week from now, if he's giving up 3-4 runs in an appearance, everyone will be wanting his head on a platter...And rightfully so! :tongue:

KRS1
06-16-2006, 08:57 PM
Before we get too excited, let's remember: it's one appearance. A week from now, if he's giving up 3-4 runs in an appearance, everyone will be wanting his head on a platter...

I was commenting on what I saw from him stuff-wise, not really praise. I wasnt sure what to expect from him, especially after a back injury, but he has maintaned his stuff and looked impressive.

mccoydp
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
[quote=mccoydp]20006 Riske=2005 Politte (??)

quote]

Are you sure you're not comparing the two b/c of the fact that both of their last names can be a cheesy play on words.

You are much quicker (and wittier) than I. I didn't even notice.:D:

LuzinskiFan
06-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Another brilliant move by the greatest GM in professional sports. Let's add it to the following list:

-Contreras for Loiaza
-Cotts for Foulke (I'll leave out Billy Koch - we don't need to mention him)
-Garcia for Olivo, Reed
-Jenks off waivers
-Thornton for Bobby Boucher Waterboy
-Riske for Lopez (a great free agent signing)
-Vazquez and Pods for El Duque, Vizcaino and El Caballo (2 deals combined)
-Cintron for Bajeranu or however you spell it
-Gload for a minor leaguer
-Gooch from Japan
-Ozuna free agent
-Thome for A Row
-Uribe for Aaron Miles
-Dye free agent
-Mackowiak for a guy we booed out of town

Who's better than Kenny - Nobody!

spawn
06-16-2006, 09:07 PM
I was commenting on what I saw from him stuff-wise, not really praise. I wasnt sure what to expect from him, especially after a back injury, but he has maintaned his stuff and looked impressive.
Oh, I agree 100% with you here. But I'm just hoping he's consistent. Tonight, his stuff was good...he looked like the Sox killer of old.

TornLabrum
06-16-2006, 09:08 PM

:darkcloud:

Fake Chet Lemon
06-16-2006, 09:39 PM
Another brilliant move by the greatest GM in professional sports. Let's add it to the following list:

-Contreras for Loiaza
-Garcia for Olivo, Reed
-Jenks off waivers
-Gooch from Japan
-Ozuna free agent
-Thome for A Row
-Uribe for Aaron Miles
-Dye free agent

Gotta love the fact the Phillies are paying for half of Thome's salary.

Dan Mega
06-16-2006, 09:55 PM

Homefish? Is that you?:wink:

jabrch
06-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Getting a guy like Riske at the trade deadline - not all that impressive.

But getting a guy like that in mid JUNE? That's impressive. Nice job by KW. I'm sure that's not his last move either. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see us add one more reliever.

oeo
06-16-2006, 11:08 PM
:darkcloud:

That's actually true. One bad outing, and the people around here will think he's terrible. Just think about Cotts and McCarthy.

mmmmmbeeer
06-16-2006, 11:11 PM

But getting a guy like that in mid JUNE? That's impressive. Nice job by KW. I'm sure that's not his last move either. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see us add one more reliever.

It's always seemed that all the bullpen acquisition/trade rumor threads, here and elsewhere, concentrated on acquiring a pitcher from a team that was out of the race. Of course, that's common sense and certainly what any learned baseball fan would expect...unless you're a white sox fan and you have kenny williams as a GM. I NEVER would have guessed he would target an historically effective pitcher on a contender's team and manage to scnhag him in exchange for, basically, peanuts. I mean, that's unheard of. Beautiful job by KW to identify an emotional weakness (lack of reliable lefty relievers, even though none are any better/worse than Lopez) in the competition and use it to benefit our squad.

I hope Riske showed us a sign of things to come this season. Make Boston regret making this deal.

Beautox
06-16-2006, 11:43 PM

lol @ roflcopter

California Sox
06-16-2006, 11:49 PM
-Thome for A Row

Agree that Kenny's doing a great job, but you're leaving major players CYoung and Gio out of these two deals. One of the reasons Kenny's able to make so many trades is he gives fair value. These deals were good for the Phillies, D-backs, and Brewers as well as the Sox. Same with the Riske trade, that's a deal that will help both sides.

russ99
06-17-2006, 12:04 AM

Wow, that's a really impressive one. Now if only both of those players can play to potential the rest of this season.

Unregistered
06-17-2006, 12:18 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4492&d=1150521414

getonbckthr
06-17-2006, 01:38 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4492&d=1150521414
God is that you? Oh i'm sorry its only unregistered.

RealMenWearBlack
06-17-2006, 02:13 AM

I really hope we are able to pick up another reliever. I doubt we'll have another Bobby Jenks come up from the minors and it's possible that Riske will have fewer and fewer appearances as the season goes on, not unlike Hermanson last year. Hopefully we'll have some good news about Hermanson soon so we won't even have to worry about aquiring another reliever.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-17-2006, 02:21 AM
I really hope we are able to pick up another reliever. I doubt we'll have another Bobby Jenks come up from the minors and it's possible that Riske will have fewer and fewer appearances as the season goes on, not unlike Hermanson last year. Hopefully we'll have some good news about Hermanson soon so we won't even have to worry about aquiring another reliever.
Agreed. I really do miss Dustin...

Someone said he was considering retiring...is this true?

balke
06-17-2006, 06:58 AM
If Hermanson can come back healthy in July or early August, and if Cliff comes back at all this season, we're going to be unstoppable down the stretch.

Beautox
06-17-2006, 08:16 AM

Actually we do, his name is Eduardo Sierra (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Edwardo%20Sierra&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=430682), we claimed him off of waivers from the Colorado Rockies. "Sierra throws hard, reaching the mid-90s with ease and topping out at 98 mph with his fastball. He also has an 81-86 mph slider and an 87-91 mph splitter, but he lacks consistency with those pitches as well as with his control." - Jim Callis from baseball america (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/050728chacon.html)

you can also find a write up of him found here (http://www.futuresox.com/frontpage/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=279) from www.futuresox.com (http://www.futuresox.com)

Mickster
06-17-2006, 08:49 AM

Homefish??? :?: :?: :?:

Edit: Dan Mega, beat me to it!! :)

IronFisk
06-17-2006, 12:29 PM

-Contreras for Loiaza
-Garcia for Olivo, Reed
-Jenks off waivers
-Gooch from Japan
-Ozuna free agent
-Thome for A Row
-Uribe for Aaron Miles
-Dye free agent

Wow - that Contreras deal is looking like the steal of the decade!

Hitmen77
06-17-2006, 03:15 PM

-Contreras for Loiaza
-Garcia for Olivo, Reed
-Jenks off waivers
-Gooch from Japan
-Ozuna free agent
-Thome for A Row
-Uribe for Aaron Miles
-Dye free agent

Don't forget Chris Widger as a non-roster invitee. He's been awesome as a backup catcher.

ChiSoxFan7
06-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Don't forget Chris Widger as a non-roster invitee. He's been awesome as a backup catcher.

Like another manager is what everyone says about him. Great Veteran Leadership.

ViPeRx007
06-18-2006, 03:07 AM

http://www.theslant.com/jam/images/downer.jpg

Mercy!
06-18-2006, 09:34 AM

What I mean by the above is that he might be the answer to the void left by Cliff's troubles and subsequent absence. ... I'm too busy trying to figure out how old I'll be in 20,006.:tongue:

But yes, based on one appearance - Woo Hoo! Especially after perusing the Sons of Sam board for their opinions. You'd a thunk he had nothing left to contribute. Well, except for those who felt the Red Sox had been fleeced in the deal.