PDA

View Full Version : Origin of Guillen-Showalter feud?

A. Cavatica
06-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but I did look.

Does anyone know why Ozzie and Buck Showalter hate each other? I know Ozzie has mocked some habit he has involving bringing out the lineup cards, but it must be deeper than that.

havelj
06-15-2006, 09:39 PM
From another board per a BIG Sox Fan, the GRIDIRON ASSASSIN:

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN - 2006-06-15 5:37 PM
Ozzie HATES Buck Showalter, I expect a donnybrook tonight. Some of Ozzie's comments on Showalter that may have precipitated some of this:
The comments he made, I think they were unprofessional, because I was doing my job.... The only reason I did it is because he would do the same if he was on my side. And I didn't make it a big deal because it was Mr. Wetteland coaching first base. If it was somebody else coaching first, I will make a big deal about it because that's the rules. I think you can call up people to be on your coaching staff, but you can't have them on the field."
--Ozzie Guillen, White Sox manager, on Buck Showalter's Thursday post-game comments, which questioned Guillen's knowledge of MLB's coaching rules (Daily Southtown)
"Even after the game, I forgot about it. Now all a sudden they come up with his comments and I think it's unprofessional. But when the 'best manager' in the history of baseball talks about you, that means you're on somebody's mind. And when you're beating the crap out of the best manager in baseball, and we beat the (bleep) out of them, it makes me feel a lot better."
--Guillen, on Showalter's comments
"To me, I think [Atlanta skipper] Bobby Cox was the best.... To compete against the guy [Showalter] that invented baseball, and beat him, that's something you should feel good about as a rookie manager."
--Guillen, on Showalter
"I could have made a big deal about it, but I was professional enough because I respect the guy that was coaching first base.... Wetteland did something in the big leagues. [Showalter] never even smelled a jock in the big leagues. He didn't even know how the clubhouse in the big leagues was when he got his first job...'Mr. Baseball' never even got a hit in Triple-A. He was a backup catcher or a first baseman all his career. Now all of the sudden he's the best ever in baseball."
--Guillen
"He told somebody he didn't like me because I have too much fun in baseball. I have fun in baseball because I was good playing this game. And I made a lot of money playing this game...something he never did. And I have a championship ring on my finger. He made comments he's not supposed to be making about anybody."
--Guillen
"It's too bad I didn't have to go to the minor leagues to get this job like he did. I was coaching straight up in the big leagues. I was a big-league coach and I went straight to big-league manager. Ozzie Guillen had to do something to take those steps. I only played two, three years in the minor leagues and played 14 years with the same team."
--Guillen
"There are so many different things he might be jealous [of]...I was a better player than him, I've got more money than him and I'm better looking than him."
--Guillen

A. Cavatica
06-15-2006, 09:43 PM
From another board per a BIG Sox Fan, the GRIDIRON ASSASSIN:

Well, now I understand why Showalter hates Ozzie...:D:

HomeFish
06-15-2006, 09:53 PM
It was always my understanding that the feud began when, one night, Showalter complained that Guillen was late bringing lineup cards, and the next night Guillen brought lineup cards that had little photos of the players on them, as well as trivia about them. Showalter found this unprofessional.

Farmer and Rooney would always rip Showalter on the radio. Farmer still does, and Singleton is starting to get into it.

Last year after the Sox took 2 of 3 from Texas, KW said "It's good to beat the man who invented baseball."

Save McCuddy's
06-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I love Ozzie.

chaerulez
06-15-2006, 10:40 PM
I heard on B&B today that during a game Ozzie wrote some funny stuff in a line up card in a game and Showalter couldn't handle a joke.

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2006, 01:09 AM
I've heard it reported that the reason Showalter always keeps his hands in the pockets of his jacket is because he keeps the keys to baseball in there and doesn't want to risk losing them.

MERPER
06-16-2006, 01:26 AM
I heard on B&B today that during a game Ozzie wrote some funny stuff in a line up card in a game and Showalter couldn't handle a joke.

I remember this... Apparently Ozzie made some comment about Buck always priding himself on knowing every little piece of information on every player on the opposing team, and Ozzie was showing that knowing that much about each player does not help you win a baseball game...

So, Ozzie submitted his lineup card before the game with a cut-out picture and an interesting fact of each and every player one game when they were playing the Rangers...

esbrechtel
06-16-2006, 10:30 AM
this one is my favorite...

"There are so many different things he might be jealous [of]...I was a better player than him, I've got more money than him and I'm better looking than him."
--Guillen

Frater Perdurabo
06-16-2006, 10:38 AM
So, Ozzie submitted his lineup card before the game with a cut-out picture and an interesting fact of each and every player one game when they were playing the Rangers...

Pure comedic gold. :roflmao: :rolling:

Deuce
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
I've heard it reported that the reason Showalter always keeps his hands in the pockets of his jacket is because he keeps the keys to baseball in there and doesn't want to risk losing them.Texas should hurry up and fire Showlater, so they can win the World Series the following year (ala NY Yankee$ and Arizona Diamondbacks).

Deuce

MsSoxVixen22
06-16-2006, 11:39 AM
God do I love Ozzie! Don't take no **** and don't give a damn! Why can't more people be like him? Kinda reminds me of his Chevy commercial-"Looks good and gets the job done.....sound like anybody you know?" :D:

Ol' No. 2
06-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Texas should hurry up and fire Showlater, so they can win the World Series the following year (ala NY Yankee$ and Arizona Diamondbacks).

DeuceDusty Baker might be available after the season. I heard he knows a lot about playing in hot weather.:tongue:

Mercy!
06-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Everytime the camera picks up Showalter in the dugout, the term, "mope" (in the Mike Royko usage of the word) comes to my mind.

Tekijawa
06-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Ask and the Tribune will respond!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-060616soxrangersfeud,1,7189562.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I want Mags back
06-16-2006, 12:49 PM
OMG, Ozzie's the best:D:

SOXPHILE
06-16-2006, 12:53 PM
I've heard it reported that the reason Showalter always keeps his hands in the pockets of his jacket is because he keeps the keys to baseball in there and doesn't want to risk losing them.

Do you think Bob Brenley & Tony LaRussa let him look at the "Unwritten Rules of Baseball" book they are the keepers of, if he lets them hold the keys for a few minutes ?

wdelaney72
06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Now this would have been a riot...

"March 17, 2006
Guillen doesn't play along with a prank in which someone left red White Sox caps for him and his staff to wear for an exhibition game against Texas to mimic Showalter and his coaching staff for wearing different colored caps than his players."