PDA

View Full Version : Giant killers!

Fuller_Schettman
06-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Whoa to the first place teams that have to face the White Sox!

April 30: Pablo Ozuna scores the winning run in the 9th inning as the Sox complete a 3-game sweep of the Angels in Anaheim. With the loss, LAA falls out of first place in the AL West.

May 22: Ozuna bunts in the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th in the series opening game against Oakland. The A's fell 1-game behind Texas in the AL West and would get swept in the series.

June 15: Ozuna and Konerko each have 3 hits as the Sox take 3 out of 4 in Arlington, knocking yet another first place team out of the division lead.

HotelWhiteSox
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Also great that it's against AL West teams.

Fuller_Schettman
06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Also great that it's against AL West teams.

Well, we haven't played the BoTox or Yankmees yet. They're next!

CaptainBallz
06-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Very interesting... And who's the common denominator???

Hint: Begins with an 'O' ends with a "Zuna"...

"It's Ozuna's world..."

Fuller_Schettman
06-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Very interesting... And who's the common denominator???

Hint: Begins with an 'O' ends with a "Zuna"...

"It's Ozuna's world..."
I just noticed another pattern. Seems like this phenomenon occurs every 22 or 23 days. Which would put the next occurrence right before the All-Star break, when we play....Boston

I envision something like this:

July 9: Ozuna hits his first career Grand Slam to support the no-hitter of Jose Contreras (11-0) as the Sox complete their sweep of the Boston Red Sox. With the loss, Boston falls out of first place in the AL East.

HomeFish
06-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Yet we failed to knock Detroit out of first place, and that counts for much more.

Fuller_Schettman
06-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Yet we failed to knock Detroit out of first place, and that counts for much more.

Not in June, Hometool.

Where do you get your perspective?

rowand33
06-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Ozuna is the man. He has more production than some regulars in less than half the at bats (think certain northside leadoff men and most players on the Royals active roster).

gosox3072
06-16-2006, 08:57 AM

You had to didnt you?- Classic Homefish response.

Hey remember when we won the World series? Were you even happy that day?:redneck

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2006, 09:31 AM

We've won five of six against them. Detroit may have won the battle, but so far, we're winning the war. Detroit is a good team with players who are playing very, very well. The Sox are the improved defending champions who have not played up to their potential.

As PHG might say, "only the terminally stupid fail to realize that it only matters who is in first place on the last day of the regular season."
:rolleyes:

The MLB season is like the Indy 500. It only matters who crosses the finish line first. Right now the Sox are "drafting" right behind Detroit, burning less fuel and saving their best baseball for the last few laps. By September, Detroit is more likely to run out of gas.
:bandance:

Fuller_Schettman
06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
We've won five of six against them. Detroit may have won the battle, but so far, we're winning the war. Detroit is a good team with players who are playing very, very well. The Sox are the improved defending champions who have not played up to their potential.

As PHG might say, "only the terminally stupid fail to realize that it only matters who is in first place on the last day of the regular season."
:rolleyes:

The MLB season is like the Indy 500. It only matters who crosses the finish line first. Right now the Sox are "drafting" right behind Detroit, burning less fuel and saving their best baseball for the last few laps. By September, Detroit is more likely to run out of gas.
:bandance:

And you never know when the caution is going to come out.

Nice analogy, Frater!

sullythered
06-16-2006, 01:44 PM
I have a theory. I think HomeFish is actually Lip's alter-ego. He gets to spew his deepest darkest fears and reservations without harming his own reputation. Just a theory.

In response to the initial thread... how's that for retaliation, rangers?

CLR01
06-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I have a theory. I think HomeFish is actually Lip's alter-ego. He gets to spew his deepest darkest fears and reservations without harming his own reputation. Just a theory.

In response to the initial thread... how's that for retaliation, rangers?

Lip has never had a problem spewing his deeepest darkest fears here.

getonbckthr
06-16-2006, 01:52 PM
I just noticed another pattern. Seems like this phenomenon occurs every 22 or 23 days. Which would put the next occurrence right before the All-Star break, when we play....Boston

I envision something like this:

July 9: Ozuna hits his first career Grand Slam to support the no-hitter of Jose Contreras (11-0) as the Sox complete their sweep of the Boston Red Sox. With the loss, Boston falls out of first place in the AL East.
Way to go jinx it already.

MISoxfan
06-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Woe?