PDA

View Full Version : Thomas out --Injured leg

nut_stock
06-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Not sure how long Thomas is gonna be out... but on the a's website it says he injured his leg. the rumor is 4-6 weeks...tendonitis... ouch

voodoochile
06-15-2006, 12:03 AM
and here come the haters...

Sorry to hear it. Glad we got Thome.

Get well soon, Frank.

rowand33
06-15-2006, 12:04 AM
that's crappy news for my fantasy team... just when the guy was heating up too.

Unregistered
06-15-2006, 12:04 AM
I love Frank, but he's not our problem. Add me to the "glad we got Thome" list.

IlliniSox4Life
06-15-2006, 12:49 AM
I've always said the Thome move was the right one and safe bet for this team, but that I wanted Frank to do exceptional in Oakland. I hope he comes back quickly and this isn't going to be that big a deal.

DaleJRFan
06-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Just when he started to turn things around... that 500 HR mark was growing closer.

:gulp: Here's a quick recovery so he can get as many selfish ABs as possible :D:

GOGOGOPODS
06-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Too bad for the big guy he was just starting to heat up.

Will he ever reach 500? I hope so, get well soon Frank

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2006, 01:25 AM
... but on the a's website it says he injured his leg. the rumor is 4-6 weeks...tendonitis... ouchWhat part is A's website, and what part is rumor? And what's the source of the rumor? ESPN says pulled quad, not tendinitis.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-15-2006, 01:48 AM
What part is A's website, and what part is rumor? And what's the source of the rumor? ESPN says pulled quad, not tendinitis.

Frank missed a few games earlier this week due to this injury (quad). The A's discussed putting him on the DL to let him rest while the A's take the road for nine interleague games. There is nothing anywhere regarding tendinitis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-athletics-thomas&prov=ap&type=lgns

He may be put on the DL after all (due to the schedule and additional time needed to resolve this). I guess we will know tomorrow after he is reevaluated. :(:

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Frank missed a few games earlier this week due to this injury (quad). The A's discussed putting him on the DL to let him rest while the A's take the road for nine interleague games. There is nothing anywhere regarding tendinitis.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-athletics-thomas&prov=ap&type=lgns

He may be put on the DL after all (due to the schedule and additional time needed to resolve this). I guess we will know tomorrow after he is reevaluated. :(:

That's what I heard, as well. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's not as though he was going to play during the NL games anyway, so it would be a nice chance for him to rest so that he can play the rest of the season healthy, rather than being bothered by a nagging injury. As usual, the 'haters are exagerating the problem.

ilsox7
06-15-2006, 02:05 AM
That's what I heard, as well. I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's not as though he was going to play during the NL games anyway, so it would be a nice chance for him to rest so that he can play the rest of the season healthy, rather than being bothered by a nagging injury. As usual, the 'haters are exagerating the problem.

Just an FYI, Frank has said it's going to be "a while" until he is recovered.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2484972)

getonbckthr
06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Once again KW makes the right judgment on a move. This isn't an anti-Frank post its a pro-KW's GM decision making. He knew Frank wasn't healthy and went a different route insuring the good of the team over the good of the individual. On that note good luck to Frank on his recovery never wanna see someone hurt.

JorgeFabregas
06-15-2006, 02:30 AM
You wish he could lose just a little more weight. Check out his may and june numbers.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=4527&type=batting&year=2006
And that's with a bum leg where some ofthose singles should've been doubles. He was creeping towards an OPS of .900, even with his bad April.

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2006, 03:35 AM
Bad quad which he hurt sliding into to third several months back

As for kw making a good movie, *****

KW ran as much a risk of Thome being a broken down dh as he woulda with thomas, only diff if Thome had a bad back and elbow surgery while frank had 2 ankle surgeries.

KW has been lucky that thome has only missed three games due to a bad groin, i dont think Thomas has missed that many due to an "injury" so far. Also, we saw what frank can do when he's at comiskey

Wait till the end of the season, if thome has 20-30 more hrs than thomas and 50 more rbi, i'll say its a good move, if they have close if not similar stats, i'll expect your appology on my desk

TheKittle
06-15-2006, 03:53 AM
KW ran as much a risk of Thome being a broken down dh as he woulda with thomas, only diff if Thome had a bad back and elbow surgery while frank had 2 ankle surgeries.

Actually the biggest difference is 202 vs 108. That's the amount of games Thome played during 2004-05 and the amount of games Frank played during the same two seasons.

A much better gamble for KW to take on Thome, especially with Thome batting from the left side, than risking another year of injuries with Frank.

Soxfanspcu11
06-15-2006, 04:09 AM
First of all, let me say that Frank Thomas is THE REASON I am a White Sox fan, so he will always hold a special place in my heart.

However, this injury does not surprise me in the least. He has had nothing but problems in the last 4 years and it was inevitable.

On top of that, Frank is one of the biggest crybabies I have ever seen in professional sports. I have never seen an athlete come up with so many reasons to not play.

He is one of the greatest players ever when he is on the field, but he has become such a Nancy boy over the past few years that it almost seems like he is looking for ways to be injured.

Whatever, not our problem anymore.

ilsox7
06-15-2006, 04:49 AM
Bad quad which he hurt sliding into to third several months back

KW has been lucky that thome has only missed three games due to a bad groin, i dont think Thomas has missed that many due to an "injury" so far. Also, we saw what frank can do when he's at comiskey

Wait till the end of the season, if thome has 20-30 more hrs than thomas and 50 more rbi, i'll say its a good move, if they have close if not similar stats, i'll expect your appology on my desk

Thome has been hurt 1 year in his career. Frank has had several seasons interupted due to injury. While both may have been a risk, it is obvious that there is/was a greater chance of Frank getting hurt again.

samram
06-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm not sure why this is a Frank v. Thome issue. Frank's not here, he's hurt, and hopefully he'll be back healthy soon and can continue toward 500 homers.

Hitmen77
06-15-2006, 09:15 AM

Yeah! KW made a good move getting oft-injured Dye and cancer Pierzynski? *****! And ***** about that Thornton deal being anything but just pure luck! In fact, I think all his moves have been just luck. There's no way that he has analyzed each of these moves more than we have. Was Thome risk-free? No. But if you really think that he was just as much a risk as Frank, then all I have to say is I'm sure the glad KW is our GM and not you.

Wow! Nice improbably high standards you set there for yourself to be right. So, if Thome only hits 15 more HRs than Frank and only drives in 40 more RBI than Frank you expect an apology from those who supported the Thome trade? Apparently batting average and OBS and OPS don't count for anything. And what if Thome only hits 1 more HR than Frank and we win the World Series again? People here will definitely owe you an apology. :rolleyes:

....and just acknowledging that the Thome acquisition was a good move doesn't make me a "Frank hater". This in no way is questionning what he did for the franchise nor is it about rehashing the KW-Frank fued and who was right/wrong there.

voodoochile
06-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Thome has been hurt 1 year in his career. Frank has had several seasons interupted due to injury. While both may have been a risk, it is obvious that there is/was a greater chance of Frank getting hurt again.

In addition, Frank's problem have all stemmed from leg injuries and from the same type of leg injury. Frank is a much bigger risk to misk significant time because no one knows how long that ankle is going to hold up. No, this isn't the ankle, but given the severity of the injuries he sustained in that ankle and the things he does to change the way he plays due to that ankle, the risk of reinjury or sympathetic injury developing seem much higher, though I admit I am also a layman, not a doctor.

itsnotrequired
06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Leg injury? Cue Chips and his standard catch phrase...

wdelaney72
06-15-2006, 10:08 AM
No hate here, just indifference, as he plays for the A's.

+1 to the "Glad we have Thome" club.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 10:40 AM
Just an FYI, Frank has said it's going to be "a while" until he is recovered.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2484972)

I know what he said. My post was directed at the person who said that he had tendonitis, which he doesn't. :cool:

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 10:42 AM
He is one of the greatest players ever when he is on the field, but he has become such a Nancy boy over the past few years that it almost seems like he is looking for ways to be injured.

If an athlete says he's hurt, then he's hurt. I have better things to do with my time than read posts containing idiotic statements like this. Welcome to my ignore list.

ZachAL
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I was at the game on Tuesday night in Oakland and saw Big Frank play. I have to tell you that I have never seen someone run slower on the base path than watching thomas intentionally walk/jog out infield grounders (not even Konerko!:?:). It was sad, he is a shell of his former self and it's hard to watch someone you cheered for so much as a kid look helpless out there. Wishing all the best to a speedy recovery and at least one more HR so he can pass Winfield for 25th all time.

ilsox7
06-15-2006, 11:12 AM
I know what he said. My post was directed at the person who said that he had tendonitis, which he doesn't. :cool:

Gotchya. I wasn't sure if folks realized that it seems more serious this time, unfortunately. Hopefully tests come back good and he can get back into action soon. Sadly, I think this will be how the rest of his career goes. But hopefully he hangs on as long as he keeps producing.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Gotchya. I wasn't sure if folks realized that it seems more serious this time, unfortunately. Hopefully tests come back good and he can get back into action soon. Sadly, I think this will be how the rest of his career goes. But hopefully he hangs on as long as he keeps producing.

That's why I think it's good if the A's put him on the DL so that he can have all of next week off, since he wouldn't be playing in NL parks anyway. It gives him time to rest so that he can recharge for the rest of the season, especially since he's been playing so well recently.

ilsox7
06-15-2006, 11:28 AM
That's why I think it's good if the A's put him on the DL so that he can have all of next week off, since he wouldn't be playing in NL parks anyway. It gives him time to rest so that he can recharge for the rest of the season, especially since he's been playing so well recently.

Just a gut feeling (and hopefully wrong), but I would not be surprised if he is out til the ASB. Seems like this is recurring and hurting him quite a bit. Best bet is to let it heal completely and then give it a go.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Just a gut feeling (and hopefully wrong), but I would not be surprised if he is out til the ASB. Seems like this is recurring and hurting him quite a bit. Best bet is to let it heal completely and then give it a go.

It's possible. We'll know more after he's re-evaluated today.

Flight #24
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
First of all, let me say that Frank Thomas is THE REASON I am a White Sox fan, so he will always hold a special place in my heart.

However, this injury does not surprise me in the least. He has had nothing but problems in the last 4 years and it was inevitable.

On top of that, Frank is one of the biggest crybabies I have ever seen in professional sports. I have never seen an athlete come up with so many reasons to not play.

Whatever, not our problem anymore.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. Everyone knows that Frank is motivated by one thing: Hitting 500HRs. That means he will do whatever it takes to be on the field.

His only other motivation could be to get another big contract, which.....will take him proving that he can play regularly.

The only possible motivation for "finding things to sit out with" isto collect his contract, which is pretty minimal. Also, his history is that he sits with major injuries, not nagging ones, indicating that he generally plays through those.

Blob
06-15-2006, 12:35 PM
I miss Frank and all, but this is exactly why we got rid of him.

Thank gawd for Thome!

Get well soon Big Man!!

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry, but this is just plain dumb. Everyone knows that Frank is motivated by one thing: Hitting 500HRs. That means he will do whatever it takes to be on the field.

His only other motivation could be to get another big contract, which.....will take him proving that he can play regularly.

The only possible motivation for "finding things to sit out with" isto collect his contract, which is pretty minimal. Also, his history is that he sits with major injuries, not nagging ones, indicating that he generally plays through those.

Agreed. That guy isn't a Frank fan, in spite of what he said at the start of his post.

fquaye149
06-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Agreed. That guy isn't a Frank fan, in spite of what he said at the start of his post.

I'm the biggest frank fan ever...

...but i hate frank thomas

kind of like that infamous preface: "i ain't no racist/sexist/whatever...BUT"

ND_Sox_Fan
06-15-2006, 01:47 PM

Yeah - that golf ball-sized bone spur on his heel, the ripped tricep and the cracked foot are really all just "minor" injuries.

fquaye149
06-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Yeah - that golf ball-sized bone spur on his heel, the ripped tricep and the cracked foot are really all just "minor" injuries.

I have a feeling David Wells circa 2001 has come back to the future to post on WSI

hawkjt
06-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Guess the guy that called frank a nancy forgot that last year he played on a broken foot,. just like the year before.

Frank has only sat for major injuries and often did not sit quickly enough to minimize the injury.

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Ove and above his desire to get to 500 HR, what sense would it make for Frank to "look for reasons to sit out" when his contract with the A's is heavily loaded with incentives based on plate appearances? That's just stupid.

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2006, 06:04 PM
Wow! Nice improbably high standards you set there for yourself to be right. So, if Thome only hits 15 more HRs than Frank and only drives in 40 more RBI than Frank you expect an apology from those who supported the Thome trade?
The way Thome started off, all the bandwagoners and some wsi regulars were all like "oooo, this is vintage thome, he's gonna belt us 40 hrs and" etc etc etc talk. So people believe that getting Thome will be this massive offensive boost. Yes he is valuable since he's a lefty, i wont deny that but Thome was a huge risk due to injuries and you cannot evaluate a move untill u see it done thru a full season.

Also, despite pinch hittin and gettin an rbi yesterday, apparently Thomas is on the 15 day dl for the quad he hurt while sliding into third a few weeks ago. Hm, u'd think a crybaby selfish player wouldnt even bother to slide.

RKMeibalane
06-15-2006, 06:16 PM
The way Thome started off, all the bandwagoners and some wsi regulars were all like "oooo, this is vintage thome, he's gonna belt us 40 hrs and" etc etc etc talk. So people believe that getting Thome will be this massive offensive boost. Yes he is valuable since he's a lefty, i wont deny that but Thome was a huge risk due to injuries and you cannot evaluate a move untill u see it done thru a full season.

Also, despite pinch hittin and gettin an rbi yesterday, apparently Thomas is on the 15 day dl for the quad he hurt while sliding into third a few weeks ago. Hm, u'd think a crybaby selfish player wouldnt even bother to slide.

He wasn't pinch-hitting. He started the game as the DH, as usual, and was hit by a pitch during his first at-bat. He then lined a ball off the top of the LF wall but stopped at first because of his quad. Milton Bradley came on to pinch-run and finished the game as the DH.

Chips
06-15-2006, 08:08 PM
I love Frank, but he's not our problem. Add me to the "glad we got Thome" list.

Put me on that list as well. Although, Thome replaced Everett as out DH, not Big Frank.

I like Big Frank always will, but he's a busted leg. :tongue:

Nellie_Fox
06-16-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm glad the Sox have Thome too. I still follow Frank and want him to do well. I seriously don't understand why whenever anyone posts anything about Frank, (not suggesting the Sox should have kept him, just any mention at all) someone has to come on Frank bashing, calling him names, etc. You can be glad Thome is in a Sox uniform without hating Frank.

The Dude
06-16-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm glad the Sox have Thome too. I still follow Frank and want him to do well. I seriously don't understand why whenever anyone posts anything about Frank, (not suggesting the Sox should have kept him, just any mention at all) someone has to come on Frank bashing, calling him names, etc. You can be glad Thome is in a Sox uniform without hating Frank.

I have no ill will towards Frank and hope he does well, but his comments before the season obviously made it a Thome VS Thomas comparison all season long and beyond.

Count me in both of the "Glad we have Thome Club and hope he really pads his HOF numbers as a Sox player" and the "Retire Frank's number #35 once he's done playing around in that ugly ass green and yellow jersey and induct him in the HOF!"

StockdaleForVeep
06-16-2006, 04:14 AM
He wasn't pinch-hitting. He started the game as the DH, as usual, and was hit by a pitch during his first at-bat. He then lined a ball off the top of the LF wall but stopped at first because of his quad. Milton Bradley came on to pinch-run and finished the game as the DH.

Ah alright, i didnt read the whole line, i simply saw 1\1 and an rbi, didnt see what was the cause\what happened in the game.

Banix12
06-16-2006, 04:40 AM
Moneyball fans and haters will be interested to see who took Thomas' roster spot. The blue plate special himself, Jeremy Brown.

Dan H
06-16-2006, 09:50 AM
and here come the haters...

Sorry to hear it. Glad we got Thome.

Get well soon, Frank.

I don't hate Frank, but I have thought that his chronic injuries kept him from being a big part of the Sox during the last 6 years. I hope he gets 500 because I would hate to see a player miss a milestone due to injury. But I am glad he is on another team now.

RKMeibalane
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I have no ill will towards Frank and hope he does well, but his comments before the season obviously made it a Thome VS Thomas comparison all season long and beyond.

Frank's comments were made out of frustration. I don't mean to speak for everyone here, but I'm willing to believe that most of us have said things just as rude at some point in the past. That piece of **** right-fielder for the Tigers made comments that were much worse than what Frank said. If you want to hold Frank accountable for what he said, you must do the same for the other individual in question.

Both he and Thome have said that the two of them are friends and have great respect for each other. I think it's time to let that, as the only people who keep perpetuating the Thome vs. Thomas comparision are people on this board. It's become almost as annoying as Hangar's stupid anti-Cub rants.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
:KW

"I must stop using my super-powers for evil.......must stop.....stop"

spawn
06-16-2006, 03:44 PM
This sucks. Talk about bad luck for the big guy. Get back soon Frank!

Frankfan4life
06-17-2006, 12:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Frank is out due to an injury. I'm hoping he recovers quickly.

The Dude
06-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Leg injury? Cue Chips and his standard catch phrase...

damn Chips stealing my lines!!!:angry::angry: You should be saying "Cue the Dude and his standard catch phrase BUSTED LEG!" It's not your fault that Chips beats my lines into his own.

bigfoot
06-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Doesn't it make more sense to "shut down" any full-time DH in the AL during inter-League play, especially when most of the play at this time is in NL parks?

If Jim Thome was nicked up I'll bet this would be the time to rest him...

RKMeibalane
06-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Doesn't it make more sense to "shut down" any full-time DH in the AL during inter-League play, especially when most of the play at this time is in NL parks?

If Jim Thome was nicked up I'll bet this would be the time to rest him...

It does. That's part of the reason why he's on the DL. The other part is that they want him to rest the quad so that it doesn't continue bothering him as the season goes on. Better to have him sit for a while then risk hurting himself more seriously. He's been Oakland's best hitter over the past month.