PDA

View Full Version : Sox - Rangers Feud

Lip Man 1
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Just FYI...the Sox-Rangers have had a longer history then just in recent years.

The feud actually began on August 10, 1990 in the second game of a DH at Comiskey Park and ironically Ozzie was a part of things.

The Sox had already won the first qame and in game #2 in the 2nd inning both Craig Grebek and Ozzie hit back to back home runs off NOLAN RYAN!!!

Needless to say Ryan wasn't pleased and started throwing 'up and in' to Sox hitters the rest of the time he was in the game.

Things carried over the following week in Texas. On August 17,1990 in the first game of another DH Ryan continued to throw up and in. Finally the Sox had enough. In the 5th inning Sox pitcher Greg Hibbard nailed the Rangers Steve Buechele. Buechele charged the mound and a brawl ensued. He was tossed from the game. This was the same night where in game #2 Carlton Fisk would hammer a pitch from Charlie Hough to set the record for most home runs by a catcher.

The next installment prior to Wednesday night's fiasco came on August 4, 1993. In the 3rd inning Ryan nailed Robin Ventura with a pitch. Ventura finally had enough of the Sox getting thrown at by Ryan the previous three years and charged the mound. It wasn't the smartest thing to do, especially with 'Pudge' Rodriguez pinning his arms from behind. Ryan nailed Ventura a few times right in the head before the rest of the team converged and pulled him out of there.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
06-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Just FYI...the Sox-Rangers have had a longer history then just in recent years.

The feud actually began on August 10, 1990 in the second game of a DH at Comiskey Park and ironically Ozzie was a part of things.

The Sox had already won the first qame and in game #2 in the 2nd inning both Craig Grebek and Ozzie hit back to back home runs off NOLAN RYAN!!!

Needless to say Ryan wasn't pleased and started throwing 'up and in' to Sox hitters the rest of the time he was in the game.

Things carried over the following week in Texas. On August 17,1990 in the first game of another DH Ryan continued to throw up and in. Finally the Sox had enough. In the 5th inning Sox pitcher Greg Hibbard nailed the Rangers Steve Buechele. Buechele charged the mound and a brawl ensued. He was tossed from the game. This was the same night where in game #2 Carlton Fisk would hammer a pitch from Charlie Hough to set the record for most home runs by a catcher.

The next installment prior to Wednesday night's fiasco came on August 4, 1993. In the 3rd inning Ryan nailed Robin Ventura with a pitch. Ventura finally had enough of the Sox getting thrown at by Ryan the previous three years and charged the mound. It wasn't the smartest thing to do, especially with 'Pudge' Rodriguez pinning his arms from behind. Ryan nailed Ventura a few times right in the head before the rest of the team converged and pulled him out of there.

LipIt goes farther back than that. Remember the source of the phrase "Winning Ugly"? None other than Doug Rader, manager of the Texas Rangers.

getonbckthr
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM

Thats my birthday. My parents got us a nice big group with me and all of my friends that day. At one point, not sure exactly when, there was a long rain delay. Someone hit a homer in our section as I went to catch it a guy threw his beer all over me just so he had both hands free to catch it. I look to see if I have the pictures still from that day. Sorry to go off topic you just brought my favorite memory as a Sox fan even more than being at the game where we won and didn't get a hit.

CommanderPudge72
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Hey, that is my birthday as well...I, too, was at that game....amazing game it was...been there for fights on both the field and the stands in honor of my birhday.....I detest Ryan, so it was an added bonus present.

Thanks guys. You're the best.

:walkoff:
"I am getting sick of this crapolay....take that!"

Fake Chet Lemon
06-16-2006, 01:55 PM
:nolanventura

Minnie Me
06-16-2006, 02:02 PM
It goes farther back than that. Remember the source of the phrase "Winning Ugly"? None other than Doug Rader, manager of the Texas Rangers.

Also wasn't Carlos Maze thumb got blown off in Texas

Chip Z'nuff
06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Also wasn't Carlos Maze thumb got blown off in Texas
Carlos May? No California, Camp Pendleton.
http://mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news_story.jsp?article_id=mlb_20011226_mayWATN _news&team_id=mlb

Britt Burns
06-16-2006, 02:20 PM

Lip

I was there too! Weeks before I went off to college a few friends and I drove up from Houston...we hopped the gate (hey, we were teens) and sat a few rows behind the Sox dugout for both games. Got to meet Fisk in the hotel lobby after the game. Very classy guy, as always.

I was at the game right after the Ventura brawl, and was there a few years later when he hit 2 grand slams in one game...certainly was sweet to see him get back at the Rangers and their obnoxious fans.

CLR01
06-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Sorry to go off topic you just brought my favorite memory as a Sox fan even more than being at the game where we won and didn't get a hit.

:?:

getonbckthr
06-16-2006, 02:54 PM
:?:
Cmon man it was my birthday, and Ozzie and Grebeck went back-to-back off Ryan. Not to mention a double-header.

SoxFanSince67
06-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I don't know if it is part of every Ranger pre-game, but at least at the Sox - Ranger games I attend, they re-play the Ryan - Ventura brawl on the big screen and the crowd goes nuts. It makes me sick...

Lip Man 1
06-16-2006, 05:13 PM
No. 2:

But Rader's comments didn't lead to an on field incidents.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
No. 2:

But Rader's comments didn't lead to an on field incidents.

LipNo, but there clearly was some bad blood even then.

Trav
06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
The cubune webpage has an little something about the history between Guillen and Showalter. It doesn't go into too much detail.

BeviBall!
06-16-2006, 05:46 PM
:nolanventura

OWNED.