PDA

View Full Version : do you like the David Riske pickup?

jake5824
06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
I saw it on mlb.com I know nothing about this guy, I know the red sox bulls is terrible though I hope he isnt one of those guys that help contribute to that.

I have absolutely no confidence in our bullpen so if he can come in and have some good outings that would be awesome.

WOW nevermind i saw the thread created disregard fellas!

Mercy!
06-15-2006, 02:10 PM
I saw it on mlb.com I know nothing about this guy, I know the red sox bulls is terrible though I hope he isnt one of those guys that help contribute to that.

I have absolutely no confidence in our bullpen so if he can come in and have some good outings that would be awesome.

WOW nevermind i saw the thread created disregard fellas!
Huh?

ondafarm
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Riske worked some decent innings against us when he was in Cleveland. Since the Sox only gave up a 28 year old minor league pitcher, I think this was a good deal, acquiring a decent veteran arm who at least should give a few innings.

PennStater98r
06-15-2006, 02:13 PM
GREAT trade.

miker
06-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Sounds Riske...but we're looking for good arms in the bullpen. I hope this works.

oeo
06-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Sounds Riske...but we're looking for good arms in the bullpen. I hope this works.

We didn't give up much. We already have 2 lefties in the pen. Sure he's put up good numbers in Charlotte, but so did Haeger and so is Logan.

doublem23
06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
I don't loooooooooooooove it. But it's not bad. All wee gave up is a guy one year younger than him who still pitches in AAA.

Good move by KW.

JB98
06-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Riske worked some decent innings against us when he was in Cleveland. Since the Sox only gave up a 28 year old minor league pitcher, I think this was a good deal, acquiring a decent veteran arm who at least should give a few innings.

I agree. We need a veteran right-handed arm to take some pressure off McCarthy. With the injuries to Politte, Hermanson and Nelson, we've been short in that area. We have a surplus of lefty relievers. Cotts and Thornton at the big-league level, plus Lopez, Randolph and Logan in Charlotte. Lopez was certainly expendable. KW dealt from a position of strength to shore up a weakness. A low-risk, reasonable trade by KW.

Dan Mega
06-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Is his name pronounced "Risk" or "Risk-ee"?

Or is it "Risk-ay"?:tongue:

caulfield12
06-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, we know that in theory, Riske can be a big contributor.

He was one of the primary set-up men in Cleveland in 2003 and 2004 and fell off a little bit last season, ala Marte.

He was also the pitcher that gave up the season-defining homer to Joe Crede when our lead was down to 2 1/2 games and we had already lost the first game of a critical series against the Indians down the stretch.

Betancourt ended up supplanting Riske last season, but he some ability. With Hermanson and Nelson done, we had to try someone with quality MLB past performance and experience.

And Lopez was stuck behind Thornton and Cotts.

Ol' No. 2
06-15-2006, 02:41 PM
They've been struggling with bullpen depth all season. They got an established major league reliever for a minor league free agent. What's not to like?

BeviBall!
06-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Let's put it this way... Riske >>>>> Tracey.

Unregistered
06-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Is his name pronounced "Risk" or "Risk-ee"?

Or is it "Risk-ay"?:tongue: It's "Risk-ee", as in:

http://www.affichescinema.com/insc_r/risky_business.jpg

SouthSide_HitMen
06-15-2006, 02:53 PM
This is like asking me if I like strawberry churros. :D:

:worship: Kenny Williams!!!

Ol' No. 2
06-15-2006, 03:01 PM
This is like asking me if I like strawberry churros. :D:

:worship: Kenny Williams!!!Creme filled are better.

rowand33
06-15-2006, 03:29 PM
I think it's a straight up AWESOME trade now that it's official.

I still worry that something's wrong with him, since the BoSox gave him up way too cheap, but this guy has good stuff and has had a pretty damn good career so far and we got him for nothing.

If we have him and Cliff comes back ok... that bullpen should be in good shape

SOXandILLINI
06-15-2006, 03:35 PM
if he's healthy, it's a no brainer.... YES

SouthSide_HitMen
06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Creme filled are better.

Yes - strawberry creme. :D:

Been eating strawberry churros at Comiskey since the 1980s (at the authentic Mexican stand on the third base side).

sullythered
Amazing trade. Great job identifying a team that had a VERY pressing need (lefty relief) and taking advantage of them. Assuming David Riske is the same guy he has been the last three years, this is a major upgrade.

Baby Fisk
Yes, because Kenny is addressing the bullpen weakness.

cws05champ
06-15-2006, 03:40 PM
They've been struggling with bullpen depth all season. They got an established major league reliever for a minor league free agent. What's not to like?

I agree...They picked Lopez up off the heap and he re-established himself in the minors. 28 year old minor league pitchers are a dime a dozen. Riske since he came back from the DL has a 2.08 ERA over 8 2/3 inn. GOOD DEAL!

White Sox Randy
06-15-2006, 03:49 PM

Exactly. Heckuva deal. The Red Sox were desperate. He is a quality reliever when healthy.

StatHead21
06-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Its a good deal for both teams. Each team gave up something they didn't need and got something they needed.

BV2005
06-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Yes - strawberry creme. :D:

Been eating strawberry churros at Comiskey since the 1980s (at the authentic Mexican stand on the third base side).

yes strawberry is my personal fav as well

caulfield12
06-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Well, if nothing else, compiling all those LH arms paid off from the offseason when we actually attracted interest from another team in one of them...

Between Randolph, Bentz, Munoz, Lopez, Tucker, Malone and Reynoso...even if Riske bombs, it doesn't cost us much at all in terms of talent.

Well, there is ONE risk. We just added a little over $1 million dollars to the already high payroll. Once again, JR is stepping up to the plate as the Sox are making effort to keep the momentum going from the WS Title. They know the Cubs are vulnerable for the time being. These types of moves only serve to reinforce the difference between the two franchises.

Even though Nelson and some of the lefties haven't worked out, you can't fault KW for trying. Next Shingo will be coming back, lol.

I want Mags back
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
any bullpen help is grea for us

great job Kenny:D:

DrCrawdad
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
The question is, can Riske hit a batter when called up to do it?

:)

LongLiveFisk
06-15-2006, 05:41 PM

:)

DrCrawdad, I heard Mike North mention your name on his show this morning. Too bad I can't remember what exactly he said. I'm sure it probably had something to do with last night's headhunting of A.J.

WS in 05
06-15-2006, 05:42 PM
any bullpen help is grea for us

great job Kenny:D:

I agree completely....Javier was not going to come up unless we were in some serious bullpen trouble....so why not give a guy with a couple of big league experience under his belt a chance

shes
06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I'm really liking this trade; hopefully Riske can be for us this year what Politte was in '05.

And all churros = heaven. Never met one I did not love, even the choco-churro.

Chips
06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
:thumbsup: That is all.

SOXSINCE'70
06-15-2006, 09:38 PM
It certainly can't hurt the team.I can only hope,
as Lip mentioned in an earlier post,that this is the first
of a series of moves to round the bullpen into shape.

The old baseball axiom is true: you can NEVER,NEVER,NEVER
have enough pitching.

soxinem1
06-15-2006, 10:23 PM
He's got good stuff, a track record, can get a K when you need one, and is one of the tougher relievers to get a hit off of. He does give up a few dingers, but he can get guys out.

And for a guy Ozzie pretty much nailed the coffin lid shut on in ST? Sounds good to me.

Now get Roberto Hernandez, and we will be in very good shape..

The Dude
06-15-2006, 10:29 PM
Very good move! He can prove to be what we need in middle relief to replace the Nelson or Politte spot in our pen until Hermy comes back. Prospects are nothing but prospects but those like Javier and Baj are overgrown prospects.

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm definitely for this move, since our bullpen was getting thinner and thinner as the weeks progressed. Cotts and Jenks were the only two guys in there I had any confidence in. I feel this will indirectly help our starting pitching as well. I firmly believe that one of the reasons our starting pitching was so good last year was because our bullpen was so good as well. If one complements the other, working as a unit, it takes the pressure off of individuals.

A. Cavatica
06-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Since Lopez was brought in to face Morneau tonight and walked him on four pitches, and then gave up an RBI single to Hunter, this trade is looking good already.

DickAllen72
06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
He can prove to be what we need in middle relief to replace the Nelson or Politte spot in our pen until Hermy comes back.

I doubt Hermy is coming back.

Tragg
06-15-2006, 10:55 PM
I like it. We gave up what looks like a situational lefty for a pitcher who, at least on paper, should be able to man the Viz spot in the pen. Get Politte back to at least decent form, and we should be set.

Sure beats actually trading talent to get a Howry.

DiGiSyKo
06-15-2006, 11:01 PM

Yes he can!!! :D:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2126041

DrCrawdad
06-15-2006, 11:03 PM
DrCrawdad, I heard Mike North mention your name on his show this morning. Too bad I can't remember what exactly he said. I'm sure it probably had something to do with last night's headhunting of A.J.

I faxed in a question for AJ, as I thought AJ was coming up on North's show. I asked if AJ has ever done the following or had someone say this to him. Batter approaches the batters box, looks at the catcher and says, "If your pitcher hits me again I'm going to go out to the mound and kick his butt..."

After I faxed the question in Steve Stone came on North's show. So, North addressed the question to Stone, which was fine with me. Stone's answer was quite funny.

woodsdavid
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Definitely glad to have Riske over Lopez. Glad Kenny working the phones.
I think it's a great trade, but only becuase we upgraded, not because our problems have been solved. So, before we order 06 World Series tix, some interesting posts on BoSox board. Plenty of fans pissed at Epstein, but most don't seem to miss Riske. A real mixed bag. Here are some of the posts:

I don't get what was wrong with Riske. He'd been solid ever since coming back off the DL. Instead we give him up for a career minor leaguer who should get into a nice battle with Van Buren over who can walk more guys.
Theo panicked and we'll suffer the consequences.

and the reply

I don't know what games you where watching, but Riske hasn't been pitching enough innings or well enough when he did get out there to warrant all this hand-ringing. Settle down already.

Wonder boy strikes again, trades a pitcher with a 3.72 era for one who has an era of over 6. He should fit right in with some of the other Sox pitchers in the pen who have Big eras! Great move Theo. Good thing you did not try and get Glavine last year and kept Wells & Clement and traded Arroyo. Sheer Genuis [sic]!

This is what a Cleveland fan told me about Riske:
"Gets lefties out when it doesn't count. riske is the a-rod of middle relief. which is why he was never placed in hold situations last year."

But this one seems to sum up half of all of the BoSox posts:

Traded one crapper for another.

chisoxmike
06-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm not a fan of the trade. Riskie always seems to implode in big situations. I hope I'm proven wrong...

The Dude
06-15-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm not a fan of the trade. Riskie always seems to implode in big situations. I hope I'm proven wrong...
So you'd rather have Lopez in during a big situation?:?:

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2006, 11:20 PM

He can't be any worse than Politte! Check your PM.

TaylorStSox
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
I hate low risk/high reward trades.

He's already the 2nd best RH out of our pen, and he hasn't even pitched yet.

chisoxmike
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
So you'd rather have Lopez in during a big situation?:?:

No, I didn't say that. Lopez was never going to come up this year in my opinion. When I heard this trade after work I said "I hope Kenny isn't done, Riske is not the answer for the bullpen."

JB98
06-15-2006, 11:23 PM

You'd rather place trust in Tracey or Montero?

oeo
06-15-2006, 11:25 PM
No, I didn't say that. Lopez was never going to come up this year in my opinion. When I heard this trade after work I said "I hope Kenny isn't done, Riske is not the answer for the bullpen."
Riske definately strengthens it. If Politte's problem was his shoulder, and he can come back and be somewhere close to what he was last year, this pen turns from one of the worst, to one of the best. Cotts is great, McCarthy is great, Thornton has been very impressive and seemingly gets better with every outing, and Jenks has been near unhittable all year. Add to that Riske and a good Politte, and we've got a solid bullpen.

Again...like Ozzie said, the bullpen is still built to only throw 2, maybe 3 innings a game. And that is a great bullpen for 2 or 3 innings. If we can see some consistency from our starters, our bullpen looks that much better.

chisoxmike
06-15-2006, 11:27 PM
You'd rather place trust in Tracey or Montero?

Christ.

No. I never said I wanted the triple-A mother****ers on the team, the question was "do you like the riske move" I dont for now. I'm not saying Lopez was our savior and we traded him away. I think they could've done better than David Riske...I hope I'm wrong and it gets shoved in my face everytime I hang out with fellow WSIers this year - Like I know it will if Riske does well.

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2006, 11:28 PM

You're forgetting who we have as a pitching coach. Even if Riske is a so-called lower-tier pitcher, there's no telling as to what Coop will be able to do with him. Coop might've approached Kenny and told him "Riske struggles at this, this, and that. I have a remedy for that." Who knows?

JB98
06-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Christ.

No. I never said I wanted the triple-A mother****ers on the team, the question was "do you like the riske move" I dont for now. I'm not saying Lopez was our savior and we traded him away. I think they could've done better than David Riske...I hope I'm wrong and it gets shoved in my face everytime I hang out with fellow WSIers this year - Like I know it will if Riske does well.

Well, Mariano Rivera isn't going to fall into our laps; I hate to tell you. Everyone is looking for relief pitching. My guess is there isn't anyone better out there than Riske. He's not the savior, but he'll help as long as he's healthy. It isn't like he's going to be placed in the closer's role.

chisoxmike
06-15-2006, 11:42 PM
I knew I should not have posted in this thread, afterall I stated a opinion that didn't go with the majority. I should've known.

JB98
06-16-2006, 12:03 AM
I knew I should not have posted in this thread, afterall I stated a opinion that didn't go with the majority. I should've known.

You've yet to give any supporting statement for your assertion that Riske "always implodes in key situations." Yeah, he gave up a big homer to Crede last year. That's one pitch. So what? His career ERA is 3.55, and he's been in the big leagues for several years. I'll roll the dice on that over the triple-A crap we have coming out of the bullpen now.

Hendu
06-16-2006, 12:06 AM
Yes, I love the trade. We gave up a AAA pitcher who's not even a prospect for a guy who can help our team now. Plus, if this doesn't work out, KW has plenty of time to look for something else.

Tragg
06-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I don't see a downside. If it doesn't work out, we haven't lost anything. He's here to be, at most, the 4th reliever, not the set-up man. Any middle reliever we would get is going to have flaws; to get flawed relievers like howry or eyre, who also implode in key situations, we'd have to give up talent and take on double this guy's salary. Screw that, I'd rather give this deal a try.

rowand33
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM

LOL.

Too true.

I disagree with your opinion about Riske, but you're completely right about this. God forbid you don't follow WSI party line...

Saying you disagree with Ozzie or KW at WSI is like walking up to the front of a temple and saying the holocaust didn't happen.

The Dude
06-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Come on Mike, it's just not clear what dont you like about the deal??? I understand you dont like Riske very much, but the upside is better than the downside since we traded a pitcher who crapped his pants as a MLBer. Riske is a better option than Cliff, Montero,Tracy, Logan and Lopez. He will fill in fine as a Thornton type reliever I predict, but hopefully he'll do more than that. Win or lose on this deal, it's still a solid move by KW addressing a need early and still leaving time to make another if need be.

Unregistered
06-16-2006, 01:04 AM
LOL.

Too true.

I disagree with your opinion about Riske, but you're completely right about this. God forbid you don't follow WSI party line...

Saying you disagree with Ozzie or KW at WSI is like walking up to the front of a temple and saying the holocaust didn't happen.And yet, you can always post somewhere else...

the internet is funny like that.

rowand33
06-16-2006, 01:15 AM
And yet, you can always post somewhere else...

the internet is funny like that.

That just helps the make the point for me.

I think this is the best sox site on the internet, but it's a little ridiculous the way you get ganged up on if you don't agree with the majority. The best illustration of that is the damn dark cloud graphic whenever anyone worries about the team.

I don't want to hijack this thread though.

so...

Riske=good.

And even if he's just ok and pitches more like the 2005 Vizcaino instead of the 2005 Politte, I don't think anybody would argue that we didn't get the better end of this trade and we can always get the 2005 Politte by trading for Rafael Soriano or, better yet, Politte could return to form.

HomeFish
06-16-2006, 01:16 AM
I do not see any possible rational argument against this trade.

Riske might not be a HOF setup man, but he's a better option than anything else we could put into his spot, and he cost us next to nothing.

HomeFish
06-16-2006, 01:17 AM
I think this is the best sox site on the internet, but it's a little ridiculous the way you get ganged up on if you don't agree with the majority. The best illustration of that is the damn dark cloud graphic whenever anyone worries about the team.

I'll agree with you on that most of the time, but in this instance, the "mob" is just plain 100% right.

This is an amazing trade.

rowand33
06-16-2006, 01:21 AM
I'll agree with you on that most of the time, but in this instance, the "mob" is just plain 100% right.

This is an amazing trade.

oh I agree, great trade (I still don't understand exactly what Boston was thinking. Surely they could have gotten a better lefty from somewhere). I just wanted to backup chisoxmike because it's rare I see people complain about the WSI mob mentality.

soxinem1
06-16-2006, 11:06 AM
oh I agree, great trade (I still don't understand exactly what Boston was thinking. Surely they could have gotten a better lefty from somewhere). I just wanted to backup chisoxmike because it's rare I see people complain about the WSI mob mentality.

I agree, it is almost as puzzling as the trade the BoSox made to get him. Why Cleveland, with an already depleted bullpen, took Mota in Riske's place?

XplodingScorbord
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Too bad we didn't have Sean Lowe still. We could have made a Lowe-Riske deal.

Okay, bad joke.

Palehose13
06-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Great trade.

In regards to the "mob mentality". Buck up. Mob mentality is everywhere. It is human nature to want approval from others, no matter how much of an idiot the other person is and unfortunately, ganging up on people who don't agree tend to make the insecure feel mighty.

Bottom line, if you believe in what you are typing...**** 'em and keep typing.

DaleJRFan
06-16-2006, 11:38 AM
David Riske hasn't pitched since June 11th when hr threw 1.2 IP against Texas, so he should be good and ready to throw tonight.

Jjav829
06-16-2006, 12:04 PM
It has nothing to do with being an opinion against the majority. It's just that your opinion isn't very well supported. Is this a great move? Probably not. But as has been stated, there probably aren't many better relievers currently available. It's June 16th. Most teams still want to believe they are in it. Quite frankly, I'm surprised Kenny managed to get someone as good as Riske at this point in the season. We got lucky that Boston had a surplus of righties and needed a lefty. Would I prefer someone like Scot Shields? Of course, but if he's going to be available (and that's unlikely), it won't be until this time next month. Even Bob Howry, who figures to be one of the top setup man that could be available at the deadline, still isn't available because the Cubs have delusions that they can still contend.

It's a good trade by Kenny, especially given the timing. We get Riske in here now and see what he can do. He has about a month to prove himself to the Sox. If he pitches well, great, we have a quality right-handed reliever who can setup for Jenks. If he doesn't pitch well, it's back to the drawing board for Kenny. And this trade doesn't in any way preclude Kenny from making further attempts to trade for better relievers once they are available.

GOGOGOPODS
06-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Riske was a great guy to get for our bullpen. I saw him pitch againest us a lot when he was with Cleveland, and I like what I saw. He throws hard and has a lot of big league experience. Do you think Kenny is done?

caulfield12
06-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I don't see how anyone can complain about this move....what, we're adding about $850,000-900,000 extra to the payroll (the difference between Riske's contract for the the rest of the season and that of a Logan/Tracey/Haeger/Montero)?

C'mon, who do you guys realistically expect to get on June 15th, and who are you willing to give up? Maybe the starters will begin to go longer in games and everyone will be saying, gee, I'm glad we didn't make that move....like what has happened in the past with trades for Garland, Contreras (to Marlins), for Griffey or M-Ramirez, etc.

We lost Javier Lopez, not the ex-Braves catcher. He wasn't going to factor into this season anyway with Thornton and Cotts doing well. All those trying to trade Josh Fields, Garland, Contreras, Garcia, McCarthy, prospects for a stud set-up man will be glad when we don't have to make that huge deal out of desperation.