PDA

View Full Version : Old School Farmio In Texas

Minnie Me
06-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I know the game has changed since 1980 but while in a short stint with the Rangers ,Farmio knocked two Royals out in the same game back in the early 80's.
During an 87 loss to Texas, Kansas City lost two regulars, both as a result of being hit by pitches from Ed Farmer. Al Cowens fractured jaw (21 games) and Frank White broken hand (33 games).
Maybe this is why Farmer called out Vasquez for not taking care of business in Texas the other day.

southside rocks
06-16-2006, 02:56 PM
I know the game has changed since 1980 but while in a short stint with the Rangers ,Farmio knocked two Royals out in the same game back in the early 80's.
During an 87 loss to Texas, Kansas City lost two regulars, both as a result of being hit by pitches from Ed Farmer. Al Cowens fractured jaw (21 games) and Frank White broken hand (33 games).
Maybe this is why Farmer called out Vasquez for not taking care of business in Texas the other day.

That's not cool. :o: That kind of retaliation has to be for some pretty serious stuff, not the bush crap that Padilla showed the Sox this week. Otherwise Farmer -- and I love him tons -- was just way over the top.

Minnie Me
06-16-2006, 03:59 PM
That's not cool. :o: That kind of retaliation has to be for some pretty serious stuff, not the bush crap that Padilla showed the Sox this week. Otherwise Farmer -- and I love him tons -- was just way over the top.

Some months later when Farmer was with the Sox, Cowens after getting a base hit charged the mound towards Farmer instead of running to first base. They eventually settled the affair when Farmer said he would drop the charges if Cowens shook hands with him, which was done at home plate. I', sure one of the historians here has more details regarding this affair.

Trav
06-16-2006, 04:09 PM

Over the top? Prolly. But that is the way it was and you can bet that there were not as many players showing up the pitchers after home runs. When players police themselves, the sport is much better for it.

eriqjaffe
06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Some months later when Farmer was with the Sox, Cowens after getting a base hit charged the mound towards Farmer instead of running to first base.I was at that game - I was sitting in the front row behind the tarp along the first-base line.

PaulDrake
06-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Here is a good historical account of the Farmer/Cowens feud. Joe Falls a sports writer from the Detroit Free Press help broker the truce between the 2 ballplayers.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/C/Cowens_Al.stm

Cowens, a decent player who won a Gold Glove died of a heart attack at age 50 in 2002.

PatK
06-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Farmio has always said he wasn't trying to hurt either player.

And I think he only hit about 10-12 guys in his career.

Zisk77
06-16-2006, 05:00 PM

Actually, Cowens didn't get a hit. He grounded out to short. Mike Squires picked the the low throw out of the dirt then ran over to the mound to help Farmer. Cowens would be then taunted by fans as Al "Coward" Cowens.

Lip Man 1
06-16-2006, 05:08 PM
There's more to the story then has been said in this thread. Later on in the month all will be revealed in another installment of This Date In Sox History.

:smile:

Lip

wilburaga
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Cowens holds the distinction of being the last player to hit into a triple play at Old Comiskey. (Baines to Bernazard to Squires, 8/31/1981)

W

StillMissOzzie
06-16-2006, 06:04 PM
There's more to the story then has been said in this thread. Later on in the month all will be revealed in another installment of This Date In Sox History.

:smile:

Lip

This should be soon, too, as a bit 'o research says that Cowens charging the mound happened on 6/20/80

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfan64
06-16-2006, 06:29 PM
I think Cowens had to skip a series here with the Sox after the incident because there was a warrant put out for his arrest.

southside rocks
06-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Over the top? Prolly. But that is the way it was and you can bet that there were not as many players showing up the pitchers after home runs. When players police themselves, the sport is much better for it.

You're right, it was way different. I am actually old enough to remember that. :rolleyes:

Okay, now I'm curious: does anybody know why Farmer hit those two? What was he settling?

TheBull
06-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Was Cowens plunked by Farmer for being known as a "peeker?" I recall someone having his jaw broken by a pitch due to peeking at the catcher's signs and then failing to get out of the way of a fast ball when a curve was expected.