PDA

View Full Version : Make your selection: The Story of the 2006 Sox (so far) is...

Baby Fisk
06-15-2006, 02:03 PM
This will be a multiple choice poll.

Fuller_Schettman
06-15-2006, 02:28 PM
I think the real story is the sluggish performance over the last 33 games (17-16). Everyone seems to be waiting for that 21 out of 25 streak that we know this team is capable of. I think that the fact our pitching has been inconsistent and our defense, which was lights out in April, has shown some vulnerability in the last month has allowed corpseball to creep in on occassion.

It will really help us if we can have some lineup consistency. It is nice to have key contributions from Cintron, Ozuna and Mackowiak, but what we really need is Uribe to be hitting .260 and Anderson at .230 and I think that will come with more consistent playing time...

CaptainBallz
06-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I think the real story is the sluggish performance over the last 33 games (17-16). Everyone seems to be waiting for that 21 out of 25 streak that we know this team is capable of. I think that the fact our pitching has been inconsistent and our defense, which was lights out in April, has shown some vulnerability in the last month has allowed corpseball to creep in on occassion.

It will really help us if we can have some lineup consistency. It is nice to have key contributions from Cintron, Ozuna and Mackowiak, but what we really need is Uribe to be hitting .260 and Anderson at .230 and I think that will come with more consistent playing time...

Ditto. Though it might seem a bit negative, especially considering they're only a game and a half behind the team with the best record in baseball, the story of the year thus far has to be the general under performance of a team capable of so much more. From the inconsistency of the starting pitching (minus JC) to the brutality of the bullpen (minus Bobby) to the not-so-lights out hitting at the top of the order and the bottom, throw in Thome's slight chill out from the first month and right NOW, I'd say that's the story.

However, I know that ultimately the story will be how the Sox kept Detroit in their sights despite some sore spots in the first half of the season and ran away with the division, finishing a cozy 7.5 games up on Cleveland. :D:

rowand33
06-15-2006, 02:52 PM

yeah I was looked for "Not playing up to our potential"

That's what I think about when I think about the 2006 Sox. We're just not there yet.

ilsox7
06-15-2006, 02:59 PM
This will be a multiple choice poll.

Where's the option for Jon Garland's No Trade Clause? :cool:

Flight #24
06-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Where's the "trade Lopez for Riske" option?

TheDarkGundam
06-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Where's the "Hangar got banned" option?

cbotnyse
06-15-2006, 03:11 PM
I voted for the centerfield situation (Anderson on the way out thread!).....I personally think Brian's glove is more important than his bat right now, and his bat can only improve. (I hope) so I hope he stays put for awhile.....

Thome's bat has also been a pleasant surprise....Imagine if he injured his back again early in the season....there would be some major dark clouds around that trade....and just imagine all of the "I want Roward back" threads.

I cant really say they havent played up to my expectations however....I mean really, they are just a few games off of the best record in the league, I'll take that right now.

Trav
06-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I would say that since the we really haven't played up to our potential that our owning of the Tigers has been the story. The record against them has really kept us in this thing right now. Eventually we will start playing like we should and we will own every team.

I also voted for the CF situation because it has gotten a ton of press.

Frater Perdurabo
06-15-2006, 04:09 PM
All of these are big stories. But the biggest was Hangar getting banned.

IMHO the biggest story is the importance of Scott Podsednik to the offense. When he's hitting, taking walks and stealing bases, the Sox offense is nearly unstoppable. :D: When he's not getting on base, the offense resorts to waiting around for the three-run homer, which leads to occasional bouts with corpseball. :(: It's not a criticism, it's just a factual observation of a phenomenon that will determine how far the Sox go in defending their title.

batmanZoSo
06-15-2006, 04:11 PM
I voted other. I think the biggest story is the rich, smooth taste of Duff.

Baby Fisk
06-15-2006, 04:14 PM
I tried to stick with positive options, but would also lean towards "not playing to their potential". The Sox could easily be 5 or 6 games ahead of Detroit right now and running away with the division. It's not necessarily a bad thing that they aren't, however. Was it Dye or Pods or another player who said that the last minute surge by the Indians last year was the kind of scare that helped focus the Sox for the playoff run?

sullythered
06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
DRINK DUFF!!!

(responsibly)

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2006, 04:19 PM

http://club.telepolis.com/iivangm/imgnes/nixon1.gif
"Uh yes id also like to express my fondess, for that particular beer"

ilsox7
06-15-2006, 04:47 PM

Tap into the peppermint glacier. Duff Blue!

Lip Man 1
06-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I voted 'other' with the story being the inconsistency shown so far by the club.

When you see that the longest win streak since May 10th has been three games something is amiss. Maybe it's the battered bullpen, maybe it's Anderson, maybe it's the starters not being able (as a group) to duplicate their domination from 2005....whatever the reason or reasons this club still hasn't kicked into gear and we are two and a half months into 2006.

The good news is that if they can stay around 15 games over and hang close to Detroit, if they ever do put it into gear, it could be something to watch.

Lip

bluestar
06-15-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree with Lip.

Ol' No. 2
06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
I'm going to go with other. I'd say the starting pitching has been the root of the recent mediocre play. If the starters were regularly going 6-7 IP, the bullpen wouldn't be a problem.

Too many big innings.

Too many early exits.

Too many wrong mistakes.

kevin57
06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Some good choices here...

I voted for Dye's offense as the biggest story.

It was a little difficult to discern the point of the poll's question, though. Does "biggest story" mean what has attracted the most media and overall fan "buzz," or what story is the most significant? Dye is the most significant "new" item this season, while the AJ-Barrett fight has caused the biggest media buzz.

Baby Fisk
06-16-2006, 12:41 PM
It was a little difficult to discern the point of the poll's question, though.
That's why I voted for THIS POLL SUCKS. :redneck

miker
06-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Other being our 3-4-5 combination as a lethal run generator.

Chips
06-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I voted this poll sucks for the hell of it. The story has to be Thome's slugging and well as Thome, PK, and Dye kicking the **** out of the ball.

I was going to kick whoevers ass voted I miss Rowand, Thomas, El Duque, etc. Then I saw it was JBY and assumed he was joking.

SoxEd
06-16-2006, 05:36 PM
That's why I voted for THIS POLL SUCKS. :redneck

Now, I know that the tradition in Chicago is 'Vote Early, Vote Often', but how come you voted 5 times?

Is it some Canuck tradition?

Or, am I just a numpty for only voting once?
(Don't answer that!:wink:)

I voted for AJ's BA (IMO his notoriety is no surprise).

The Sox' big feisty lump of a catcher still hitting over .300, half-way through June?

Whodathunkit?
:dunno:

(My sincere apologies to Mr. Pierzynski, for hereby 'cursing' his bat to grow cold from here on in...)

ChicagoHoosier
06-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Where's the "Hangar got banned" option?

What happened to Hangar?

Lip Man 1
06-17-2006, 01:15 AM
He got banned.

:D:

Lip

chisoxfanatic
06-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Jose Contreras. This came out of NOWHERE! When we got him, I NEVER thought he'd turn out to be THIS good!!!