PDA

View Full Version : MLB Is A Joke

DickAllen72
06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
MLB is a ****in' joke. A.J Pierzynski gets drilled twice on two pitches and the umpire issues a warning to the Sox. :angry:

A.J. gets punched in the mouth, does not retaliate and gets thrown out of the game and fined $2000. In the meantime, a month later thug Michelle Barrett is still playing and talking about how he is "working on a strategy" to reduce his suspension.:angry: :angry:

Grimsley gets suspended for 50 games even though he is retired and never tested positive, yet Bonds, Giambi et al are still playing and a thug who physically assaults opposing players is being slapped on the wrist with a wet noodle.:angry: :angry: :angry:

This is getting ridiculous.

StatHead21
06-14-2006, 09:53 PM
As dirty as Baroid and Giambi are, they didn't get caught while the MLB had a testing policy. So the MLB is powerless against them.

jdm2662
06-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I agree with your assessment, except Grimsley did test positive in 2003... Of course, it was kept secert.

DickAllen72
06-14-2006, 10:09 PM
As dirty as Baroid and Giambi are, they didn't get caught while the MLB had a testing policy. So the MLB is powerless against them.

Grimsley didn't test positive since this fifty game policy has been in effect. He got suspended for admitting he used PHD. Bonds and Giambi also admitted this. Plus, to make it even more of a joke, the guy is suspended fifty games after he is out of baseball.

MLB is a joke. It has no credibility. None.

A.J. Pierzynski has become a target for every punk out there for playing the game the right way--running to first on dropped third strikes, being called safe after being tagged without the ball, cleanly bowling over a clown blocking the plate without the ball, restraining himself from retaliating after being sucker punched, tackled by a third baseman (Boone), getting drilled twice tonight, etc. How does MLB protect him??? By allowing everyone a free shot at him then warning the Sox not to stand up for him. Oh yeah, and lets fine A.J. to boot!:angry: :angry: :angry:

**** MLB. They have zero credibility.

DumpJerry
06-14-2006, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry, but this is not Congress-they are prohibited from making ex post facto laws (making a past action illegal). Having said that, I do realize that the MLPA exerts a ton of power over MLB. I blame the owners for this. The owners are short-sighted goofs who elected one of their own Commissioner to rubber stamp whatever they wanted to do and not take a strong stand against the union.

Why, oh why, was Bart Giammatti taken from us too soon? He had the cajones to do the right thing. Selig is the definition of a tool, a total tool.

rookie
06-14-2006, 10:38 PM
MLB is a joke. It has no credibility. None.

A.J. Pierzynski has become a target for every punk out there for playing the game the right way--running to first on dropped third strikes, being called safe after being tagged without the ball, cleanly bowling over a clown blocking the plate without the ball, restraining himself from retaliating after being sucker punched, tackled by a third baseman (Boone), getting drilled twice tonight, etc. How does MLB protect him??? By allowing everyone a free shot at him then warning the Sox not to stand up for him. Oh yeah, and lets fine A.J. to boot!:angry: :angry: :angry:

**** MLB. They have zero credibility.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Basically in so many words, MLB has given other teams permission to physically assault AJ even if it is not provoked. I hate this unfair BS. I should just tear my eyes away from the message boards tonight.

IlliniSox4Life
06-14-2006, 10:49 PM
I apologize if I am wrong, but my impression is that Bonds and Giambi admitted under SEALED TESTIMONY that was leaked. This is sealed though, and
the MLB would have no proof that Bonds and Giambi did anything to suspsend them, and they can't get at the testimony.

Grimsley openly admitted to breaking the policy when it was in effect. If Bonds and Giambi were to come out and publicly say it, they would get suspended too.

Regarding the suspension of Barret, yes, the appeals process is a joke, but it has nothing to do with AJ. Anderson has yet to go up for his appeal as well.

Regarding the warnings, I can't say that Ozzie's reputation doesn't play into them. No ump wants to be the one to let a game get out of control, and when you have guys obviously throwing at us and a manager obviously willing to retaliate, then it is understandable for the ump to issue a warning to us. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that you can understand the ump wanting to just warn the benchs and be done with it right away without letting it escalate.

In summary, the MLB is not a joke. It has flaws like anything. It is still the greatest sport in the world and they get plenty of things right, they just manage to **** things up every once in a while, and Bud manages to grossly mishandle steroids.

GregoryEtc
06-14-2006, 11:06 PM

The MLB had no policy against against hanging out and taking money from gamblers either. The commissioner's job was created to do what's best for the game. Has Selig done ANYTHING that's good for the game?

DickAllen72
06-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Regarding the suspension of Barret, yes, the appeals process is a joke, but it has nothing to do with AJ. Anderson has yet to go up for his appeal as well.

Like I said, a ****ing joke!

Regarding the warnings, I can't say that Ozzie's reputation doesn't play into them. No ump wants to be the one to let a game get out of control, and when you have guys obviously throwing at us and a manager obviously willing to retaliate, then it is understandable for the ump to issue a warning to us. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that you can understand the ump wanting to just warn the benchs and be done with it right away without letting it escalate.
When did Ozzie ever retaliate? He never gets a chance. They always warn him first. A ****ing joke!

In summary, the MLB is not a joke. It has flaws like anything. It is still the greatest sport in the world and they get plenty of things right, they just manage to **** things up every once in a while, and Bud manages to grossly mishandle steroids.
Baseball the game is great. But MLB, the administration is a joke.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-14-2006, 11:22 PM
Having said that, I do realize that the MLPA exerts a ton of power over MLB. I blame the owners for this. The owners are short-sighted goofs who elected one of their own Commissioner to rubber stamp whatever they wanted to do and not take a strong stand against the union.

Why, oh why, was Bart Giammatti taken from us too soon? He had the cajones to do the right thing. Selig is the definition of a tool, a total tool.

I don't agree. Owners and Players had plenty of reason to cover this mess up since the 1980s (when this first came out in the public - September 1988 to be exact - Tom Boswell - Washington Post) the main reason being dollars as in billions of dollars. Neither has been credible on this issue. Owners and players have lied to congress and the public on several occasions regarding this issue. Selig's idea of a drug testing plan (originally with ZERO PUBLIC penalties - he lied to congress under oath about this as well) not covering the cream or the clear of any other HGH is a complete joke. He has the hammer (Congress / Public Opinion) but he feels if they shut up and do nothing this will go away.

Even though I love baseball I am glad law enforcement is going after these criminals and if baseball has to go through the mud for several more years and lose millions of fans to finally rectify this issue on a go forward than so be it.

BadBobbyJenks
06-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Agree withe everything DickAllen is saying about the bean balls. Its ridiculous how the umps have taken these situations out of the players hands. It seems like it happens to the sox more than anyone else, which I just dont get

IlliniSox4Life
06-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Like I said, a ****ing joke!
Their appeals process is a joke, but I wouldn't condemn the entire league because of it.

When did Ozzie ever retaliate? He never gets a chance. They always warn him first. A ****ing joke!
Do you doubt that he would retaliate given the chance? If he wasn't going to, why are you upset, the warning meant nothing. Ozzie is a hothead who talks a lot and it's no secret that he will bean somebody if he thinks it's appropriate.

Baseball the game is great. But MLB, the administration is a joke.
Selig has done a less than stellar job. If you want to tell me Selig is a joke, fine. Selig is not the MLB, he just leads it. Condemning all of MLB because of some of the actions of Selig regarding steroids, and tying them to the actions of the umpires is a stretch.

fusillirob1983
06-14-2006, 11:56 PM

If they were going to do any sort of warning, it should have been done after AJ got hit the first time.

oeo
06-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Do you doubt that he would retaliate given the chance? If he wasn't going to, why are you upset, the warning meant nothing. Ozzie is a hothead who talks a lot and it's no secret that he will bean somebody if he thinks it's appropriate.
See, that assumption, is the exact reason people dislike Ozzie and he is given warnings for never doing anything. How many people has Ozzie intentionally beaned? So he says some stuff to the media, so what?

I don't think he's a hothead at all...

TheOldRoman
06-15-2006, 12:21 AM
MLB is a joke. More importantly, the umpiring is a joke.
Major league umpires hate Ozzie. Ozzie has no tolerance for stupid, lazy umpires getting blatant calls wrong. This all started when Ozzie got thrown out in 04 for arguing with Wendlestedt. That lazy piece of **** didn't put himself in position to see the play at second, and as a result, he called Carlos Lee out on a steal attempt even though he was never tagged. When Ozzie went out to argue, he was immidiately tossed. The ump told him "Shut the **** up. You don't know what you are talking about."

Since then, the umps have shown that they will screw over the Sox any chance they get. We have been pelted time and time again by opposing teams. Their pitchers never get thrown out for hitting us. Oakland beaned the hell out of us last year. So did Baltimore. Now Texas is doing it.

Those teams are allowed to hit us time and time again. Only after the second or third HBP will the umpire warn them, but he warns the Sox, too. This not only allows the opposition to get away with no retalliation, but also, it takes away the inside pitch. However, I have seen us hit after warnings were given, and the opponent wasn't thrown out.

Tomorrow, I imagine both teams will be warned before the game. It doesn't matter if they aren't, because the umps won't hesitate to throw our pitchers out when no warnings were issued. It happened to us before. Today, Padilla's second HBP was so blatant that he should have been immediately thrown out, whether he was warned or not. But since it is against us, he had free reign. If, for instance, Buehrle hits the first batter tomorrow, he will be ejected. I can promise you that, whether there was a warning or not. Umps have discretion, and it is bull****. The umps hate Ozzie, and they have been taking it out on the Sox.

Other teams know what's going on, and they know what they can get away with. Until we retalliate, they aren't going to stop. The current system is horrible. If there were no ejections, and players settled it with fists, this wouldn't be happening. When one team is allowed to drill another time and time again and hiding behind the ump's warning, it will continue.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Big Bird was also tossed tonight for hitting a batter after Posada was nailed.

There should be no warnings unless players from both squads were hit at least once. The current system (1 team hits the other and the other team can do squat) is nonsense. I am not surprised this policy started under Bud Selig's reign.

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2006, 12:55 AM
There should be no warnings unless players from both squads were hit at least once. The current system (1 team hits the other and the other team can do squat) is nonsense. I am not surprised this policy started under Bud Selig's reign.

Or, at least warn ONLY the team who's done the beaning in cases like tonight!

IlliniSox4Life
06-15-2006, 01:03 AM
See, that assumption, is the exact reason people dislike Ozzie and he is given warnings for never doing anything. How many people has Ozzie intentionally beaned? So he says some stuff to the media, so what?

I don't think he's a hothead at all...

i never said that Ozzie will bean somebody everytime we get hit. That is the assumption the media makes. He didn't bean anybody in LA when it seemed clear that Escobar was trying to hit AJ because Ozzie didn't think it was right.

But if Ozzie thinks they are intentionally throwing at us he will without a doubt throw at them. What is the assumption about that? Ozzie is not shy about the fact that he will hit somebody, for god's sakes he was livid with Tracey because he didn't.

And Ozzie is absolutely a hothead. He has been keeping it under control a lot more lately, but he has flipped out over many things in the media. Maggs, Frank, whatever. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, i'm just saying that it if one can't see why the umpires are quick to warn him and at least understand why, then one is blind

TornLabrum
06-15-2006, 02:01 AM
In reality, the only player who has ever been beened during Ozzie's tenure that I can recall is Travis Hafner last year. Beaning is hitting someone on the "bean," i.e. the head. Beaning is a bad thing. Throwing at another batter in retalliation, as long as it isn't the head, is part of the game.

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2006, 02:43 AM

So since padilla drilled two guys, its ok to allow vasquez as "retalliation" to fastball barajas in the face possibly killing him with out any punishment since the sox didnt drill anyone, they'd be ok cuz it woulda been a 2 to 0 ratio before vasquez hitting him?? If the sox wanted retaliation, they shoulda either scored a run or spiked a player during base running. Blame the sox for not retaliating, not the ump. Blame the entire team for those called third strikes

Playah
06-15-2006, 03:09 AM
The umpire of today's game should be fired. Period.

TDog
06-15-2006, 05:28 AM

This policy started long before Selig's reign. It also is misunderstood by many fans. Sometimed warnings aren't issued until a batter from the other team is hit. Sometimes warnings are issued before anyone is hit.

Players can be, and sometimes are, ejected for hitting batters before umpres have issued any warning. On at least one occasion in the last couple of years, it was a Sox pitcher who was ejected before a warning was issued.

I also have seen pitchers not be ejected after hitting batters afters warnings were issued. Regardless of the warning situation, if an umpire believes a pitcher is intentionally throwing at someone, he can eject him.

There is a school of thought that hitting a batter in retaliation is a more serious crime. The second incident involves a premeditated assault on an associate of the man who committed (perhaps accidentally, perhaps in the heat of passion or maybe even in cold blood) the first assault.

Thome25
06-15-2006, 06:05 AM
Does anyone know what padilla and/or the rangers have against AJ?! AJ hasn't had any run ins with padilla in the past has he?!:angry:

I'm just tying to figure out why in the hell padilla would want to plunk AJ TWICE. Or was padilla just trying to look like a bada** to the other players who may dislike AJ by plunking him?!:angry:

Can anyone help me with this issue?!

Because if padilla plunked AJ TWICE and there is no past history between the two, and he plunked him just to look like a bada** someone shoulda charged the mound on him and beat the snot outta him. :angry:

wassagstdu
06-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Ozzie is a hothead who talks a lot and it's no secret that he will bean somebody if he thinks it's appropriate.

To BEAN someone is to hit him in the HEAD. I am sure that is not what you meant, but what you said is a serious accusation.

wassagstdu
06-15-2006, 07:09 AM
If the ump issues a warning after AJ gets drilled twice by a pitcher who is showing pinpoint control otherwise that means he recognizes the strong possibility that it was intentional. Rather than warn the Sox to prevent retaliation he should eject the pitcher. End of problem, and much less likely to happen in the future.

samram
06-15-2006, 07:13 AM
First, I agree that MLB seems to be giving teams a free shot or two at AJ.

Second, if Ozzie has a reputation for retaliation, I would dispute that. I think I heard a few weeks ago that since Ozzie's been the manager the Sox are around minus 50 in terms of HBP.

The real problem last night is that Cuzzi didn't have the ****ing balls to just kick Padilla out of the game and let things proceed. The guy seemed to have good stuff all night except when AJ was up.

IlliniSox4Life
06-15-2006, 09:05 AM
To BEAN someone is to hit him in the HEAD. I am sure that is not what you meant, but what you said is a serious accusation.

I didn't mean Ozzie would throw at their heads. I have always used bean in reference to intentionally hitting someone anywhere. Of course I didn't mean that he would try to hit them in the head, I guess I just misuse the word. Either way though, it's no more a serious accusation than the people accusing MLB of intentionally allowing people to throw at the Sox without any consequences.

SoxFan78
06-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I also have seen pitchers not be ejected after hitting batters afters warnings were issued. Regardless of the warning situation, if an umpire believes a pitcher is intentionally throwing at someone, he can eject him.

This is why the home plate umpire was clueless. When Padilla hit AJ on the first pitch, in the same place, FOR A SECOND TIME, he should of thrown Padilla out of the game. Instead he lets Padilla keep pitching, and warns the benches, effectively protecting Padilla.

Vasquez messed up by not beaning anybody.

Tracey messed up by not listening to Ozzie. Should Ozzie of sent Tracey down? Who knows, but we should give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt on this one. He's old school, and thats what makes Ozzie, well Ozzie.

NorthSideSox72
06-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Major league umpires hate Ozzie. Ozzie has no tolerance for stupid, lazy umpires getting blatant calls wrong. This all started when Ozzie got thrown out in 04 for arguing with Wendlestedt. That lazy piece of **** didn't put himself in position to see the play at second, and as a result, he called Carlos Lee out on a steal attempt even though he was never tagged. When Ozzie went out to argue, he was immidiately tossed. The ump told him "Shut the **** up. You don't know what you are talking about."

Since then, the umps have shown that they will screw over the Sox any chance they get. We have been pelted time and time again by opposing teams. Their pitchers never get thrown out for hitting us. Oakland beaned the hell out of us last year. So did Baltimore. Now Texas is doing it.

Those teams are allowed to hit us time and time again. Only after the second or third HBP will the umpire warn them, but he warns the Sox, too. This not only allows the opposition to get away with no retalliation, but also, it takes away the inside pitch. However, I have seen us hit after warnings were given, and the opponent wasn't thrown out.

Tomorrow, I imagine both teams will be warned before the game. It doesn't matter if they aren't, because the umps won't hesitate to throw our pitchers out when no warnings were issued. It happened to us before. Today, Padilla's second HBP was so blatant that he should have been immediately thrown out, whether he was warned or not. But since it is against us, he had free reign. If, for instance, Buehrle hits the first batter tomorrow, he will be ejected. I can promise you that, whether there was a warning or not. Umps have discretion, and it is bull****. The umps hate Ozzie, and they have been taking it out on the Sox.

Other teams know what's going on, and they know what they can get away with. Until we retalliate, they aren't going to stop. The current system is horrible. If there were no ejections, and players settled it with fists, this wouldn't be happening. When one team is allowed to drill another time and time again and hiding behind the ump's warning, it will continue.

So all the umpires are after the Sox? A bit tinfoil-hat, no?

I agree that the ump should have only warned Texas. But, I think Ozzie, and Vazquez, and maybe Tracey, in addition to Padilla of course, all deserve blame here.

The Immigrant
06-15-2006, 10:17 AM
In reality, the only player who has ever been beened during Ozzie's tenure that I can recall is Travis Hafner last year. Beaning is hitting someone on the "bean," i.e. the head. Beaning is a bad thing. Throwing at another batter in retalliation, as long as it isn't the head, is part of the game.

In all fairness, that was a Buehrle curve ball that failed to break and Hafner "failed" to get out of the way. I don't think anyone thought that was an intentional beaning.

Settembrini
06-15-2006, 10:27 AM
In the AL, the only proper retaliation is to charge the mound. Hitting another position player wouldn't have achieved anything. A pitcher needs to have concerns for his own personal safety so he thinks twice the next time he decides to drill someone. AJ's one of the biggest guys in the league, he had no excuse not to go out there and, as Hawk so eloquently put it, kick his butt. Any suspension would be worth it.

ewokpelts
06-15-2006, 10:30 AM

Other teams know what's going on, and they know what they can get away with. Until we retalliate, they aren't going to stop. The current system is horrible. If there were no ejections, and players settled it with fists, this wouldn't be happening. When one team is allowed to drill another time and time again and hiding behind the ump's warning, it will continue.if this were true...aj would have been out in game 2 of the alcs

jdm2662
06-15-2006, 10:39 AM

:?:

How many close/wrong calls went in favor of the White Sox in the playoffs last year? Come on, Randy Johnson got tossed yesterday for not even hitting a player. He just threw inside. It's a problem all around baseball, not just for the Sox. The way to handle this situation is to stick it up their asses on the field. HBP wars really don't do much, unless the run scored...

Lip Man 1
06-15-2006, 11:20 AM
What the White Sox need to do is pick a time and place of their choosing and get the first shot in. Not wait until after 'warnings' have been issued. There's no rule that says the Sox can't wait months or even years before getting even.

Lip

miker
06-15-2006, 01:03 PM
In all fairness, that was a Buehrle curve ball that failed to break and Hafner "failed" to get out of the way. I don't think anyone thought that was an intentional beaning.
Exactly. Most "intentional" HBPs are done with an average fast ball aimed at the side or behind. Even in the heat of the moment, only a complete nut would throw heat at someone's head...and that nut would not be welcome at the next MLBPA meeting.

Most of the "beanings" I've seen were on guys who are diving over the plate and didn't react fast enough.

Hokiesox
06-15-2006, 01:32 PM
The MLB had no policy against against hanging out and taking money from gamblers either. The commissioner's job was created to do what's best for the game. Has Selig done ANYTHING that's good for the game?

The commissioner's job was created as a scapegoat for the owners not doing anything following the black sox scandal. The owners were taking heat for not doing anything, they asked Judge Landis to come in and do it for them. He did, and he's taken the heat ever since.

UofCSoxFan
06-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Just got back from Europe....are you kidding me that Barret hasn't served any of his suspension yet? How long does this appeals process take? It's been a month.

vernhillssoxfan
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
He is serving it now. He is serving all 10 games.